PDA

View Full Version : Giant Sidebar? -->

Roketmini
2008.01.19, 03:30 PM
I'm just curious, what's with the giant sidebar I see at the right here? -->
I think that its pretty obnoxious personally, I'd rather not have to deal with an extra narrow forum experience.

briankstan
2008.01.19, 03:46 PM
I'm just curious, what's with the giant sidebar I see at the right here? -->
I think that its pretty obnoxious personally, I'd rather not have to deal with an extra narrow forum experience.

I have to agree...:confused: it's 1/3rd of my screen.

mk2kompressor
2008.01.19, 03:48 PM
same here,its a bit "in your face" :confused:

yasuji
2008.01.19, 04:15 PM
id hope that there is a big $$$$$$ paycheck for that kinda space:D

arch2b
2008.01.19, 04:53 PM
one particular reason the new sidebar look soo large is the contrasting colors. take a look at tinyrc for example and it does not appear to be as large but the background colors are homogeneous. Mini-Z will be changing the background color here to match the existing color scheme hopefully this weekend.

one of the reasons for the new sidebar is greater exposure of our other communites. Mini-Z has also had requests for advertising and just didn't have the space for it before so we have to dedicate some space to this with the hope being that the advertising will do more to offset the costs of the communites (forums) thus rely less on the shop which will free capital for the shop to expand and restock etc.

i know it's a BIG change but lets give it some time:o mzr has been slow to change simply because it's been the largest/most active forum of the community of forums.

Draconious
2008.01.19, 06:22 PM
It should just be 80% the size it is... the same width as the upper ads with one boarder pixel would be enough...

Reduce the white boarder around it, and the gray empty space around the edge of the forum area and it should fit better... too much empty boarder space.

Basically my point is, the forum is priority so it should take up the extra space... not the boarders and ads...

arch2b
2008.01.19, 06:27 PM
i agree however i'm not the one behind that driver seat. email Mini-Z:)

RCPMini-z
2008.01.19, 07:33 PM
You need to have full width for the forums. It is a bit odd to read with the large border to the right. If you need to add ad space, put it across the top or on both upper corners. If you have more ads than space, than make the ads alternate each time someone clicks to a new page. It works well on other forums I visit.

mikey
2008.01.19, 08:15 PM
its a nice addition but it makes it very cumbersome to surf on my iPhone. Is there a PDA view for the forum?

michvin
2008.01.20, 01:23 AM
I'll vote against. It's a little annoying. If you have to put it, make it on top of the page, so that the page width would be normal. :)

wight
2008.01.20, 06:06 AM
It is a bit on the large side.
Would be better if once you are signed up to the forum you could have the choice to turn it off.
I mean that all the info on the side is great for people who just browse,but once you start using the forum it seems very annoying.
I'll go with the rest ,I don't like it.
As soon as I came on yesterday and saw it I spent the next 20 mins trying to see if there was a control to get rid of it.
Looking at the entry dates on the news part of it,seems like it hardly changes enough to be worth it.
I know it sounds like we are whining when you are trying to make the site better,but I don't think this side bar thing is going to achieve that.Like said above,makes the forum feel like it's been shrunk.
Yet again,advertising is infringing on our space!

Cheers,Steve.

Spoon
2008.01.22, 09:15 AM
I hate it...I think it's a little bit smaller than it originally was but I think it's terrible.

I come to the forums when I want information and I go to the shop when I want to shop. I also don't care about the other sites enough to want links to them 100% of the time. I know they exist and I will visit them on my own if I want to go there.

byebye
2008.01.22, 09:19 AM
Nice sig spoon:)

Kris

Programmers
2008.01.22, 09:39 AM
Yeah, that side bar is rubbish.

arch2b
2008.01.22, 11:21 AM
just wanted to pass along that all comments are welcome and Mini-Z is working on improvements, some based on member feedback.

briankstan
2008.01.22, 02:48 PM
I don't have a problem with it being there in a much smaller form. it's just the size is rediculous. when you get down a few post all you see is empty space anyways.

pinoyboy
2008.01.22, 03:22 PM
I like looking through the "post image of your mr-02/ma-010" threads, especially when the pics are big enough to widen the thread and the sidebar seems almost non existant:p

I think I might just add big pics to threads, probably just the ones I start, just to get it the way it use to be if nothing changes:rolleyes::p:D

soulstice
2008.01.22, 04:23 PM
I think the side bar is obnoxious. I'm on a 24" monitor so it's easy enough for me to expand to a width where it's less obnoxious but i'm sure it's completely maddening for someone on a typically sized screen.

If there's a way for users to choose to turn it on or off I think that'd be good.

