PDA

View Full Version : KO Propo EX-I UR

Flashsp-2
2008.01.20, 01:52 AM
Why living in Japan rules!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2283/2205667758_94889dc3ff_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2234/2205668544_5e9c176ef6_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2415/2205667948_e1c6112eaa_o.jpg

So, I don't even know where to begin with this thing. I just got it in the mail (delivered to my door actually), and I love the feel of it. It's nice to have a top quality Tx again. The main issue I am having is the instruction manual; it is entirely in Japanese. It came with the AD module (Helios model) and PCB, all for $248 shipped. I had originally wanted a Helios with the mini-z AM module, but since this was essentially the same price, I had no other alternative :D

Anyway, I figured most of the other high end transmitters have their own thread, and so should this puppy...

mk2kompressor
2008.01.20, 02:28 AM
very nice:D
keep us updated on how it performs

CristianTabush
2008.01.20, 02:58 AM
I'm so JEALOUS!!!

rharris
2008.01.20, 03:01 AM
Sweet. I'd like to get my hands on one. Looks alot like the mars.

Any word on when the 2.4 ghz mini-z module fo rthe ex-i will come out?

Felix2010
2008.01.20, 03:32 AM
That's hot. Seriously hot.
Very nice Flash, glad to see you hook yourself up. :D

Gigibesi
2008.01.21, 10:36 PM
any diffrence between EX-10 and EX-1 UR other than EX-10 is the Ko propo top end model..

Flashsp-2
2008.01.22, 06:27 AM
I'm not too sure if there is any difference as far as the actual electronics goes. I have been told this is actually supposed to be replacing the Helios, but I haven't seen that from KO specifically. I know the feel of the radio is really great. I really like the Helios, but this radio fits my hand a lot better, and the build quality is really solid (with the exception of the battery tray, the fit is off a little). I have been trying to go through the settings and get everything dialed in how I like. I am definitely glad I bought this radio. The difference between running my old AM stuff on the KT-5 and running AD with the EX-I UR is undescribeable (sp?). The buttons are all conveniently placed, and the menu is easy to get through, despite the entire manual being in Japanese. Again, I don't have a Helios to compare it to, but I have already found it to be extremely useful for setting up my car. The weight balance is nice as well, even though I usually prefer Tx's such as the Airtronics with the weight in the handle. Now all I need is a drop-down wheel and I will be all set.

CristianTabush
2008.01.22, 09:09 AM
A buddy of mine who is a KO Propo driver has told me this is the new high end model, which will replace the Helios. He could be wrong, but to me it makes sense.

The reasons for them going back to the old case are many, but I think there is a couple of them that made the most sense to me.

1.Shape: KO Propo guys will always be KO guys. When the Helios came out, they changed their shape and size all together. This threw me off. I never liked the Helios, as I know many people don't like it either. Companies like airtronics and futaba have kept their basic shape forever, with small aesthetic changes, which in turn mean very similar feeling radios.

2.Sales: The Helios was made in response to the American market. As my friend would say "Big americans" (referring to size not weight) could not fit their hands on a EX-1 case. KO therefore has never been a very popular seller in the US. With the Helios they hit it pretty good as they increased the size of radio, they increased their sales. The problem is their sales everywhere else went down. KO was always the "boutique" radio in the US, but very popular everywhere else.. Their "hardcore" guys, such as myself kept their old equipment or switched to Futaba which had the most balanced "feeling" controller. Going back to the EX-1 case will bring back their guys that switched and restore their international and KO fan sales again.

hrdrvr
2008.01.22, 12:43 PM
A buddy of mine who is a KO Propo driver has told me this is the new high end model, which will replace the Helios. He could be wrong, but to me it makes sense.

If this is true, I will be a little sad. I actually just got a helios, as it was the best thing (IMO) on the market at christmas time. Im getting used to how it feels, so thats a good thing. Atleast it looks like the modules are compatible.

ruf
2008.01.22, 01:18 PM
Different strokes for different folks. KO Mars guys will never be satisfied with anything else. If you have bigger hands, then the Helios is the way to go. The Helios has a similar feel to M8/11, whereas the Mars case has a very compact, dense feel that you either love or hate.

Flashsp-2
2008.01.22, 04:20 PM
If this is true, I will be a little sad. I actually just got a helios, as it was the best thing (IMO) on the market at christmas time. Im getting used to how it feels, so thats a good thing. Atleast it looks like the modules are compatible.

