PDA

View Full Version : Intellect problem

TheRinger
2007.10.05, 11:12 PM
I bought 2 sets of intellect batteries a short time ago and they went bad in a very short amount of time. The first set went on there second charge, two of them vented, the second set one of the batteries severly leaked after six charges. I was charging them on a lacrosse charger at 700mah. After the first set went I set up a fan to blow on the batteries and they still vented. Am I doing something wrong or is this a common problem? Either way intellects suck.

Spoon
2007.10.06, 12:14 AM
I've had a few of them vent but at this point I've probably purchased about 50 intellects.

You could try doing the initial charge at a lower current, but at this point there are so many battery choices out there it's probably just best to stay away from them. Not worth destroying a charger.

michvin
2007.10.06, 12:29 AM
Junk. I'm staying away - moved to Sanyo's and waiting for Team Orion 1200...

briankstan
2007.10.06, 01:13 AM
they are very paticular in how they are charged. I have several sets, I've had one vent.

I use them with my ICE charger and they have been fine.

jbevins
2007.10.06, 08:33 AM
yeah so far I've been running them for about 6 months and no issues and I have 4 sets they by far have the lowest resistance of any cell I run, I charge them with a ICE charger with a homemade holder, I'll take a picture of the holder if youall would like.

TheRinger
2007.10.06, 10:36 AM
yeah so far I've been running them for about 6 months and no issues and I have 4 sets they by far have the lowest resistance of any cell I run, I charge them with a ICE charger with a homemade holder, I'll take a picture of the holder if youall would like.
Yes I would like to see the charger and the holder that U are using to charge them. What is this ice charger everyone speaks of? I must aquire one.

briankstan
2007.10.06, 10:40 AM
Yes I would like to see the charger and the holder that U are using to charge them. What is this ice charger everyone speaks of? I must aquire one.

here is a link to it.

http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4170.html

only bad thing about the ICE is you need a Power converter to use it as it's DC powered.

I use the atomic trays when charging AAA's

TheRinger
2007.10.06, 10:55 AM
here is a link to it.

only bad thing about the ICE is you need a Power converter to use it as it's DC powered.

Thanks for the link briankstan. This charger would be worth it for my bigger scale stuff alone.

briankstan
2007.10.06, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the link briankstan. This charger would be worth it for my bigger scale stuff alone.

yep, you can use it to cycle your batteries, I use it to charge my Heli batterys, and my larger battery packs as well.

you can charge just about any R/C battery with it.

TALLGEESE
2007.10.07, 07:25 PM

Ringer, I've got an ICE charger and I really like it.. I bought one to use for charging LIPO packs with and It's really easy to program and use... Next time you come over to race Mini-Z's I'll show you how to use it if you want... For charging the AAA's, a lot of people get a 4 cell AAA battery holder from Radio Shack.. You can get one for only one or two dollars.. This seems to me to be a safer, more money-saving way for charging the Intellects if you're really into using them.. If you're cells vent, you're only going to damage the inexpensive battery holder, instead of destroying a whole charger... I've also seen people use the clear chassis from the Mini-Z F1 to charge batteries in....

cowboysir
2007.10.07, 07:32 PM
I use intellects almost exclusively and I haven't yet had a problem ever. I use Atomic's inline charger to avoid the connectors resistance with a Duratrax Pirahna charger.

Spoon
2007.10.07, 07:52 PM
here is a link to it.

Ringer, if you need a 12V DC power supply, let me know. I can set you up.

shuter
2007.10.08, 10:12 PM
I have had Intellects vent at least once using four different chargers. The first two chargers were inexpensive high rate chargers so I blamed it on them. My other two types of chargers that experienced Intellect venting are both made by Maha. I witnessed one intellect leaking or "venting" in a Maha charger after being in the charger only a few minuites. The battery was not hot. Intellect batteries seem to have an issue with the vent seal not seating properly. I've never had any other brand of battery vent.

bermbuster
2007.10.10, 08:38 PM
I have had Intellects vent at least once using four different chargers. The first two chargers were inexpensive high rate chargers so I blamed it on them. My other two types of chargers that experienced Intellect venting are both made by Maha. I witnessed one intellect leaking or "venting" in a Maha charger after being in the charger only a few minuites. The battery was not hot. Intellect batteries seem to have an issue with the vent seal not seating properly. I've never had any other brand of battery vent.
When I charge my IB 750s I use a charging tray w my ice charger and a thermal probe....i set the temp cut off at 105 F and my weeping (leaking of acid) stopped....
the packs still get a good charge....

TheRinger
2007.10.11, 08:58 PM
Ringer, if you need a 12V DC power supply, let me know. I can set you up.
Thanks spoon. I will let U know.

TheRinger
2007.10.11, 08:59 PM
I'm definetly going to pick one of these up soon.

arch2b
2007.10.11, 09:04 PM
i have a search saved on ebay for this. it's tuff to come buy at a good used price and even harder to find a backlit modified used charger.

cowboysir
2007.11.01, 09:28 PM
quick question about venting....is it usually a big event or is it something that occurs quietly? I ask because I thiunk while charging some intellects one(maybe 2) cells had a slight leak of clear liquid out of the positive end so i'm wondering if that was it... :eek:

shuter
2007.11.01, 09:51 PM
The leaking of clear liquid (electrolyte) is what I have experienced with the Intellects. It would be referred to as venting. The positive end is where the vent is. Once the battery has vented, I think it is likely to vent again and should be discarded. The electrolyte is extremely corrosive and should be cleaned up immediately if possible to prevent permanent damage to the charger or charge tray.

cowboysir
2007.11.01, 10:15 PM
Thanks shuter...I figured that's what it was. I appreiciate the confirmation. :cool: