PDA

View Full Version : Damper Systems

Programmers
2007.10.16, 11:28 AM
I was thinking of looking into a damper system, but which one do I want?! There are so many.

I know I want a good brand - so I'm gonna choose Atomic, but I don't know what flavour to get.

There's the ordinary one and there's one where the plate looks like a Y. What's the difference??

I want my car to be a little less unpredictable out of the corners and I will be running a soft H-Plate.

simpleskin
2007.10.16, 11:51 AM
I prefer PN and 3 Racing to Atomic. PN has much better quality.

Spoon
2007.10.16, 11:58 AM
Which motor mount do you have? Are you running MM or RM?

FastTRX
2007.10.16, 01:02 PM
Which motor mount do you have? Are you running MM or RM?
On that note...would side dampeners work good w/ an RM setup and a disc damper?

I'm going to a disc damper soon (probably PN) for my RM and I've seen the side dampeners for the RM....just want to know if this would be effective?

The tracks I run aren't bumpy...pretty smooth. I run usually on carpet...soon on RCP. I would basically need a smooth-turning car...would these side dampeners work good with a disc setup in the turns? My car is a 94mm wheelbase NSX BTW.

pinoyboy
2007.10.16, 01:10 PM
People don't really use side spring dampers, at least i've never seen anyone I race with who use it. I think those came out first, then disc dampers came out and did a much better job of dampening side to side movement since they didn't have binding issues.

I'm not sure, but if you plan to keep the stock motor pod, then I think the only one that works with it is the 3Racing disc damper. :confused:

By the way, when you get a motor mount, do you plan on staying RM or MM?

FastTRX
2007.10.16, 01:18 PM
I'm wanting to stay RM...I like the feel of the car. It's funny because I dont know anything I can base it off of...this is my first mini-z. I just like the stability of the car in the turns...and it corners like it's on rails. I haven't touched it...it handles great the way it came. I want to play with different tire/wheel setups. I think changing to a different offset and tire compounds will help me further dial the car.

The only reason I asked about side spring dampeners is because I was reading a mini RC mag and they had a car that had some on it...as well as a kyosho oil shock. A guy from PN was commenting on the car...he didn't say much about the side dampeners though. I was just curious about them.

I don't plan on keeping the stock motor pod...I plan on upgrading to the PN RM one...but nobody has them in stock at the current moment. I'm ready to buy one as soon as they are availiable. I'm still debating the PN and 3 Racing Disc Damper setup...don't know which one I will choose. Price isn't really a big thing with me, just peformance...but the 3 racing is VERY affordable. From what everyone says they are as good as any though...

pinoyboy
2007.10.16, 01:30 PM
I'm wanting to stay RM...I like the feel of the car. It's funny because I dont know anything I can base it off of...this is my first mini-z. I just like the stability of the car in the turns...and it corners like it's on rails. I haven't touched it...it handles great the way it came. I want to play with different tire/wheel setups. I think changing to a different offset and tire compounds will help me further dial the car.

The only reason I asked about side spring dampeners is because I was reading a mini RC mag and they had a car that had some on it...as well as a kyosho oil shock. A guy from PN was commenting on the car...he didn't say much about the side dampeners though. I was just curious about them.

I don't plan on keeping the stock motor pod...I plan on upgrading to the PN RM one...but nobody has them in stock at the current moment. I'm ready to buy one as soon as they are availiable. I'm still debating the PN and 3 Racing Disc Damper setup...don't know which one I will choose. Price isn't really a big thing with me, just peformance...but the 3 racing is VERY affordable. From what everyone says they are as good as any though...

hmm, I see. I think the car I sent you was pretty stable, actually maybe a little too stable to my liking. Those PN tires have lots of grip!

If you went with a mid mount, you'd probably get that extra steering that you may want without changing the tires. Plus, adding a disc damper can further dial things in.

By the way, if you can't find an RM mount, the only mid mount that I know that works with an NSX is the Atomic Version III motor mount
http://www.rcatomic.com/atomic/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=371&category_id=38&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

I think its a good buy since it can work with both a 94mm and 98mm wheelbase.

