PDA

View Full Version : Sruk Forums Down

Jonny
2007.11.16, 06:08 AM
As most of you likely know, SRUK Forums are currently down. At the moment Tom is having troubles restoring it with methods which would normally be a simple task, so everything that we'd contributed there is lost atm :( I'm not ready to give up on it yet and start anew, so I just wanted to draw everyone's attention here to our Club Section for any discussions in the meantime.

Don't be a stranger ;)

Jonny

mk2kompressor
2007.11.16, 07:22 AM
:(
hopefully all is not lost :eek:
we still need to sort a date for the dec gtg....

Jonny
2007.11.16, 07:50 AM
Correct! However, I don't remember having had any replies to my Dec thread on SRUK before it went down..I guessed people just weren't coming ;)

It's looking like the date for us is 30th December for a startoff. This seems the best for Brian too. It's late in the month I know :eek:

Jonny

mk2kompressor
2007.11.16, 07:58 AM
30th is fine for me,ill check with nobby :)

lsarccc
2007.11.16, 01:32 PM
Hi if Tom has any kind of a back up and the problem is just getting the forum to work after the restore - I might be able to throw some code together and help push the posts into a new forum.

(30th is doable for me)

Jonny
2007.11.16, 05:28 PM
Arthur, I sincerely thank you for your offer! I will certainly pass this onto Tom if he hasn't already seen this post.

I know he had a complete site backup and I had a backup of the content but it seems neither will restore.

He'd suggested starting a new forum but I really don't want to lose everything we've built if at all possible!

I'll be in touch and thanks again,

Glad 30th is good for you, looking good for that date.

Jonny

mk2kompressor
2007.11.16, 06:13 PM
we really dont wanna loose all those posts :(
i hope it can be sorted....

lsarccc
2007.11.17, 03:21 AM
It might work well for me too, I'd ask permission to lift some of the best n00b help and how to posts and inject them into locked threads on my forum with a link back to the Sruk thread. These perennial questions have been asked and answered over there already will no doubt be asked again on my forum, so if I can pinch that it means my forum will reach that maturity quicker and look busier and be more useful.

Have a think if you'd be happy to do that... :o

Jonny
2007.11.17, 04:37 AM
Arthur, I'd be happy that any information of use on the SRUK forum be used by you, I'm sure I can speak for everybody that we're here to help and our guys wouldn't mind being of reference. However, how much important information is on there I don't know... :p :D I there's particular queries though, just get in touch.

Jonny

Programmers
2007.11.17, 11:01 AM
As most of you likely know, SRUK Forums are currently down. At the moment Tom is having troubles restoring it with methods which would normally be a simple task

I loved your choice of wording, Jonny. If you wanna have a go yourself, be my guest.

The chosen software is crap. The advice they're giving me SHOULD work and has worked in the past when I've previously dealt with MySQL. So I don't understand why it's not now.

I've been in touch with my admin to see if it's anything on their end and they told me they would investigate it on Monday.

Arthur, anything you can do would be great.

You know my email address, right?

Programmers
2007.11.17, 11:04 AM
Also! My idea of a new forum was NOT to sacrifice the old threads but to convert them. I'm still looking into this as the only software I've found is still in production but I've heard things like this being done in the past.

Jonny
2007.11.17, 11:47 AM
Tom, you are taking things out of context. You yourself said in your second line that things that SHOULD work haven't, which is simply what I was saying.

I don't take kindly to your opening comment, especially in the light of what i've ALWAYS told you, let alone just 1 or 2 days ago - If you are having hassles or don't want to continue with it - let me know and I'll sort it. Arthur will also attest to me saying that to him also I'm sure.

I'll invite you to contact me privately with your phone number or ring me on mine and we'll have a little chat over the phone. You know how to get in touch in any case.

I'm working until 11pm tonight but will be around after that and all day tomorrow.

Jonny

Programmers
2007.11.17, 06:07 PM
Yeah Jonny, got your email. Responded with the time I'll call you.

lsarccc
2007.11.19, 07:20 AM
Hey Tom - I don't want to stick my nose in, be great if you can resolve the forum issue.

If you can find a new forum software that you're happy with and they have an import routine for your old forum content great, if not and you've exhausted the other options I'd be happy to write a little import routine to get the posts across.

I went with Fireboard because it integrates with Joomla - and I choose Joomla because I didn't have much time and I wanted an established cms that will let me allow authors to write new articles to the site (the fact it's free helped too). To be honest I don't rate Fireboard as the greatest forum but at least the development team is still very active. I've administered an Invision board and I found that was pretty good - worth buying even, I'd be interested in which way you go and the thinking behind the choice.

Jonny
2007.11.19, 07:45 AM
Arthur, E-Mail on it's way re: Forum.

