PDA

View Full Version : new to me overland

fixed13
2007.10.02, 11:22 PM
I am waiting for my overland to arrive and have been looking through the posts. I am new to the overland not to mini-z's. I want to build a capable truck with larger tires and more ground clearence. I would like to do some scale crawling with it and just have a cool truck. Again, I have no experience with overlands and do not know what they can handle in stock form. I only know what I have read and seen in the forums. I know I like the look of the modded trucks and the vids I have seen seem to show the mod trucks performing much better then the stock ones. I have already figured out the lego tire upgrade and have ordered some tires. Any other info would be greatly appreciated. The body is a BMW X5, I believe. I did not pay to much attention to what the body was due to the fact that it was cheep enough. Bodies can be changed.

aimfox
2007.10.05, 06:44 PM
get some oil springs, a new motor for performance and some chassis replacement parts to enhance the speed

fixed13
2007.10.07, 12:49 AM
Well I have done the lssm shock mod with good results. Will oil shocks perform better? I would assume you can't do the lssm mod to those. What kind of motor do you suggest? What kind of chassis parts? Again I am not looking for speed, I want a capable off road/ crawler truck. I have all the speed I want in my MR-02 and MR-015.

Sky
2007.11.05, 11:17 AM
Make sure you put the diff lock plate in so it's full RWD, that will help a lot. Gear it down as far as possible, get some alloy steering knuckles, I broke those 2nd time out. Also a Titanium idler gear, those will blow out fairly easy with jumps from forward to reverse and such.

They won't crawl all that well unless you get into custom transmissions or like a servo swap.

fixed13
2007.11.06, 11:08 PM
Make sure you put the diff lock plate in so it's full RWD, that will help a lot. Gear it down as far as possible, get some alloy steering knuckles, I broke those 2nd time out. Also a Titanium idler gear, those will blow out fairly easy with jumps from forward to reverse and such.

They won't crawl all that well unless you get into custom transmissions or like a servo swap.
Thanks for the input, diff lock is in (truck did not come with it, ebay buy, I made my own from lexan). I am running the 9? tooth pinion at the moment and it seems to do fairly well. Has lego tires and a custom roof rack. I really enjoy this little truck. Its a great change from the cars.