PDA

View Full Version : steering adjuster

real_dvs
2002.05.10, 01:05 AM
I have noticed that when I place the steering trim at the middle dash line, my front wheels are really turned to a large degree. Now, when I correct this, my steering trim is turned nearly all-the-way to one side. What is causing this? And, is there a way to solve this? I should mention that my steering adjuster (below the steering wheel) is set for maximum turning radius.

:confused:

Russ
2002.05.10, 01:34 AM
You have 2 choices if you want to fix this, 1) poke through the sticker on the ESC cover and use a small flathead screwdriver to adjust the little filter on the speed control chip (VERY CAREFULLY!!!) or 2) unscrew the screw that holds the "steering wheel" to your transmitter, and stick a flathead screwdriver down in the hole and adjust the steering that way, while holding the wheel on the transmitter still of course.

Both of these should be performed with the steering trim set to the middle, and try to get as close as you can, then fine-tune it again w/ the trim on the transmitter.

I prefer way #2, but whatever you do be careful!!!

Hope this helps ;)

Draconious
2002.05.10, 03:25 AM
or 3... ;) if you take apart the servo... make sure the gears are centered when you re assembled it...

herman
2002.05.10, 05:22 AM
i do #2... it's the easiest...:D

real_dvs
2002.05.10, 10:37 PM
thanks a lot! your solution solved my problem...worked like a charm.

herman
2002.05.12, 09:28 PM
out of curiosity what method did you use?

Russ
2002.05.12, 10:33 PM
Does it matter where the gears are when you assemble the servo?? The first servo gear can only attatch to the potentiometer 1 way, and that is what tells the PCB to center the gears, so wouldn't they automatically be centered? the first gear is the only servo gear that has a limited motion, the other do can be put in whichever side facing up because they are the same all the way around. My servo has always centered itself after I put it back together, has yours not Drac??? Weird...

herman
2002.05.13, 02:39 AM
hmm i was thinking the same thing... it happened to me before, not knowing you can adjust the steering trim in the steering wheel and on the board... took apart and put back the servo gears almost half a dozen times... until i got the solution by accidentally turning the pot on the board.... even though i got it centered, the throw was off (it got more steering in one direction compared to the other).... thought that the board was fried, got another kit, and it turned out that my controller/transmitter was the problem... it was kinda expensive since it cost me another kit to find that one out...

but i'm happy since i got another working z... :D

Strider-
2002.05.13, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Russ
Does it matter where the gears are when you assemble the servo?? The first servo gear can only attatch to the potentiometer 1 way, and that is what tells the PCB to center the gears, so wouldn't they automatically be centered? the first gear is the only servo gear that has a limited motion, the other do can be put in whichever side facing up because they are the same all the way around. My servo has always centered itself after I put it back together, has yours not Drac??? Weird...

It position doesn't matter......as long as the 1st servo gear is attached to the potentiometer correctly it'll center itself....take the servo apart and look at the potentiometer and try turning it while the car is on and it'll be obvious how it works....

Draconious
2002.05.13, 08:16 PM
I was just thinking the nub on the gear in the slot, but I guess it dont matter, but there was some reason I insisted on centering them... likely just Z obsession. cant realy remember... guess it wasnt important. -- It had to do with how the pot worked, but I guess its not possible to put it in crooked if using the tape/paper to hold it in. Oh well if I remember why I thought it was imporantant I will post it...