This was the situation I found myself in. I was wanting to get a Helios for my b-day, and I just happened to stumble across this by accident. Owning a Helios is certianly nothing to be a little sad about, that is for sure. I know a lot of larger guys may not like this radio, as it is very small and compact. I have large hands, but I have always liked smaller radios. The modules are definitely compatible, the AD module is actually for the Helios, and it came from KO this way.

I think, if anything, this will offer another option to different sized fellas who may not like the size of the Helios. I seriously don't expect to see a bunch of Helios radios on eBay once this thing hits the US market. It's just nice for the folks who preferred the older style radio.

As a side note, I found that the battery tray closes up a bit easier when using dry cells as opposed to rechargeables. Looks like it is time to take a trip to the 100 yen store and stock up...

ruf
2008.01.22, 07:49 PM
Why living in Japan rules!Why living US ain't half bad either... Just ordered a few via KO USA. Should be here next week. woot! :D

herman
2008.01.22, 10:23 PM
hmm... question... will the ko am mini-z module still work with the ex-i ur?
it works with the mars... but works with some mars-r versions (i read this somewhere)...
it worked in my brothers helios... so i'm guessing it should work with the ex-i ur...
just asking to be sure... :D

i've also seen a picture of the 2.4ghz asf module for the ex-i ur somewhere... anybody know when the module will be out? and will it work with the helios, mars and mars-r radio? :D

appreciate any replies... there are just so many things coming out.... :D

Flashsp-2
2008.01.23, 04:24 AM
Why living US ain't half bad either... Just ordered a few via KO USA. Should be here next week. woot! :D

Nice! It will be good to get feedback from another user. I'm looking forward to going over the radio with you and Christian. Japan is still better, I can drive down to the hobby shop and pick up Squat/Kyosho/etc Japanese parts (just got some Squat Orochi cells yesterday).:D

@herman-the AM module should work just fine. The ADmodule that came with this was for a Helios, so I would imagine it would work just fine. I don't know anything about the 2.4g module.

ruf
2008.01.23, 01:39 PM
That's good stuff man. We're still trying to get online with Squat as a dealer so we can carry some of those ridiculous gold bearings... :D

yasuji
2008.01.27, 02:43 AM
Nice! It will be good to get feedback from another user. I'm looking forward to going over the radio with you and Christian. Japan is still better, I can drive down to the hobby shop and pick up Squat/Kyosho/etc Japanese parts (just got some Squat Orochi cells yesterday).:D

@herman-the AM module should work just fine. The ADmodule that came with this was for a Helios, so I would imagine it would work just fine. I don't know anything about the 2.4g module.

i got mine last night @ kenon.... LOVE IT!....it fits me far better than my helios did tho it took a little getting used to but was still able to set fast lap last night as well as lay down the lap record this eve on the new lay out @ kenon
and no pain in my trigger finger thanks to thr adjustable reverse side of the trigger:D

Flashsp-2
2008.01.27, 03:33 AM
i got mine last night @ kenon.... LOVE IT!....it fits me far better than my helios did tho it took a little getting used to but was still able to set fast lap last night as well as lay down the lap record this eve on the new lay out @ kenon
and no pain in my trigger finger thanks to thr adjustable reverse side of the trigger:D

Awesome, I saw them on Kenon a couple days ago and was wondering when somebody was going to pick one up. So, is your manual all Japanese or does it have an English translation? And what's this thr adjustable reverse side of the trigger thing? I'm not quite up to speed on this thing :D

yasuji
2008.01.27, 03:34 PM
Awesome, I saw them on Kenon a couple days ago and was wondering when somebody was going to pick one up. So, is your manual all Japanese or does it have an English translation? And what's this thr adjustable reverse side of the trigger thing? I'm not quite up to speed on this thing :D

the manual is all english
the trigger has a screw in it to adjust the gap your trigger finger has to move
w/ my helios i had to add a piece of foam and cover it w/ heatshrink because the gap was so big that i had a hard time using the brake and rev

stitchy
2008.01.28, 07:38 PM
Sorry about the noob question, but how compatible is KO stuff with Futaba? I'm considering getting this radio for my Mini-Z, but all my other cars have Futaba stuff. I'm just wondering how much of a hassle it would be (if any) to convert everything, plugs, servos, receivers, etc...TIA

pfcparts
2008.02.06, 03:48 PM
Just got it in today. :)

I thought it was a better deal to get the board, crystals, module, and tx as opposed to just the tx lol.

