PDA

View Full Version : Our club new Iwavers 02M

Red Team
2007.11.24, 12:37 PM
Yesterday evening we finally had the chance to see the 02 M's on the track. We ordered 3 of those but so far we unpack only 2 of them. We mount the bearings and we just couldn't wait to make the upgrades that cherub1m suggested and we put them on the track just how they come....literally out of the box - with the exception of the bearings.
Just to say the essential: this cute cars exceed our expectations !
Our track it's a high grip carpet so even with stock tires, the Iwavers handled good enough but changing the rear tires with some soft one, the handling it's even more precise, stable and smooth.
Imagine changing the servo and making the mods of the cherub1m....the car should be awesome. We still have to figure out some of the settings of the Tx but we'll get there, step by step.

Personally I like the way the bodies are made, all in one piece, the mirrors are flexible so they can't break ;)...and overall the Saleen body looks great !

As far as the interference....today we were 4 Z's and 2 02M's and no interference at all...so one more reason to be very content about the choice we've made.

In a word...everybody it's happy with this cars, and we're looking forward to see the new upgraded 02M's coming out, so we can order more !

My internet connection it's so bad right now , so I just can't upload some of the pictures I made today..I'll try again later !

Sunday edit: this it's a clip with some of us at the track, Saturday morning...the yellow car it's the brand new Iwaver..I know we need practice :)

A race in Bucharest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_a8zHyQgGo)

And some pictures pf the cars:

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/6731/dsc00087yl8.th.jpg (http://img137.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00087yl8.jpg) http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5553/dsc00089bn5.th.jpg (http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00089bn5.jpg) http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/7717/dsc00091hq2.th.jpg (http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc00091hq2.jpg)

fangel
2007.11.26, 12:18 AM
hum...they all seems very good.
I'm glad that you lik e our product and had not run into any trouble with it.
I'm hopping that you all will expand into iwaver soon.

Cherub1m
2007.11.26, 01:05 AM
Hi Red Team

Carpet is such a high grip surface you should notice some great handling. On RCP track you will need to improve the rear traction by switching the motor stays around. Have fun!!!

Later
Cherub1m

lsarccc
2007.11.26, 07:58 AM
Hi Red Team, we hosted an event for 17 kids from a local youth group at our club recently. We had 6 of the older iWaver02 (very similar to the 02M, slightly different motor pod and 4 wire servo) club cars running and being crashed all night by the young novices :eek:

The cars were brilliant and stood upto the punishment really well, the only issue we had was with the servo savers but they have been improved greatly for the 02M. I have upgraded to 02M servo savers on some of the cars and that fixes the problem totally so I'm sure you won't see the problems we've had.

I agree they definately make an ideal tough club car. 6 02Ms have just arrived for me today and I look forward to having a couple of these new 02Ms as my own cars to set up for racing properly.

Our club also runs on carpet, like you I changed the rear tyres for softer compound. I also needed to turn the steering rate down to around 40%. I felt the steering servo was sufficiently fast on my track but when I ran on a narrower more challenging RCP track the steering felt too slow.

Pics of our carpet track here (http://lsarccc.com)

leonen
2007.11.26, 08:13 AM
Hi Red Team

Carpet is such a high grip surface you should notice some great handling. On RCP track you will need to improve the rear traction by switching the motor stays around. Have fun!!!

Later
Cherub1m

What do you mean by "motor stays"? ??

Red Team
2007.11.26, 09:55 AM
He explained more about these, on the other 2 threads, the one with set-up and the other one about racing.

So Cherub1m, we should consider ourself inspired when we choose carpet for our track :D

lsarccc, nice track you have out there...just curious...are you in England or UK Virgin Islands ?
I felt the same about the servo but because it's not my model - I own a Mini Z MR02, I let the people choose their favourite dials.
Now, I'm looking forward to see the upgraded version of Iwavers 02M back in stock again, so we can buy more :)

lsarccc
2007.11.26, 10:18 AM
UK as in England :) Carpet is so much cheaper, and RCP is so difficult to get here in the UK.

I have some better apex markers being made, which will make our track more appealing visually. Just adding the green parts to your track makes it look so much nicer. I also liked the video of your track - some very interesting things on the shelves in that room!

When I give the cars to newcomers, dialling the steering down is a must or else they won't have a good time with the car.

