PDA

View Full Version : TEAM SCREAM 900mah Mini Z Cells

Davey G
2008.01.05, 03:40 PM
Thats right, TEAM SCREAM RACING the winningest 1/18th scale national battery matching/zapping company is now diving head first into the MINI Z market. John Cravotta the owner of Team Scream has over 7 yrs of battery matching experience and has been racing for over 25 yrs, TEAM SCREAMS latest achievement came Thanksgiving weekend, winning the highly touted 1/12th scale class at the Cleveland Indoor Champs, there batteries are no joke. TEAM SCREAM will be releasing there 900mah AAA battery February 1st or sooner. I have personally tested these multiple times, and these are the fastest cells I have ever run. This isnt just another battery, I did say that these are being released by a battery MATCHER/ZAPPER didnt I?? (hint hint) These will be sold in groups of 4 and will come with TEAM SCREAM blue shrink with Black logo. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. John from TEAM SCREAM will be on here shortly....

pchan0
2008.01.05, 04:06 PM
What kind of voltage will we see from these AAA? Price?

SaiTam
2008.01.05, 08:54 PM
Can you give/sell me a few sets so that I can test them for you?

I run Mod Oval and 2WD Mod in NNJ and I need extreme punch and speed.

So far I find Orion and Intellect batteries being the fastest.

arch2b
2008.01.05, 09:13 PM
please ask john if he would like an 'ask team scream' subforum :)

wcrotty
2008.01.05, 09:52 PM
What are the testing numbers you are using.

Charge amps
Charge cutoff
Discharge amps
Discharge cutoff

Also what kind of numbers are you looking at selling?

with the above.

Avg Voltage
Internal resistance
Discharge Time.

Ancient Artist
2008.01.05, 11:38 PM
I agree that Team Scream is one of the best, if not THE best in the high performance battery market these days. They also run a top notch business to match (no pun intended); but do you think these will be neccesary from a competitive sense?
Don't get me wrong -for a reasonable price (assuming they will be as good or better then anything else) I'd drop them in my Sinister just because they would be cool to have. :cool:
However I thought I read a blog from Cristian (at Atomic Mods) that matched packs would never really be needed for this scale because the cars get so much power now.

Then again....never say never right ?

That being said I better leave a few spots in my battery case JUST IN CASE ! :D

wcrotty
2008.01.06, 12:07 AM
I agree with Christian on the matched packs not being needed for mod class though. Stock class if you can match punchy packs and high voltage packs it MIGHT make a difference. In modified it doesn't matter. You can't get the power to the ground. Unless foam tires and traction compound is allowed in the future. (I hope this doesn't happen)

But numbers on batteries can be manipulated and what you get from a matching company may not really reflect what the batteries really can put out. Zapping cells only lasts for so long.

EMU
2008.01.06, 02:02 AM
I agree that a matched pack is not really necessary for a mod car. But for stock class or HFAY, battery power is speed... and will make a stock class car run with punch similar to a modified car. A good set of cells could mean the difference between winning and not with good competition.

I have spent a lot of time trying to make my cars run faster, when it has mainly been my batteries slowing me down. I recently picked up 5 sets of cheap Duratrax 750's. One of the guys that I raced with zapped a few sets. Those sets run quite a bit faster than the ones that arent zapped... I have more punch with them than any set of Intellects that I have had. Of course I know that they will not last as long since they have been zapped (a little less capacity), but I am alright with that races are under 10 minutes anyway. Now I have to sort through them and see which cells are good, and which ones arent... Its a long weening process. I have been waiting for matched zapped sets to come on the market for some time.

Daves cars allways FLY in the mains... and I know thats when he is using his matched sets. In practice and in qualifies, hes fast... but not nearly as fast as he is in the mains.

byebye
2008.01.06, 08:14 AM
I just picked up a set of those Duracell 1000's. First charge they had so much punch that my car was nearly undrivable. Jonny from StaffordUK said he wa able to get 40min. of run time from one set. They just completed the 12 hour race yesterday but I haven't heard from him.