It feels good as it is a small and tight package. As fl mentioned, the battery tray and housing is a little too small. The overall transition from the kt 5 doesn't seem like it'll be too tramatic.

I will get a chance to fiddle with it over the weekend, but unfortunately the manual is all in Japanese.

Are there any links to the ex ur manual in english?

Yaz- If not, is it possible for you to scan that english manual for the rest of us to look at?

Thanks.

parts

Flashsp-2
2008.02.06, 04:18 PM
pfc-I emailed RCmini-z to see if they can get an english translated manual, and the guy told me there are contacting KO about it. Their customer service is outstanding, so I will let you know when they come through...or Grant, Ruf, or somebody could scan it maybe :D

pfcparts
2008.02.06, 05:01 PM
Thanks fl.

I was just about to do that myself after emailing you. rcmz does have a great customer support group as most international Japanese sites do. I just wish they had cheaper options then EMS.

They put in a flier for the 2.4s... Sneaky. :D

parts

stitchy
2008.02.06, 05:03 PM
Can anyone tell me if KO is compatible with Futaba?
thanks!

yasuji
2008.02.06, 10:25 PM
pfc-I emailed RCmini-z to see if they can get an english translated manual, and the guy told me there are contacting KO about it. Their customer service is outstanding, so I will let you know when they come through...or Grant, Ruf, or somebody could scan it maybe :D
ill see what i can do .... ill ask my wife....lol

Flashsp-2
2008.02.07, 03:30 AM
ill see what i can do .... ill ask my wife....lol

Thanks Grant :D

schmenzer
2008.02.07, 03:48 PM
Guys,

My EX-1UR came with an English manual. There is probably a PDF on the web somewhere but not on the KO USA site yet. Maybe soon???

I should get to work with the new radio this weekend. More later!

Greg

Flashsp-2
2008.02.07, 04:24 PM
KO USA is waaaayyy behind. I already contacted them, and they didn't really try, they just told me to contact the store where I purchased it, which I did. Now I am just waiting for them to get back with me. I have checked KO Japan as well, and they don't have an online manual listed yet. It's a real pain waiting, because I know there is a lot more potential in both the car and the Tx once I figure this thing out:rolleyes:

ruf
2008.02.07, 05:11 PM
I can't imagine that the GUI is much different than the old Mars + a few more functions?

CristianTabush
2008.02.07, 06:15 PM
Can anyone tell me if KO is compatible with Futaba?
thanks!

I depends on what you are talking about as far as compatibility goes. Are you talking about the radio on 27mhz AM? Then yes. Receivers for FM/75 or 27mhz is a big no, and SS technology BIG NO.

stitchy
2008.02.07, 06:17 PM
I guess I'm referring to servo and ESC plugs. Sorry, I wasn't as specific as I should have been :D

schmenzer
2008.02.07, 06:28 PM
Guys,

Does any one know if the charging jack is JR polarity or Futaba/Hitec polarity? I am assuming it is like a JR but want to be sure before I switch to a rechargeable battery pack instead of using rechargeable AAs.

Even with the English version of the manual I couldn't find this!

Thanks,

Greg

CristianTabush
2008.02.07, 11:20 PM
Your question is not very clear. What specifically are you referring to when it comes to charging jack? DO you want to use a Hitec Charger on a KO Radio? All you need to do is use a multimeter to test this out. My guess is it has the same polarity as the JR if anything...

schmenzer
2008.02.08, 12:30 AM
Your question is not very clear. What specifically are you referring to when it comes to charging jack? DO you want to use a Hitec Charger on a KO Radio? All you need to do is use a multimeter to test this out. My guess is it has the same polarity as the JR if anything...

Well, I am referring to the jack on the KO that allows me to charge a "real" radio battery pack inside the radio using a wall wart or other charger instead of using AA batteries, even if they are rechargeable.

On other radios I have the charging jack on JR radios has the sleeve of the jack as the positive while the Hitec/Futaba has the sleeve as the negative. One is reversed from the other thus the polarity question. Which is it?

What I was hoping for was that someone knows for sure. I am guessing myself but the last thing I want to do on a new radio is to plug in the wrong polarity charger and blow a diode or something else.

I have several chargers with either polarity. Another issue is that the JR charge plug is not exactly the same size as Futaba/Hitec.

Better?

Greg

ruf
2008.02.16, 05:40 AM
IMPORTANT! If you go to "#ADJVOL", you can screw up the calibration of your radio! If you do, go to "#ADJVOL" and reset the limits of the steering and throttle. It might be a good thing to do anyways.

