PDA

View Full Version : Nascar Kits

byebye
2007.10.20, 10:17 PM
Well I had my first experience with the Nascar kits. :o

I'll tell ya the bodies are excellent. The kit came with different extensions for the top spring damper connection at the motor mount and it came with a set of "high grip" tires.

No problems out of the box. Put some batteries in and took it for a spin. On the first lap I noticed it liked to get loose. I changed the rear tires to the high grip that came with the kit. I noticed right away the tire compound was really soft and didn't have as much grip as what it came with stock. So I swapped the front to back. It ran a little better but still got loose.

So after a few laps I started to notice how easy it was for the body to come off. If I reversed it into the wall it popped off really easily. I didn't throw any tires though and the body slid off the walls without any problems.

After about an hour I noticed more and more that it drove like an F1. I don't really prefer the F1's. I've always hated the tire compounds to choose from and the lack of aftermarket support on that. So I decided I'd pull the wheels and run some racers.

I went ahead and put four, zero offset, wide wheels on with Kyosho 20's. It was like night and day. It actually ran like a racers. No sliding, no drifting rear end, no understeer/oversteer. It stuck and was really easy to control. I did the same thing to a modded mr-02 I had and for some reason it really turned quickly. Afterwards I realized I was running 2 deg. camber in the front. I'll have to switch it to zero's or stockers.

So in the end I've decided to order some zero offset wide dish wheels and am going to run wide tires all around. It just felt ten times more stable around the track. I also need to figure out how to keep the bodies from coming off so easily. Maybe some tape?

What's everyone elses thoughts?

Kris

arch2b
2007.10.20, 10:41 PM
i agree entierly that they handle alot like driving an f1. they have huge overhangs and teh way they track feels just like driving an f1.

just as with the classic tires, the lack of options in the nascar tire line is what will make them hard to stick with. it's hard enough to find f1 tires so i don't expect much in teh way of support for nascar tires.

while i typ. ran mine on a pn conversion bar mr-02 chassis, it still felt like driving a boat. i am also surprised that +0 wides are all it takes. they seem like slightly wider cars. are the nascar tires the same size, front to back? if so, than 4 wide setup is just an altered setup which isn't surprising the handling is much better given the enormous range of options available. fyi, the kyo 20's are discontinued in favor of the new tires coming in the next couple weeks. this is unfortunate as the kyo 20's have been the most consistent tire line i've ever used in tha last 6 years. i only hope the new line is just as good and consistent.

what were your thoughts on the electronics? i was actually surprised at the same level of performance they seem to have as the normal pcb's. i did not see any detremental side effects from a cheaper board. i know others have, but mine runs just as nicely as any of my mr-02's.

have you had any other feedback on them from new club memebers?

Sinister_Y
2007.10.20, 10:57 PM
FYI,

I've bought 12 kits for my club. The initial 4 were to support an United Way race I did. I had some minor problems like one of the side mounts coming off the body (which I can't find now...sucks) and there was one car that didn't stear anymore; a quick take apart and rebuild fixed it but I can tell the pot. will need replacing as the steering will twitch until you touch the wheels and settle down the twitch. I had to replace one of the transmitters as the car keep full throttle...so used my JR-1 instead (Ex-10 clone by JR). Anyway, I will be running Nascar only series soon for my club. I have 10+ PN Nascar motor mounts, PN speedy 05's etc...

My friend owns a foam cutting company and is prototyping a banking kit (for RCP) for me. The 1st version should be ready by this coming week. I will post pics once it gets operational. The final versions should be sold possibly through the shop here and some other places.

My feedback regarding the handling is that the PN mount works great. I also switched all cars to use the sticky rears, however, this is a push at high speed. I will work on setups; but let's trade some ideas. Thanks bye bye for your input, I will try that setup as well and then convert all the cars.

byebye
2007.10.20, 11:45 PM
FYI,

I've bought 12 kits for my club. The initial 4 were to support an United Way race I did. I had some minor problems like one of the side mounts coming off the body (which I can't find now...sucks) and there was one car that didn't stear anymore; a quick take apart and rebuild fixed it but I can tell the pot. will need replacing as the steering will twitch until you touch the wheels and settle down the twitch. I had to replace one of the transmitters as the car keep full throttle...so used my JR-1 instead (Ex-10 clone by JR). Anyway, I will be running Nascar only series soon for my club. I have 10+ PN Nascar motor mounts, PN speedy 05's etc...

