PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for a Mini-z Cup race at RCX

RCPMini-z
2008.01.07, 08:44 PM
I am supplying tracks for the larger scale "Try Me" area of RCX this year. I thought this would be a great venue for a Mini-z cup event for the two day show. Anyone up to attending and participating if I can put together the race at the RCX show? I would need to supply a second track for a Mini-z Cup event. I would also need to organize a pit area, pit tables and 120volt power. www.rcx.com For some that do not know, RCX is one of the largest hobby trade shows in the US and is located in Pomona, California. The event is held in April.

rharris
2008.01.07, 09:17 PM
Yea, that would be very cool! I'm in. Are you shooting for the 19th, 20th, or both?

yasuji
2008.01.07, 10:12 PM
im in if im in town!!!

RCPMini-z
2008.01.07, 11:04 PM
Yea, that would be very cool! I'm in. Are you shooting for the 19th, 20th, or both?

Both days. I need to get everything approved by the organizers first. Just trying to see if there would be enough people that would come to participate. Philip from PN Racing has already committed to helping sponsor the race. He can supply the timing system and run the races.

yasuji
2008.01.07, 11:43 PM
Both days. I need to get everything approved by the organizers first. Just trying to see if there would be enough people that would come to participate. Philip from PN Racing has already committed to helping sponsor the race. He can supply the timing system and run the races.
damn..... ill be in alabama that weekend :(

CristianTabush
2008.01.08, 12:18 AM
I would probably be in as well...

Call it like the RCP Champs or something... Let's go away from the name Cup ;) Too many already...

herman
2008.01.08, 03:00 AM
Call it like the RCP Champs or something... Let's go away from the name Cup Too many already...

hmmm... why not have a contest... best entry to name the event gets a free track?

here's my entry .... rcp champs.... er... make that rcx mini/micro challenge... (sponsored of course mainly in part by rcp) :D

RCPMini-z
2008.01.08, 04:11 PM
I pretty much have the OK by RCX to put this race together. It will be called the RCP West Coast Challenge at RCX. I will start a new thread once I have more details available. I need to come up with the classes and a set of rules. I am thinking right now of at least having an "Out of the Box" stock Mini-z class with tires being the only optional change to the car. Battery and motor hand outs may be implemented, but this and many other rules are up in the air at this point. There will be open classes where there will be no restrictions to manufacturer parts used.

CristianTabush
2008.01.08, 04:33 PM
A few suggestions. Use similar rules as PN racing does, but open up the motor rules. No PCB mods for a Super stock class and then a Mod calss where any motor/ FET upgrade goes. Combine AWD and 2wd cars as well, they run about the same speed around the track anyways...

As for the box stock class, it's a great idea if you allow only beginners.

Any help that I can provide, I am willing to lend a hand... This is the kind of stuff we need for this segment of the hobby to expand even further. In any which case, I am pretty sure I'll be there.

rharris
2008.01.08, 04:34 PM
Remember last year when kyosho sold off old stock for cheep? They had a mini-z that was selling for like $70?

Think they have anything left? You could have a (Beginner Only) box stock where you buy the car and race it as is. Then just include Kyosho tires (20r, 30f?) as part of the deal. With a stock motor, kyosho 20 rears and 30 fronts should work good enough.

They do this kind of thing in card game tournaments like Magic and also in miniature wargaming like Warhammer and Warmachine. It's a way for new guys to get into the hobby. Usulay the deck or game is part of the entry fee.

Should be good PR for kyosho and a good way to get new guys into the hobby. If you win, you get your car for free? That would make a good reason to chance buying a new car for the race.

Just an idea.

I like the new name. Joe is rite, "Cup" is tired.

RCPMini-z
2008.01.08, 04:45 PM
Sounds good. Posts like these are highly welcome. I want this to be a fun event for all. If you have any rules suggestions, feel free to post up or send me an email. I will read them all and take everything into consideration.

I am planning on putting together a killer track layout, filled with all the RCP accessories and a little something special. ;)

RCPMini-z
2008.01.08, 04:52 PM
How about a 1/36 scale micro T class? Is there many from here that run this small truck? Would there be interests in a Mini-Monster or Overland class?

rharris
2008.01.08, 05:18 PM
How about a 1/36 scale micro T class? Is there many from here that run this small truck? Would there be interests in a Mini-Monster or Overland class?

We tired them for a while at the SRC club. They hook up really well on the RCP and we even had some dirt sections. They hop all over the place on the brown dirt off road tiles.

But kids would break them or run them over the rails and it turned into a free for all. You have to have double high rails to keep them on the track.

Also, they were not as easy to keep charged from race to race, and we could never find an easy way to attach the transponders, so we would just race them with a stop watch.

RCPMini-z
2008.01.08, 05:22 PM
We tired them for a while at the SRC club. They hook up really well on the RCP and we even had some dirt sections. They hop all over the place on the brown dirt off road tiles.

But kids would break them or run them over the rails and it turned into a free for all. You have to have double high rails to keep them on the track.

Also, they were not as easy to keep charged from race to race, and we could never find an easy way to attach the transponders, so we would just race them with a stop watch.

The public wouldn't be running them, so most of the above wouldn't apply. There is a small chance I can get Losi involved in supplying the trucks. They would all be set up the same. Might be a fun race to run in. I could provide off road features suited for the trucks.

