PDA

View Full Version : RCP Track New Ideas

RCPMini-z
2007.09.28, 12:08 AM
It has been some time since we have manufactured new items and accessories for our tracks. The last new cutting tools we made were for the Nascar style large radius outer oval track that is currently sold through Kyosho America.

I am looking to make some new pieces and/or editions to the tracks. Have any great ideas? Post up here if you would like to see something new added or made for the tracks.

It has been requested by the RC Kenon (PN Racing) crew for an inside plastic liner to cover the rail side surface around the corners. This would help the cars glance off the rubber surface rather than stick and bounce into other cars.

I would like to hear your thoughts. If we end up using someone's idea here at Mini-zracer.com, I will compensate that person with a generous amount of new RCP Tracks and accessories.

Thanks for your participation in this thread and for all your support throughout the years.

If anyone is interested in RC rock crawling, be sure to check out our site at www.rcpcrawlers.com. The rock crawling scene is becoming very popular.

Best regards,
John Billig
rcptracks.com
rcpcrawlers.com

briankstan
2007.09.28, 01:09 AM
I'll put my thinking cap on.

it's great to see you back on MZR and making some post. Hope everything is going well with you and your family.

Brian

Inferno75
2007.09.28, 03:11 AM
Maby you can make a bridge kit in plexiglass or lexan or something?

Maby a "Y-kit" that makes it possible to drive different "tracks" or routes around the track without changing the layout?

Maby you can make large radius turns on 45 deg instead of having all turns 90 deg? To make it easier to have more variation on the layouts!

I'll also put my thinking cap on, and hopefully come with more ideas.

Rune

herman
2007.09.28, 03:24 AM
hi john... remember me? :D

how about making pitlane tiles, probably half the size of the square 50cm tile i.e. 50cm x 25cm or 50 cm x 30 cm that will fit the 50cm square tiles...

how about making a tile that will enable you to use the 30cm tiles with the 50cm tiles... just don't know how it'll be done...

hmm... got to put my thinking cap back on...

herman
2007.09.28, 03:31 AM
The last new cutting tools we made were for the Nascar style large radius outer oval track that is currently sold through Kyosho America.
large radius outer oval track.... hmmm i'm wonder is it banked? if not... how about making some banked tiles.... :D

herman
2007.09.28, 03:32 AM
here's another one... why not make a foam bridge for lapcounting systems something similar to the giro-z bridge

Aurora
2007.09.28, 03:35 AM
RCPMini-z/John,

My humble suggestion/idea:

1) Static proofed tiles/Solution
Metal embedded tiles(at the bottom, sold seperately) which reduce the possibility of static, which might affect the competition/fun. Many serious racer is currently using the AD band boards, and seems like there might be correlation between the static on RCP and AD band board.

For details, pls see:
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24396

2) RCP carpet
For many racer, going to the track on a daily/weekly basis might not be that easy. And instead of semi/permanently put-together RCP tiles. RCP carpet(with different sizes) which can be easily rolled-up will save space and good for quick fun at home. And it is best for drifting purposes.

3) Weighted foam obstacles
For serious racer training or for fun, different shaped/sized foam(made from the same material from the rail) with embedded lead weight can be used to create small road blocks. They can be used as ad-hop maze or training aid for racers.
Even the racers might hit the obstacles, it is totally safe for their expensive Kyosho shells.

4) Professional racing RCP modules
One of the major arguments for the carpet racers against the RCP is that the tiles have restricted the combination/variation of curves/turns.

Instead of pre-fixed tiles, now the supplemental corner tiles could be put together without any holes/gap/interruption in between the tiles, and the two boarders at the side of the curves could be created via weighted foam chain/obsticles.

The two boarders at the side of the curves could be adjusted into any kind of shape/curves, to suit racers' fancies.