My friend owns a foam cutting company and is prototyping a banking kit (for RCP) for me. The 1st version should be ready by this coming week. I will post pics once it gets operational. The final versions should be sold possibly through the shop here and some other places.

My feedback regarding the handling is that the PN mount works great. I also switched all cars to use the sticky rears, however, this is a push at high speed. I will work on setups; but let's trade some ideas. Thanks bye bye for your input, I will try that setup as well and then convert all the cars.
Here is one with an MR-02 with the PN mr-02 to mr-015 front kit.
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1228/medium/100_2590.JPG
I don't have many double sets of wheels anymore so I had to mix up wide zero offset wheels.
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1228/medium/100_2589.JPG
I found a use for that MR-01. With an MM motor mount from an MR-02 I can now run an MR-01 chassis under a nascar. The one pictured has the nascar semi-wide wheels.
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1228/medium/100_2592.JPG
And here is all three different chassis side by side. You can actually run zero offset fronts and zero wide rears on an mr-02 and still run the Nascar bodies.The two chassis on the left are running 11mm wheels all around the MR-01 on the right just had the semi-wides on the left. I wanted to see if it would fit.
http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/data/1228/medium/100_2607.JPG
I'd like to see a link to the new tires. I didn't know they were discontinued. As far as the electronics they seems fine. No real glitches. There was a range problem but I think that was just because the kids were sitting on the end of the track and not the center.

I ran a speedy NM and 9t gearing on the box stock car. Was pretty quick. No brakes of course but no one noticed. All the testing of the wide racer wheels was done tonight with just my wife and I. She really liked it much more than with the stock Nascar wheels.

Sin-I'm waiting on my wide inside turn kit. I'll run a single tile width between the kit on each end. I'm only running two wide L's and the track is about 24' long by 9'. I'd like to work on banking the turns.

I'm going to order some Dish wheels from the shop tomorrow. I'm thinking when this club gets going I'll push for people to buy the dish wheels and wide racer tires.

Kris

byebye
2007.10.20, 11:49 PM
FYI,

We'll definately trade ideas, especially setup. I am trying to do the same thing you are doing it sounds like. I wanted to get used the the Nascar kits before I dropped a bunch of cash on kits and find that they just can't do what I want them to do. I'll tell you the first thing I notced was camber made a big difference on those wide wheels.

Keep me posted on the banks. I was also thinking carved or shaped foam. Light weight and easy to manage is the key. I was going to go wood but then you have all those wood pieces and it just would seem awkward.

Kris

arch2b
2007.10.21, 09:39 AM
dish wheels are cheap and good. i've got a full est of these in white and chrome :p

HammerZ
2007.10.21, 10:59 PM
Other than bearings, all I added to my nascars are the 3racing KZ-01/BU/SG mounts from the shop here. Those mounts made a night and day difference in the way these cars handle, $18.33 is well spent here. Do not expect it to fit the MR01, as the plates are unique to these mounts and made only for the MR015-02 chassis. Even with the stock mounts running the soft rears these are good with doing doughnuts. Now with the same setup the rear is way more planted on turns. The rest of the car is stock. I was looking into an oval setup, wrap tape around the gear side wheel for a stagger. Maybe add a wedge to the rear mount to ballance it out. I am just big on sticking with the nascar tire/wheel combo, as that is what makes these cars. Using normal racer wheels, you may as well run any standard racer body. Then it isn't a nascar anymore.

arch2b
2007.10.21, 11:06 PM
...Using normal racer wheels, you may as well run any standard racer body. Then it isn't a nascar anymore.
to a purist maybe... like having to have an awd body on the ma-010... it matters to some and others could care less :)

byebye
2007.10.22, 12:10 AM
Other than bearings, all I added to my nascars are the 3racing KZ-01/BU/SG mounts from the shop here. Those mounts made a night and day difference in the way these cars handle, $18.33 is well spent here. Do not expect it to fit the MR01, as the plates are unique to these mounts and made only for the MR015-02 chassis. Even with the stock mounts running the soft rears these are good with doing doughnuts. Now with the same setup the rear is way more planted on turns. The rest of the car is stock. I was looking into an oval setup, wrap tape around the gear side wheel for a stagger. Maybe add a wedge to the rear mount to ballance it out. I am just big on sticking with the nascar tire/wheel combo, as that is what makes these cars. Using normal racer wheels, you may as well run any standard racer body. Then it isn't a nascar anymore.

