PDA

View Full Version : Which track surface up?

cdog4w
2007.08.29, 04:48 PM
Hi, I finally got enough RCP to have 2 wide L's worth of track thanks to the new sale at RS. Now that I have enough I'd love to get into HFAY but I have some questions.

1. Which surface do you race on? I have my track setup with the smoother side up now and haven't had any traction issues but so far it has only been me running on it. It seems most people run the rough side up for improved traction? Which would I need to run for HFAY.

2. Since I didn't get 2 wide L's, I might need a few extra pieces to ensure I'm in full compliance. I started with a 45 degree kit and then got a small box of spare tiles from RCP. The wide oval I got at RS a few days ago has 4 bump tiles so I think I have enough of those (45 kit came with none). I have 12 corners and enough straights, but I have too many finish line tiles (I got 4 in the RCP spare box, 2 in the 45 kit and 2 in the wide oval). It seems that this would be a disadvantage since its a change in traction (however slight) so I would hope I could run HFAY w/ some normal straight tiles substituted with the extra finish line tiles I have. If not I'm sure RCP will help me get the extra tiles I need to be fully compliant.

Thanks!

rharris
2007.08.29, 05:09 PM
Use the rough side for HFAY.

You are correct, the traction changes with the finish line tiles. I have tons of track. If you only need two strait tiles, I can mail them to you. Just shoot me an email and we can work out the shipping.

Anything to help a fellow HFAY club out.

cdog4w
2007.08.30, 03:57 AM
I think I'll need 4, but I will check and make sure. I will likely contact you via email when I know, but I might just go through RCP since it seems to be cheaper for them to ship anyway.

I also take it that I cannot run HFAY w/ too many finish line tiles?

briankstan
2007.08.30, 10:01 AM
the # of start tiles doen't matter. just make sure you have the track set up as displayed, bumpouts etc. you can use the extra starts as straight tiles with out any problem.

cdog4w
2007.08.30, 04:56 PM
the # of start tiles doen't matter. just make sure you have the track set up as displayed, bumpouts etc. you can use the extra starts as straight tiles with out any problem.

Excellent, then I'm legal with my current stack of tiles! Thanks for the offer rharris, but I won't need them after all.

Now if only I had space for 2L's in my garage or living room. Will have to borrow a friend's garage to set it up.

So one last question, we don't have core, but we do have a laser lap timer setup. We use Laptimer 2000 (http://www.gregorybraun.com/LapTimer.html) and you mention that laser lap timers are legal but core would be preferred. I'm guessing the laser system is still ok for time trials but are you more stringent for the point series? I think we'll start with some time trials but if I can get the guys interested enough to commit to the point series I will be emailing about becoming a judge etc.

Thanks again for the replies.

briankstan
2007.08.30, 05:39 PM
Excellent, then I'm legal with my current stack of tiles! Thanks for the offer rharris, but I won't need them after all.

Now if only I had space for 2L's in my garage or living room. Will have to borrow a friend's garage to set it up.

So one last question, we don't have core, but we do have a laser lap timer setup. We use Laptimer 2000 (http://www.gregorybraun.com/LapTimer.html) and you mention that laser lap timers are legal but core would be preferred. I'm guessing the laser system is still ok for time trials but are you more stringent for the point series? I think we'll start with some time trials but if I can get the guys interested enough to commit to the point series I will be emailing about becoming a judge etc.

Thanks again for the replies.

your laser timer should be fine for running the Point Series. All that maters is you can time for the correct amount of time (8 minutes) it should measure up to at least a hundreths of a second. (0.00) and it needs to be able to time at least 3 cars for each race.

if it meets those requirements you are good to go.