Hopefully this helps. :D

Draconious
2007.09.28, 08:11 AM
Sell modified Roomba's to clean the tracks? ;)

pinwc4
2007.09.28, 08:41 AM
Full tile width jumps, maybe 3 different sizes. They could be made entirely out of the track material, 2 side pieces for support, a top and bottom piece all glued together. Imat has made something like this for their track but since they use a different tile size it does not quite fit right on RCP track. This would allow us to have an off-road style race with RCP track for our Micro-T's, Overlands and XMod trucks etc or when you expand the track width you could race 1/18th scale trucks and buggies.

Spoon
2007.09.28, 09:30 AM
This is not original but a grooved start/finish lane to easily insert your CORE loop would be awesome.

Draconious
2007.09.28, 11:28 AM
Magnetic Rail Pins? -- lol as if the pins are not expensive enough to make :).

Maybe a LARGE sized LINT roller? like you use to remove hair from your clothes, with the removeable sticky layers... but on a long poll to clean the track. :)

Oh yea almost forgot about this :D... a magnetic track planner set? ;) (see my old thread link were I was selling those) I still dont have your address to send one to you John... RCP... I guess those emails were I asked for it, got lost.

onrailz
2007.09.28, 01:20 PM
This is not original but a grooved start/finish lane to easily insert your CORE loop would be awesome.

I took a Dremel tool w/ router attachment to our start/finish line to do just that. It worked perfectly!

-Onrailz

mini-z
2007.09.28, 02:07 PM
Sell modified Roomba's to clean the tracks? ;)

Hey, we already have this! :D

imxlr8ed
2007.09.28, 03:02 PM
In the future, I plan to buy a serious amount of blank tiles for a custom basement setup... OR... any idea if you could sell just blank rolls of the track surface? (with the rough side on it) What's the raw size you cut the tiles from?

If I could get say 3 4' x 15' rolls... I'd be in business to build a kickass home track.

Also... would only need it in the Mini96 thickness as opposed to the WideL thickness.

Sinister_Y
2007.09.28, 03:19 PM
Hi John,

The problem my club and I have had with the 45 deg pieces is that they don't always go together (i.e. gaps). I've modified some full straight joining pieces into a 1/3 and 2/3 piece and they work great, but they were cut by hand. I know that die-cut templates can be pricey,but if you could release either 1 + 1/3 length piece and 2/3 piece or simply 1/3 pieces to add on that would make any 45 deg layout possible without gaps.

Thanks!

Shawn (Mini-Car Club of Canada)

mini-z
2007.09.28, 03:37 PM
Apologies for the OT post, but I'd not seen Sinister post in a while: S, do you have any posters left from last year's race? We brought one home w/ us, but it got damaged, and we'd love another one for Dojo decoration? :)

briankstan
2007.09.28, 04:06 PM
Hi John,

The problem my club and I have had with the 45 deg pieces is that they don't always go together (i.e. gaps). I've modified some full straight joining pieces into a 1/3 and 2/3 piece and they work great, but they were cut by hand. I know that die-cut templates can be pricey,but if you could release either 1 + 1/3 length piece and 2/3 piece or simply 1/3 pieces to add on that would make any 45 deg layout possible without gaps.

Thanks!

Shawn (Mini-Car Club of Canada)

I have several of these kits and never have gaps? I'm confused as to why you end up with gaps :o

cdog4w
2007.09.28, 06:45 PM
I'd like to see a 1 to 1.5 tile choke on the wide tile set. I'm sure this could be accomplished by using a normal edge tile and then putting a border on the other side of it held in place by tiles on the either end of it, but a proper RCP choke/narrow would be a nice addition. It would also let us wide tile guys have the best of both worlds and run more compact layouts at home (where space is limited) and run larger layouts when meeting up with friends at larger venues. I am 1 tile shy on width and 1 tile shy on height from running the 10x8 HFAY layouts in my house, just not enough space. Not being able to do a double back (needing 4 lane widths) really limits layout possibilities.