Jonny

Programmers
2007.11.19, 05:57 PM
Myself and Matt moderate a Invision board too - fantastic software, shame it's not free though.

I think Jonny is currently looking into some new software, I think.

I know SMF is compatible - not a bad piece of kit too.

lsarccc
2007.11.25, 05:33 AM
Yes, SMF would get my vote - I was seriously looking at that, it is compatible with Joomla via a bridge, but I felt Fireboard would be easier to integrate with the transparent design of my site. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to get it sorted recently. The forum is starting to look good in Firefox but the transparencies don't come out right in Explorer.

chilau
2007.11.25, 05:06 PM
Hi

I was thinking of coming down to your next event, when is this planned for ?
, also what is the most common class that people race stock/open.
I currently have 2 mr02's one in a stock state and one in the open class.

Programmers
2007.11.26, 05:23 AM
The next meeting is scheduled for the 30th of December at the moment!

Our normal day layout is open class all day, before we switch over to the HFAY at around 6/7.

However, we all made sure we ran our HFAY last month so this month we plan on having an endurance for the day.

Nickblackdragon
2007.11.26, 06:42 AM
i failed my driving test for SMM'ing instead of MSM'ing...so maybe after the 10/1/08 ill be able to come.

Jonny
2007.11.26, 08:26 AM
Hi

I was thinking of coming down to your next event, when is this planned for ?
, also what is the most common class that people race stock/open.
I currently have 2 mr02's one in a stock state and one in the open class.

i failed my driving test for SMM'ing instead of MSM'ing...so maybe after the 10/1/08 ill be able to come.

It would be nice to have some new drivers attend again this month.

Chilau, where do you come from? Do you race with a club currently, what's your experience with the Mini Z?

@NBD, I know you have said you'd try to make it in the past and it would certainly be easier once you have a licence and your own car (or perhaps even a loaner!) Hope all goes well on your next test.

Yes the 30th is looking the likely date pending venue availability, however not all members have replied yet with their own availability. We will have to go with the majority that can attend this time around I believe, as it' a difficult month to schedule for some.

Check back here for updates.

Jonny

chilau
2007.11.26, 03:54 PM
Hi

I would be coming from London, not currently in a club as they seem to be vary scarce in the uk for mini z's. I have a couple of friends with a homebuilt EVA tile track which we use at the moment with a laser lapcounter.
We can just about manage to squeeze 45 60x60 tile track into one room.

I raced 1/10 IC touring cars for about 2 seasons but found it took to much time and expense testing etc to be competitive so I'd though I would give these a go.
What laptiming system do you guys use as I am looking to get a I lap system as I am always getting missed laps and other errors with the current laser setup.

chilau
2007.11.26, 03:55 PM
30th sounds good at the moment.

Jonny
2007.11.26, 06:11 PM
Hi

I would be coming from London, not currently in a club as they seem to be vary scarce in the uk for mini z's. I have a couple of friends with a homebuilt EVA tile track which we use at the moment with a laser lapcounter.
We can just about manage to squeeze 45 60x60 tile track into one room.

I raced 1/10 IC touring cars for about 2 seasons but found it took to much time and expense testing etc to be competitive so I'd though I would give these a go.
What laptiming system do you guys use as I am looking to get a I lap system as I am always getting missed laps and other errors with the current laser setup.
Hi again, so you're quite near where I live then! (Westcliff on Sea, Essex) I hear you with the larger scale thing and I reckon the Z's will fill that gap nicely. Many members here have the same thoughts as you on that front. We run Core Speedway at the club and I also have the same system here at home. It uses RFID tags for the transponder and an under track loop for receiving. You can store information about the driver and car for each tag also. It's a nice system to use.

Hope to see you on the 30th, any queries let me know.

Jonny

Neomax
2007.11.27, 08:29 AM
Hey Guys, now i know where we are i'll keep my eyes open here, cant talk now though, just on my lunch break...
Laters...

Neomax
2007.11.27, 01:43 PM
Righty then, got a bit of time to stop, but only a bit, feel like a bloody taxi service today :(
Right then, not sure i can make the Dec meet, which is really bad news :mad: but i think i'm going to end up being away on the 30th so i dont think i'll be there. Really needed to get sorted for Germany :(:(:(
Havent really looked on this forum yet to see whats here with regards to Germany, but i'll go and look now, what is the current news on that can anyone update me?

