PDA

View Full Version : Losi 1/36 Micro-Desert Truck

arch2b
2007.09.20, 06:47 PM
http://teamlosi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0233

1/36 Micro-Desert Truck RTR(LOSB0233)

From the desert sand to the palm of your hand!

Complete RTR, everything included
Extended chassis for increased stability and scale looks
Fully independent suspension with friction dampers
Differential-equipped transmission with adjustable slipper
Powerful micro-motor for quick acceleration and impressive top speed
Digital proportional electronic speed control with reverse
Losi 27MHz AM radio system included
Micro-Desert Grip tires mounted on chrome Micro bead lock-style wheels
Portable charger included (powered by included alkaline batteries)
Ni-MH battery pack installed
Includes 8 AA alkaline batteries for charger
Includes 8 AA heavy-duty batteries for transmitter

Overview
Designed with the same award-winning features as the Micro-Tô, the Micro-Desert Truckô offers desert racing style in a micro truck thatís just under 6 inches long (about an inch longer than the Micro-T). Packed with a Ni-MH battery, independent suspension, differential-equipped transmission and 27MHz Losi AM radio system, the Micro-Desert Truck has the speed and handling to tackle nearly everything you can throw at it. Take it with you anywhere you go and satisfy your RC cravings with the Micro-Desert Truck.

Product Specifications
Type: 2WD Desert Truck RTR
Scale: 1/36
Length: 5.7 in (114mm)
Width: 3.5 in (89mm)
Wheelbase: 3.5 in (89mm)
Weight: 4.0 oz (112g)
Chassis: Extended composite tub
Suspension: Independent
Drive Train: 3-gear transmission w gear diff and slipper
Tire Type: Micro-Desert Grip tires mounted on black micro bead lock-style wheels
Motor or Engine: Micro electric
Speed Control: Electronic, fully proportional forward/reverse
Radio: Losi 27MHz AM pistol
Servos: Sub-micro
Batteries: 4.8V 150mAh NiMH (included)
Charger: Peak (included)
Wheel Size: 0.75 in (19mm) diameter
Kit/RTR: RTR
Shock Type: Coil-over friction dampers
Body: Factory-decorated Desert Truck
Ball Bearings: BB equipped transmission

http://teamlosi.com/ProdInfo/LargeImages/LOSB0233.jpg

arch2b
2007.09.20, 07:02 PM
all iamges from losi

http://teamlosi.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/LOSB0233-GAL1.jpg

http://teamlosi.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/LOSB0233-GAL2.jpg

http://teamlosi.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/LOSB0233-GAL3.jpg

http://teamlosi.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/LOSB0233-GAL4.jpg

http://teamlosi.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/LOSB0233-GAL5.jpg

http://teamlosi.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/LOSB0233-GAL6.jpg

http://teamlosi.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/LOSB0233-GAL7.jpg

http://teamlosi.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/LOSB0233-GAL8.jpg

bobbyz
2007.09.21, 02:51 PM
nice find. i'm liking this car much more than the micro-t or micro-b. i'm hoping the extra length for the desert truck might mean a bigger battery compartment for larger capacity batteries and longer runtimes. that was really my only disappointment with my micro-t. it only runs for around 10min. i was hoping this next holiday seasons offerings would start being unveiled soon. i hope there's more good stuff to come.

arch2b
2007.09.21, 02:56 PM
i'm hoping it makes for a more stable chassis with the extra inch as well

kja812
2007.09.21, 03:56 PM
i'm hoping it makes for a more stable chassis with the extra inch as well

Me too. I don't own a micro-T but I did give one a test drive.
Any idea from the pics if this chassis will share existing parts/upgrades with the micro-T?

bobbyz
2007.09.21, 06:14 PM
i did just look at a "body off" pic of the micro-t and it looks like the extra inch is added in between the esc cover and the rear shock tower. on the origional micro-t/b the antenna sticks up just infront of the rear shock tower. maybe they designed it to take 2/3 AAA upgrad packs. hopefully all the towers/arms are all the same stuff. i do think the chassis will be different (a bit longer). we'll see.

cdog4w
2007.09.22, 01:46 AM
nice find. i'm liking this car much more than the micro-t or micro-b. i'm hoping the extra length for the desert truck might mean a bigger battery compartment for larger capacity batteries and longer runtimes. that was really my only disappointment with my micro-t. it only runs for around 10min. i was hoping this next holiday seasons offerings would start being unveiled soon. i hope there's more good stuff to come.