I have come up with a couple of layouts that make the most of the space, but the trick wouldn't work for larger chokes. I did the layout using Draconius's idea, but mine is not fancy and magnetized :)
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2429/imgp3655mz1.jpg

ByronF1
2007.09.28, 06:46 PM
It will be nice to join the 96 an the wide.... to make pit lines, or other things...

saiyan
2007.09.30, 02:23 AM
I like the idea of a tile piece that would allow you to integrate the mini-96 tiles to the wide L tile, this could be used for alternate routes and as a pit lane.

I think some of the tiles should only be half a jump for those who don't want to take it.

Some pieces that could be added to existing track such as green material that could be used to dress up a layout, for a grass look, or even restrict flow through a check point for added technicle skill would be nice.

I would also like to see some various tiles that would have diffeent terrain or obstacles on it for use as a rally surface. I have an AWD and a rallye body and it would be cool to have a RCP rallye track to race on.This is also were a joiner piece from wide to mini would come in handy for when you want the lane to be very tight and technicle.

rkk
2007.09.30, 05:13 PM
The last time you were looking for ideas I suggested 30 deg and 60 deg turns, the same could end could be accomplished using blank tiles and a magnetic barriers. With a flexible rail your options would be nearly limitless. Magnetic barriers could also be used to make chicanes and to reduce lane width. Small metal plates to place under the tile and a strong magnet in the bottom of the barrier.

A more simplified option may be to have multiple holes for the placement of barriers and 'blanks' that you can use to fill the holes. (Similar to what RMXRC did when they were custom shaping tiles)

"...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."
Dennis Miller

herman
2007.09.30, 11:08 PM
question on magnets... would the magnetic field interfere with the performance of the cars? i have no idea if they do... but if they didn't a magnetized rail system isn't such a bad idea really...

Draconious
2007.10.01, 07:46 AM
It wont mess with the cars so far as I know (%90 sure, but its possible)... however if the magnets are too large they may attract your motors or metal parts and grab your car and hold it there ;) lol.. but it would have to be HUGE for the mag field to reach that far. :)

I am curious about its effect on the core counter/transponders since its magnetic field based... I guess as long as one is not in the loop it should be fine.

The magnets would definatly collect your lost screws and metal parts...

In relation to my magnetic rail idea above... I know where to get magnets SUPER cheap, especially in the quantities RCP would need... so it would be cheaper than the plastic rail pins by a long shot if it was simply a magnet slightly larger than the existing rail holes pressed in and epoxied to the rail/track... it might be doable. The only reason to do this over using un-screwed rail pins that could also be an easy disconnect, is if the magnets are strong enough to not let the F1 bumpers get under the rail... which they can do a bit easier if you do not use both sides of the rail pin, thus why they screw down.

I wonder what it would be like to dissassemble a magnetized RCP track... Faster? Slower?

Would the collective strenght of all the magnets in the rail keep the rail in place when a car really rams it? If it works as I invision, the car would be able to push it.. but the magnetic field would pull it back in place...

Would it stack perfectly aligned held together by the magnets so its easy to transport?!?!?! :eek: :D

Wall rails that can be EASILY doubled or even trippled up with out taller pins?! man.. why did I not have this idea a long time ago before he invested in plastic tooling for the pins...

Dangerous to do large magnets slapping together... maybe use the hole cutout as a padd above/below the magnet?

What I have in mind just might work... RCP 2.0? the Magnetic Version? And Upgrade kit, since it would just use the existing track holes?! :)

As said above by user: RKK, the magnetic rails may solve the 30-60 degree rail pin delema that arose last year while desiginging 30-60 track sections... which I still think should be done to make super awsome tracks.

The down side would be... that it would be very time consuming to upgrade a track to my magnet idea.. having to glue a magnet in every hole.. and GLUE IT IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION! so it stacks with yours and other peoples tracks... however it would only have to be done once, and may save much more up-down time each time you set it up/tear it down, since its just pull the wall off and stack it with out the walls on it ;). It could be sold in a premium edition that has the magnets already installed, and a economy edition were you can do this yourself.

