PDA

View Full Version : RCP rail liners

RCPMini-z
2007.12.31, 08:04 PM
We have been working on some new rail liners for the RCP Tracks. These plastic liners will fit on the inside surface and will be held down under the rail by the rail PINS. They will work well to not only protect the inside rail from getting damaged, but will also help the car slide off the rail instead of bouncing into traffic. PN racing here in California will be testing some prototypes in the next week or two. We will start mass production once PN Racing gives us their opinions, recommendations, changes, etc.

Thanks,
John

Roketmini
2007.12.31, 08:22 PM
Hmm...my $.02:
You could have custom order ones avalible so clubs can have their logos/designs printed on the guards. It might cost a pretty penny though, but it's just a thought.

arch2b
2007.12.31, 09:26 PM
thanks for the heads up and more importantly, the continued effor to improve the product line :)

fyi, did you ever get a chance to check into what rail liners were used in last years kyosho finals for the f1 races?

RCPMini-z
2008.01.04, 11:05 AM
I believe Kyosho used tape for their rail liner. Not 100% sure.

I am heading out to PN Racing tomorrow to install the rail liners before their Saturday races. I will take some pictures and post up when I get back. Quick question. I have a few different heights to test out. Would anyone have use for a 3" ~ 4" high rail liner? or would the height of a standard rail be all that would be needed.

Davey G
2008.01.04, 11:26 AM
We have been working on some new rail liners for the RCP Tracks. These plastic liners will fit on the inside surface and will be held down under the rail by the rail PINS. They will work well to not only protect the inside rail from getting damaged, but will also help the car slide off the rail instead of bouncing into traffic. PN racing here in California will be testing some prototypes in the next week or two. We will start mass production once PN Racing gives us their opinions, recommendations, changes, etc.

Thanks,
John

Hi JOhn,

Excellent idea, you can actually rub the corners without getting sucked in. Do you think the durabillity of the cars will go down a little bit with these though? Good seeing you on here, we spoke a few time when I worked for TRINITY I am not working for MRC. Happy New Year!!

arch2b
2008.01.04, 11:36 AM
3-4" might be more than enough given the hieght of the current production rails which are lower than the older ones. i would like to see somehing that was maybe slightly higher than the current rails but not by inches. once you get above the rail height the intergrity of the liners is what i would be concerned about. if the material is rigid enough to not warp, sag, etc. than i think there would be less to worry about.

i'd have more to offer after having seen pictures:)

byebye
2008.01.04, 11:46 AM
These would be great on the straights. But what about on larger track layouts and flipped cars? You just won't be able to run along the rails when your corner marshalling. How about an "RCP car flipper"?

Kris

rharris
2008.01.04, 11:52 AM
Would anyone have use for a 3" ~ 4" high rail liner? or would the height of a standard rail be all that would be needed.

I think the standard for most of us.

I imagine the 3" ~ 4" high rail liner was designed for the double high rails at the RCX show two years ago?

RCPMini-z
2008.01.04, 01:42 PM
Hi JOhn,

Excellent idea, you can actually rub the corners without getting sucked in. Do you think the durabillity of the cars will go down a little bit with these though? Good seeing you on here, we spoke a few time when I worked for TRINITY I am not working for MRC. Happy New Year!!

Yes, I remember speaking to you. I don't think the durability of the cars will suffer. I think more cars get damaged bouncing off the rails into on coming traffic than would be damaged by sliding off the rail liner. I have both thick and thin liners to test tomorrow. The thin liner will allow some spring and absorption, but may not be rigid enough to hold up on the track. The thick liner will definately hold up on the track and I believe will ultimately be the better material to use. I will know more tomorrow.

RCPMini-z
2008.01.04, 01:59 PM
FYI, I have another new product that I am experimenting with. I had our factory make some tiles with an alternate surface texture. The texture I am looking to create is much smoother and resembles asphalt. My intent was that people could install the tiles at specific locations on the track as an extra challenge obstacle. The cars will not hook up as well on these tiles and might add a little variety and challenge to an existing layout. I have some of the tiles here at the shop and I am bringing them down to the race tomorrow to see if Phillip wants to incorporate them into his race on Saturday. If he doesn't use them for the race, I will leave them for testing throughout the week at his racing facility. The sample tiles I have are not the asphalt replicas, but another smooth texture. If the testing goes well, I will make the new molds that will replicate the asphalt looking texture. The molds can be rather expensive, so I want to make sure this would be a product many would want, before making the investment on the new molds.

