PDA

View Full Version : F1 Handling

MrMojoRisin
2002.05.04, 09:56 PM
I own a Mini Z and it is alot of fun. I was wondering how the F1s drive...are they better handling? Are they funner to drive? I really love F1 cars and I would like to be a pro F1 car racer (wont happen tho) and I was wondering if they are worth it.

mini-z
2002.05.05, 10:16 AM
The F1s handle brilliantly. Their low battery configuration and long wheelbase means they are so much easier to control than the Racers. The only complaint is that the rear end brakes free really easily. This can be cured with new tires (slicks or foams, not ribbed), and a ball diff will help a lot too.

SSJ Char
2002.05.05, 04:39 PM
I would also like to be a F1 driver, but like they say, its the rich mans sport. Its not a sport that you can pick up or just decide to be one. its like a born into racing thing. But hey, if you get in, its cash city. average racer gets paid 1 mill $ per race!

Mondo
2002.05.05, 06:05 PM
Agreed with Mini-Z :)

F1's handle like they are on rails...
The brakes are a help too, although not brilliant, beats slowing down with the rear wheels in reverse..
I would also say, they also require the least maintenance.

W-tone
2002.05.05, 11:38 PM
I was kind of dissapointed at the way the F1 moves... Sure it handles wayyyyyy better out of the box than the mini-Z racer, but damn it feels slow :)
Maybe because it's more controlled.
Well.. ball bearings were the 1st thing to go in, 2nd were the lock nuts, now I'm thinking FET replacement and excotic motors.
Oh and, it still needs that ball diff.
But you really need a wide, long track to really enjoy these things. Not like my living room has ever been big enough for racing.

Rick
2002.05.06, 01:15 AM
I agree and disagree. I've never driven a normal Mini-Z but I do know that my F1 didn't feel slow at all out of the box. Plus I got an FET upgrade and an X-Speed motor and now I fly. I agree with W-tone that you need a large space for F1, but that's fine with me because my house is even too small for a Mini-Z Racer :D That's okay, though, because I wouldn't drive it inside anyway, because my dog would probably eat it :D It also seems like the F1 needs more skill to drive, probably because you can't cash it as much as the normal Mini-Z. But if you never take off the bumper, you'll never notice that your front wing is broken :D

W-tone
2002.05.06, 01:58 AM
Rick:
Well.. I think the fact that my Mini-Z racer has an X-speed and foam tires has something to do with it. But still, I expected more form the F1. Reasonably speaking, it has the same drivetrain, how could it be any faster than stock mini-Z racer. :)
Edit:
I have to add that I haven't driven a stock Mini-Z racer in about a year so I can't really compare stock racer vs. stock F1.

herman
2002.05.06, 02:46 AM
well f-1's seem faster out of the box compared to the original mini-z... fully modified their a joy to drive, they handle a whole lot better compared to the original... i also have to add that in my experience they experience no steering glitches whatsoever compared to the original mini-z which make it more pleasurable to drive...

MrMojoRisin
2002.05.09, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all the reviews. I will be gettin a F1 in the next few months hopefully. Are the Ferrari F1s in the US yet?

mini-z
2002.05.09, 09:37 PM
Yes:

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?rctoyzone+8uc4YC+minizracers.html

Josheus
2002.06.13, 12:46 PM
I find the F1s are alot louder than the standard mini-z. The gears in it are fine, not to lose/tight. is this normal? thanks for yourself..........Mondo rules.

mini-z
2002.06.13, 11:43 PM
Yes, it's normal, I think it's to do with the fact that the diff is wide open on the F1, while the tintops have a body to muffle the noise.