Anyway, my question is with this scale is it more important for batteries to be punchy or last long or both? I'm not really familiar with any other scale than this but I've heard of the benfits of a really good matched set of batteries. Will this company be making a battery pack that from the beginning of it's usable life will provide the same punch and longevity until it needs to be replaced?

Kris

bermbuster
2008.01.06, 08:19 AM
Sweet Deal.....Team Scream..... John has always been an innovator doing what everybody else said wasnt needed in 1/18 scale as well. Next he might start tuning 130 motors.....(hint)
I believe the really fast guys now have some battery mojo and now even the common racer can get some......

bermbuster
2008.01.06, 08:30 AM
Will this company be making a battery pack that from the beginning of it's usable life will provide the same punch and longevity until it needs to be replaced?Kris

I cant say how aaa cells react in the long haul compared to 2/3 a cells. I have been using Team Scream matched cells(3 years) and the packs I make up give me and my son awesome service.....We are not the fastest racers but we never have trouble on the electrical power side.....
Im sure if Dave G. is endorsing them (he has been secretly testing them)
the cells are that good....
Team Scream doesnt sell junk so the hobby has just went up a notch.....

byebye
2008.01.06, 08:37 AM
I think Team Orion was or is making a set for the mini-z as well.

You're right this is a notch up for the hobby. I'd like to be able to purchase a decent set of consistent batteries and never look back. I think right now I'm running 4 different sets of AAA's. My latest is those duracell 1000's but since they are new they are the strongest but that has been the same with every new set.

Subcribed for more details...

Kris

wcrotty
2008.01.06, 03:00 PM
How much are the packs going to be?

JC@TSR
2008.01.06, 03:37 PM
Hi Everyone, well it has been a long time in the making but I did not want the news out until I knew these cells were the real deal. As you know Dave G has been running them and has had great results.

I will give some discharge data this week. The Intellects that I have been testing seems to have an IR of around 228. My cells tested in pack form were 204 to 201.

I am still working on pricing, as I want to make these affordable for everyone including Dealers. This is a new market for me and I will have pricing set soon.

I totally agree about the matching of these cells is not needed for the modified class. The stock class is what these cells would be best suited for. If you think about it though, wouldnt a matched pack provide more runtime over a non-matched pack, so wouldnt they be awesome in mod too? IMO a matched set of cells is better all across the board then a non matched pack.

TEAM SCREAM is the type of company that can always provide the racer the best possible products available. Consumers sometimes cant always get what a Factory Driver can, I do not hold back on my products because I feel you should be able to get the same quality product the TEAM DRIVER get.

Manipulating numbers is a big "NO NO" if you are in the battery matching business. I can not see why other companies would do this just to make a buck. It will take down your business in a heart beat if someone put it out there on the forums that false numbers are being provided. This is something have never done and will never do. The numbers that come off the matchers "are what they are".

If other companies want to jeopardize their business name with false data, be my guest. That is not where I want to go after all the hard work I put in to the sport I love. WCrotty I see that you are in the New England area just like I am. Mark Smyka just won the Cleveland Indoor champs with my cells, you can ask him about my quality if youd like.

If you have any more comments or questions please let me know....

Flashsp-2
2008.01.06, 04:19 PM
John, glad to see that these are going to reasonably priced. I have one question: are these going to be matched/zapped Orion 900 cells, or have you outsourced cells from somewhere else? I'm very excited about these cells, they have been a long time coming for this hobby. Thanks....

Ancient Artist
2008.01.06, 05:48 PM
..thanks for the response John. Great point on where the value is on these batteries.
Regardless of the additional power they may provide, a matched pack will always give you greater consistency and run time then loose cells.
That goes a long when setting up your gearing,motors,etc in any class.

