PDA

View Full Version : MRC superbrain 989 charger

TheRinger
2007.12.24, 11:06 PM
Has anyone use the MRC superbrain 989 charger? Is it any good? Can U actually run a 12 volt soldering iron on it?

byebye
2007.12.25, 04:12 PM
I have the 959 and it's collecting dust because I don't like those kinds of chargers. If your interested in it let me know I'll sell it CHEAP!!!!!!!

Kris

Phenochilus
2007.12.25, 08:31 PM
I personally would run the 12 volt soldering iron off a seperate power supply rather than off the charger itself (I assume you're planning to use the motor break in feature to run it).

A good bang for your buck charger is the duratrax ice.

Davey G
2007.12.25, 08:44 PM
Has anyone use the MRC superbrain 989 charger? Is it any good? Can U actually run a 12 volt soldering iron on it?

Hello, What exactly are you looking for in your next charger purchase? Yes you can run a DC 12vt soldering off of this charger. I work for MRC and am the RC CAR Product Manager, I am not involved in the charger stuff but can help you with any questions you might have. The 989 is marketed as the DO IT ALL charger and that pretty much sums it up.

The 959 that byebye is referring to is about 4 yrs old, but has been updated in the past 8 months to the RB960. The 960 is a excellent low dollar charger that can charge all NiCd/NiMh cells, including AAA mini z cells. :)

Again, what exactly are you looking for in a charger?

TheRinger
2008.01.01, 07:52 PM
I personally would run the 12 volt soldering iron off a seperate power supply rather than off the charger itself (I assume you're planning to use the motor break in feature to run it).

A good bang for your buck charger is the duratrax ice.
I looked at the duratrax ice charger and the only thing I don't like about it is that I would have to buy a power supply when the MRC super brain comes with its own power supply. Yes I plan to run the PN motor stand on it along with anything else I can use it for along with my bigger scale stuff.

TheRinger
2008.01.01, 08:26 PM
Hello, What exactly are you looking for in your next charger purchase? Yes you can run a DC 12vt soldering off of this charger. I work for MRC and am the RC CAR Product Manager, I am not involved in the charger stuff but can help you with any questions you might have. The 989 is marketed as the DO IT ALL charger and that pretty much sums it up.

The 959 that byebye is referring to is about 4 yrs old, but has been updated in the past 8 months to the RB960. The 960 is a excellent low dollar charger that can charge all NiCd/NiMh cells, including AAA mini z cells. :)

Again, what exactly are you looking for in a charger?
I'm looking for a charger that can do it all. I like the idea that it can run a soldering iron plus motor break in stand, it seems more suited to my budget. I have a 960 super brain and its a good charger, better than the dynamite prophet it replaced but I decided to go ahead and get a super brain 989 because I don't use my bigger scale stuff as often as I run my mini z's so they sit around more and the 960 can't discharge and cycle batteries so I want a charger that has those functions so hopefully my bigger scale batteries will last longer. Plus I want a charger that can charge any battery I hook up to it.From AAA's to 8 cell sub C cells from nicd to nimh to lipo's. I'm also considering purchasing a comm lathe. My question is where can I get a 12volt soldering iron that will work with this charger and can U adjust the heat for the soldering iron through the charger?

mleemor60
2008.01.07, 08:43 PM
The 989 was the first charger that I purchased when I returned to the hobby. It is an excellant product that has done everything that I have asked of it. It has , however, seen limited use. It is smarter than I am. I do keep it set up at home for mule usage. Cycling, etc. I would not trust it to charge batteries for mini-Z's. It is like Quail hunting with a cruise missle. It really gets the job done but you aren't quite sure of what you have when you are finished

TheRinger
2008.01.07, 10:56 PM
The 989 was the first charger that I purchased when I returned to the hobby. It is an excellant product that has done everything that I have asked of it. It has , however, seen limited use. It is smarter than I am. I do keep it set up at home for mule usage. Cycling, etc. I would not trust it to charge batteries for mini-Z's. It is like Quail hunting with a cruise missle. It really gets the job done but you aren't quite sure of what you have when you are finished
I mainly bought it for my bigger scale stuff and run tools with. Yeah its smarter than me too, why its called SUPERBRAIN!

TheRinger
2008.01.07, 11:03 PM
I broke down and finally bought a superbrain 989 charger. The biggest selling point to me is it comes with its own power supply so I can use it anywhere and run tools on it like my pn motor stand. And cycle my old 1/10 scale batteries.

mleemor60
2008.01.08, 07:41 AM
I mainly bought it for my bigger scale stuff and run tools with. Yeah its smarter than me too, why its called SUPERBRAIN!
Me too. After getting more involved with the 1/10th scale stuff, I found that I liked the old Novak Millenium pro much better. So if and when I feel like loading up the truck for a day of exasperation, I throw in the Milleniums and an Ionic and drive far away so that I can re-kit my touring car. I need the practice replacing corners of the car Or, I can throw 4 Mini's all my spare parts plus a couple of radios and chargers in a briefcase and drive 10 minutes from the house and have a day of fun.

Davey G
2008.01.08, 08:42 AM
I broke down and finally bought a superbrain 989 charger. The biggest selling point to me is it comes with its own power supply so I can use it anywhere and run tools on it like my pn motor stand. And cycle my old 1/10 scale batteries.

Glad you like your newest investment.