PDA

View Full Version : What you all think about this charger?

stupidboy
2007.09.15, 03:16 AM
Like what i said above.... what do you all think>?

byebye
2007.09.15, 03:18 AM

I have that one. The lacrosse. I like it. It needs a fan under it or good air flow. It's the first charger I've had that has adjustable charge rates, discharging and refreshing. I'm satisfied so far.

Kris

stupidboy
2007.09.15, 06:01 AM
I have that one. The lacrosse. I like it. It needs a fan under it or good air flow. It's the first charger I've had that has adjustable charge rates, discharging and refreshing. I'm satisfied so far.

Kris

yea.. i heard very nice too... but is not selling in my country

arch2b
2007.09.15, 09:28 AM
very nice but it has it's faults like any other. another good option would be the maha charger found here in the shop.

TheRinger
2007.09.16, 08:00 PM
Its a good charger I recommend it. Byebye do U mean placing the fan under the charger for good air flow? I was wondering what the best way would be to set up a fan on the lacrosse charger?

byebye
2007.09.16, 09:10 PM
Its a good charger I recommend it. Byebye do U mean placing the fan under the charger for good air flow? I was wondering what the best way would be to set up a fan on the lacrosse charger?

Do you have a 12v pit box? Mine has the fans and I just kick on the box and set the charger in it. The other way would be to wire up a 12v computer P/S and just connect a fan to it.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g153/toffe777/power.jpg
Notice the wire running to the pitbox. It's connected using a regular fan connector.

Kris

kja812
2007.09.17, 02:28 PM

I bought one several months ago. I am very satisfied with the performance/cost. I setup a small 3inch 120V fan beside the charger when I charge AAA's at > 500mA to keep the batteries a little cooler.

The Lacrosse AAA batteries are ok for practise runs - power is nothing compared to Intellects or Duracells.

phea
2007.09.17, 04:18 PM

I think everyone should have a charger that can monitor the condition of each cell. The La Crosse does just that and I recommend it. I hear the Maha Wizard one would probably be a better choice with more features but the La
Crosse is cheaper price wise and does the essentially the same thing.

arch2b
2007.09.17, 04:19 PM
it's also significantly smaller in size than the compareable maha model. check the existing threads on the la crosse and maha chargers.

mini-z
2007.09.19, 04:35 PM
Frankly, the La Crosse doesn't come close to the MAHA in almost every regard except size and I guess blueness. In addition to the defects of the La Crosse that are documented in other threads, here's a partial list of why the MAHA wins:

3X bigger, backlit display
12V input (e.g. cigarette lighter, pit case etc.)
1% capacity accuracy vs. 10% for the La Crosse
Break-in (this feature is amazing) and proper cycling modes
0.2-2A Charge rates (vs. 0.2-1A or 1.8 w/ only 2 cells)
1A default charge (vs. 0.2A default)
0.1-1A Discharge rate (vs. 0.1-0.5A which is almost useless)
Battery capacity history up to 15 cycles (vs. none)
Built-in ventilation, plus per-cell temperature monitoring and management

I could go on....! :D Several guys in our club have both, and all concur that the MAHA is superior (they got the La Crosse first before they saw the MAHA).

Additionally, Kyosho now has their own solution:
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=18954

:)

kja812
2007.09.19, 05:11 PM
Frankly, the La Crosse doesn't come close to the MAHA in almost every regard except size and I guess blueness. In addition to the defects of the La Crosse that are documented in other threads, here's a partial list of why the MAHA wins:

3X bigger, backlit display
12V input (e.g. cigarette lighter, pit case etc.)
1% capacity accuracy vs. 10% for the La Crosse
Break-in (this feature is amazing) and proper cycling modes
0.2-2A Charge rates (vs. 0.2-1A or 1.8 w/ only 2 cells)
1A default charge (vs. 0.2A default)
0.1-1A Discharge rate (vs. 0.1-0.5A which is almost useless)
Battery capacity history up to 15 cycles (vs. none)
Built-in ventilation, plus per-cell temperature monitoring and management

I could go on....! :D Several guys in our club have both, and all concur that the MAHA is superior (they got the La Crosse first before they saw the MAHA).

Additionally, Kyosho now has their own solution:
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=18954

:)

I have no experience with the Maha but I agree with some of your points. A 12V input would be nice and a cooling fan is definitely a benefit. The biggest benefit of the Maha is the ability to independantly set the discharge and charge currents. The LaCrosse defaults to discharge at 1/2 the charge rate if my memory serves me correctly.

The LaCrosse for me:
- prefer the compact size
- capacity/voltage readings are accurate enough for my needs
- charging AAA's at 700mA is fast enough (~45min)
- the cycling feature refreshes my batteries and increases their capacitity
- displaying the last/largest capacity during cycling is all I need to know
- 1/2 the price of a Maha when you consider the LaCrosse comes with some batteries and a carry bag.

Both products have their pros/cons. I chose the LaCrosse for cost/benefit ratio. I'm sure most of this argument has been discussed in other threads so I'll leave it there.

Roger
2007.09.22, 12:37 PM
Kris: Where did you get that battery case from ???

arch2b
2007.09.22, 01:48 PM
Kris: Where did you get that battery case from ???
see this thread (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25822)

byebye
2007.09.22, 04:58 PM
Yeah what he said Roger!;)

It also fits perfect in my pit box.

Kris

rharris
2007.09.23, 12:51 AM
Frankly, the La Crosse doesn't come close to the MAHA in almost every regard except size and I guess blueness.

Blueness.... ROLF...

I have both.

I run Modified AWD class. Good cells are everything.

After a lot of messing around with a lot of different cells and charging tricks, I put the La Cross in a box and bought another MAHA.

arch2b
2007.09.23, 01:20 PM
Blueness.... ROLF...

I have both.

After a lot of messing around with a lot of different cells and charging tricks, I put the La Cross in a box and bought another MAHA.
interested in selling it (lacrosse)?

rharris
2007.09.26, 03:04 AM
interested in selling it (lacrosse)?

Sure, but after the worlds.

mini-z
2007.09.27, 11:53 AM
Blueness.... ROLF...

I have both.

This has been a common path in our club as well. The La Crosse is still useful as a backup/extra if you're already saddled with one, but for a primary/serious charger, the MAHA is the racer's 1st (and often 1st and 2nd!) choice. :)