PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try 2 degree camber?

pinoyboy
2007.09.21, 05:57 PM
Just wondering if it was actually tested by anyone whether 1 degree on F1s is actually much better than 2 degree.

I know that the mr-02 is pretty different than the F1, but when I changed from 1 degree to 2 degree knuckles, I found alot more mid corner bite which was what I was looking for.

If anyone has some helpful info, I'd appreciate it. :D

michvin
2007.09.21, 09:41 PM
Just wondering if it was actually tested by anyone whether 1 degree on F1s is actually much better than 2 degree.

I know that the mr-02 is pretty different than the F1, but when I changed from 1 degree to 2 degree knuckles, I found alot more mid corner bite which was what I was looking for.

If anyone has some helpful info, I'd appreciate it. :Dwith this things "much better" is defined as much better for YOU, for YOUR driving. No universal answer can be given. :)

pinoyboy
2007.09.21, 09:50 PM
with this things "much better" is defined as much better for YOU, for YOUR driving. No universal answer can be given. :)

I guess so. It just seems that the setup everyone says to run for F1s is the following

Kyosho 30F
1 degree camber
-1 degree tow out
carbon side plates
Atomic disc damper
kyosho 20 rears
Ball diff w/ titanium shaft

I was just wondering if whoever came up with this common setup most people follow for F1s ever tried 2 degree knuckles or if anyone else besides me wondered what it might do. I guess I'll experiment some later time.

As for knuckles, it seems GPM F1 knuckles are the cheapest. Are they any good, or should I stay with atomic and kyosho?

michvin
2007.09.22, 12:38 PM
I guess so. It just seems that the setup everyone says to run for F1s is the following

Kyosho 30F
1 degree camber
-1 degree tow out
carbon side plates
Atomic disc damper
kyosho 20 rears

I was just wondering if whoever came up with this common setup most people follow for F1s ever tried 2 degree knuckles or if anyone else besides me wondered what it might do. I guess I'll experiment some later time.

As for knuckles, it seems GPM F1 knuckles are the cheapest. Are they any good, or should I stay with atomic and kyosho?if i understand correctly, toe out reduce steering. Is there a point to add more steering with knuckles?
As for the knuckles maker, i quitted bying anything but Kyosho. Tolerances in Kyosho products are much smaller and hence the play in the suspension is reduced. They are expensive, but it worth it.

herman
2007.09.22, 01:46 PM
i've tried 2* camber in my f-1.... (didn't think that a 1* camber wouldn't do anything so i went to 2* right away) for me, it provided more responsive steering into turns... as i was experiencing severe understeer with the stock knuckles... they've stayed on ever since...

haven't tried any toe in/out options... so can't really give you any feedback there...

hope this helps...

TheRinger
2007.10.01, 08:45 PM

Kyosho 30F
1 degree camber
-1 degree tow out
carbon side plates
Atomic disc damper
kyosho 20 rears

As for knuckles, it seems GPM F1 knuckles are the cheapest. Are they any good, or should I stay with atomic and kyosho?
DO NOT BUY GPM KNUCKLES! They suck. Kyosho is the best choice if U can find them. I got a set of atomic 1 degree knuckles and they work good. They come with spring spacers so U can adjust the spring tension and ride height.

arch2b
2007.10.01, 08:51 PM
i have the atomic knuckles and tie rod. i would certainly suggest trying the kyosho aluminum knuckles. i don't know if they make an aluminum tie rod? other than that the only peice aluminum is the motor heat sink on my f1.

herman
2007.10.01, 11:33 PM
hmm... incidentally my knuckles are gpm... haven't any bad experiences with them...

DO NOT BUY GPM KNUCKLES! They suck.
did you try them? just curious as to what makes them suck? :confused:

michvin
2007.10.02, 12:21 AM
hmm... incidentally my knuckles are gpm... haven't any bad experiences with them...

did you try them? just curious as to what makes them suck? :confused:I did. the spring has to be forced into the groove, which obviously prevents normal suspension movement. Changed to Kyosho's - the problem is gone (couple of other problems stayed though :) )

herman
2007.10.02, 02:49 AM
odd... didn't have that kind of problem... anyway happy to hear that problem is gone...

SaiTam
2007.10.09, 09:51 PM
I have tried 1, 2 and 0 degree.

0 degree works the best for me. I won the PN World A-main 3rd place with 0 degree.

Get the Kyosho alloy ones, and use the stock black ti-rod.

imxlr8ed
2007.10.09, 10:08 PM
I have tried 1, 2 and 0 degree.

