PDA

View Full Version : the ultimate f1 diff

hpgod
2007.07.31, 09:42 AM
Has anyone build a F1 diff using the new atomic/pn MR02 10 ball (12 ball Kawada) 44tooth spur gears?
If so can you get it to mesh right with the stock read pod or do you need the alloy rear pod?

arch2b
2007.08.05, 05:19 PM
do you mean the atomic motor pod? does anyone else make one?

hpgod
2007.08.06, 06:33 AM
I'll rephrase it can the stock kyosho rear pod be used or do you need the atomic diff mount.

domer
2007.08.07, 05:55 PM
Hey Art..

You wouldn't happen to be the same Art Shull that I graduated with in 1996 from UC?

If so - shoot me an email through here. We're trying to reconnect a large group of us back together.

monkey19
2007.08.07, 09:07 PM
I'll rephrase it can the stock kyosho rear pod be used or do you need the atomic diff mount.

you can use the stock pod

ruf
2007.08.10, 02:28 AM
Not to discourage anyone, but I don't really see the benefit from this. A bearing supported spur is nice, but the weight penalty is pretty high for the bearing + 4 extra balls. I've found that the Kyosho F1 diff is possibly the smoothest diff around in this scale.

hpgod
2007.08.11, 08:53 PM
Not to discourage anyone, but I don't really see the benefit from this. A bearing supported spur is nice, but the weight penalty is pretty high for the bearing + 4 extra balls. I've found that the Kyosho F1 diff is possibly the smoothest diff around in this scale.

My 10 ball PN mr02 diff is not bearing supported. 4 cermic balls is tiny in weight. I take more then that off the shafts and wheels. In theory the 10 ball should give the same rotation with less slippage off the line.

ruf
2007.08.12, 11:26 PM
Sand the rings with 800-1000 grit. This flattens the rings and gives more forward bite so you can run a looser setting for ultra smooth differential action. Old 1/12 trick.

hpgod
2007.08.13, 12:26 PM
I alwas wet sand them on 2000 on a glass plate till the finish is across the entire ring:)
Joe
Since you have not been around since I asked the question.
Do you Notice any difference between the white ceramic and the black ceramic diff balls if grip settings?

ruf
2007.08.14, 12:43 AM
I've only used black ceramic balls, so I can't say. I find that the thrust bearing is usually the culprit if a diff feels rough. And 2000 grit is too fine. You want the rings to have a certain amount of texture to grip the balls in order to run the diff looser. You're trying to flatten the rings and increase the grip, not polish them which would actually reduce the grip. The sanded rings will actually bed in with the balls and the diff may require adjustment once everything is all broken in.

From the Irrgang Racing site:
"1. Why do you sand your diff rings instead of polishing them?
R/C differentials are a friction style differential. The diff balls (we suggest our grade 25 diff balls P/N IRS204) need to grip the diff ring to work efficiently. If you polish the diff rings, the diff will slip and therefore be less efficient. Roughen the diff rings with sandpaper to create more grip for the diff balls. By using this method you should not have to over tighten the diff nut to stop the spur gear from slipping, this is when most diffs are damaged.
I suggest you try this experiment if you don't believe me. Build a diff polishing the diff rings and feel how it works. Then build a diff using the method described in question #2, You'll feel a definite difference. As an added bonus, when the rings start to wear, resand and reuse.. You'll get more races out of the same rings and they get better each time you sand them! This trick will work on all ball differentials.
2. How do you sand your diff rings?
I place a sheet of 600 grit wet/dry sand paper ( for 1/8" balls) or 800 grit wet/dry sand paper (for 3/32" balls) on a flat surface. Place the rings on the sand paper and using your fingers or our Diff Sanding Tool P/N IRS509 and sand the shine off the rings. I do both sides but you only have to do the side facing the diff balls. I make sure they're clean and free of any debris and making sure no excess diff lube gets on them when I put my diff together. (Use only a small amount of diff lube on each diff ball)"

hpgod
2007.08.14, 07:07 AM
cool thankyou for the info
I always felt the difference on and off the track in smoothness for the stock and polished diff rings.

DeOz
2007.09.12, 12:41 PM
Good F1 diff thoughts:) I had pretty good luck with the Kyosho ball diff but I re-built it by sanding the disks by sanding them down with some 1500 grit paper and using the Tamiya “anti-wear” grease (super thick I would almost not call it grease).