PDA

View Full Version : Office Carpet??

minittrackmann
2007.08.12, 04:50 PM
Does Loews and HD sell office carpet? How much does it cost, and normally how big are each pieces. Also if you have a track made of office carpet, can you please post pics of it. Thanks..
Cody

arch2b
2007.08.12, 05:06 PM
ask for remenant peice. some carpet shops will deep discount remenant carpets to get rig of them. i bought a 12'x13' carpet similar to office carpet for $150. they included padding and hemmed edging which you don't need but you get my point. you may be able to grap a decent size peice for much cheaper than any store will sell cut sizes.

byebye
2007.08.12, 06:40 PM
Do a search on Google for "carpet track" and there is a article about a track for micro rs4's. They talk about the carpet for tracks. You can also buy it in squares I think or sqaure yards for much less than what a hobby shop would want.

Kris

hrdrvr
2007.08.15, 10:53 AM
Im not sure what "office carpet" is specifically, but Lowes and HD both sell carpet that is good for racing Zs. It comes in 12' width and you can get it any length you want.

arch2b
2007.08.15, 10:58 AM
it generally refers to low knap carpet types that are made for high traffic. the residnetial equivalent would be similar to berber carpet almost. i've got tons of samples (24x24 squares) from work. you can try making a track out of sample squares but you'll have tons of tile joints that will not be as smooth as foam tile joints.

imxlr8ed
2007.08.15, 05:12 PM
My first track... office carpet, plywood folding bridge, heat bent PCV rails held to track with automotive panel fasteners. Of course... this was all pre-RCP, now I recommend RCP tiles to everyone. I spent around $200 total on this track (maybe more with the landscaping), better to just go RCP right off the bat!

hrdrvr
2007.08.16, 09:31 AM
Thanks Arch. Thats what I assumed, but never heard it refered to as that. Its got to be the same stuff we race on, and consequently, have in our office :D

Nive track imx! I like the smooth curves of that compared to RCP, which is why I didnt invest straight into RCP. Weve kind of adapted to an RCP-ish layout now though, and are considering joining the hfay series soon, so RCP is on the horizon.

Our first carpet track, which is nice and wide (another reason we didnt want RCP).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/tracks/2007-05-08005.jpg

And our new layout, which is equvilent to RCP track width.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/freekfornature/RCs/tracks/2007-07-24003.jpg

Mcclaren27
2007.08.17, 06:30 AM
My first track... office carpet, plywood folding bridge, heat bent PCV rails held to track with automotive panel fasteners. Of course... this was all pre-RCP, now I recommend RCP tiles to everyone. I spent around $200 total on this track (maybe more with the landscaping), better to just go RCP right off the bat!

See, I like the one-of-a-kind tracks though. But I, too, joined the RCP. I simply don't have the time to be creative, although I do have some ideas about an infield and pit area that shouldn't be too difficult to pull off. And I don't mean just a pull-off area. But an area when you drive through it, your tires would have dirt removed - similar to getting new tires in a pit stop.

I hear about the HFAY track, which is two RCP wide Ls, 80 tiles I believe?? Two questions:

1 - Is there a certain configuration for these two tracks to meet HFAY?

2 - Would two wide Os accomplish the same task?

byebye
2007.08.17, 06:40 AM
www.howfastareyou.com The info is there along with the requirements. I think though you can only ocnfigure the tracks with two wide L's.

Kris

Mcclaren27
2007.08.17, 06:45 AM
thanks. I should have figured there was an HFAY web site. Sometimes I challenge myself, like not asking what HFAY stood for until I figured it out, which was last night. I didn't need it for HFAY, but if you google "acronym", there's a web site (s) that allows you to search just about any acronym you can think and breaks them down by industry or use. Has come in handy at work once or twice.

byebye
2007.08.17, 06:48 AM
I think there is a club close by to you though. The rules say minimum of 3 have to compete.

It's a great racing series. I have all the gear just not the room and time as a family. I used to race with the Stafford crew in England and it was a very good club.

Kris

Mcclaren27
2007.08.17, 10:26 AM
I think there is a club close by to you though. The rules say minimum of 3 have to compete.

It's a great racing series. I have all the gear just not the room and time as a family. I used to race with the Stafford crew in England and it was a very good club.

Kris

Thanks. Yes the dorksonwheels is about 25 minutes from. For now, the family is thrilled to race in the basement. I'll probably be the one that break out and heads up there with my brother and his grandson. I actually drive the NSX Takata for now and the McClaren belongs to the Mrs. I'll send out a pic this weekend. You won't believe what she did to that body, decoration-wise.

imxlr8ed
2007.08.17, 02:32 PM
We'll be there August the 26th, and also feel free to join us in September as well for our next HFAY event!

Oh... and we also run Thursday nights at Gasman's basement track, if interested, just post on his thread on our site.