I am not sure if anyone here has run our jumps, but we did change the design of these a few months back. Below is a picture of the new jumps, which are a one piece new design. I plan on investing a great deal of time this year coming up with and manufacturing new items for the tracks. In addition to the rail liners, I hope to have some new and very cool additions available in early 2008.

rharris
2008.01.04, 03:27 PM
are those RCP + Carpet tiles under the jumps?

arch2b
2008.01.04, 03:33 PM
we used the jumps extensively with overland racing and now with micro-t's

briankstan
2008.01.04, 04:21 PM
I use the jumps with our Overland races. I mostly use them at home for overland jumps around the house.

that's great news about the new products...I'm always up for some added variety to the tracks.

John, I sent you an email regarding HFAY I just wanted to make sure you received it. thanks. :)

rharris
2008.01.06, 12:46 AM
We used these today at the Kenon track. Pretty cool.

The Kenon track gets a lot of use. The rails around the corners are starting to break up and sometimes small pieces come off and become rubble in the track.

The rail liners will not only protect the rails from tearing up, but the really do help the cars to not bounce back into the middle of the track.

herman
2008.01.06, 10:05 PM
sounds pretty interesting... any pictures? :D

RCPMini-z
2008.01.07, 02:25 PM
I took some pictures, but they didn't come out. I noticed they really worked well on the large radius inside turns that were located at the end of a long straight. Guys were taking the corner at a high rate of speed and glancing off the plastic liner. We also put a few tall liners at the outside edge of this same turn where some were traction rolling and would normally roll off the track. Having the tall liner installed kept the car on the track most of the time. Some cars actually traction rolled, bounced up off the back tall liner and then back on their wheels.

Philip had some good ideas about using the liner around the short radius turns. He suggested letting the liner bulge out off the foam rail similar to 1/10 scale barriers. See below.

On a side note, after looking at Philips track and the Losi "Orange" racing markers, I was thinking of changing the color of the corner rails. Anyone else have suggestions or opinions on a color change for the inside and outside rail? We can make them in orange or pretty much any color.

arch2b
2008.01.07, 02:31 PM
if you can approximate pn orange i wouldn't mind :) not crazy about flourescent orange.
infact, i'd rather see striped corner rails but that's taking it to the extreme...

btw, can you illustrate how the liners overlap rail joints? i'm just as concerned about a car catching one of the ends which is essentially like hitting a knifes edge. all that force on a thin blunt edge could spell trouble depending on the rigidity of the plastic and or how the ends of the rail liners are handled.

let me know if you have more of these to test. we run our track in an indoor mall which gets lots of foot traffic and i think the tall rail liners would also do more to disuade bystanders from steping onto the track as well as keep little kids hands off the track rails.

rharris
2008.01.07, 04:33 PM
They come in prefab plastic roles but you can custom cut to fit. You over lap them by an inch so that the cars can't peel them back or get stuck on the edges.

They are very quick to set up, and you only need them in the areas of the track that take the most abuse (inside corners, 180 turns, etc...)

The ones I saw were almost clear, and you didn't even notice they were there after a while.

RCPMini-z
2008.01.07, 06:48 PM
Here is one picture from the factory. The liners measure 1mm thick. I am going to have them made in either 48 inch or longer lengths. This will allow you to wrap around a large radius inside turn and have left over material to run down the entering straight rail. We are going to have them perforated so you can bend them up in a 90 degree very easily. There will be plenty of material to run along the straight entering the turn, so you won't have to worry about the cars hitting the beginning edge. Also at 1mm thick, the liner fits snug against the foam rail. I am going to make the liners so they will have a back vertical edge that will catch the rear of the rail. This will guarantee that the liner holds sung to the foam rails.

The liners will be shipped flat and rolled up, so they will fit in a rather small box. As I said before, they will be perforated, so you can bend up the front guard and bend up the rear to hold the rail snug to the foam barrier. I am not going to have any holes cut in them, as every user will want to customize their own liners to their needs. The liner cuts very easily with typical scissors.

RCPMini-z
2008.01.07, 07:04 PM
if you can approximate pn orange i wouldn't mind :) not crazy about flourescent orange.
infact, i'd rather see striped corner rails but that's taking it to the extreme....

The color is actually pretty close to PN orange.

See picture below of the sample orange color.

