PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Standard BB = HFAY Motor

Jonny
2007.11.12, 01:21 PM
I have just taken delivery of a new Atomic Standard motor, now being produced with a BB can and pre installed motor wires, which makes them off of the shelf HFAY motors does it not..?

The Atomic designation is AR-076-BB.

Jonny

arch2b
2007.11.12, 01:26 PM
:o funny how we ask for a spec built, off the shelf parts motor and they turn around and sell it main stream isn't it?

i would assume yes however don't hold me to that as they could have made any number of tweaks or done nothing at all.

what was the cost btw? i'll be miffed to say the least if they undercut us on what they made/sold to us.

mini-z
2007.11.12, 01:55 PM
Jonny, have you had a chance to open one up yet? I want to stress that we should be sure not to make any assumptions, and, make sure that no one be mislead into believing that these are in any way HFAY legal. :)

Jonny
2007.11.12, 02:01 PM
:o funny how we ask for a spec built, off the shelf parts motor and they turn around and sell it main stream isn't it?

i would assume yes however don't hold me to that as they could have made any number of tweaks or done nothing at all.

what was the cost btw? i'll be miffed to say the least if they undercut us on what they made/sold to us.
I believe from spec, a break in test and track test that these are the same motor. I must say the motor was within tolerances how you'd expect and drew 0.6a on a motor master - a large difference in production quality than the 15 HFAY produced motors which our club purchased :mad: I paid $15.80 exactly..

Jonny

Jonny
2007.11.12, 02:03 PM
Jonny, have you had a chance to open one up yet? I want to stress that we should be sure not to make any assumptions, and, make sure that no one be mislead into believing that these are in any way HFAY legal. :)
The HFAY motor was an Atomic Standard into a BB ATM can wasn't it?

Jonny

mini-z
2007.11.12, 02:31 PM
I believe from spec, a break in test and track test that these are the same motor. I must say the motor was within tolerances how you'd expect and drew 0.6a on a motor master - a large difference in production quality than the 15 HFAY produced motors which our club purchased :mad: I paid $15.80 exactly..

Jonny

J, in order to make a fair comparison, do you also have 15 of these Atomic-badged motors which you've tested? Just to make sure it's completely clear, Atomic made the HFAY motors, so there's no reason to expect that if this is identical spec, it's not subject to the same variations, or even that it's not from the exact same production batch. I'll get in touch w/ them and see what facts I can get my hands on before we allow to much speculation. :)

mini-z
2007.11.12, 02:37 PM
The HFAY motor was an Atomic Standard into a BB ATM can wasn't it?

Jonny

Yep, plus a few other little things such as the pre-installed wires and terminals that Atomic did not typically include in the past. What I meant was, there's no reason to think that it's HFAY legal regardless of spec. The approved motors are those which HFAY had Atomic produce - whether this motor (if it is identical) is legal will be a matter for the judges. :)

Jonny
2007.11.12, 03:13 PM
I'll leave it with you but we had our motor guy spend a load of time sorting the HFAY motors for us. 'Variation' I don't think is the right term. All I know is that out of the packet, this BB Standard was fine with bearings seated properly, spacing of the arm being fine and under test it performed as we'd all expect.

Of course, a decision must be made for HFAY use but I can't see any reason not to allow it if this is the same arm/can combination.

Perhaps someone else will look into this particular motor off the shelf and give their opinions.

Jonny

mini-z
2007.11.12, 03:38 PM
Yep, I just meant, I should be able to obtain actual facts from Atomic fairly easily, so, let's wait for those rather than everyone speculating and potentially causing significant damage. I've already emailed them, so hopefully we'll have some definitive answers soon. :)

Jonny
2007.11.12, 03:54 PM
Great stuff, thanks D.

Jonny