There are alternatives even for the normal size micro-t chassis. Most lipos get you up to ~200mAh from the stock 150mAh. I just got a bunch of a 400mAh 1s2p lipo from aeronuts in HK. $6 each pack w/o connector and I get 30 min runtimes easy. Its pretty close to stock speed, but its not 2s lipo crazy.

My only disappointment with this is that it would screw up classes for micro-t racing... sigh.

monkey19
2007.09.22, 09:26 AM
The wheels and tires look great, plus the additional inch or so makes it worth trying it out.

marc
2007.09.24, 05:14 PM
Now they need to make a 1/36 scale micro sand rail buggy!

FastTRX
2007.10.08, 11:36 AM
How are the Micro-Ts as far as performance? I owned a Mini-T for a while and loved it, but sadly got rid of it after I broke the weak servo running it outside. I'd like to get another in the near future...but I noticed the Micro and thought it looked cool, as well as affordable and easy to run inside.

How is the aftermarket part selection for this truck?

cdog4w
2007.10.08, 03:16 PM
How are the Micro-Ts as far as performance? I owned a Mini-T for a while and loved it, but sadly got rid of it after I broke the weak servo running it outside. I'd like to get another in the near future...but I noticed the Micro and thought it looked cool, as well as affordable and easy to run inside.

How is the aftermarket part selection for this truck?

In short, its an awesome little truck, one of my favorite rc's right now. If nothing else, go by a LHS and take it for a test drive.

To answer your question, Losi took the rc18t route on the servo saver and its a bit soft. The consequence is I've hit plenty of things hard (I let the cat chase it around the house and there are many furniture/wall obstacles that I've hit) and still not broken/stripped the servo. The downside is the exact same, its a bit soft. Doesn't always return to center perfectly and pushes a bit on power. My friend replaced the stock saver spring with a ballpoint pen spring he cut to length that really tightened it up, still waiting to see if anything breaks/strips. The electronics really are hobby quality in the same way mini-z electronics are. Standard 27AM, but uses a 5 wire servo (standard servo case for the micro-t too).

FastTRX
2007.10.08, 03:33 PM
In short, its an awesome little truck, one of my favorite rc's right now. If nothing else, go by a LHS and take it for a test drive.

To answer your question, Losi took the rc18t route on the servo saver and its a bit soft. The consequence is I've hit plenty of things hard (I let the cat chase it around the house and there are many furniture/wall obstacles that I've hit) and still not broken/stripped the servo. The downside is the exact same, its a bit soft. Doesn't always return to center perfectly and pushes a bit on power. My friend replaced the stock saver spring with a ballpoint pen spring he cut to length that really tightened it up, still waiting to see if anything breaks/strips. The electronics really are hobby quality in the same way mini-z electronics are. Standard 27AM, but uses a 5 wire servo (standard servo case for the micro-t too).
The size is very appealing...I can run my Z/Xmod tracks with it as well as some outdoor stuff....

My experiences with Losi has been good...but I'm just too hard on my trucks outdoors...I guess I'm building too big of jumps or something. I like the fact it runs the same electronics as the Z...which means I wont have to order diff. parts through a diff. place.

cdog4w
2007.10.09, 06:33 PM
I like the fact it runs the same electronics as the Z...which means I wont have to order diff. parts through a diff. place.

Its not exactly the same, but very similar (just wanted to be clear in case I wasn't).

arch2b
2007.10.09, 06:49 PM
anyone see chassis parts for this yet? i'm going to dump the buggy chassis and just convert mine over. hoping the shop will have the cf chassis for this length quickly.

now we just need more body options like we have for the current chassis. it's amazing this little thing get sooo much aftermarket support.

marc
2007.10.09, 09:05 PM
Hmmm, what else can they make this small? Monster truck? A Micro-Overland? How about a Micro ATV?

FastTRX
2007.10.10, 02:00 PM
How about a Micro ATV?
Now you're thinkin'. You're jumping into my domain there...

arch2b
2007.10.21, 10:13 PM
does anyone know a good place to get stock parts? as soon as the chassis, wheels/tires are out i'm switching over.

also, does anyone know the diameter/width of the atomic wheels? they look like negative offset mini-z racer wheels.

arch2b
2007.10.27, 10:02 AM
ok, killer hobbies has these parts easy to fin however they still are not in stock. does anyone know whan losi will have these out? judging by the lack of response to the previous question, i have to assume no one does :(

kydawg1
2007.11.05, 07:22 AM
These are out now.

ok, killer hobbies has these parts easy to fin however they still are not in stock. does anyone know whan losi will have these out? judging by the lack of response to the previous question, i have to assume no one does :(

soulstice
2007.11.05, 09:51 AM
Does anyone have a side by side photo comparison. I'm wondering how autoscales might fit on this particular chassis.

ruf
2007.11.05, 05:53 PM
The Desert Racer chassis is 1/2" longer. Should be great for lengthening the wheelbase of my Mini-Baja (which is now my 2nd favorite car to drive). Then it's time for a custom buggy body, since the proportions will be more similar to 1/10 buggies.