SING ME UP WHEN THE FIRST BATCH IS READY FOR PRODUCTION !! :D

CristianTabush
2008.01.06, 06:59 PM
John, these are definitely going to be a must for high level stock racing for sure. I know that you are just getting done with these, but what would be awesome is also a slightly lower voltage, longer runtime matched battery for modified racing. Higher voltage in these little suckers in mod is definitely a hindrance to performance. Great to see you are getting involved in this. Your brand will definitely bring more recognition to racing this scale. :)

arch2b
2008.01.06, 07:33 PM
john,
i sent you a pm on joining our 'ask' forums :)

JC@TSR
2008.01.07, 07:08 PM
arch2b I just PM'd you.

I will have more info up in the next few days. If you have any questions just let me know. I will do my best to answer every question ASAP.

pinoyboy
2008.01.07, 10:22 PM
arch2b I just PM'd you.

I will have more info up in the next few days. If you have any questions just let me know. I will do my best to answer every question ASAP.

I was thinking of buying more orion 900HVs, but I'll wait and buy some of these instead :D. Subscribed :cool:

wcrotty
2008.01.07, 10:38 PM
Hi John,

Smyka is a great guy. I have raced with him for years.

I'm also wondering if they are repackaged Team Orion Cells or are they something new? I know when i was doing testing of intellect cells performance was dependent on the freshness of the cells (PN gets the direct and airs them to the states). When i was testing my Team Orion cells on my turbo GFX i was getting ~19.5 (195) for AIR 1.145 Avg voltage at a 6 amp discharge and a .9 cutoff.
This was without zapping the cells.

I can't wait to get a pack to do some testing.

arch2b
2008.01.08, 09:34 AM
arch2b I just PM'd you.

i sent you an email from the pm message :)

JC@TSR
2008.01.08, 09:42 PM
Pulling some late nights to get the info up here for these cells. I also wanted to say these are not repackaged Orion cells. I have been testing AAA cells from a large amount of companies for some time now and found these to be the best. I have Orion cells coming to test against my cells in the next day or two. I will post all the data between the two cells when I get it. Hopefully my cells will come out on top. We will just have to wait and see.

It never fails, you try do something to better a sport and a huge company jumps in a spoils all your fun. That's the way it goes in this business though.

lfisminiz
2008.01.08, 10:24 PM
Dont worry, if you have a good product...we will buy. And i know you will. ;)

JC@TSR
2008.01.10, 10:18 PM
I got the Orion cells today and here is the info on them right out of the package. Charge rate on both cells is 1.0 amp and Discharge rate is 6.0 Amps.

431 SEC 1.134 VOLTS IR 18
440 SEC 1.131 VOLTS IR 18
434 SEC 1.124 VOLTS IR 19
415 SEC 1.125 VOLTS IR 19
427 SEC 1.133 VOLTS IR 18
390 SEC 1.141 VOLTS IR 19
420 SEC 1.132 VOLTS IR 18
425 SEC 1.126 VOLTS IR 19
430 SEC 1.130 VOLTS IR 18
440 SEC 1.132 VOLTS IR 18
415 SEC 1.121 VOLTS IR 20
428 SEC 1.131 VOLTS IR 18

My cells right out of the case

435 SEC 1.132 VOLTS IR 18
438 SEC 1.132 VOLTS IR 18
440 SEC 1.134 VOLTS IR 18
428 SEC 1.140 VOLTS IR 17
432 SEC 1.131 VOLTS IR 18
439 SEC 1.129 VOLTS IR 18
426 SEC 1.136 VOLTS IR 18
435 SEC 1.140 VOLTS IR 17
430 SEC 1.128 VOLTS IR 19
440 SEC 1.129 VOLTS IR 18
422 SEC 1.137 VOLTS IR 18
428 SEC 1.139 VOLTS IR 17

This is the first cycle and will post the 2nd tomorrow. I am setting up a new computer this weekend so I can post some charts to view. I will also test the zapped cells when the computer is up and running. The Orion cells and my cells look pretty close number wise. I did not fudge the numbers just to make it look like that either. LOL!