RCPMini-z
2008.01.07, 07:19 PM
are those RCP + Carpet tiles under the jumps?

lol, we have experimented using RCP tiles laminated with thin carpet. The cars didn't hook up as well and the process of laminating the carpet to the foam was double the cost of the existing RCP surface. Figure even more costs if we were to have ozite shipped to our factory.

hrdrvr
2008.01.08, 07:01 AM
I like the clear! We have a carpet track with custom made foam walls. This would be a good addition to our track as well. If it ends up clear, white, or striped you can count me in. Our track walls are red, and that orange + our red = uuugly.

arch2b
2008.01.08, 08:29 AM
agree'ed, red rails with orange liners will not be very attractive to look at. in this case clear would be best.

let me know when you will have this available as i'd like to get some.

RCPMini-z
2008.01.08, 10:37 AM
I like the clear! We have a carpet track with custom made foam walls. This would be a good addition to our track as well. If it ends up clear, white, or striped you can count me in. Our track walls are red, and that orange + our red = uuugly.

I am not looking to make rail liners orange. They will be clear and always have been. I mentioned the orange in that I am looking to change the foam inside and outside corner rails that come in the RCP Track kits. They are currently a light red. Anyone have a different color choice or do you want them to stay light red. Maybe a poll thread on color choice would be better.

arch2b
2008.01.08, 10:57 AM
cool.
yep, i would sugesst a poll with your available color options as the best means to get the feedback your looking for.

hrdrvr
2008.01.08, 12:30 PM
My bad for the misunderstanding. Ill definatly be on the list for these when they come out :D

Draconious
2008.01.08, 01:47 PM
I wonder if some sort of Iron On covering used in model aircraft (MonoKote) could be used instead of hard plastic? it could just be ironed onto each rail and left there...

I guess I am forgetting all the reasons why the rail liners were needed? does it help F1 noses from sticking under the rail? Its been so long since I read any of these posts... Why was this better then taping the rails?

RCPMini-z
2008.01.08, 03:08 PM
I wonder if some sort of Iron On covering used in model aircraft (MonoKote) could be used instead of hard plastic? it could just be ironed onto each rail and left there...

I guess I am forgetting all the reasons why the rail liners were needed? does it help F1 noses from sticking under the rail? Its been so long since I read any of these posts... Why was this better then taping the rails?

I don't think an iron on or similar covering would be any better than tape. Tape works temporarily, but the cars eventually cut through. Tape also allows too much spring back into traffic when cars hit the rails at the inside corners.

The plastic liners will not do anthing more to prevent the F1's from wedging under the rails. The only fix I know of for that is either glueing the inside rails to the mats or modifying the F1 front wing with a vertical piece of material such as a screw.

From what I witnessed on Saturday at PN Racing, when the cars cut the corners and hit the inside corner rails with liners, they stopped pretty quick without the spring back. This is when they hit the rails at a 60 ~ 90 degree angle to the rail. When they hit them at much less of an angle, the cars glanced off and continued on with their run.

Ancient Artist
2008.01.08, 03:52 PM
I am not looking to make rail liners orange. They will be clear and always have been. I mentioned the orange in that I am looking to change the foam inside and outside corner rails that come in the RCP Track kits. They are currently a light red. Anyone have a different color choice or do you want them to stay light red. Maybe a poll thread on color choice would be better.

I donít know if I would replace the light red, they look pretty sweet. However, I think an additional color(s) would be cool. My suggestions would be possible yellow, although they could get dirty (unless you had the rail liners),blue,or even the orange.
Anything in the spirit of racing that looks neat and professional.

Ever give any thoughts to using a proprietary color specific for just tracks ?
May not be cost effective but just a thought....

RCPMini-z
2008.01.08, 03:56 PM
I donít know if I would replace the light red, they look pretty sweet. However, I think an additional color(s) would be cool. My suggestions would be possible yellow, although they could get dirty (unless you had the rail liners),blue,or even the orange.
Anything in the spirit of racing that looks neat and professional.

Ever give any thoughts to using a proprietary color specific for just tracks ?
May not be cost effective but just a thought....

Do you mean different rail colors for Wide L, Oval, Mini-96 etc?

I already have samples of different color rails. Let me find the pictures and post them up.

RCPMini-z
2008.01.08, 04:01 PM
Here is some sample pics of yellow and blue. We have orange shown in the second attachment and can also do them in white, brown and green.

arch2b
2008.01.08, 07:29 PM
i would not mind each type/kind of turn having a different color.

RCPMini-z
2008.01.08, 07:52 PM
i would not mind each type/kind of turn having a different color.

Whatever color I make the inside and outside corner rails, they would all have to be the same unless they are a mix of grey like the striaghts and the Nascar large radius outside turns.

arch2b
2008.01.08, 08:18 PM
i likethe way the nascar turn looks!