PDA

View Full Version : PN Racing Ceramic Ball Diff

Spoon
2007.11.19, 09:09 AM
I picked up a PN ball diff for my MR015.
http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3290

and I had a few issues with it.

First, I couldn't get any bearing to slide all the way down the shaft without sanding it. I tired a PN bearing, MZR dry bearing and AtomicMods ceramic bearing. None of them fit. They would get just past the notch for the grub screw and that was it. I put the shaft in my dremel and sanded it down a bit, then it worked fine.

The other issue that I have is that the threaded piece that backs up against the o ring doesn't seem to be sitting flush with the o-ring. I'll have to look closer and take a pic but it seems that the gap between the threaded piece and the pressure ring is different on one side vs the other.

I haven't really had a chance to race with it yet, just a few practice laps. We'll see if any of this affects performance.

Red Team
2007.11.19, 11:29 AM
Hi..I just ordered this diff. few minutes before your post, so I'm looking forward for other people opinion about it...may be I have time to cancel the order ;)

Blackno3
2007.11.19, 01:26 PM
One bad diff can happen with any manufacturer he should have just sent it back for a replacement. Now if multiple people start complaining when thatís a different story. Defects happen with all manufacturers and some bad parts slip through you just need to give them a chance to correct the problem.

yasuji
2007.11.19, 02:24 PM
I picked up a PN ball diff for my MR015.
http://www.rckenon.com/public_html/shop2/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3290

and I had a few issues with it.

First, I couldn't get any bearing to slide all the way down the shaft without sanding it. I tired a PN bearing, MZR dry bearing and AtomicMods ceramic bearing. None of them fit. They would get just past the notch for the grub screw and that was it. I put the shaft in my dremel and sanded it down a bit, then it worked fine.

The other issue that I have is that the threaded piece that backs up against the o ring doesn't seem to be sitting flush with the o-ring. I'll have to look closer and take a pic but it seems that the gap between the threaded piece and the pressure ring is different on one side vs the other.

I haven't really had a chance to race with it yet, just a few practice laps. We'll see if any of this affects performance.

so far i have had 3 of these diffs 1 is flawless the second was exchanged for the third
one i exchanged for a replacement it had locked up on me during one of the heats
so i put in my old faithful pn ti ceramic ball diff
won the race but was a few tenths off pace
so i preped the third diff thru the week all seemed good
then in another heat it locked up again one of the guys said the shaft was bent so i took it all the way apart to find that the bearing on the rt outside the gear was bad i replaced it w/ a new one and now its all good

Felix2010
2008.01.29, 04:19 PM
Anybody else have any thoughts on this new PN Ball Diff with the ceramic balls? With PN's new 64-pitch gears coming out I have been thinking about buying a PN diff so I wouldn't have to modify my Kyosho Ball diff; Not because the mod of the Kyosho diff is hard or anything, just because I would like to use the Kyosho ball diff as-is and keep using it with the 44T spur gear for future comparison with PN's 64-pitch gears. :D