I've been experimenting with dremeling the chassis to provide more vertical flex and keeping the motor stays the way they are (using the standard plastic chassis), I may even get rid of the slotted stay and use two pivots with the chassis providing all of the vertical motion. I have a carbon chassis to play with and in that case the lack of flex might mean trying Cherub1ms swap the stays idea to get some decent pod movement. Lots to experiment with, looking forward to doing a lot of testing this week.

Red Team
2007.11.26, 11:29 AM
Regarding the material for the track, we have the same situation here in Romania, that's why we choosed carpet.

Our track green parts are also made of carpet, the same material as the track one, just different colour.

Regarding the shelves in our club, those are 1/8 or 1/10 old school bodies made by ourself long time ago, when we were kids and we couldn't buy ready made bodies from outside of the country. The kids these days, don't do this anymore...they're buying everything ready made.

Barely waiting to find out about your next Iwaver mods.

DO you have FireLap cars at your club ? How are those comparing with Iwavers ?

lsarccc
2007.11.26, 03:41 PM
I will look at getting some green carpet - it makes the difference.

Regarding the shelves in our club, those are 1/8 or 1/10 old school bodies made by ourself long time ago, when we were kids and we couldn't buy ready made bodies from outside of the country. The kids these days, don't do this anymore...they're buying everything ready made.

You're so right, it's a shame. I grew up as an aeromodeller - balsa wood, tissue and dope. I hope my sons and I will build many models over the years :) I have planned for a few years to build a small diy vacform machine to pull small parts and shells from but haven't got round to it yet.

I have tried the Firelap Nanoracer2 twice and I have had a mixed experience (one time it was fantastic, the other time it suffered interference) - I need to spend more time with it to give a proper opinion.

I'm just going to build up an 02M with some aluminium pieces and bearings ready for some serious track time later in the week :D

fangel
2007.11.26, 08:52 PM
Reading all these thread really is interesting.
it's great to hear that there are more general support for the iwaver 02M, but I did notice many common complain that the community have been talking about.
I would agree that more and more people buy ready set, I believe is that the more you buy, the less you would have interest in making your own.
I'm more of a hands on guys, so I build and mod things on my own.

NanoRacer have been receiving many many mixed experience, since I have heard many praise and comments about it, I really can't determine what to deal with it.

I'm looking forward to all of you improving and racing more and more seriously so we could get more community support for the iwaver brand.

Red Team
2007.11.27, 02:32 AM
You're so right, it's a shame. I grew up as an aeromodeller - balsa wood, tissue and dope. I hope my sons and I will build many models over the years :) I have planned for a few years to build a small diy vacform machine to pull small parts and shells from but haven't got round to it yet.
Ha...we actually build one vacuum machine many years ago and we made some car shells with it, winning some national contests with them.
It's a kind of odd, but in the communist times, these things were encouraged and helped us to develop some very good practical skills and to become the adults we are right now.
I remember when we've been in 1/10 RC European Competition 1991, first time after Iron Court went down, we had almost 100% hand made rc cars and everybody was amazed what we were capable to build. Ok, they not performed as the models of the guys on top, but we made them with our hands., making us very proud. They donate us some Lexan bodies - our were made of ABS plastic, and we were good to race LOL - what memories :)

I have tried the Firelap Nanoracer2 twice and I have had a mixed experience (one time it was fantastic, the other time it suffered interference) - I need to spend more time with it to give a proper opinion.
I was looking for Nanoracer2, but I thought the price difference from a 02M it's not much and I choose the 02M..may be I'll pick up a FireLap too ;)

I'm just going to build up an 02M with some aluminium pieces and bearings ready for some serious track time later in the week :D
As cheerub1 says, aluminum could add some weight to the car, but it's good for the look :)

Fangel, we are looking forward to see the 02M back in stock again !

lsarccc
2007.11.27, 08:13 AM
Red Team, I had it luckier than you, my father was a captain in the merchant navy and my mother is from Japan - so in the 70s and 80s I had access to UK, US and Japanese products - I had it good :D We raced 1/12th on polished wood floors in the UK then, using silicone bath caulk stippled onto neoprene tyres. Cars like the RC12e, Jomac Lightening and then the lexan monocoque chassis era (I made my own monocoque copy of the Neil Francis design) - through to Schumacher C car and the beginnings of carpet racing in the UK. (Then I 'grew up' :o for a while and stopped racing ...)

Last night I sat down with a new 02M and pretty much all of the aluminium and carbon upgrades iWaver offer. I played around for a while...

My goal was to see what bits I would add to a car to make it a solid club racer.

Naturally the ceramic bearings were a joy and they went on.

I liked the ball differential - I kept that on.