Programmers
2007.10.16, 01:43 PM
On both my cars I run atomic mounts. One is RM and one is MM...

I plan on making both my cars have DD setups...

FastTRX
2007.10.16, 01:46 PM
Hank...I'll keep that mount in mind. The PN RM does work with the 94mm NSX right?? Just making sure.

Programmers...we're in the same boat as far as looking for a DD system goes. I don't even have an oil filled shock on my setup. I've yet to change the H-plate. It's amazing how good this car already handles. I'm not sure if you played with this setup before, but this car seems pretty dang good to me Hank!!

BTW...what hardness H-Plate is installed on my car?

Programmers
2007.10.16, 02:06 PM
The stock H-Plate is the same as a medium graphite one.

If it runs well, why are you changing stuff? I wish my car ran as good as it used to!! It's cheaper that way. Here's what happened:

It was perfect - then I short circuited it.
Got a new one - the POT wouldn't centre.
Fixed it - perfect car again.
New HFAY motor came along - ruined everything!

Haha... I've found that my problems lie within the rear suspension. The H-Plate being soft makes a HUGE difference but it's still a little unsteady out of the corners. Perhaps a DD will make things better for me. It's just finding the one I need.

FastTRX
2007.10.16, 03:32 PM
I like the setup...but it's my nature to change things and want to make it better.

This past saturday was my first time ever running a mini-z for the first time. And it was mine. :rolleyes:

First I think I'm going to try some different tires and a softer H-Plate. Then I'm going to the DD...

All I've ever owned before was Xmods and a mini-T!

lfisminiz
2007.10.16, 09:51 PM
If you want to stay with a RM (94MM) set-up, may i suggest trying the Pn or Atomic RM/MM motor pod and disc damper set-up. Its becomming a HOT set-up. Theres a couple of threads flying around here about this. ;) :)

FastTRX
2007.10.17, 02:27 PM
If you want to stay with a RM (94MM) set-up, may i suggest trying the Pn or Atomic RM/MM motor pod and disc damper set-up. Its becomming a HOT set-up. Theres a couple of threads flying around here about this. ;) :)
That's the mount that you can switch to MM or RM? I can't find anyone that has the PN RM mount...anywhere! All stores (including tinyrc) are sold out!

If they have this one in stock I may put in an order for one...

Thus far I like the 94mm setup...but I have nothing to compare it to.

TALLGEESE
2007.10.17, 03:17 PM
FastTRX, the PN mount is very good, as other's on here already mentioned.. Their multi-length disk damper set is really high quality, and it's available in graphite or fiberglass with you're choice of either silver, blue, or orange anodized parts.. You can run either rear-mount or mid-mount motor pods with this disk damper setup... The graphite version is extremely nice in my opinion.. This disk damper set also comes with three different spring sets which allow you to fine-tune you're damper settings..

Another high quality damper is the Kyosho rear-mount disk damper set.. The Kyosho is a carbon fiber disk damper setup, and comes with blue anodized mounting hardware and grease for the damper plates.. The Kyosho is very compact, and you can use it with the stock motor mount until you get an aftermarket one..

As far as the PN rear motor mount goes, it's the best one on the market currently in my opinion.. It's a high quality piece and it's actually 1 gram lighter than the stock plastic motor mount that it replaces.. You can't go wrong with that one, it's a good choice..

Red Team
2007.11.13, 03:33 PM
Hello guys, I'm planing to go to DD anytime soon on my almost stock MR02 RM...will the PN multi-length DD mentioned by TALLGEESE, will work with the stock motor mount or I have to go with Kyosho rear - mount disk damper set, if I want to keep the stock motor mount ? OR may be I should use 3 Racing DD ?
But more important, does make sense to add the DD without changing the mount or I'll not notice any improvements ?

I should mention that my Ferrari 360 RM it's running almost perfectly, but the carpet track it's a bit bumpy because of the wooden floor below and the rear hops up quite a bit, especially on some parts of the track.
I'm planning to add also a better differential but I still keeping the stock motor mount ...which should be the last on the list of changing. Do you think that I should consider my priorities ?
Thanks for your input !