I will also try a 3.0 amp rate to see how they react over a longer discharge pattern.

I can tell just by what I see in these cells that a matched pack will be the key to longer runtimes and performance through out the race.

JC@TSR
2008.01.15, 08:08 PM
I am sorry for the delay, but I am having some trouble with the software install. I am working on it and should have it up and running this week. Sorry again. It looks like there will be a Ask Team Scream Racing Forum up soon as well.

JC@TSR
2008.01.21, 07:36 PM
Sorry for the delay everyone. Finally got the software up and running, cells are on right now and I will post the results from them tomorrow. I have been cycling these cells with a 6 amp discharge and a 3 amp discharge. The 6 amp data was posted and 1.12 to 1.14 with IR 17-19. The 3 amp rate gives more data as if you were in a race. The motors peak out at about 1-2 amps under the right condition. I am thinking of sticking with the 3 amp rate because of this. The cell discharges for a longer period of time as it would in a race and shows how it can handle the long discharge curve. I am doing this for the racers so let me know what you think. I do not mind changing something before they go on sale. That will be very soon now that I have the software up and running. I just want to stick to a solid system for matching these cells.

CristianTabush
2008.01.21, 08:42 PM
Actually John, I've data logged this and the motors peak at 5-6 amps coming out of corners. The average discharge for a mini-Z race is going to be in between 2-2.5 amps during a race. 2.5-3 amp discharge should be good.

Gigibesi
2008.01.21, 10:40 PM
when is the estimated time of arrival?

pinoyboy
2008.01.24, 11:52 PM
Are these still going to be for sale by Feb. 1st like Davey G mentioned in the first post? It would be a great b-day present for myself:D

Davey G
2008.01.25, 09:42 AM
Hey Guys,

These cells are now available for purchase. They are not listed on the TEAM SCREAM website just yet, but you can send JOHN an e-mail direct and place your orders that way, I will let John disclose the pricing of these later on today. I will be able to post more info on Sunday after running my most recent packs.....

Talk to you soon!

JC@TSR
2008.01.28, 03:58 PM
It was a long battle with the software but I finally got running and labels printing for the cells I finished for Dave. I added them to the website on the Micro Cells page. I will make them available so you can order them now. They will not ship until FEB 2nd or the 5th pending on how many I can get sorted in to packs. The Retail pricing is $20.00, Hobby Shop and Website will be $18.00. We worked out the pricing after seeing the Customs charge I was killed on.

Any other questions please post them here
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126

EMU
2008.01.28, 06:14 PM
I had a chance to run a couple packs on Saturday night.

These cells are fast. Made my previous cells that I have been running feel slow, and I felt no slowdown during my runs. I lent a pack to my buddy Sai, and I think he used them for 3 5 minute heats without repeaking.

I have been using some Duratrax cells, zapped. They are quick, but they dont have much runtime. Rated at 750, but I get average 550mah discharge out of them (at 1A). I tested these cells, and all discharged about 850mah after the race night was over. The duratrax cells are pretty punchy, almost as much punch as the Intellect cells I have. They are great for qualifies, but I start to dump towards the end of the mains.

It is great that the cells are matched, so you know you will get a good long run out of them. I didnt feel that they were as punchy as the Intellect cells at the start of the run, but that quickly wears off after a minute or two. I felt these were as fast at the end of the run as they were at the start. Which is something I care more about than initial punch.

I was pulling past almost all of the other cars when I ran these cells in 015 class. When I went back to my other cells, I felt slow. And last week I thought those were fast cells. I decided to not use any comm drops, since I had more than enough speed, and it was much more consistant.