I liked the carbon top deck, but I couldn't see what it was really doing for me so I took that off.

The carbon chassis is too thick and rigid - I'd need to dedicate some time like Cherub1m has to get that to work for me so for now I didn't use that.

The aluminium motor stays and aluminium motor mount were OK. I had to move and resolder a motor capacitor to get the motor into the mount nicely. The motor pod and stays rub slightly too much, with some finishing I think they would work very well with no slop compared to the plastic stays. However, with the motor no longer sitting low and flat but on it's side and the additional weight of the aluminium I could not see a good reason for it - so the pod and stays were also taken off and put to one side.

The aluminium suspension spring holder bits were fitted (loosely), I liked the idea of being able to fiddle with the preload - but unlike my 1/10th car the collars are quite loose (perhaps too loose). I left them on my test car but I believe the original parts are good enough and simple spacers might be as good for adjusting the preload and getting the motor pod de-tweaked.

Now the servo - well I think the steering on the 02M is slower than the older 02 car (I need to compare properly side by side and on the track). Maybe the steering arms being that bit longer is not helping. The servos are different though.

I need to polish the kingpins and whilst I work on the front I'll investigate the steering further.

Overall - it's all good! the aluminium and carbon bits look great on the car and at the iWaver value pricing worth collecting. I'm just not sure I'd have them on a car I was racing at the moment - of course I'm saying that without much track time so my opinion is open to change.

@Edmond - it's good to have you here following these threads.

Cherub1m
2007.11.27, 12:23 PM
Hi Isarccc

when you have the time, try switching the motor stays around, with a little trimming of the motor mount and the rear motor stay (remenber it was the front motor stay). With the aluminium shocks you can easily adjust the preload of the the spring which will help keep the back end from dropping to much (a little droop is good).

Good Luck
Cherub1m

lsarccc
2007.11.27, 03:22 PM
Thanks - I read your setup thread and I'll definately be trying your ideas.

I also race the 1/12th Mardave chassis in the UK and the design of that is to have the motor pod pivot at the front and float at the back. This works really well and I can understand the benefit of swapping the stays and what you say about the droop. I want to try various other things before I start trimming everything though - do my own learning curve ;). Loads to play with :D

fangel
2007.11.27, 10:13 PM
I would like to personally thank you all that you all have interest with our product and are willing to do all kind of test and modification to it. I'll picking up news here and there so we could make some modification or even upgrade to the iwaver 02M chassis making it even more competitive.

Red Team
2007.12.10, 03:44 AM
This weekend at the track, two of our 02M's starts to be very close in performance to my MR02, but the guys need to get used with this chassis and I'm sure they will do and then I'll have to watch my back :) even if they still use the stock servo which on the carpet it's running great. Also no interference problems whatsoever.
The only thing it's the rod coming out out of the servo arm, now and then, I told them to close the loop and all your mods, hope they listen.

Anyway, we're definetelly looking for 02M upgraded version to come out and for sure we're looking on the other chasssis made by Iwaver !

PS - Ed, I sent you a mail regarding the test pilot program for your products.

fangel
2007.12.11, 12:27 AM
Thanks for all the information, I have been looking into how to develop the test pilot program, I'm really loose on some of the detail, and would need all the input I could get to get the program up and running.

Red Team
2007.12.15, 04:04 PM
Hello,

Today at the track out of 12 cars - 3 Z's, 3 Iwavers and 6 mods, the iwaver's came in 2nd and 5th places. One of the Iwaver doesn't have transponder so we couldn't have his time and laps. These were just the official timed session and tomorrow we'll have the qualification and finals. I'll keep you informed !

fangel
2007.12.17, 02:20 AM
hum...sounds really cool, maybe you could take some video of the racing and share it with the community. I believe many people would be interested with this.
Also could you provide some information of the racing condition? example: All stock? Full mod? Degree of mod done?
Since this show that the iwaver has reach the racing level of Mini-Z.
I'm excited to hear more.

Red Team
2007.12.17, 11:08 AM
I made a report of this race and I posted on the Events section. Here is the link:
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=283761#post283761

Hope you like it..don't hesitate to write your opinion !

fangel
2007.12.17, 10:18 PM
I have replied to your post, thank you again for organizing this race event and making some recording in both video and photo about it to share with the community.

It shows that iwaver 02M stock can race hand in hand with Mini-Z stock with no problem at all. The new 2008 iwaver 02M would be even better since it would allow the racer to fine tune the racing performance of the chassis.