PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run the loop OVER the track?

Mini-Me-Zee
2007.08.19, 06:37 PM
Hi,

I am considering building a bridge (out of PVC or wood) to suspend my Core loop over the track. Has anyone else tried this? Would this eliminate any interference issues with metal in the floor?

Thanks!

byebye
2007.08.19, 06:51 PM
Sounds like it may. Are the cables shielded?

Kris

Draconious
2007.08.19, 08:29 PM
You will have to put the tags on the antennas... they want to be really close to that loop when they pass or they start missing...

What I am curious about is.. if the loop was left a perfect circle... if it will count as the tags pass through the circle... it should... (I have a really wack idea Ive been pondering, but it might require a slightly larger loop).

imxlr8ed
2007.08.19, 08:48 PM
When I saw the segment on DIY where they were using the Core for 10th scales, they had it on a bridge over the cars. If I recall correctly, it looked about 18" tall. I think the range increases when it's out in the open.

Mini-Me-Zee
2007.08.19, 10:58 PM
You will have to put the tags on the antennas... they want to be really close to that loop when they pass or they start missing...

What I am curious about is.. if the loop was left a perfect circle... if it will count as the tags pass through the circle... it should... (I have a really wack idea Ive been pondering, but it might require a slightly larger loop).

Well, when the loop is on the floor, it is ~3" from the transponder if the transponder is taped to the inside of the vehicle roof. If the loop is suspended over the cars, perhaps it can be done so that it is still only ~3" from the transponder. My thinking is (and correct me if I am wrong, guys) that the bridge does not need to be taller than the car antenna's maximum height...perhaps the car antenna can be bent such that it "slopes" backward toward the rear of the car, effectively "lowering" it. Then, the car antenna would be able to pass beneath a bridge a few inches high, enabling the loop to still remain close to the transponder taped to the inside of the vehicle roof.

I would do this test ASAP myself, except I am currently several hundred miles away from my CORE system on a little R & R trip...

Mcclaren27
2007.08.22, 03:47 PM
Well, when the loop is on the floor, it is ~3" from the transponder if the transponder is taped to the inside of the vehicle roof. If the loop is suspended over the cars, perhaps it can be done so that it is still only ~3" from the transponder. My thinking is (and correct me if I am wrong, guys) that the bridge does not need to be taller than the car antenna's maximum height...perhaps the car antenna can be bent such that it "slopes" backward toward the rear of the car, effectively "lowering" it. Then, the car antenna would be able to pass beneath a bridge a few inches high, enabling the loop to still remain close to the transponder taped to the inside of the vehicle roof.

I would do this test ASAP myself, except I am currently several hundred miles away from my CORE system on a little R & R trip...

I tried this and found that the effective range is not 8", as is written in the manual. Rather it's more like 3"-4". What I was trying was simply using two light dut curtain rods, suspended from the ceiling to a height just high enough to clear the antennas. I lowered each attempt and found 3-4" was the only decent range. I also tried without the thin metal rods and came up the same.

I, too, saw that picture of the bridge and am still wondering how they got the system to be effective at that range. I would LOVE to take mine off the floor of my basement. 8" off the floor could be the differene between a soggy useless unit and endless hours of racing fun. Heck, 3" off the floor would probably save it.

I haven't tried the antenna trick. I do have some guitar wire though, so maybe I'll try that. I was intiallt leary about bending an antenna though.

arch2b
2007.08.22, 04:25 PM
in the core documents, testing signal strength should be good to approx. 8" i think. you can play with the height until the signal strength degrades to the point of skipping laps etc. i do not believe you are required to keep it within 3" at all provided you still get the necessary signal strength.

byebye
2007.08.22, 08:28 PM
So your suspending the whole loop horizontally? You mean the cars aren't driving thru the loop but rather under it?

Kris

Mcclaren27
2007.08.22, 09:42 PM
So your suspending the whole loop horizontally? You mean the cars aren't driving thru the loop but rather under it?

Kris

Yes under the horizontal loop. Come to think of it. The picture of the bridge I saw, I don't think the loop could have been horizontal. I'll have to relook at that.

No, you won't get 8". I've tried scanning all day and twice on Sunday. 3", maybe 4". I wrote Core. They said lay it under the track. Duh... Then why print that it has a range of 8"??? Is the argument that florescent lights, etc. provide some interference? Don't know. Maybe scanning requires a stronger signal than racing??? Doubt it, but it's worth a try.

imxlr8ed
2007.08.23, 02:28 AM
After seeing that show, I was wondering if there was some kind of "signal boost" setup he had going there. Makes sense if you want to market to the whole RC community.

Mcclaren27
2007.08.23, 06:34 AM
After seeing that show, I was wondering if there was some kind of "signal boost" setup he had going there. Makes sense if you want to market to the whole RC community.

A signal boost perhaps, but how? Removing possible interference, such as florescent lights, which in my house do interfere with the TXs (though very slightly) is one way to make a signal "stronger". The transponders are what they are. And I'd rather race in my underwear than hang a trasnponder on my antenna...it just doesn't do the "experience of racing" justice. Why go to great lengths to make a car look and perform well, then have to hang that on there. I don't know, maybe many racers don't mind. I'm relatively new so what do I know.

So that leaves us with the cable. One thing I noticed about the cable is the inability to remove it from the box. Unless you open the box and that could end up a very expensive exploration.

Still thinking though...

leonen
2007.10.11, 09:56 AM
A signal boost perhaps, but how? Removing possible interference, such as florescent lights, which in my house do interfere with the TXs (though very slightly) is one way to make a signal "stronger". The transponders are what they are. And I'd rather race in my underwear than hang a trasnponder on my antenna...it just doesn't do the "experience of racing" justice. Why go to great lengths to make a car look and perform well, then have to hang that on there. I don't know, maybe many racers don't mind. I'm relatively new so what do I know.

So that leaves us with the cable. One thing I noticed about the cable is the inability to remove it from the box. Unless you open the box and that could end up a very expensive exploration.

Still thinking though...

We first started using the CORE Loop above the track (never imagined of making the cars run through it though...) and we had some interferences with cars whose trasmitter was low on batteries, or using certain crystals. Recharging the batteries or changing the crystals solved the problems. But a few months ago we changed it to go under the track. The interferences were solved. but not completly. still some guys have their cars go straight after passing over the loop, or just die over it.

CoreAnalog
2007.10.25, 10:51 PM
We first started using the CORE Loop above the track (never imagined of making the cars run through it though...) and we had some interferences with cars whose trasmitter was low on batteries, or using certain crystals. Recharging the batteries or changing the crystals solved the problems. But a few months ago we changed it to go under the track. The interferences were solved. but not completly. still some guys have their cars go straight after passing over the loop, or just die over it.

The racers should stand far way from the loop as possible. Some crystal frequencies are quite bad if the racer is too close to the loop. One way to see who is causing the problems is to run a signal strength test (from the setup menu) and have the racers turn on their Tx one by one. The strength may drop a lot once you hit that magic frequency. Just have that racer stand farther away and the problems go away.

--Core