If not I'd just keep it 10 pixels wider on both sides than the max width of the ad banners you have running.

mikey
2008.01.22, 05:17 PM
I think the side bar is obnoxious. I'm on a 24" monitor so it's easy enough for me to expand to a width where it's less obnoxious but i'm sure it's completely maddening for someone on a typically sized screen.

If there's a way for users to choose to turn it on or off I think that'd be good.

If not I'd just keep it 10 pixels wider on both sides than the max width of the ad banners you have running.

lol @ 24" monitor.

im on a old hp compaq tc1000 with a screen size of 10.4 inches.

half of my screen is the bar

lfisminiz
2008.01.22, 08:32 PM
Well, i dont care for it either but the latest color is better.

pinoyboy
2008.01.22, 09:51 PM
Well, i dont care for it either but the latest color is better.

I agree, its not such an eye sore now

michvin
2008.01.22, 09:56 PM
that's definitely an improvement :)

briankstan
2008.01.22, 10:35 PM
the color is better, anyone feel that it's larger now? or is that just me.. it's almost half my screen now.

is this what the rest of you are seeing? I've attached a screen shot. I sized it down from the normal with of 1680 x 1050.

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Public/sidebar.jpg

simalive
2008.01.22, 10:47 PM
No, it's smaller than before now - less than 20% of my screen space. Colour blends well with the site too, works great for me.

Programmers
2008.01.23, 01:39 AM
Smaller and something that doesn't stand out too much!! That's far more tolerable!!

hrdrvr
2008.01.23, 07:26 AM
the color is better, anyone feel that it's larger now? or is that just me.. it's almost half my screen now.

is this what the rest of you are seeing? I've attached a screen shot. I sized it down from the normal with of 1680 x 1050.

On my screen the boxes are slightly smaller than the adds above them. Yours is ridiculously big!

I like the less obtrusive color, but I still dont like that 25-30% of the screen is lost on the bottom half of the page. I think add banners at the top, and even 10 posts down would be more effective, and keep the full width screen for posts.

2EZ
2008.01.23, 09:42 AM
Lighten up this is a great site and worth puting up with the side bar if it helps keep the site growing and improving.

Draconious
2008.01.23, 09:56 AM
ITS BIGGER!!! it was 50% of my screen on the previous page!!! 1600x1200 resolution LOL...

pfcparts
2008.01.23, 09:23 PM
No sir I don't like it...

Let's keep the forums posts about posts. Keeping them up top and unintrusive would be ideal. Maybe you could just have them in the links to the forum sections rather than the posts themselves. They are really annoying on the side like this.

I wonder if there is a correlation between the annoying factor of an ad and how effective it is... :D Do these types of ads even work? How much more traffic do they really get?

Not posting sale items in another persons post isn't allowed with the exceptions of mods and the site itself apparently lol. :p

Having stuff in stock with timely ticket responses may produce better sales than those annoying ads... but if they are paying some bills to help in said items and in keeping hop up prices manageable, I can't complain.

parts

briankstan
2008.01.23, 10:45 PM
I have to keep posting these pictures to show what I'm seeing. It's half my screen on some of the pages.

This was a screen shot of the "New Posts" page. on that I use all the time.

common now.

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Public/sidebar-2.jpg

xxam
2008.01.24, 07:37 AM
I see the ads on the "new posts" as 1/2 screen as well. I am hopeful it is a webpage design error, and will soon be corrected. Was there any response from minizracer at all?

arch2b
2008.01.24, 08:26 AM
I have to keep posting these pictures to show what I'm seeing. It's half my screen on some of the pages.

This was a screen shot of the "New Posts" page. on that I use all the time.

common now.

http://www.saltlakemini-z.com/Public/sidebar-2.jpg

odd. it does not appear nearly that large on ANY of my screens. i wonder if it has anything to do with screen settings, etc.?

yes, Mini-Z is working on running changes, some based on member comments;)

briankstan
2008.01.24, 09:28 AM
my screen at work looks alot like the pic you posted Arch2b, my widescreen monitor at home is completely different though.

standard screen is at 1280 x 1024 resolution
Widescreen is at 1680 x 1050 resolution

that might have something to do with it?

arch2b
2008.01.24, 09:38 AM
i'm not an expert but yes, i'd say widescreens have alot to do with it. my wife has 2 screens, normal and widescreen and it's very easy to see the effects when you drag a window from one screen to another. simply put, it widens everything accordingly thus the sidebar will appear much wider however i don't understand why propotionally it would not be capped to a proportional ratio? again, i'm no pc expert... i couldn't work with what your seeing though. i've forwarded your stuff to mini-z too.

what is noticeable however is that on the same monitor, the sidebar here is much larger than that on any of the other community forums.

arch2b
2008.01.24, 09:55 AM
found yet another quirk.... from the post view, the side bar is much smaller than from the forum menu view. see the attached pdf's. infact, it's even slimmer while posting.

briankstan
2008.01.24, 10:18 AM
I see the same while making a post. In my opinion that is the size that the sidebar should be locked to.