I'd like to say that I could just have people pull these out of the box and run them but that isn't the case. The tires are the weak point just the same as with the F1 which is why I never bothered with them.

It will never be Nascar anyway. And never will RCP tracks mimic real life tracks so what's your point?

Kris

HammerZ
2007.10.22, 02:58 AM
The point is that mount works well on these cars, even with the tires that come with the set. It sets the motor down lower, and makes for a far more stable car. I was not satisfied with my nascars till I got those mounts installed on them. These mounts are a little bit heavier than the stock mounts are. That is weight that's on the tires, and not the body. All I can say is try it before you knock it. Only thing is you will be using the last two holes on the chassis to mount it, not the middle two.

The only reason I got these was the stock MM mounts seem to break in a very short time. The extra body overhang may be the issue here.

The tire issue I think is to try to stick with those, and try to get the companies to make these for that class. Even if someone had an adapter ring system to allow racer tires to fit the smaller wheels. This is wishful thinking I guess. I may be looking more at the scale look of it. To me the whole nascar draw is seeing the "GOODYEAR" and "EAGLE" logos spinning around the tires as it runs. Also these tires do make it different than my racers, the thicker rubber gives the cars more of a float feel. I never expected a tight road course car from these with that 102mm wheelbase to start with.

byebye
2007.10.22, 07:49 AM
The point is that mount works well on these cars, even with the tires that come with the set. It sets the motor down lower, and makes for a far more stable car. I was not satisfied with my nascars till I got those mounts installed on them. These mounts are a little bit heavier than the stock mounts are. That is weight that's on the tires, and not the body. All I can say is try it before you knock it. Only thing is you will be using the last two holes on the chassis to mount it, not the middle two.

The only reason I got these was the stock MM mounts seem to break in a very short time. The extra body overhang may be the issue here.

The tire issue I think is to try to stick with those, and try to get the companies to make these for that class. Even if someone had an adapter ring system to allow racer tires to fit the smaller wheels. This is wishful thinking I guess. I may be looking more at the scale look of it. To me the whole nascar draw is seeing the "GOODYEAR" and "EAGLE" logos spinning around the tires as it runs. Also these tires do make it different than my racers, the thicker rubber gives the cars more of a float feel. I never expected a tight road course car from these with that 102mm wheelbase to start with.

I meant what was your point about it "not being nascar anymore" running racer wheels :p

You and Arch2b hit some key points that need to be looked at. The rear end of the car does hang pretty far and the rear also may seem a little light for the tires. CP has H-plates for Rear Mounts. I also have a silver allow mount I'm going to give a try.

I too wanted it to be authentic in that you had the yellow decalled tires. The high grip tires that come with the kit are not labeled so what then? What I'm thinking is advertising it as "high grip tire wheel set" instead of racer wheels and tires. In the pics you can see the darker wheels don't look half bad. If everyone ran a set of black dish wheels with wide racers tires it wouldn't be noticable on the track. The major difference would be better handling.

If need be I'll pick up a couple of the 3racing mounts for trial. All the mounts I have are PN MM mounts.

Do you think there is a way I could break-in the tires? The "high grip" tires seem to soft and pick up dust smoothing them out.

Thanks for all the input guys. :)

Kris

arch2b
2007.10.22, 11:11 AM
we need to either convince kyo to produce more tire options or get gpm, pn, 3r etc. to jump into the frey. seeing as how atomic is the only other serious f1 tire maker, they would be your best bet.

i do agree the stock wheels are a key visual point but just that, visual.

honestly, if i could get good nascar tires, i would love to run the wheels/tires on my classic cars as well, like my 250 gto. i tried tehm out and they look good on the car but the tire choice makes it a waste of time.

has anyone tried softening up the stock tires? the high grips are good for the rear but to much for the front. if we could soften up the front tires by soaking in wd40, simple green or the like, it would likely be a good fit. makes for a very inconsistent approach though.

i'm following this thread with interest as i still keep my nascar setup just in case. :)

so is the suggestion that a rm motor setup would add weight to the lengthy rear end add some stability? i prefer pn motor mounts due to weight but if weight is what you want there are some hefty designs out there.