575racer
2007.11.28, 11:41 AM
i can come, i might be a bit late im coming up from my dads place in somerset, hopefully the traffic isnt too bad :S
thnx, lee

mk2kompressor
2007.11.28, 01:16 PM
have you been before lee ;)

575racer
2007.11.28, 02:25 PM
omg!!! lol its mini-z guy off xmf, fxxdriver off the normal forum..... lmao
i only need a light kit and im sorted for the next meet.
also i should be able to bring my new overland im hopefully getting for xmas

mk2kompressor
2007.11.28, 02:57 PM
i was kidding lmao
get it soldered up dude,the night race is gonne be fun :D

chilau
2007.11.28, 06:35 PM
Hi

What type of meeting r u guys holding on the 30th, what will I need to bring?

mk2kompressor
2007.11.28, 08:02 PM
we are going to be running a 2hr endurance including a night stage(no lights no race)
and probably a few other shorter races in between :)

Neomax
2007.11.29, 07:10 AM
So no news on the Germany front then? it only being like 4 weeks away an'all?!?

575racer
2007.11.29, 10:46 AM
matt i heared it was 6 hours?

mk2kompressor
2007.11.29, 11:02 AM
mal,i need to catch you on msn,there has been some changes to the teams for germany :)

6hrs :eek:we are doing teams of 2 i think :confused:

575racer
2007.11.29, 12:21 PM
yeah, i heard brian say something about it to someone, and he said teams of 2 or maybe 3:S

Jonny
2007.11.29, 12:31 PM
FYI - regarding the endurance race, it WON'T be 6 hours! Most likely half that.

Jonny

575racer
2007.11.29, 12:56 PM
ah thats good, i loose concentration on most things after 10 minutes :eek: 1 hour in the dark was it?

mk2kompressor
2007.11.29, 12:57 PM
i believe so :)

Jonny
2007.11.29, 01:07 PM
ah thats good, i loose concentration on most things after 10 minutes :eek: 1 hour in the dark was it?
Yes indeed, right in the middle of the session ;)

Jonny

lsarccc
2007.12.04, 03:01 PM
Hi Jonny - the promised pre Christmas buying blitz has started, I got 3 of the MAHA chargers, a RM Readyset, a new AWD car and various other things like tyres, disk damper and SAS etc.

Anyway - I'm hoping to get it all together for the 30th. The only angle I haven't covered is lights. I'm OK with fitting LEDs in the shells - should I just go ahead and fit the LEDs or is there some hidden pitfall?

(offer of help with the forum is still on - I don't want to poke my nose in where it's not wanted, but just ask if there's anything I can help with)

575racer
2007.12.04, 03:14 PM
umm.... im making my light kit run off a 3v lithium battery, using three white ultrabright leds. i dont have everything i need yet :(

mk2kompressor
2007.12.04, 04:11 PM
Hi Jonny - the promised pre Christmas buying blitz has started, I got 3 of the MAHA chargers, a RM Readyset, a new AWD car and various other things like tyres, disk damper and SAS etc.

Anyway - I'm hoping to get it all together for the 30th. The only angle I haven't covered is lights. I'm OK with fitting LEDs in the shells - should I just go ahead and fit the LEDs or is there some hidden pitfall?

(offer of help with the forum is still on - I don't want to poke my nose in where it's not wanted, but just ask if there's anything I can help with)

you have been spending!!!
i do want one of the iw's still,ill have the cash on the 30th :D
if you need any help with the awd let me know,ive got the droop setting kit for the sas now too :)

Jonny
2007.12.04, 04:27 PM

Hi Arthur - That's quite some spend there! I'm impressed ;) 3 Maha's eh?!

Grab your LED's from Maplin with the correct voltage ratings, various ways of wiring and running the power for them but anything specific, give me a shout.

I've been sorting various things here and haven't progressed further with sorting the forums, just providing an update for the main page. I haven't forgotten your offer, I noticed you'd been busy having read your recent posts but I will certainly contact you soon if that's ok.

Hope you'll be on schedule for the 30th :cool:

Jonny

Neomax
2007.12.04, 05:45 PM
HEy jonny, i've joined the other forum, but i need granting access to post and read threads please :)

lsarccc
2007.12.05, 02:06 AM
Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'll have my act together by the 30th. The odd questions might pop up for you guys though!

I went for RM because of something you said to me Jonny, very happy with that choice but looking at the shell I'm not sure I want to trash it straight away with my n00b antics on the track. I have the pn v2 mid motor mount coming - I assume that it won't be too much trouble to set it up with my Firelap Enzo shell to practice with?

Cheers Matt I'll bring a few down - hopefully you'll have seen the threads on the speed of the servo - I think I said to you that I didn't think it was that big a deal (based on my experience with the prototype version), but now I have had the 02M on the track... it is a big deal so factor in the cost of a new servo if you are serious about racing it!

mk2kompressor
2007.12.05, 03:20 AM
i just want to fiddle with it a little;)

i can lend you an rm body if you dont wanna run an enzo on rm no probs :)

Jonny
2007.12.05, 04:18 AM
Thanks, I'm pretty sure I'll have my act together by the 30th. The odd questions might pop up for you guys though!