Great product Team Scream. I plan on getting a few more sets.

yasuji
2008.01.28, 07:13 PM
i just orderd 4 packs of matched sets......im so excited..:D
should be rippin fast w/ my 08 NML LIGHTNING SS:D

Davey G
2008.02.07, 07:13 PM
So outside of what little Ole' me has to say, what do you guys think of the TEAM SCREAM cells? Sounds like JOHN is just about sold out. PN should have his very very soon, might want to check his site for details. I would have to assume that ATOMIC MODS will have some shortly as well. Curious to know what you all think of these??

pinoyboy
2008.02.07, 07:19 PM
So outside of what little Ole' me has to say, what do you guys think of the TEAM SCREAM cells? Sounds like JOHN is just about sold out. PN should have his very very soon, might want to check his site for details. I would have to assume that ATOMIC MODS will have some shortly as well. Curious to know what you all think of these??

mine were delivered today. I'll be able to give my thoughts on them after this Saturday

yasuji
2008.02.07, 08:09 PM
got mine today.....what do i charge them at? is 1 amp ok?i will be running them this weekend here @mpt mini z track
any info on care ,charge and discharge would be appriciated

lfisminiz
2008.02.07, 09:58 PM
Got them today. It will be another week till i try them at a race. Cant wait.

EMU
2008.02.08, 12:11 AM
On the package it says to charge at 1 amp.

My buddy Magic thinks these cells are TOO fast for him :eek: I love them.

pinoyboy
2008.02.09, 04:29 PM
Wow, these batteries are awesome:eek: Even when I used a 7th tooth pinion in stock, when the track is best suited with an 8, I still had more speed on the stragihts than everyone else. I changed to an 8 tooth and the difference in speed was crazy!

I'd definately reccomend these cells for stock class. This is too much battery for any other class:p

JC@TSR
2008.02.09, 07:14 PM
I am very glad everyone so far likes them. Sounds like all my hard work is going to pay off for the racers. That is what it's all about, the racers bring it to the table. Thanks for all the great feedback and I will be posting a full battery care sticky in my Ask Team Scream Racing forum this weekend. Any questions please go to that forum. The link is below.

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27316

yasuji
2008.02.09, 07:56 PM
i drove my new cells @kenon last night seems to have less punch than the orions (which is a good thing btw in my mod car) like driving with orions after the first 2 min.....
seems to last quite long except in the main last night the set that i used dumped on me at the 8 min mark , completely dead @ 10 min..... been charging @ 1 amp but it was only the first run with that set:o

EMU
2008.02.10, 02:00 AM
Two more wins with these cells tonight. I only used them in the main, and noticed the speed increase over my zapped Duratrax cells. (015 class and Nascar)

Too much power for my stock class 02. I was trying the Lexus SC430 body today, and I just couldnt get it to hook up.

I dont have Orions to compare with. Cant seem to find them anywhere.

CristianTabush
2008.02.10, 12:15 PM
Grant, you have to be doing something wrong to dump these, and the BPs in 10 minutes. I get about 18 minutes of runtime with my MR-02 Pan Car and Touring Car and about 15 minutes with the AWD. I actually get 15 and 12 with Intellects correspondingly. You might want to try a different charger/ different voltage cut-off as your cells do not seem to be getting a full charge.

yasuji
2008.02.11, 02:04 PM
Grant, you have to be doing something wrong to dump these, and the BPs in 10 minutes. I get about 18 minutes of runtime with my MR-02 Pan Car and Touring Car and about 15 minutes with the AWD. I actually get 15 and 12 with Intellects correspondingly. You might want to try a different charger/ different voltage cut-off as your cells do not seem to be getting a full charge.
i have been using my lacross to charge my cells and pn dischargers
yesterdai i started to charge them on the lacross till it said full then i let them cool then put them on my indi 16x charger @ 1 ampthey all charged for another 10-15 mins
i got excelent runtime from all of my cells thank you cristian u were right about it not charging all the way...i guess the lacross chargers are not good enough for what im trying to do;)
as for the batteries AWESOME:D

CristianTabush
2008.02.11, 04:27 PM
Awesome!!!

