PDA

View Full Version : Alloy tie rod install?

hpgod
2007.11.05, 09:03 AM
What is the trick to installing the alloy tie rod on the f1 without breaking the outside ear/guides on the chassis. I have used the plastic ones to date and you could bow them to get them on without and issue. With the ears broken I see some slop now in the steering rack.

ruf
2007.11.05, 01:42 PM
You kind of have to work it in carefully. I've broken my fair share. Use the Atomic replacement mount if you break them.

Cherub1m
2007.11.06, 08:16 AM
Hi hpgod

You have to remove both front tires(optional), front knuckles and tie rod mount. That makes it easier to install. If you leave any of the knuckles on, one side will be easier but the other will be hard.

Good Luck
Cherub1m

hpgod
2007.11.12, 06:44 AM
I ended up getting the atomic mount from the shop here last week. What A POS design on it, all the tolerances are off on it. It totally bound up the steering . I Ended up having to sand it down in 4 places to get it back to free again.
1) Outer guide on just 1 arm had a raised bump of ~ 1 mm high 3-4 mm long on it
2) Height on the guide area was too shallow.I would install the bumper and it would seize.
3) The clear chaiss bumper had a rigid along the out edge. The arm height here was too thick. Hit a rail and it would seize.
4) The servo arm area was not the same size as the kyosho mount. At full lock the center of the steering rod would seize on the mount.

So after 20 times of taking the mount on and off and testing on the track The mount is now usable:)

Hope this info helps

ruf
2007.11.13, 01:14 PM
Yikes! Sorry to hear about that, especially with a reputable name like Atomic. Just goes to show that every company has home runs and strike outs...

RussF
2008.04.15, 11:23 AM
When I bought my F1 the plastic thingies were broken off. I thought about buying the Atomic part to fix it but I tried something first. I made my own tabs out of hot glue. It worked pretty good so far. Check out this thread at SLMZ for pics. (http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/forum/index.php?topic=137.0)

PridgeoK
2008.06.09, 12:48 AM
I ended up getting the atomic mount from the shop here last week. What A POS design on it, all the tolerances are off on it. It totally bound up the steering . I Ended up having to sand it down in 4 places to get it back to free again.
1) Outer guide on just 1 arm had a raised bump of ~ 1 mm high 3-4 mm long on it
2) Height on the guide area was too shallow.I would install the bumper and it would seize.
3) The clear chaiss bumper had a rigid along the out edge. The arm height here was too thick. Hit a rail and it would seize.
4) The servo arm area was not the same size as the kyosho mount. At full lock the center of the steering rod would seize on the mount.

So after 20 times of taking the mount on and off and testing on the track The mount is now usable:)

Hope this info helps

This does help! I just got a pair of these and am experiencing the same symptoms --> seizing the steering on a hard turn, not even hitting a rail. I initially thought it was some sort of interference, but I can replicate it with the power off and stressing the wheels in either direction.

I'm ripping these off and checking them out now!

Thanks for the post,

Kevin.

Dusty Weasle
2008.06.09, 01:36 AM
I had similar trouble recently when I installed an Atomic Aluminum Tie Rod and the Aluminum Tie Rod Mount. The steering would jam full lock if I so much as sniffed the wall, and it didn't do that before the “upgrade”.

I noticed the little U bracket that goes over the servo appeared to be just a hint more shallow than the plastic one so I thought maybe it was jumping off the servo. (I also notice the holes for the Knuckles were wider making for sloppy steering and about an extra degree of random Toe... I'm not impressed, Atomic).

I switched back to the plastic Tie Rod but it still locked. After a frustrating and desperate attempt to get my car ready for the race I figured out the new Tie Rod Mount was screwed on just a tick too loose allowing the Tie Rod to jump out. It is also possible to screw it in a tick too tight causing the steering to be sluggish or unresponsive.

As of the last race my car ran fine with that adjustment (and I retained the points lead). So that's one possible solution, try adjusting how tightly the Mount is screwed in.