PDA

View Full Version : MA-010 AWD Chassis Body Mount Defect

soulstice
2008.01.11, 11:13 AM
I noticed this a few weeks ago and have since verified with others, but the side mounting points on the AWD is defective. The left side I'd say sits about 1-2mm lower than the right side. I'm talking about the height of the slits on the rear of the chassis that accept the clips from the autoscale bodies.

At first I thought it was my own error but after some measurements I verified that this was indeed the case. I run a 360 and an Enzo on my AWD and this defect makes all my bodies sit tweaked to the left.

How did this get past QA? Do you guys shift the mounting point down for one side on AWD bodies that come from the factory?

hrdrvr
2008.01.11, 12:05 PM
Ive noticed this as well, but it seems to be worse on white bodies. Ive never actually took measurements, but have noticed it. The left side also doesnt allow the body to slide on all the way. I could run a wider offset on the left of my AWDs, as the body is pushed out further than the right. Again, it seems worse on some bodies than it does on others.

soulstice
2008.01.11, 02:37 PM
Ive noticed this as well, but it seems to be worse on white bodies. Ive never actually took measurements, but have noticed it. The left side also doesnt allow the body to slide on all the way. I could run a wider offset on the left of my AWDs, as the body is pushed out further than the right. Again, it seems worse on some bodies than it does on others.

Hrm, your problem is a little different but I'll have to check it out mine to see if I see what your talking about. You're talking about the depth of the cut itself right?

The part in question I was talking about is the main chassis piece that holds the batteries. The cuts that hold the body onto the chassis are not cut the same distance from the bottom of the chassis. For example if the right side cut starts at 10mm off the bottom of the chassis, the left side is 9 or 8mm off the bottom. This makes the bodies sit tilted to one side.

hrdrvr
2008.01.11, 02:52 PM
Hrm, your problem is a little different but I'll have to check it out mine to see if I see what your talking about. You're talking about the depth of the cut itself right?

Yep, the depth of the cut seems different. I wonder if some bodies have different length sidfe mounts, because it is more prominant on certian bodies. The bodies it doesnt happen on fit loose on an 02.

The part in question I was talking about is the main chassis piece that holds the batteries. The cuts that hold the body onto the chassis are not cut the same distance from the bottom of the chassis. For example if the right side cut starts at 10mm off the bottom of the chassis, the left side is 9 or 8mm off the bottom. This makes the bodies sit tilted to one side.

I understand what you were saying. Ive had that happen as well. It seems like its not on every body though. Maybe some are mounted different? I notice it most promenantly on white bodies, but since I mount them myself I can easily compensate.

ChiefGreenLeaf
2008.01.11, 03:55 PM

You have to cut down the left side mount on some bodies. It's on p.15 of the MA-010 manual with measurments.

BmwM3_Evo
2008.01.11, 04:48 PM
Ahh, i think this could be the problem i was having with enzo + SAS, it wouldnt sit right and i was having full suspension on 1 side and none on the other. The toe on one side also rubbed.

color01
2008.01.11, 05:33 PM
You have to cut down the left side mount on some bodies. It's on p.15 of the MA-010 manual with measurments.
QFT, this is important when buying non MA010-specific bodies.

soulstice
2008.01.11, 05:57 PM
All good to know. I wasn't aware of that.

Just to keep things on topic, have other people noticed the defect I'm talking about?

ChiefGreenLeaf
2008.01.12, 01:33 PM
Sorry, but I'm not seeing it. I get a hair under 12mm from the flat of the bottom to the bottom of the slot. Measurments taken from my striped down stock chassi with a straight edge along the bottom (avoiding the little risers at the pinion area) and a tape measure.

herman
2008.01.14, 12:56 AM
hmm... didn't think it was the chassis till i read this... put an ae86 on the awd and did notice that it was lopsided... now i know why... will check to confirm... :D

soulstice
2008.01.14, 09:27 AM
Sorry, but I'm not seeing it. I get a hair under 12mm from the flat of the bottom to the bottom of the slot. Measurments taken from my striped down stock chassi with a straight edge along the bottom (avoiding the little risers at the pinion area) and a tape measure.

Hrm, now I'm confused. I got my hands on some calipers and I'm getting about 11.8mm on both sides. I first noticed this because I was looking at my PN extensions and based off that it looked like they were uneven heights.

Since it's harder for me to check the body clip heights, maybe it is the body clips that are coming uneven from the factory.

Flashsp-2
2008.01.14, 03:17 PM
Hrm, now I'm confused. I got my hands on some calipers and I'm getting about 11.8mm on both sides. I first noticed this because I was looking at my PN extensions and based off that it looked like they were uneven heights.

Since it's harder for me to check the body clip heights, maybe it is the body clips that are coming uneven from the factory.

My body clips on my white Enzo where way off, a good 2-3mm difference. I had to break the one side off and move it to even them out.

soulstice
2008.01.17, 12:50 PM
Okay now I'm really confused. I've done a battery of tests now and I can't figure out why my body is sitting off kilter.

I've measured the AWD chassis and the Enzo clips. Both are set equal distance from their respective reference points but these are the results. I've also brought in a control chassis and body.

Mclaren + MR02 = sits even
Mclaren + AWD = sits even
Enzo + MR02 = sits even
Enzo + AWD = 2mm lower on left.

How is that possible? I'm using the same bodies and same chassis to test. Any theories?

hrdrvr
2008.01.17, 01:25 PM
My theory:
If the left side body clips need to be trimmed to run an AWD, obviously they are too long. If it is too long its going to have to flex in some direction. Maybe the body isnt flexing directly sideways, but the pressure from the long side clip is forcing the body to go some where else (up or down).

With the enzo in question mounted, see if both side clips are perfectly parralell to the ground. If it is not, then my theory may have some merit. You may need to check it aginst the 02 in which it sits fine, as another control.

This would explain why some bodies do it, and some dont. The really thick bodies dont flex as much, and therefore just push out, not out and up.

Tim Johnson
2008.01.17, 04:38 PM
what you are experancing is not a defect, It is a difference in side mounts. For each body they require a slightly different side body mount.