I now have a major itch to do this... and I was worried I would not have any more ideas for RCP, I feel I still owe him some more ideas ;) I guess I am going to have to order a bulk set of magnets... and convert the Mini96 tracks I have... test it all out. :) Now if I can only get my magnet supplier to respond to my emails again... sigh.

Draconious
2007.11.12, 07:11 PM
How about killing a few birds with one stone and releasing these?

They would be used in place of:
50cm 45 degree tiles (You showed interest in selling a different version)
50cm Wide Curves
50cm Chicanes (just a side effect of having these curves)
50cm 30 or 60 degree curves (you showed interest in these before)

They do NOT require a left and right version, but they will require the 10cm straight sections, wich would be awesome on their own to play with distances between curves.

http://s88452779.onlinehome.us/QuantumRC/Images/RCP_22-5_Curves.jpg

Above photo shows a potential "set" of 8 curve sections and 10 sections of 1/5th(10cm) straight tiles to fill gaps. It also shows an L, and 2 track concepts if you use this set and 1 L.

The curves and straights can be widened like next photo.

http://s88452779.onlinehome.us/QuantumRC/Images/RCP_22-5_CurvePatters.jpg

Spoon
2007.11.12, 08:24 PM
I am glad this thread popped back up.

One suggestion I had a while ago that I would snap up in an instant would be colored rail pins. Something as simple as white or black that would help ID your track when you combined track for larger events.

rkk
2007.11.12, 08:52 PM
Agreed, anyway to get some more variation in the layouts. Thanks for posting those again Drac.

PridgeoK
2008.01.14, 03:02 AM
Here's a novel of a post, but I'm feeling inspired with tracks & mini-z's in general lately:

-----

The more I think about improving RCP tracks without causing too much in the way of retooling the manufacturing facility would be to make a blank tile + flexible rail kit. People could make their rails custom-fit the track they want, and still be able to disassemble them.

Having a full set of blank tiles to make (basically) a base flooring of RCP, then forming a flexible rail system to make the particular track you want would be awesome. Others in this thread have already mentioned flexible weighted or magnetic rails, but I'm thinking that the foam that's currently used for the rails might just be modified to make it more flexible, and selling it in rolls. Make the ends of the rails the same as they are now, but provide a few simple end-pieces for ending a rail without needing to continue it (possibly for a pit-lane, or a divided highway)

Include a simple screw hole making tool to make your own screw-holes where you want them, and this idea might work really well. Basically just a sharp round plunger tool (large hole punch, perhaps) which would let you keep the plug from the hole you just made. Alternatively, pre-drilled holes could be made in the blank tiles (or at least some of those tiles) and include the plugs for covering them up (use them or not), though I don't think pre-drilled holes would line up that well, or would cause similarly static layouts to the current modular track.

The rails could be sold in rolls, with extra rolls being available as an add-on/replacement. So making that rail flexible but still basically as strong as the current foam rail would be your challenge. Keep the holes drilled where they already are tooled for in the shop, or again, let people use the hole-making tool if it works well... I'd guess that pre-drilled holes would be easier/less problematic for people, since they would then just need to make the screw holes in the thin blank tiles.

You could even include a small plastic cutting board for an underlay to use when making a new hole. Recommend simply forming the rails to the desired track, marking the holes you want to make, then use the tool to make a hole directly through the pre-drilled hole in the railing, using it as a guide so you make the hole in the blank tile in exactly the right place. Also recommend not making the rail hole where the tiles join together.

Make sure to include a washable white marker or two so people can draw out their rail positions before they customize (read: cut :eek: ) the tile holes.

An optional tool, for those who want to install permanent tracks, would be to have a sharp cutting tool for making precision cuts through blank tiles so you can form your track to it's permanent shape. For people who want to use this surface in a diorama as their track surface, this might work well. I'm thinking of something like a large olfa cutter with just the right depth for the track (see: http://www.quiltcentraltv.com/images/products/olfa-rty2dx.jpg). You'd definitely want to provide a cutting board underlay with it or also as another optional item. Not sure I'd want to cut my RCP, but looking at some of the custom tracks in Europe (surfing, not in person), this may be a good way to let people have the RCP surfaces in their custom built tracks.

