PDA

View Full Version : Oil shocks different Front from Rear?

ProfoxCG
2007.12.17, 03:06 AM
do you know if the front shocks are different in length than the rears? why does kyosho have two different set? aren't they the same?

HammerZ
2007.12.17, 12:00 PM
Both are the same length, just the front ones have the little riser on the lower cup. I guess Kyosho designed that to keep it from flexing too far, and pulling out servo wires. Other than the riser on the front cup they are the same, just like your stock shocks are.

In this attachment, the top one is a front shock and the lower one is the rear.

ProfoxCG
2007.12.17, 01:37 PM
is that picture of a front and rear shock? they look the same to me.. can you mark the piece you are talking about?

ProfoxCG
2007.12.17, 01:56 PM
Is this correct?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/Profoxcg/OilFilledShocks-Overland.jpg

ruf
2007.12.17, 07:02 PM
Look at the bottom spring perch. Just under where you typed the "O" in "FRONT" you'll see that the yellow ball cup has more meat on the area that the shaft threads into. This limits the travel of the front shocks. The rears have a shorter threaded area on the ball cup which allows for more travel. You can see this area above the "E" you typed in "REAR". Aside from that the fronts and rears are identical.

ProfoxCG
2007.12.18, 12:34 AM
Well this is what I have... which based on the replies here, my set of oil shocks is a FRONT set? compared to the stock shock which seems to have a bigger "down stop"...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/Profoxcg/DSC04004.jpg

ruf
2007.12.18, 05:49 PM
That's correct. Do you have 2 of them or 4 of them? If you got stuck with 4, you can easily cut the stops down the appropriate length for rears.

ProfoxCG
2007.12.18, 05:54 PM
I only have 2.. however the down stop of the stock shock is much higher right?

ruf
2007.12.18, 07:55 PM
Yes, but not really. :p While the downstop of the stock shock is higher, the stock shock body is also higher. Look at the area of exposed shaft. That will determine your stroke length, and they appear very similar between the stock shock and the oil shocks.

BTW, you will love the Kyosho oil shocks. They kick a$$, especially for handling jumps and drops. :D

ProfoxCG
2007.12.18, 11:40 PM
Yes, but not really. :p While the downstop of the stock shock is higher, the stock shock body is also higher. Look at the area of exposed shaft. That will determine your stroke length, and they appear very similar between the stock shock and the oil shocks.

BTW, you will love the Kyosho oil shocks. They kick a$$, especially for handling jumps and drops. :D

yeah thanks, I know they are awesome. I used to have an OL back in 2004 with Oil shocks and i sold it :( because I was "getting out" of the hobby, and I also sold my MTX-4 and my EX-10 ( I kept the AM module thought ;) ) and while I still like the 1/10 scale I have the biggest crush and miss my OL. So Im getting one for xmas and I have some tires and these two extra shocks.

ruf
2007.12.19, 01:12 AM
My fave pieces for the OL were the Kyosho gunmetal alloy shock towers. I think they were actually designed for the Monster, but they fit and they look sweeet... The stock shock towers were the first thing that busted on mine. I think I still have a video of us running on our old 1/10 offroad track.