PDA

View Full Version : HFAY Participation History

svt-racer
2007.09.21, 05:35 PM
I have attached to this post a simple chart I put together based on the participation in the HFAY series since Season 1. You may find it interesting.

On Season 1 we had a total of 93 participants.
On Season 2 we had a total of 118 participants, an increase of 26% over S1
On Season 3 we had a total of 172 participants, an increase of 45% over S2
On Season 4, so fare we have a decline of approx 25% give or take.

Lets make this series grow even more for the next season!!!!

arch2b
2007.09.21, 06:05 PM
thanks for doing all the work which bascially suppoorts the claim i made earlier. considering the incremental increase in previosu seasons, i don't think it's a coincidence that it dropped shraply with this seasons changes.

i would also offer, the spec motor has contributed to the decline which is harder to measure in public opinion. i do feel it made an impact however adn not the one i was hoping for despite my energies to promote it.

mk2kompressor
2007.09.21, 07:21 PM
ive spoken to a couple of kyosho dealers over here(trying to get some damn rcp!!!)
they had never heard of the hfay series or how big mini z is in the rest of europe and the usa,lets just say they have a little more info now ;)
but i still have no track :(

pinwc4
2007.09.21, 08:52 PM
It is interesting to see that other clubs have encountered what we have for this season.

But it is a real stretch to be reaching those conclusions. I know my clubs membership is down significantly compared to seasons 2 (12 racers) and 3 (21 racers). This season so far we have only had 6 unique racers.

The reason for this though is not either that have been suggested above.

svt-racer
2007.09.22, 02:15 AM
The question I ask all of you is.. What can we do to improve the participation of in the HFAY series? More advertisement? Magazine ads, website ads, other major forums... manufacturers interest if any...create teams...create more racer friendly/flexible rules for the series...etc, etc, etc.

Think about it, and keep posting thoughts!

pinwc4
2007.09.22, 09:22 AM
The question I ask all of you is.. What can we do to improve the participation of in the HFAY series? More advertisement? Magazine ads, website ads, other major forums... manufacturers interest if any...create teams...create more racer friendly/flexible rules for the series...etc, etc, etc.

This is an important question. Advertising would be awesome, any idea how much stuff like that costs though.

I think spreading the word through other forums would help. I would hope members of HFAY would spread the word on other forums already. You dont' really just want to jump in and say HFAY as your first post but instead use forums you already have established relationships in.

What about sponsors, any way to get them to spread the word? Could Mini-Z's store include an insert about HFAY in orders for example? Could we got any of the other big Mini-Z parts stores to do that? That seems like the most direct way to get the info to the people that would be interested.

will3kgt
2007.09.23, 03:30 PM

I think a survey should be sent to each participant of the series. Paticipants should be asked how long the've been racing, how they heard about HFAY, do they prefer 2 drops or none etc, etc. Also, what improvments could be made for future seasons. I'm surprised our series hasn't been showcased or written about in any R/C magazines. This racing format is the most unique in the world and I feel proud and lucky to be a part of it. I just want to see it continue to grow in the future.

mini-z
2007.09.27, 11:55 AM
What about sponsors, any way to get them to spread the word? Could Mini-Z's store include an insert about HFAY in orders for example?

Brilliant pinwc4!!! We would be more than happy to do this. Who will design and provide these for us to include in all orders? :)

briankstan
2007.09.27, 11:59 AM
Brilliant pinwc4!!! We would be more than happy to do this. Who will design and provide these for us to include in all orders? :)

what do you need? one size or different sizes? I'm sure I can come up with something.

My schedule is very busy and I know I'm behind on some of the other things I need to get on as well, club championship banners comes to mind :o

mini-z
2007.09.27, 12:16 PM
Whatever you want in the box (as long as it's not a 10 lb glossy brochure or something! :D)! :)

briankstan
2007.09.27, 12:59 PM
sounds good.

pinwc4
2007.09.27, 02:14 PM
Can I get a copy also. I am very very very very low volume sales but I think it could bring a few people to HFAY.

briankstan
2007.09.27, 03:07 PM
Can I get a copy also. I am very very very very low volume sales but I think it could bring a few people to HFAY.

yep, as soon as I get something together I'll send it to you as well.

svt-racer
2007.09.27, 04:02 PM
It would be nice to have as a club goal to increase membership year over year by at minimum of 20%. You will see in a very short period of time HFAY participation grow very fast. Just from word of mouth of the series and what the club does....Just thinking of new ideas....