I went for RM because of something you said to me Jonny, very happy with that choice but looking at the shell I'm not sure I want to trash it straight away with my n00b antics on the track. I have the pn v2 mid motor mount coming - I assume that it won't be too much trouble to set it up with my Firelap Enzo shell to practice with?
No problem any questions, fire away!

As to the change of body, just an h plate swap along with your new motor mount and you'll be good to go. The Enzo offset is a +1 front wheel, +3 rear wheel, let me know if you don't have those and you can use some of my wheels. That's if you don't decide to take Matt up on his offer :cool:

Jonny

lsarccc
2007.12.05, 05:00 AM
Very cool guys - much appreciated.

3 MAHAs - for me and my two sons and all of the club cars - hmmm maybe I need more? :rolleyes: I've had a bonus from work for finishing a project on time, I had planned to put 1K of it into a 1/8th rallyx buggy setup for next year (we have two big clubs very near where I live). Now I've changed my mind and gone to the smaller cars and I'm finding 1K in GBP goes a long long way especially being spent in USD :D You might recall a comment Jeremy Clarkson made on Top Gear about the state of the USD - I wouldn't repeat it here on a US forum though...!

Thanks again for the offers of help. Just simple things like not knowing the right off sets for a shell can make it a minefield getting into the hobby. I don't yet know what I need that I can't get in time for the 30th but it's good to know people will help me out - it's what the hobby is about isn't it.

Jonny
2007.12.05, 05:17 AM
Very cool guys - much appreciated.

3 MAHAs - for me and my two sons and all of the club cars - hmmm maybe I need more? :rolleyes: I've had a bonus from work for finishing a project on time, I had planned to put 1K of it into a 1/8th rallyx buggy setup for next year (we have two big clubs very near where I live). Now I've changed my mind and gone to the smaller cars and I'm finding 1K in GBP goes a long long way especially being spent in USD :D You might recall a comment Jeremy Clarkson made on Top Gear about the state of the USD - I wouldn't repeat it here on a US forum though...!

Thanks again for the offers of help. Just simple things like not knowing the right off sets for a shell can make it a minefield getting into the hobby. I don't yet know what I need that I can't get in time for the 30th but it's good to know people will help me out - it's what the hobby is about isn't it.
I like what I hear Arthur and you are certainly right about the distance that sort of money goes for a small scale racing club, along with the conversion! ;)

As you know, all of us at Stafford Racers are willing to help out in any way and I hope continuing to work together will only make the scene become stronger for all things 1/28th (ish!)

Jonny

lsarccc
2007.12.06, 06:41 AM
Yes I think it's a good time to raise the profile of the smaller scale in the UK a notch - the micro buggies are doing well, so why not the mini-z size on-road cars!

Jonny
2007.12.06, 07:48 AM
Yes I think it's a good time to raise the profile of the smaller scale in the UK a notch - the micro buggies are doing well, so why not the mini-z size on-road cars!
A, I sent you an E-Mail last night - let me know if you haven't received one, thanks.

Jonny

arch2b
2007.12.06, 07:58 AM
You might recall a comment Jeremy Clarkson made on Top Gear about the state of the USD - I wouldn't repeat it here on a US forum though...!

not all of us are touchy:) i certainly apprecaite good humour as much as the next person and the guys at top gear haev some very amusing points of view about america (based on thier road trip episode) :p . afterall, we are a VERY international forum that just happens to be hosted in the u.s. :p

lsarccc
2007.12.06, 01:05 PM
Hi Jonny - I'm just sat at work 'enjoying' a kebab - I'll give you a call in a while when I've recovered :eek:

Arch - Well I moderated my post in respect of the few Americans that are both touchy and gun toting... definately a great thing to take part in an international community :cool: - thanks for what you do here btw.

Jonny
2007.12.06, 03:58 PM
Hi Jonny - I'm just sat at work 'enjoying' a kebab - I'll give you a call in a while when I've recovered :eek:

I've only just seen your post Arthur :D Again, thanks very much for calling, I sincerely appreciate your help.

Jonny

575racer
2007.12.07, 01:50 PM
just wanted to know if when the new forum is working if i could get my forum name changed- lol the fxx is a brick sittting in my garage that hasnt seen light for months, will finish it someday but i think my name is a bit strange because i dont have one :mad:

Jonny
2007.12.07, 05:37 PM
just wanted to know if when the new forum is working if i could get my forum name changed- lol the fxx is a brick sittting in my garage that hasnt seen light for months, will finish it someday but i think my name is a bit strange because i dont have one :mad:
Well I'm sure I can arrange that. Next HFAY season, you'll have to start with your new one too.

Jonny

575racer
2007.12.08, 05:04 AM
ok thanks :D