The wheelbase is 89mm which is just under the shortest popular Mini-Z wheelbase of 90mm. Stratos is 86 I think? The cars are way too wide though. I'm working on a rally conversion kit... :)

BTW, parts are supposed to be available this week.

arch2b
2007.11.05, 06:42 PM
so its closer to 1/32 slot car scale now?

ruf
2007.11.06, 01:11 PM
I guess so in terms of wheelbase, but that's always been the easy part. Dealing with the track width is the issue due to the driveline and suspension parts.

dohc
2007.11.06, 04:22 PM
i was told there will be a brushless setup for these as well ;]

Mini-Me-Zee
2007.11.06, 05:43 PM
I wonder if the longer chassis will allow for some battery packs with larger mAh capacity cells. I realize most everyone will want these things to go 30-40 mph, but I would like longer run times...

Anyone know?

pchan0
2007.11.06, 11:49 PM
How much longer is the battery compartment? If its more than 13mm, I think we can run 2/3AAA that has 400mAh which would be pretty nice.

ruf
2007.11.07, 12:05 PM
I'm waiting to see, but it should 13mm longer which should be all in that battery area. Probably require some dremeling to open it up. Brushless system on the way too, but then I'll have to scrap the Mini-Z board I've been using.

I raced it in stock class last night at Kenon. What a hoot! :p Barely lasted a 5 minute heat race. Pretty competitive speeds with the stock Mini-Z motors. Could be a little quicker, but it's tough to keep the front wheels on the ground coming off of some corners. The longer chassis should help that too.

pchan0
2007.11.07, 01:10 PM
Here is a picture someone posted at one18th.com forum.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff294/pchan0/1.jpg

bobbyz
2007.11.07, 02:15 PM
just what i was hoping for, more room for higher capacity batts :)

TALLGEESE
2007.11.07, 03:18 PM
Glad too see this thread, I just started running my Micro-T again this week and had a question...I'm assuming the Desert truck version uses the same A-arms and suspension bits and pieces? I'm considering getting some of the Atomic anodized parts for my original Micro-T, and I'd like to make sure everything fits if I decide to run the extended chassis from the new Desert truck version..

ruf
2007.11.07, 06:00 PM
That is beautiful, but I kind of like the weight distribution options of the stock battery.

ruf
2007.11.07, 06:34 PM
I'm envisioning a 6-cell 1/3AAA "Sprint" pack, and a 4-cell 2/3AAA "Endurance" pack.

arch2b
2007.11.07, 07:27 PM
anyone see these parts instock yet? i see a few places selling rtr's...

pchan0
2007.11.09, 01:57 PM
Anyone brought the new Losi 1/36 brushless system? How do you like it so far?

marc
2007.11.09, 06:29 PM
I plan on using that with a Spektrum's DX3 receiver. I'll take the receiver out of its case and shrink wrap it. This is for my project Micro America which has HR's silver alloy chassis, GPM's red knuckles and hubs, shock towers, silver shocks, and 3R's blue arms, gear case, and motor and gear cover. I'll post pictures when I get home from trip. I'm using iPhone to keep in touch. So I can't post pictures at this time. I've also got someone doing some custom airbrushing work for me using the American flag theme.

arch2b
2007.11.10, 08:59 AM
does anyone know if the shok towers are different for the body types? i bought the original adn i can't seem to get the baja body to fit, the body posts don't come up high enough it seems. :confused:

ruf
2007.11.10, 01:05 PM
arch2b - The front shock tower is different and the rear requires a body mount attachment. Part number LOSB1506.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSB1506

GiantScale
2007.11.11, 07:23 PM
The MDT has a 34 x 34 x 10mm battery compartment. Iv been looking for a higher mah 7.2 lipo but cant find anything yet. I dont want to settle for the 220 cheapbatteries.com has.

Where else can I look?

Blackno3
2007.11.11, 10:31 PM
Has anyone figured out the stock parts list required to convert a Micro-T to a Micro-Desert Truck? Stock Micro-T parts are very cheap so I guessing the parts will cost about $20 to $30 bucks.