CristianTabush
2007.11.13, 05:03 PM
I will have to disagree with Tallgeese. I get the priviledge of running any aftermarket parts on my cars since my sponsor is not really tied to any manufacturer. The PN motor mount is of great quality, but it is not the best. There are 4 features that make the Atomic Motor 94/98mm Motor mount the best.

#1.Crinkle finish: Many of you think it is a bad finish, but it actually is the way it is for a reason. The crinkle finsish has more surface area and dissipates heat better.
#2.Angle cut at the front: Allows for full range of motion fore and aft. Take a look at it closely and you'll see what I am talking about. The PN is cut at a 90 deg angle from the floor and limits fore and aft suspension movement in 94mm mode.
#3.Mount is heavier: YES! HEAVIER! THis motor mount puts weight where the MR-02 needs it most, close to the rear axle. I still had to add weight to my stock car at the world cup, even with my car having a whole bunch of alloy in order to bring it to minimum weight. Doesn't hurt that it is much sturdier than all the other ones available. A bent motor mount is one of the hardest things to detect and can make your mini-z experience miserable.
#4.Adjustable axle height: This one speaks for itself. Most of the time I keep it in the center, but with certain tire/wheel combo, I have raised the axle to the lowest position in order to drop the rear end.

Now for the disk damper, there is only a couple of rules I follow.
1.ALWAYS sand your Damper plate with 1000-3000 grit
2.ALWAYS run Atomic's delrin damper disks (sand these as well). No matter what disk damper system you have, these disks are the Diggity! They seem to provide much smoother damping for some reason and this translates on the track, believe me.

CristianTabush
2007.11.13, 05:04 PM
Oh and don't forget to lube your disk damper system! Keep a set of oil ranging from 70-200 weight. The more grip there is the higher the lube you need.

TALLGEESE
2007.11.13, 08:12 PM
Christian, I was just posting what I felt worked out best for me in my experiences... I believe that for running a smaller/more technical RCP track setup{3wide-L's or less}, a lighter car does better to some degree... This is what I have run on personally.. You have more experience running large world-cup events and personally I really trust you're opinion :D..

I can see the advantages of having a heavier rear-mount pod, for running on a large/high-speed track layout you probably would want to have some extra weight to keep the car more planted due to running at higher speeds... I also like the fact that the Atomic mount is ride-height adjustable.. I have had the same Atomic motor-mount in the past and on mine the ride-height spacers were cut/machined unevenly which caused the car to sit uneven in the rear.. This is part of the reason I recommended the PN mount, maybe I just got a bad Atomic mount:(.. For me personally PN parts seem to be higher quality.. Atomic's got a lot of good products, I've got some myself and have been happy with them, but for me It's been a crapshoot when it comes to Atomic parts.. I've yet to have any problems with any of my PN parts...

I've never bent a rear-mount motor pod yet in all the time that I've been racing Mini-Z's.. I could see it happening in a large collision though.. I've also had friends of mine accidentally bend them by dropping them before.. I'll agree with Christian on the benefits of sanding and lubing the disk damper's and plates.. He's dead-on about using 1000-3000 grit sandpaper for those.. Red Team, if you're looking for a good tutorial on how to do this, check out the "Disk Damper Tuning" thread that my friend VAzRACER posted up here in the "Setups" section...

Red Team, I'd say go with whatever disk-damper setup and motor-mount you like personally.. Christian made a lot of good suggestions in his post, so did a lot of other's..

Red Team
2007.11.14, 05:32 AM
Thanks...for the stock mount motor I'm using, I might choose the Kyosho DD and Atomic delrin sanded & lubed disks, as Cristian adviced. Do these fits eachother ?

CristianTabush
2007.11.15, 04:05 PM
You might have to use the super hardened post from Atomic to get it to work with the Kyosho plate as it uses a long screw instead of a post to capture the springs.

Red Team
2007.11.17, 10:52 AM
Thanks Cristian !

jaank
2007.11.28, 01:09 PM
How do do setup of 3racing Mr-02 damper plate?