PDA

View Full Version : motor breakin

rc_speed
2007.08.07, 12:25 PM
Hello,
I got a new mini-z that I am going to race. do I need to break in the motor?

If so, how is this done with these little cars?

thanks,
tim

jbevins
2007.08.07, 03:57 PM
this is how I do it, first off oil the bushings on each end of the motor, then attach 1 AAA battery let it run till it's almost dead, shoot it with some motor cleaner let dry then oil the motor again, I know there are other ways but this seems to be the best method that works for me

rc_speed
2007.08.07, 11:08 PM
thanks.

I did this and the motor ran for almost an hour. Is there a faster way?

BobT
2007.08.27, 05:41 PM
Water dipping is another method. Use one aa or aaa cell and while its running dip the motor in a glass of water. when the water starts to turn grey you are done. The grey stuff is carbon from the brushes.

This only takes a few minutes at most. Spray the motor out with WD-40 and re-oil the bushings.

The water puts a slight load on the motor but also keeps it cool. This will add a few hundred RPM to most motors.

RussF
2007.11.15, 04:02 PM
This will add a few hundred RPM to most motors.
How and Why?
I would like to know the advantage of breaking in a motor Vs. just installing it and running it. What does "breaking it in" do? I would guess it has something to do with seating the brushes. But how does a breakin without a load seat the brushes better than just running the car around with a load on the motor? :confused:

Spoon
2007.11.15, 04:11 PM
You are correct that it helps "seat the brushes". What the water method or slave motor or 1 battery method do is help achieve the seating without too much arching. I think the arching causes less efficient transfer between the brushes and the comm. At least that's my understanding.

There's a lot of discussions on the forums regarding various break in methods. I am sure the answer is here somewhere.

Gigibesi
2007.11.16, 07:36 AM
Water dipping is another method. Use one aa or aaa cell and while its running dip the motor in a glass of water. when the water starts to turn grey you are done. The grey stuff is carbon from the brushes.

This only takes a few minutes at most. Spray the motor out with WD-40 and re-oil the bushings.

The water puts a slight load on the motor but also keeps it cool. This will add a few hundred RPM to most motors.

is the water dipping method only applycable to motors with bushings.... how abt ball bearing can motor??

Spoon
2007.11.16, 08:31 AM
is the water dipping method only applycable to motors with bushings.... how abt ball bearing can motor??

It definitely applies to BB motors. The water dipping helps seat the brushes and the commutator. The bushings/bearings aren't really a factor. You should oil the bushings/bearings when you are done though.

The water breakin method is not useful at all for a brushless motor since there are no brushes to shape.