It's big enough for the ad banners and leaves the rest of the screen available for reading post.

Kamer
2008.01.24, 09:05 PM
the sidebar sux bad.... ;(

byebye
2008.01.24, 09:08 PM
The side bar was my idea......

Kris

Draconious
2008.01.24, 09:43 PM
The Main Forum TABLE cell needs an image with a WIDTH=100% and the Side bar needs to just be a hair narrower to let the forum suck up the rest of the available space with the 100% width...

Now.. if that side bar had a PERM chat room window on it 24/7... it might have a little more value to the forum visitors :)

Jonny
2008.01.25, 02:58 AM
I just thought I'd post my results as people are still having discrepancies - the sidebar on mine has been this size for 2 - 3 days, since the change after the first round of complaints. I'm on 1440x900 and it's a great size this end:

Jonny

mini-z
2008.01.25, 07:58 AM
It should just be 80% the size it is... the same width as the upper ads with one boarder pixel would be enough...

Reduce the white boarder around it, and the gray empty space around the edge of the forum area and it should fit better... too much empty boarder space.

Basically my point is, the forum is priority so it should take up the extra space... not the boarders and ads...

Great idea D - this is what we implemented in the first revision - thanks! :)

mini-z
2008.01.25, 08:00 AM
its a nice addition but it makes it very cumbersome to surf on my iPhone. Is there a PDA view for the forum?

Thanks M; yes on your iPhone you'll want to use:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/archive/index.php

Then click PDA. Thanks! :)

mini-z
2008.01.25, 08:06 AM
I hate it...I think it's a little bit smaller than it originally was but I think it's terrible.

I come to the forums when I want information and I go to the shop when I want to shop. I also don't care about the other sites enough to want links to them 100% of the time. I know they exist and I will visit them on my own if I want to go there.

One of the goals of the sidebar is to promote awareness of the Shop, as well as the other TRC Communities. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "what, this site has a shop?! I've been a member for 2 years and had no idea!" or "can someone tell me where to find {product listed in the Recent list at the Shop}" or "are there any good 18th scale sites like this one?!". We've been using it on most of the other TRC sites w/ great success and no negative feedback, and only applied it here after extensive beta testing elsewhere. Of course, if there are better ways to accomplish our goals, we'll strongly consider adopting them instead. :)

mini-z
2008.01.25, 08:08 AM

S, it s/b less than 10 pixels now, please test and confirm. We made this change almost instantly, but apparently this caused a new problem for IE users, which s/b fixed now. :)

mini-z
2008.01.25, 08:09 AM
No, it's smaller than before now - less than 20% of my screen space. Colour blends well with the site too, works great for me.

Thanks simalive! Are using FireFox by any chance? :)

mini-z
2008.01.25, 08:12 AM
Lighten up this is a great site and worth puting up with the side bar if it helps keep the site growing and improving.

Thanks 2EZ! :) Without a few positive comments like this in the maelstrom of this thread, you'd probably be looking at a "The Forums are Closed while Mini-Z attempts to piece his laptop together after violently ejecting it through a window!" message right now. :D

mini-z
2008.01.25, 08:12 AM
ITS BIGGER!!! it was 50% of my screen on the previous page!!! 1600x1200 resolution LOL...

Try now D - are you using IE?

mini-z
2008.01.25, 08:17 AM
No sir I don't like it...

Having stuff in stock with timely ticket responses may produce better sales than those annoying ads... but if they are paying some bills to help in said items and in keeping hop up prices manageable, I can't complain.

Thanks Mr. Horse! :D One of the many goals that the sidebar is attempting to realize is increasing ad revenue, so that precisely as you surmised, instead of the Shop allocating an immense portion of profits to running the sites, sponsoring events, and fostering local racing, we can provide a new revenue stream that will help cover some of these costs, providing more capital for new shop inventory etc. :)

mini-z
2008.01.25, 08:18 AM
I just thought I'd post my results as people are still having discrepancies - the sidebar on mine has been this size for 2 - 3 days, since the change after the first round of complaints. I'm on 1440x900 and it's a great size this end:

Jonny

Thanks J - this helped me determine that it's only IE users that are experiencing the new width problem - which should now be fixed. :)

mini-z
2008.01.25, 08:19 AM

B, this was invaluable in diagnosing the issue - please try again now, it appeared to be a problem w/ IE only, which is why FF users were reporting a vast improvement, while IE users remained baffled as it seemed to get even bigger for them. Thanks! :)

Draconious
2008.01.25, 08:47 AM
It is now a fixed uniform width... on all pages.

