PDA

View Full Version : Old newbie

lioniz
2007.08.25, 01:53 AM
My name is Sam and I just got the Mclaren Mercedes f1 . This thing is incredible ! I have a few Xmods and this thing is on a whole new level !! I'm pretty sure that it's upgradable , but I'm not sure what's available. I live in northeast Illinois and was wondering if there are any tracks around . You guys are probably sick of giving out the same info all the time but , any ideas on upgrades and tracks ? Thanks in advance for your help .

jonjon
2007.08.25, 06:24 AM
Im new to the F1 also and some basic upgrades would be softer tires, aluminum front knuckles, aluminum wheel nuts, and ball bearings.

Also, couple sets of rechargeables and a decent charger which im sure you have

On hop-up tires, the lower the degree the softer the tires are. (10 softer 50 hard)

lioniz
2007.08.25, 07:09 AM
Im new to the F1 also and some basic upgrades would be softer tires, aluminum front knuckles, aluminum wheel nuts, and ball bearings.

Also, couple sets of rechargeables and a decent charger which im sure you have

On hop-up tires, the lower the degree the softer the tires are. (10 softer 50 hard)
Thanks Jonjon!!

briankstan
2007.08.27, 12:24 PM
there is a club that races in Decater Illinois, I'm not sure how far that is from you.

Look for Flipside Racing here on the boards.

here is a link to their forum section

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=87

46u
2007.08.28, 11:59 PM
I do not like the aluminum knuckles as they break tie rods then if you get the aluminum tie rods you strip servo gears. So I just run the stock plastic ones and if they break they are cheap to replace. Plastic gives some what aluminum will not. Biggest problem I have with the plastic ones is the axels pulling out and I just put a drop of CA glue on them.

Now I have not been on here in a while and for the first time in about a year I set up my RCP tracks and ran my F1 cars. I have been so busy racing my nitor buggy have not had time. So if something has changed please correct me.

ruf
2007.08.29, 03:00 AM
46u - Not sure how you managed to strip servo gears with the F1 servo saver. That thing is pretty darned compliant.

lioniz - What do you want to do with the car? That will determine what hop-ups are appropriate.

46u
2007.08.29, 10:47 AM
All I can say is I had this happen on 2 different cars a total of 3 times on my RCP track. I know I have not been here in a while but if I can find the post I will list where I was not the only one having the problem. I have learned over the years alloy is not all ways the best thing even on 1/10 and 1/8 scale. But if works for some go for it.

ruf
2007.08.29, 12:40 PM
Yah I usually hate alloy on my cars, but it does serve it's purpose in specific applications. I've lost many a race due to a broken F1 tie rod so I like to go alloy on that part. I tend to run really close to the barriers and snag the tires a lot. The Kyosho alloy knuckles combined with stainless kingpins really lets the front end work as well as adding camber options. The stock plastic knuckles are just too sticky, imo. Given the choice, I would prefer plastic so long as it performed similarly.

46u
2007.08.29, 02:40 PM
I do not race my Mini-Z do to know one around here to race only run on my RCP track by my self. That is one of the reasons I started racing a 1/8 nitro buggy and right now have to drive at least 55 to 70 mile one way to race it. But there will be an off road track near by soon.

lioniz
2007.08.30, 07:49 AM
46u - Not sure how you managed to strip servo gears with the F1 servo saver. That thing is pretty darned compliant.

lioniz - What do you want to do with the car? That will determine what hop-ups are appropriate.
Thanks for the response . I mostly plan on getting used to the car then perhaps start racing it . I'm not sure if there is a track around my area but I'm sure I can put one together .