All of this is probably easy-peasy for your shop without having to retool the place! The downside would be that after repetitive custom use, you'd have loads of holes + plugs everywhere! :p Still - those custom tracks could be very cool! You also might be able to use slightly less rail and have more track in the same space. On any given lane where another runs directly beside it, you could conceivably get away with only having one edging of rail down that lane.

-----

I'd also like to see the rails rounded on top, though having the ability to reverse them is nice.

-----

Rail protectors with a sleeve for personalized track banners would be cool. Rail protectors have been discussed on more than a few threads here, and it would be good to see RCP have some custom fit types. Being able to slide in a printed banner for, say, your club, or even typical track-side banners like you'd see at a F1 or CART race would be a neat way to personalize your track a bit.

-----

One last thought: change the screw-together rail anchors so taking the rails off is super easy (which would be very nice for a custom track kit like I described above, particularly if the flexible rail comes in long roll lengths). It'd be so nice to be able to simply push a rail anchor into the hole and have it snap in, then push on it again to have it snap out.

-----

enough from me!

Kevin.

arch2b
2008.01.14, 11:11 AM
in terms of a cutting tool, a round hole punch would be a good idea for those custom layout clubs and the only thing i think rcp could provide unless it's already available? any utility knife will cut the tile. cutting mat and straight edge should be the buyers resposibility as these are off the shelf items. for rcp to carry them is just increasing overhead on thier end for an item they can suggest in manuals as required tools like any other kids toy you buy for example.

blank tile kit and rail hole punch would be an awsome d.i.y. kit;)

i second the colored rail pins. myself and others have had to resort to painting them inorder to distinguish combined track tiles. no paint seems to adhear to the plastic though. not even the krylon fusion paints especially made for plastics.
can the rail pins be dyed?

Spoon
2008.01.14, 01:08 PM
can the rail pins be dyed?

That's a really good question...

hrdrvr
2008.01.14, 01:23 PM
Rumble strips on the insides of corners would be sweet. I saw some one on another board mention them.

mugmug
2008.02.10, 04:28 PM
- FOR THE MONSTER-Zs & OVERLANDS - how about some jump kits in various sizes with clear acrylic walls on both sides to keep poorly aimed cars inside the track. Continuing with the off road theme we desperately need various textured surfaces mimicking pebbles, grass, larger rocks, elevations etc but with a twist of just laying them on top of the on road track to make the transition from on road to off road super quick. We paid a-lot-o dough for our overlands and monster z's so now we need to race them to get the use out of them.

- ALL NEW RACE CLASS VIA RCP - The following has been overlooked by all classes of rc but rcp would be the perfect vehicle given it's nature. In Europe they have these races where 2 cars race the same distance simultaneously but each in their own dedicated track, so in effect there are 2 tracks of equal length. This will open whole new possibilities on club race nights.

- DEDICATED TABLE TOP TRACKS - With the upcoming 1/43 scale Kyosho cars new tracks designed from ground up and custom sized to fit those generic brown tables with the folding legs which are sold everywhere. Those tables come in various sizes so each size can have it's own custom layout(s). I would like to see either super slim barriers (like about 3/8 of an inch) if it's the custom route or the blank tile with flexible weighted down barrier which others have mentioned already. BTW the latter idea I think is inevitable for the 96 sized class & will be waaaaaay more convenient. Also your own idea of figure 8s will be screaming to be included in the table top version.As a bonus The table top track will also pull-in the countless people who have the toy class micros with no good option to run them on.

- ROCK CRAWLING INTERLOCKING BLOCKS - monster zs and overlands are a pretty nice platform for crawling. How about some interlocking composite rocks like giant lego blocks of various sizes that can be put together with no limit in size or configurations. I can just see a lot of people having a floor to ceiling climb on a corner of their bedroom not to mention half garages etc.