And yes... Internet Exploiter.

Jonny
2008.01.25, 09:16 AM
Thanks J - this helped me determine that it's only IE users that are experiencing the new width problem - which should now be fixed. :)
Ah of course! Doh, I should have picked that up...:rolleyes:

I'm glad it's all good now, it certainly doesn't intrude and will without a doubt be beneficial.

Jonny

briankstan
2008.01.25, 09:37 AM
D.

Just wanted to report that what I'm seeing now (for the size of the sidebar) works great for me.

I never had a problem with it being there. just the size (apparently only for IE users) was really making it hard to focus on the posts.

I'm sure I can speak for everyone in saying "thank you" for your continued support of our favorite hobby. sometimes we get frusterated, but you always take our opinions to heart and we all appreciate it.

Again this is the best place for Mini-Z anything. I'm happy to be apart of it.

Thanks

briankstan
2008.01.25, 09:39 AM
oh, one more note.

I still notice that after you move down about 4 post that you can't see the sidebar it's just blank space.

I don't know if this is possible, but I have seen then on some sites that the ads move down as the screen is scrolled down, just a thought?

it would work great for the Shop and News portions. :D

Draconious
2008.01.25, 10:16 AM
oh, one more note.

I still notice that after you move down about 4 post that you can't see the sidebar it's just blank space.

I don't know if this is possible, but I have seen then on some sites that the ads move down as the screen is scrolled down, just a thought?

Scripts that do that are usually very annoying on some systems... slowing the scroll of the page down, taking longer to load... and flashing/blinking because it doesnt move, it regenerates the entire area that moves each time the window scrolls... over and over...

2EZ
2008.01.27, 05:35 PM
Thanks Mini-z I fine so much good in this site I read it almost every day and have learned and applied much making my enjoyment of the hobby greater Thanks for your work and the efforts of this site making Miniz's and small scale RC that much more fun.
And thanks for listening to us who read and post to this site!!

cosmicsoul
2008.02.03, 07:21 PM
I know that most of the folks that visit the forums are grown men, I just wonder if the Jessica Simpson adds and others of its nature are appropriate for younger people looking to get into the hobby.

arch2b
2008.02.03, 07:47 PM
I know that most of the folks that visit the forums are grown men, I just wonder if the Jessica Simpson adds and others of its nature are appropriate for younger people looking to get into the hobby.

what would lead you to believe we would even consider that kind of advertising material? just asking as it seems so off the wall as to be confusing.

cosmicsoul
2008.02.03, 11:27 PM
I have never seen anything questionable on the site before. Earlier today I was suprised to see several adds with Jessica Simpson in compromising situations. They where at the top of the page underneath the menu bar. I am not trying to be off the wall or confusing. I think the site is great and a wonderfull resource.

byebye
2008.02.04, 06:36 AM
Get screenshot next time.

Kris

arch2b
2008.02.04, 08:24 AM
I have never seen anything questionable on the site before. Earlier today I was suprised to see several adds with Jessica Simpson in compromising situations. They where at the top of the page underneath the menu bar. I am not trying to be off the wall or confusing. I think the site is great and a wonderfull resource.

again, here? we have static advertising banner under the menu bar. it's been set to the same robo kojo for some time now. i'm not saying it's impossible, but i haev no idea how that would have changed to something other than what we currently show.

if this was indeed the case please send a screen shot to me via email and i will report the issue to mini-z who will investigate further.

mini-z
2008.02.04, 01:26 PM

cosmicsoul, I'm extremely concerned about this - please see if you can repro, as there's absolutely no way I'd ever allow anything like that on any of our sites. The most likely explanation is that either another site you visited had pop-up/under ads that you'd not noticed and seemed like they were to do with us, or that you have some malware on your computer that's injecting things into what is displayed (on your PC only).
This is actually something I have very strong feelings about, as it seems like there is some inexplicable link between cars/racing and the objectification of women, and it really irks me. For example, SPEED for some reason a little while ago started saturating their web site and commercials with some kind of "girls of SPEED" or something which to me just poses the question - is their product really that weak that they have to try to appeal to men via their hormones instead of relying on the strength of the product? Thankfully it seems like they've toned it down recently. We understand that MZR is frequented by enthusiasts in their young teens to retirees, male and female, with a range of sensibilities, and we strive to ensure that things are kept appropriate for all and do not stray from the overall topic at hand. I really appreciate you bringing this up, and please take a screen capture if you're able to reproduce this again. Thanks! :)

mini-z
2008.02.04, 01:31 PM
oh, one more note.

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, I really appreciate your kind words! :)

Just to make sure it's clear, the current sidebar is just a very early version of what we have planned, just so we can test the waters. It's going to get a lot cooler and more useful! :)