HammerZ
2007.10.22, 09:48 PM
That mount I posted is an MM type mount, It just drops the motor down lower much like those new LM cars design. That helps keep both rear tires planted on turns. I run them with the stock gear diff and can see the difference in the racing line. I figure that an RM in this case would just make it worse.

http://mini-zracer.com/mini-zgallery/showphoto.php?photo=9034&cat=661

Heres a link showing the bottom of it.

arch2b
2007.10.22, 10:52 PM
ah, ok. understood. thanks for the picture.

i've read reviews of that pod before and the concensus seemed to be it wasn't worth the cost due to having proprietary parts needed if you broke the bottom plate for example. i would opt for the new lm motor pod however that was not even a glimmer in out eyes when that cf/aluminum pod was/is available.

how durable have you found that to be?

byebye
2007.10.22, 10:58 PM

i've read reviews of that pod before and the concensus seemed to be it wasn't worth the cost due to having proprietary parts needed if you broke the bottom plate for example. i would opt for the new lm motor pod however that was not even a glimmer in out eyes when that cf/aluminum pod was/is available.

I've since changed the wheels and tires back to stock. I now am running one car on an MR-01 and the other on the MR-015 stock chassis.

I'm quickly losing interest without my track at home.

Kris

HammerZ
2007.10.24, 04:33 AM

Yea, those special parts are a problem. The 3Racing site has the plates listed seperate. These are better in the long run to the stock mounts for sure. The CF plates I think are more durable (and about $2 cheaper) as these SSG plates flex and can crack if bent too far (about the same as the stock plate would flex). The little machine screws I would also like to find replacements for, as I just snapped the head off one of them. One thats used to tighten the motor down (you have three very short ones, two on the gear side with one on the other). Overall it is a good upgrade.

I have had bad luck with the plastic MM mounts. With that top motor clip it cracked the tray from the gear side across to the other side. That can be very bad for the gears I have to say.

arch2b
2007.10.24, 09:10 AM
that may be so with the existing mm motor pod however is you look the new mr-02 lm mm motor posd it incorporates alot of the characteristics which you like about the 3racing pod.

images from tim
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/images/carsandtrucks/minizracer/30441KR-B-03.jpg
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/images/carsandtrucks/minizracer/30441KR-B-02.jpg

HammerZ
2007.10.24, 10:17 AM
Exactly, the threads I was looking at.

I guess the tire issue came from looking at those stadium trucks years ago. Those where nothing more than buggies with truck tires slapped on. All the difference was in the tires from it being a truck or buggy. The bodies was a kinda sorta truck like body.

Sinister_Y
2007.10.24, 01:37 PM
Regarding the motor mount discussion...I ordered about 10 PN Nascar motor mounts for the club and was using the PN nascar mount in my own car. It works great. I am using the stock MM t-plate right now. I also have some stickers and new flexi-plates on order from mininascar site.

I will provide some pics and feedback after my 1st nascar event this Sunday. I hope to have the prototype banking kit to show as well from my friend's company.

marc
2007.10.26, 06:09 PM
Wow, ten each huh? I hope you get your money back from club racing! :)

hilldebrandt
2008.10.20, 07:49 PM
Since it's been almost a year since anyone last posted in this thread, I'm assuming you all lost interest in the NASCAR mini-z's ??

byebye
2008.10.20, 11:20 PM
Since it's been almost a year since anyone last posted in this thread, I'm assuming you all lost interest in the NASCAR mini-z's ??

Yeah I did. I had an oval but the tires for them sucked. Then the upgrade tires weren't that great either. So we broke the track down to circuit and just ran the racers.

Kris

flat 4
2008.10.21, 12:13 AM
My Monte has turn'd in to a M3GTR with what mods to make handle not so NASCAR. We'll who it dose next week!?

wcrotty
2008.10.22, 09:58 AM
We race them all the time up here in NH...... one of the funnest classes we run.

hrdrvr
2008.10.22, 10:25 AM
^ Same here. Box stock motors and ESCs really make for some tight racing :D

2EZ
2008.10.22, 10:34 AM
We set the track up so as the outside is a large oval and they are great fun very evenly matched amost stock NASCAR's

flat 4
2008.10.22, 10:18 PM
we dont really have a NASCAR friendly track we have try'd to do ovals but just not for us at the hobbie shop. still a bunch of fun guys to race with

paul_england
2008.10.24, 10:56 AM
why does everyone like NASCAR so much anyway? its like formula one but with massive cars and you just go round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round forever lol? im just wondering what makes it so apealing to you American people. no offence intended to people just confused hah :confused:

paul_england
2008.10.24, 11:01 AM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5Eb3Sf6Kf1I

hahaha this video answers my question.

hilldebrandt
2008.10.25, 08:25 AM
Paul,
Nascar got it's start racing on the small dirt and asphalt ovals that are prevaliant in the US, unlike in the UK and Europe, which is primarily road course racing. Americans have always done things different !
Nascar represents the pinnacle of stock car racing, the highest extension of the grass roots stock car racing that goes on across the country.

