PDA

View Full Version : alu motor mount/rear shock

michvin
2007.09.18, 12:53 PM
Are those parts an absolute must to make this car handle properly? If yes, which manufacturer is the best?
Thanks

ruf
2007.09.18, 02:06 PM
No. You don't need them. Aluminum motor mount, Atomic is the only game in town. Rear isn't that helpful in and of itself, but as part of the Atomic disk damper system, it completely changes the car. My preferred setup is the Atomic disk damper combined with a modified stock plastic motor mount.

michvin
2007.09.18, 02:10 PM
No. You don't need them. Aluminum motor mount, Atomic is the only game in town. Rear isn't that helpful in and of itself, but as part of the Atomic disk damper system, it completely changes the car. My preferred setup is the Atomic disk damper combined with a modified stock plastic motor mount.
thanks. I was also inclined to omit the motor mount but wasn't sure how to mount the disk damper, which is a must IMHO, since the rear end without it wobbles. Do you have, or can point me to, any pictorial (or not) description of how to modify the stock mount to attach the disc damper?
many thanks

ruf
2007.09.18, 06:42 PM
Just cut the post off parallel to the ground leaving a little tab to mount the damper post. I hollow out the underside a little with a ball end bit to accept the countersunk screw, but I don't think it's necessary. Cut the motor top plate halfway back to accomodate the disk damper. The motor is only held in by the back 2 screws. As always, clearance the inside of the body so that you have full side-to-side movement at full compression and extension.

michvin
2007.09.18, 08:56 PM
Just cut the post off parallel to the ground leaving a little tab to mount the damper post. I hollow out the underside a little with a ball end bit to accept the countersunk screw, but I don't think it's necessary. Cut the motor top plate halfway back to accomodate the disk damper. The motor is only held in by the back 2 screws. As always, clearance the inside of the body so that you have full side-to-side movement at full compression and extension.
Thanks,
Higly appreciated.
Mike

EMU
2007.09.21, 12:48 AM
Mike, I have a spare F1 disc damper plate (minus post and discs) that I can give you on Saturday. Ill try to remember to bring it. The post that came with it cracked in half. If I remember correctly, it is a little shorter than the PN... So you may need to use some washers...

michvin
2007.09.21, 12:51 AM
where the hell have you been? We miss you there!
Thanks for the damper, disks are regular size, right?

EMU
2007.09.21, 01:38 AM
I think the discs are a little smaller... if they bind, you can shave them down a little with a dremel so they dont hit.

Ive had family obligations, so I couldnt attend for the last few weeks. I will be there Sat, and we can try to work out this damper setup.

michvin
2007.09.21, 01:43 AM
i'm not running the F1 right now - only 015 and 02. It pays to run less classes - last time i won a-main.

ruf
2007.09.21, 12:06 PM
Atomic uses the same sized disks in all their dampers, iirc. You do have the option of choosing the material and the groove pattern. I believe the F1 uses the "loose" groove black disks. As for the damper post, order an Atomic hardened post if you feel like it. I think I may have one lying around in my old pile, but I may have used it to build a new damper.

EMU
2007.09.21, 07:00 PM
Most of my dampers are not Atomic, and the Atomic discs look smaller than the PN ones that I have... Our local track does not carry much Atomic stuff. Although we should be able to get it working with parts from other companies (PN/3Racing).

ruf
2007.09.21, 07:05 PM
I think you're right re:Atomic disks being smaller than PN disks.

wwwes
2007.12.10, 02:45 PM
When you use the factory motor mount do you use the rear springs, or just the ones with the damper?