PDA

View Full Version : Best 1/18 on road professional racing car ?

rodolfosolis
2007.09.19, 06:27 PM
I wonder... what would be the best 1/18th scale, on road racing car. One that closely resembles a 1/10th, with oil filled shocks, four wheel drive, differentials, fully adjustable steering and suspension, etc. I am specially interested in the oil filled shocks, because sometimes the track surface can be tricky if you do not have real dampening... My preference is electric motor, but it could be nitro too. Thank you for the advice!

Roketmini
2007.09.19, 07:08 PM
Look at Xray's M18 and HPI's Micro RS4. Both are 1/18 electrics. The Xray is shaft, the MRS4 is single belt. Both have been around for a while, and as far as I know they have good aftermarket support.

Some may argue that the Associated RC-18R is an on-road car..it's more of an off-roader with street tires and a cartoonish body.

cowboysir
2007.09.19, 07:24 PM
I realize that it may be RWD but I'd prefer using a Robotronics Scalpel if I raced 1/18th on road...it is so much like a Mini-Z MR02(or is that the other way around) that i think it would easily transfer driving skills from one to the other.

cdog4w
2007.09.19, 08:27 PM
M18 would be closer to a 10th sedan tho cowboy :)

Yea, rc18r is NOT 18th scale. Its a mutt that defies class.

For the most part though I say your choice will be dictated by how you plan to use it. If you're racing at a track, check and see what other people run so you can make sure to have the right RC for the micro class. If bashing, the M18 isn't the best choice, it really is a track racer.

rodolfosolis
2007.09.19, 10:18 PM
M18 would be closer to a 10th sedan tho cowboy :)

Yea, rc18r is NOT 18th scale. Its a mutt that defies class.

For the most part though I say your choice will be dictated by how you plan to use it. If you're racing at a track, check and see what other people run so you can make sure to have the right RC for the micro class. If bashing, the M18 isn't the best choice, it really is a track racer.

Actually I am planning to open a new class, and we could use any brand (xray, hpi, associated...), because there is no one running 1/18 at our club.
Our main concern is about having oil shocks... we really need them...

imxlr8ed
2007.09.20, 09:04 AM
M18... no question. (oil shocks not required!)

TALLGEESE
2007.09.20, 01:36 PM
M18... no question. (oil shocks not required!)

Yeah, the M-18 is a great car, tons of aftermarket parts are available for it.. The X-ray also has a super-smooth drivetrain.. Throw a Castle Creations Mamba brushless setup in it and they can be extremely fast...

wes
2007.10.24, 02:11 PM
Xray M18 Pro is really the only "pro" 1/18 car out there, and the best on the market... Maybe the Exo2 chassis too if you can find one. You don't need oil shocks for 1/18, and the rc18r doesn't count either, it's not a true 1/18 onroad car. Here's my m18 pro going around a 1/10 track:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sicsOeoyAyg