Heck, in Pennsylvania alone there are 61 auto racing facilities, with over 50 of them being small ovals ranging from a quarter-mile to a half-mile length.
And most of them are dirt (clay) !
You can laugh at why we like cars going round and round in circles...I can understand...but until you actually see a race up close and in person, you might change your opinion. To watch a dirt modified or sprint car go flying into the turns, sometimes 3 and 4 wide, completely sideways (like drifting)...is absolutely awesome !:D

hrdrvr
2008.10.26, 01:31 PM
I dont neccesarily like watching NASCAR, but I do love close racing, and thats what that class brings us. I like running F1 as well as the other classes, but racing in a cirlce keeps every one very tight and together all the time. It makes carry speed and good lines VERY important with every one under the same power.

arch2b
2008.10.26, 01:39 PM
why does everyone like NASCAR so much anyway? its like formula one but with massive cars and you just go round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round forever lol? im just wondering what makes it so apealing to you American people. no offence intended to people just confused hah :confused:

not ALL americans love nascar, but it may pick up some more fans with the additional road courses added. these are the ONLY ones i watch and frankly, i find it hilarious to see them run road course in comparison to any gt/lemans series events. in it's current form, nascar is silly to me. it was actually more appealing to me in the vintage days when car choice actually ment something more than stickers on a generic body shell. nascar has it's fans, that can not be denied. it's just racing to the lowest denominator to me.

chuckyluv
2008.10.28, 01:47 PM
my rant!! growing up in Dover De. first job working the nascar races,attending them for 20 plus years and than moving to Fl and working 24 hour race and still attending NASCAR I agree with aRch2b.... it is not the same now as it was then!!!! the money spent to run below the POINTS BATTLE is senseless. Also the Tv ability to show close racing in oval format makes the sport more likeable to new race fans. Once someone attends DIRT track racing in the northeast PA DE NJ NY they will soon become dirt nuts and wonder why the corporate $$$$$ is in the Big Series and the local business money is at the friday/saturday night events.. big races/ big money big teams and boom competetion is for 12 spots but 43 show up to make a race.... they have lost so many converts to other forms of racing and are trying anyting to make a fan stay a fan...why do NAscar drivers own other racing venues and business not related to their main source of income???? Cause they are into racing and the chance see fans coming to and and buying their service or product but with the same interest not spending the silly money to keep race fans coming back!!!!!!!!!!

byebye
2008.10.29, 07:10 AM
Camio appearance by chuckyluv!

Kris

Dusty Weasle
2008.10.30, 01:28 AM
Funny thing, when I first got into R/C I was looking for NASCAR (1:10 scale was wildly expensive for my tastes) when I found Mini-Z's. As a result I got into sports car racing but looked forward to the Stock Cars being released. However when Kyosho finally did, there were few option parts and severely limited tire choices. It was clear there would be little support, so I saved my money and stuck with GT and F1 classes.

I've since become primarily a Formula 1 fan. The race format is perfect. Usually once ever two weeks and never more than two hours. Even qualifying is exciting. I still watch NASCAR but fast>forward through large chunks. The races are just too long and every week the time commitment is too much. As it is it takes me about three to four days to watch the race.

Paul... c'mon man... Cricket. That takes, like, a week to play. But while I was in England that's what was constantly on TV (that and Big Brother... and Football... followed by all night Big Brother). :p

(Note my tag line below. That is my explanation of NASCAR. :D The car is doing its damnedest to go straight into the wall. The skill of the driver finesses the car left.)

paul_england
2008.11.08, 02:31 PM
i neither like cricket or baseball haha
although at least cricketers dont dress like fools :p.

+ f1 is guarenteed to be better, as nascar is less exciting than going to the dentist.

hmm...just maybe, they put the drivers on a circular track and tell them the first to get to the corner wins..? -.o