Blackno3
2007.11.11, 11:21 PM
Stock parts list required to convert a Micro-T to a Micro-Desert Truck

LOSB1501 Chassis Set.......................................$6.99
LOSB1508 Fr Shock Twr/Skd Plate Bumper.......$4.00
LOSB1551 Micro DT Clear Body w/sticker..........$9.00
LOSB1572 Desert Tire Set-FR/RR Blk Chrm mtd $7.99
LOSB1573 Desert Tire Set - FR/RR Chrm mtd...$7.99
I think you only need one of the LOSB1572 Black Tire Sets or one of the LOSB1573 chrome Tire Sets it do the job.
Total $27.98
Add $4.99 if you want a painted body instead of clear.

And just $19.99 to convert it if you can live with your stock Micro-T wheels and tires.

I found the Micro-Desert Truck parts list on Losiís web site and Cross-referenced it with my Micro-T parts list that came with my Micro-T. All other Stock part numbers are the same for both trucks.

arch2b
2007.11.12, 08:50 AM
thank you for the parts list! if we had a losi forum i would sticky the info.

ChattavegasSE
2007.11.12, 07:54 PM
Very big thanks for the parts list! I was actually reading this thread to find that out! :D

TALLGEESE
2007.11.12, 09:55 PM
I'd also like to say thanks as well for the parts list, it should come in handy in the near future.. One of the local hobby shops by me just got the brushless setup in stock.. It was around 50 dollars and I think that's a pretty good deal for the speed controller and motor combined.. It took all my willpower not to buy it right there on the spot... Still need to get a JR servo and micro reciever... One of our'e fellow HFAY racers brought one of the new desert truck versions to the races yesterday, and even in bone-stock form it handled really well on an RCP track surface.. Especially with the new tires that come on the desert version... Once again thanks for the list....

marc
2007.11.13, 04:13 PM
I just got the Spektrum DX3 radio system which came with two receivers. These receivers will be perfect with the Team Losi brushless motor and ESC. Now I just have to wait for it to be available and to have the money for it, oraybe Santa Clause will get me one. I think I'v been good!

marc
2007.11.13, 09:19 PM
does anybody know if the MDT's wheels will fit the bajas axles? I think its got a nice set of wheels.

Hammer
2007.11.17, 07:10 PM
The brush-less setup Losi LOSB9594 1/36 Xcelorin 8750Kv Brushless Combo (http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/Losi-LOSB9594-136-Xcelorin-8750Kv-Brushless-Combo__14042.aspx) is now available at AtomicMods, I purchased one yesterday. ;)

ruf
2007.11.20, 04:26 PM
The standard brushless motor is plenty fast with lots more runtime just as expected. Not sure if I should show sneak peek pics of what I've got cooking up next... :p

pchan0
2007.11.21, 04:26 PM
The standard brushless motor is plenty fast with lots more runtime just as expected. Not sure if I should show sneak peek pics of what I've got cooking up next... :p

You mean there will be a buggy conversion kit coming soon from Reflex Racing?

Please show us some us some teasers of what you are up to!

ruf
2007.11.21, 04:33 PM
Haha! Fun stuff. Can't wait to get our lexan molder so I can start cranking out the bodies.

ruf
2008.01.09, 02:47 AM
Sorry about the cellphone pic...

http://www.reflexracing.net/images/gallery/micro-buggy.jpg

marc
2008.01.09, 10:50 AM
cool!!!!!!!

ruf
2008.01.09, 01:07 PM
Thanks. That's just a mockup I made from an Autoscale carton using scotch tape... :p Our vacuum former arrives later this month, so I can really start doing some neat stuff in quantity. :D

stitchy
2008.01.28, 12:33 PM
has anyone used a different transmitter with the micro-t? Does the 2PL work?

ruf
2008.01.28, 02:01 PM
I've used a KO Helios with an AM module and it works, but it was a little glitchy. Moreso than the stock transmitter.

danny250r
2008.02.02, 10:11 PM
Anyone brought the new Losi 1/36 brushless system? How do you like it so far?
i got one ,it is crazy fast and you get great run time its a must have

ruf
2008.03.13, 12:09 AM
Rally on!!! :D

marc
2008.04.05, 02:14 PM
Does anybody know if this
Kyosho Turbo Scorpion Display Model #18325
is the same size as Micro-T and if the body will fit? Also, is it die-cast or plastic?

Ninja
2008.04.05, 09:30 PM
I use a 2pl and it works great with my Micro-T