RCPMini-z
2008.02.11, 12:00 PM
All sounds good, except I think 1/43 is better suited for a modular set up like the Mini-96 series of track. Kyosho's 1/43 cars are going to be fast. They will need more room to run than on a table top size set up. I think 1/64 scale would be the true size for table top tracks.

Regarding modular rocks; already being designed. You can check out some details on the rocks from my post at rcc. We have both standard and mini versions in the works. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97711

pinwc4
2008.02.11, 02:22 PM
Regarding modular rocks; already being designed. You can check out some details on the rocks from my post at rcc. We have both standard and mini versions in the works. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97711

That is awesome. I somehow missed that thread on RCC. Are these panels oriented towards any specific class, like 2.2?

Are you doing any work towards making panels for a modular off road racing track? You had mentioned them a couple of years ago as a possibility. I still think adding whole lane length jumps would be the way to go. Make them out of the RCP track material, even the side, and glue them together. With 3 different jump sizes this would open up a ton of racing possibilities for stadium truck, buggy class racing.

mugmug
2008.02.11, 07:15 PM
All sounds good, except I think 1/43 is better suited for a modular set up like the Mini-96 series of track. Kyosho's 1/43 cars are going to be fast. They will need more room to run than on a table top size set up. I think 1/64 scale would be the true size for table top tracks.

Bravo re your 1/64 scale comment being true table top size. It's been my dream since literally 1999 for that to come about so a bit disappointed at the interim stop at 43rd scale of Dnano. You might have read my comments at the Dnano thread if not here it is with some cool info about 1:64th scale:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27423&highlight=1%2F43+scale&page=4

RE: Your Crawler Rocks: had seen them at the show, didn't realize their modular and did not know about plans for the mini version. Very cool on both accounts.

RE: 1/43 Scale Table Top Tracks: It will not be ideal but with slower motors & figure 8s with overpasses and another new idea of balcony lane via shelves on the wall which will make the track much longer I think there will be a bunch of takers who have a space of about 15 to 13L x 4W feet vs the ideal minimum of 18+L x 11+W. The reason is since it fits on top of the table and against a wall, you can still use under the table for ample storage and use wall shelves and cabinets above the table to find even more storage space for everyday living. With the 96s on the floor these options are not really available. I've tried the 96s on table tops, but the thick barriers eat up too much track space for that narrow configuration. If not custom tracks then a good overall alternate table top solution would be the already suggested by others blank tiles with weighted down barriers, with the added feature of attached barriers only on outside parameters. BTW not sure if I was clear before but I'm thinking modular for everything vs rolled or any other form. Also i guess exact table top sized tracks do not matter as most people will be able to get plywood to be placed on top of the table (under the track) to make up the difference.

rkk
2008.03.01, 12:16 AM
So RCPMini-z want to give us any hints as to what is in the works?

slientbob
2008.03.07, 07:08 PM
I like the idea of a tile piece that would allow you to integrate the mini-96 tiles to the wide L tile, this could be used for alternate routes and as a pit lane.

I think some of the tiles should only be half a jump for those who don't want to take it.

Some pieces that could be added to existing track such as green material that could be used to dress up a layout, for a grass look, or even restrict flow through a check point for added technicle skill would be nice.

I would also like to see some various tiles that would have diffeent terrain or obstacles on it for use as a rally surface. I have an AWD and a rallye body and it would be cool to have a RCP rallye track to race on.This is also were a joiner piece from wide to mini would come in handy for when you want the lane to be very tight and technicle.

rally tracks would be awesome. they would just need to be brownhttp://www.rcp-tracks.com/photos/Trade%20Shows/Kyosho%20-%20RCP%20Booth%20Hobby%20Visions%202004%204.jpg
the out side would be awesome for this

mikez
2008.04.08, 10:54 PM
^^^what he said^^^ 4wd rally would b WAY cool :D