0 degree works the best for me. I won the PN World A-main 3rd place with 0 degree.*

Get the Kyosho alloy ones, and use the stock black ti-rod.

Feels like there should be an asterisk behind this reply...

*your results may vary, results posted above were based on massive amounts of hand eye coordination and severe amounts of racing skill. ;)

I too run zero degree everything up front... stock settings always seemed to work best on my F1s. 30 degree fronts, worn 20s on the back.

herman
2007.10.10, 01:39 AM
*your results may vary, results posted above were based on massive amounts of hand eye coordination and severe amounts of racing skill.
totally agree on that one... you have to find what works best for you and your driving style/skill... as one set up might not work for everybody

ruf
2007.10.14, 09:54 PM
I'll disagree on this. Most of the "fast guys" set up their cars to be very easy to drive. Barry Baker once told me that he'd rather give 0.1-0.2s on the fastest lap and have a car he can drive consistently. It's very tough to win a race with a car that's a handful. To test this, go to any track and drive the "fast guy"s car and drive the new guy's car. Aside from motor, I'm willing to bet that the "fast guy"s car is easier to drive.

michvin
2007.10.15, 12:53 AM
I'll disagree on this. Most of the "fast guys" set up their cars to be very easy to drive. Barry Baker once told me that he'd rather give 0.1-0.2s on the fastest lap and have a car he can drive consistently. It's very tough to win a race with a car that's a handful. To test this, go to any track and drive the "fast guy"s car and drive the new guy's car. Aside from motor, I'm willing to bet that the "fast guy"s car is easier to drive.
that is so true...

TheRinger
2007.10.15, 09:37 PM

did you try them? just curious as to what makes them suck? :confused:
Yes I tried them. I had a pair and the sleeves would come out, bind up, and notice after I gave them to a friend of who pointed out they were bent at the tips that connect to the tie rod. I have atomic 1 degree knuckles on my F-1 with a 0 degree atomic alloy tie rod and they work fine.

imxlr8ed
2007.10.15, 09:40 PM
But.... an easy car to drive, coupled with nerves of steel and ton of patience?... a goal I shoot for. (and seem to miss alot! :o )

I remember someone at the club had a set of F1 knuckles that were terrible... the stock springs binded inside the knuckle. Someone said that you had to buy that manufacturers springs too. Long while ago, can't remember which ones they were.

herman
2007.10.15, 11:43 PM
Yes I tried them. I had a pair and the sleeves would come out, bind up, and notice after I gave them to a friend of who pointed out they were bent at the tips that connect to the tie rod. I have atomic 1 degree knuckles on my F-1 with a 0 degree atomic alloy tie rod and they work fine.

just looked at my f-1 yesterday... good thing my gpm knuckles were delrin, which was probably why i didn't seem to have any problems.. :D

herman
2007.10.16, 12:26 AM
Most of the "fast guys" set up their cars to be very easy to drive. Barry Baker once told me that he'd rather give 0.1-0.2s on the fastest lap and have a car he can drive consistently. It's very tough to win a race with a car that's a handful. To test this, go to any track and drive the "fast guy"s car and drive the new guy's car. Aside from motor, I'm willing to bet that the "fast guy"s car is easier to drive.

i guess i'll have to agree with that too...
"... the "fast guys" cars set up their cars to be very easy to drive." easy to drive for whom? the fast guy who set it up in the first place...

generally the "fast guy's" car will be easier to drive compared to the new guy's car... because the "fast guy" has invested quite some time and found a comfortable set up that would work for him... for the new guy, it might take him some time before he could find a comfortable set up for him to drive...

their final set ups may be totally different but through practice, and finding their best respective set ups... they may turn in lap times that could be quite close...

another thing to consider is driver's skill...

bottom line is that you will have to find a balance between the best set up for you that will give you the best time...

well enough of my blabbering... :)

pinoyboy
2007.12.07, 12:01 AM
I ended up trying out 2 degree knuckles. I forgot that the Kyosho F1 knuckles don't use mr-02 springs, so I ended up using some mr-02 Damper plate springs and it worked fine.

Anyways, I think 2 degrees worked for me ;), more mid corner steering when going into corners and able to get on the power earlier due to less understeer coming out. It still looks to have even front tire wear too

wwwes
2007.12.10, 02:49 PM
kyosho knuckles use the mr-01 springs. And yes I have had great luck withe the 2 degree...a little hard on tires but great, overall. I love the steering they give me.