NICO
2008.02.12, 01:48 PM
Where can I buy these?

danny250r
2008.02.12, 05:56 PM
Where can I buy these?

http://www.teamscreamracing.com/

pfcparts
2008.02.13, 02:54 AM
Davey,

I emailed the website (hopefully its the correct addy lol) asking about a groupbuy and was wondering if it got in. :)

Thanks.

parts

Davey G
2008.02.13, 11:08 AM
Davey,

I emailed the website (hopefully its the correct addy lol) asking about a groupbuy and was wondering if it got in. :)

Thanks.

parts

Hello,

I am a team driver for TEAM SCREAM not the owner. I will make sure that JOHN gets back to you on this. Talk to you soon!

pfcparts
2008.02.13, 04:42 PM
Thanks Dave. I appreciate it.:D

parts

JC@TSR
2008.02.13, 04:58 PM
Here is battery charging and care info I was going to post.

PERFORMANCE CHARGING

(1) Charge at 1.0 amp with a high end charger such as a GFX, LRP, Tekin Etc.
(Our testing shows that the Power X and Lacross style Chargers false peak cells.)
(2) Peak Detect setting is .30-.40 MV
(3) After Running your cells discharge them at 3.0 amps to .90 volts per cell.
(4) Equalize the cells just before you charge them for best performance.

CHARGE RATES TESTED

We have tested these cells at a 2.0 and 3.0 charge rate. I will do 4 and 5 today to see how they do. They handle the 2.0 and 3.0 very well, the only down side is the IR goes down and you loose some runtime. With 5 min races this should not be a problem.

STORAGE

I have left 8 cells sitting since I started matching the cells. The numbers were 1.25 and today they were 1.22 and 1.23 after 30 days of sitting. I would put a 5-15 min. charge in the cells if you plane on storing them over the summer. Just to be safe I would also check the voltage every 30-60 days in each cell. I do not see these cells self discharging from what I have found.

I will do my best to keep up with the questions. If for some reasone I do not answer a question fast enough please call me at the number below.

pfcparts
2008.02.16, 09:17 PM
Ran a few sets today and was more than impressed. +1up on all the praise as it is well deserved.

Great product and even better service.

Thanks again John and Davey. :D

parts

Flashsp-2
2008.03.14, 07:31 PM
Got three sets of these cells yesterday, and they ROCK! I am running a stock armature in a PN can right now, and even with this the car launches like it has a rocket strapped to it. These are definitely the cells for stock racing, for sure (and mod if you are crazy enough) :D

yasuji
2008.03.15, 04:19 AM
Got three sets of these cells yesterday, and they ROCK! I am running a stock armature in a PN can right now, and even with this the car launches like it has a rocket strapped to it. These are definitely the cells for stock racing, for sure (and mod if you are crazy enough) :D

i have been using these batteries in my mod pan car since they have been released and i love them
they are awesome in my 2.4 mod pan:D

Flashsp-2
2008.03.15, 08:27 AM
i have been using these batteries in my mod pan car since they have been released and i love them
they are awesome in my 2.4 mod pan:D

I tried them in my mod ma010 and I am having issues getting the power down, which is awesome :D

wcrotty
2008.04.07, 10:42 AM
I got a set of the bats through rckennon before the ny race. I ran the cells
in my 2wd stock car and they ran great. (of course saying they ran great is always subjective).

So I tested the packs out on my matcher and i was very pleased with
the results.

cell AIR DisAvV DisTime
1 17.7 1.153 437
2 18.2 1.152 443
3 16.9 1.151 450
4 17.9 1.151 453

Now my best Team Orian cell i matched my self was.

1 17.9 1.147 444

most of them are in the 18.5~ for air and 1.147~ disTime 440~

Now this all being said. My Team Orion cells are getting better everytime
i run them and match them. I have not had the chance to run the team
scream cells many times to see how the number drop off or get better.