Does anyone run Mini-z Monster or Overland classes at their events anymore.

homestar21
2008.01.08, 11:32 PM
I would really like to go to this. Great Birthday gift, I'll ask my mom and dad. My bday is the 21st. ;)

Maybe stock class, Mr. rharris knows I'm a newbie. Or an oldie that can't drive. :p

But if I buy a car, I need to decide, for Christmas I get to pick, and so far I've narrowed it down (from everything, even not rc-related) to an MR-CG Chassis or a new Z. :confused:

herman
2008.01.08, 11:47 PM
good show for a box stock race!!!.... the idea of having the tires as the only modification would be great on those things...

i would however suggest having two classes - a beginners class and an advance/intermediate class... just to show the beginners how these cars perform in the hands of more experienced racers... i guess it would definitely be a really tight spec race... :D

rharris
2008.01.08, 11:55 PM
i would however suggest having two classes - a beginners class and an advance/intermediate class... just to show the beginners how these cars perform in the hands of more experienced racers... i guess it would definitely be a really tight spec race... :D

Oh yea, it would be cool to get some of the top Pan car guys on the track at the same time. Watching guys like Philip, Grand, and Lucas battle it out is pretty cool.

herman
2008.01.17, 03:56 AM
Oh yea, it would be cool to get some of the top Pan car guys on the track at the same time. Watching guys like Philip, Grand, and Lucas battle it out is pretty cool.
yeah i bet it would be really close... given that the cars will be box stock (preferably the same car like all vitz :D or cooper cars :D )... i believe the name of the game will be called 'skill'...

have three heats... for the first heat, all drivers randomly draw a number representing a car... three lap qualifying heat determines position on grid (best laptime is p1 second p2 etc...)

then after the first heat... exchange cars... (hehehe)... in reverse order... for example if there are 5 cars, fifth place driver gets to drive the car of the first place driver, fourth place driver gets to drive the car of the first place driver, third - third, second place driver gets to drive the car of the fourth place driver and finally the first place driver gets to drive the car of the fifth place driver...

after the second heat... swap out the motors... (hehehe)... put the stock motors in a bag and have the drivers randomly pick them out...

would be fun to see how that would end... :D

rharris
2008.01.18, 12:26 AM
It's not all that exciting to watch box stock. Box stock is for beginners.

The Pan cars are pretty explosive and much more fun to watch. I think people need to see that Mini-z's are real racing and can be very exciting to watch.

Super stock (fast motor and all the hop ups), Modified AWD, or Modified Pan, that's the way to go. Get a big screen and a projector so folks can watch the timing system in play. Think Exhibition like last year when they had the big guns on the off road track. Or two years ago when they had the baja jumping 30' into the air.

Then have a box stock for folks that want to walk up and race.

RCPMini-z
2008.01.18, 01:04 AM
It's not all that exciting to watch box stock. Box stock is for beginners.

The Pan cars are pretty explosive and much more fun to watch. I think people need to see that Mini-z's are real racing and can be very exciting to watch.

Super stock (fast motor and all the hop ups), Modified AWD, or Modified Pan, that's the way to go. Get a big screen and a projector so folks can watch the timing system in play. Think Exhibition like last year when they had the big guns on the off road track. Or two years ago when they had the baja jumping 30' into the air.

Then have a box stock for folks that want to walk up and race.

All sounds good. We are considering a PN Pan Car Open Class.

herman
2008.01.18, 04:11 AM
i am in total agreement with that... a pan car race would be fantastic to watch...

just want the beginners to see what it would be like for top guys to handle stock cars in a spec race...

Tjay
2008.01.20, 12:24 PM
We have vits/yaris, mini cooper and mini-van class here at InsideLineRacing in Santa Clara, Ca. This class is fun and all about driving techniques. No yanking the steering and no ON/OFF throttle finger. And the best part of this race is having the car infront of you traction roll on the sweeper while you're passing him on the inside :D! We should have a 90mm HM and a 90MM (with HM body) AWD in the same class. Either way, I will be going there and race stock class and 2wd mod. Maybe pan car too but we'll see...

RCPMini-z
2008.02.11, 10:14 PM
The race is on the schedule. I started a new thread http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27472

Post up in the new thread if you are interested in participating. Invites are going out to some of the top drivers in the US. Balance of entries will be on a first come first serve bassis. There is no drivers fee and RCP Tracks will provide each driver entry passes for the show both days. There will be lots of great prizes for the top three finishers in each class. We are also working on some cool take home gifts for all drivers who participate. We are setting up a great track with large radius outside turn sweeps, short chicanes, 45 degree section and long 3 tile wide straights.

mugmug
2008.02.13, 05:05 PM
My 2 cents on classes to run:

1) Pan Car Mod a Must - SPEED SELLS ! - This race will probably focus the highest number of pairs of new eyes to the RCP track at the show and 1/28th scale. Specially with the heavy hitter names mentioned before. The faster the better.

2) Super stock/mildmod Auto Scale Race - This plays to Kyosho's original strength which is cool car bodies but let's have every driver run a different body to offer as much eye candy as possible. I don't think a field of 10 Open Interface bodies will be that exciting.

3) Mini Cooper / Vitz class - If not universally charming for first time on-lookers then how about for all those Tamiya mini-cooper fans who are going to be at the show. Most Tamiya fans pretty much have a mini cooper too. Again let's co-ordinate so every single car will have a different paint scheme.