svt-racer
2007.10.04, 11:54 PM
I have attached a new updated chart of the participation in the HFAY series. The participation continues to decline and there is a good chance that for the next two races, we might see even lower numbers than what they were for Season 1 and 2. :eek:

arch2b
2007.10.05, 09:39 AM
for those that suggest ther eis no correlation between participation numbers and hfay organization matters, i simply beg to differ and the stats certianly suggest a link.

imxlr8ed
2007.10.05, 11:02 AM
Looks like the biggest decline was the last 2 months of Season 3... any explanations?

briankstan
2007.10.05, 11:35 AM
Looks like the biggest decline was the last 2 months of Season 3... any explanations?

Thanksgiving, Christmas? it's my guess.

svt-racer are you infering that we should just go back to the season 3 rules? motors,drops and all. I dobt that the attendance would changed dramaticall.

Our club for instance usually had more participants in the winter than in the summer. I also have no control over if they decide to show or not. it's entirely up to them, and their own personal situation and feelings.

will3kgt
2007.10.05, 12:02 PM
I know one club that lost 100% of their kids because of the no drops rule.....Or maybe it's becuase of Halloween. :rolleyes:

briankstan
2007.10.05, 01:02 PM
I know one club that lost 100% of their kids because of the no drops rule.....Or maybe it's becuase of Halloween. :rolleyes:

Pulling no punches. I know one club that quite because of the drops...

briankstan
2007.10.05, 01:11 PM
**this isn't directed to anyone in paticular, just some of how I'm felling things are going. and it's really getting to me.**

I'm really getting sick of all this. Rules are rules. Race or don't race.

it's a given face that everyone will not be happy with every rules. Lets get past the all this and do some racing. I've heard all of this before from the oppisite side, so it's nothing new.

Maybe we should just stop the judging comittee and the 3 or 4 of us that originally set up HFAY set the rules and everyone has to live with what is there.

Do you think the PN Races have all this bickering over little rules? their rules are set you follow them or you don't join in on the fun.

All of this is really making something that was enjoyable and I was happy to do into something that I'm really not enjoying so much any more.

this was suppose to be something fun that would be a great establishment for clubs to have a format to run and compare times with some bonus prizes for the best.

competing is fine, but not to the point of comprimising the the goal of having fun as a community. If your overal goal is to be on top at the expense of the fun of everyone else maybe you don't belong is this series.

arch2b
2007.10.05, 01:34 PM
there is a big difference between hfay and the pn worlds for example. one is a manufacturers sponsored series and the other is fan based. lets just make sure it stays fan based.

mini-z
2007.10.05, 01:39 PM
bks, please don't think for a second that everyone who has posted an opinion one way or another doesn't massively appreciate everything that you do! :) I think everyone could benefit from re-visiting your quote each time before posting on the topic:

competing is fine, but not to the point of comprimising the the goal of having fun as a community. If your overal goal is to be on top at the expense of the fun of everyone else maybe you don't belong is this series.

I've been very careful to only post when I've observed a situation where people are losing site of the primary goals of having fun and increasing membership, and I've always tried (including having several other people proofread my posts before posting) to make sure that I not offend anyone w/ my suggestions and that I put HFAY's interest first and foremost. :)

briankstan
2007.10.05, 03:34 PM
I personally know what went into the development of the HFAY series. We essentially have been having discussions on the subject for 2+ years. it's not like we sat around and discussed how we can make membership drop. things were discussed, voted on and implemented.

Those coming into the series in even in the last year have probably not realized how much quite a few of us have put into it.

I don't have any issues with rules being discussed or debated, but in the end we only go with what was voted on and approved by the majority.

I acturally think that is it great to have more people actively involved in discussing the rules and wanting to grow the series.

the only thing that I won't put up with is with complaining that their views didn't get implemented because of the popular vote was against it.

After the debate, the rules are implemented (reflecting the popular vote) You then have a choice, will it be 1 or 2?

1. Follow the rules, participate and have fun.
2. Don't participate.

The choice is yours.

again, this is a general statement and not meant for anyone inpaticular.

arch2b
2007.10.05, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by briankstan
i have to agree. honestly, as it's been pointed out, all this is getting to the point of being just silly. i'm just as dedicated as the next to hfay but i don't know how much longer i can keep my club interested in a series that seems to be getting more complicated vs. more enjoyable. i take fair share in that btw :(