1) Scroll up until you find "#ADJVOL". Press Enter.
2) Make sure you aren't touching the wheel and press Enter. This sets the wheel center.
3) Steer all the way left and all the way right a few times. You will see the numbers change and peak hold. This sets the maximum throw values for the steering. Press Enter when the numbers don't get any bigger.
4) Make sure you aren't touching the throttle and press Enter. This sets the throttle center (neutral).
5) Press full throttle and full brake a few times. You will see the numbers change and peak hold. This sets the maximum throw values for the throttle. Press Enter when the numbers don't get any bigger.

pfcparts
2008.02.16, 02:18 PM
I was wondering why I couldn't adjust the volume (hate that annoying beep) lol. It had nothing to do with volume. :p

Man I need a manual.

Thanks ruf.

parts

mk2kompressor
2008.02.16, 02:49 PM
if it has tone control like the ex10 you can turn it all the way up(its to high to hear)

ruf
2008.02.16, 04:45 PM
"#BUZZER" adjusts the volume.

pinoyboy
2008.02.19, 05:40 PM
just got mine today!:D, got the basic stuff down, but hoping the have a English manual available online:p

Gigibesi
2008.02.20, 01:05 AM
is EX-1 UR have the same function as EX-10... as i thinnking of buying it cos the feal the better for me comapre to ex-10 (i have a small hand)

cazcade
2008.02.20, 06:42 AM
just got mine today!:D, got the basic stuff down, but hoping the have a English manual available online:p

Yeah me too. I've had the radio for two weeks now and I think ive got the hang of most settings. But it sure would be nice with a manual in english. Ive based everything so far on the Mars manual. It covers most of it.

pinoyboy
2008.02.20, 07:26 AM
Yeah me too. I've had the radio for two weeks now and I think ive got the hang of most settings. But it sure would be nice with a manual in english. Ive based everything so far on the Mars manual. It covers most of it.

I also started to figure out some the other stuff since I've been going off the Helios manual. I like it so far, the only thing I gotta get use to is the smaller wheel compared to my MX-A.

Flashsp-2
2008.02.20, 04:16 PM

I managed to get one from RCmini-z at an undisclosed price. They do sell them for 2000Y though.

CristianTabush
2008.02.20, 04:26 PM
I have am English manual :) It's terrible though... Total ENgrish...

pinoyboy
2008.02.20, 04:35 PM
I have am English manual :) It's terrible though... Total ENgrish...

Is it the same or worse than the Helios translation?

Gigibesi
2008.02.22, 08:22 AM
so which one i should go for Ex-1 or EX-10? both radio are great ...

soulstice
2008.02.22, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know if there is a reason why I have to get a new AM module specifically for the UR. Can I use the mini-z AM module from my helios on the UR?

pinoyboy
2008.02.22, 03:03 PM
Does anyone know if there is a reason why I have to get a new AM module specifically for the UR. Can I use the mini-z AM module from my helios on the UR?

I have the EX-1 UR and the helios AM module works fine;)

soulstice
2008.02.22, 03:08 PM
I have the EX-1 UR and the helios AM module works fine;)

I figured as much. Thanks for you answer.

I'd like to get the UR but I didn't want to have to replace everything.

Do you know if the helios FM module works (not the green AD band but the regular black FM)?

pinoyboy
2008.02.22, 03:14 PM
I figured as much. Thanks for you answer.

I'd like to get the UR but I didn't want to have to replace everything.

Do you know if the helios FM module works (not the green AD band but the regular black FM)?

I can only confirm the mini Z AM and AD modules work with the UR, no experience with other modules:o

Flashsp-2
2008.02.22, 07:00 PM

I can check and get back with you, I have the 75mhz FM module that I am using for something else, so I hope it works.

soulstice
2008.02.24, 03:17 PM
I have a few more questions for anyone who has one . . .

1. Is the control knob made from aluminum or is it plastic?

2. Also does anyone have a picture of a size comparison to a helios?

3. Does anyone have the angle extension add on and do you have a picture?

4. Would the helios angle extension work on this, is it compatible?

ruf
2008.02.25, 02:12 AM
1) plastic. It does have the neat internal throw adjustment feature.
2) much smaller. I'd say 85%? no pics.
3) iirc, the mars only has a straight drop extension - not angle. Cristian used to run one religiously, though I prefer the standard location.
4) no.

pinoyboy
2008.02.28, 05:35 PM
how nice of them, they sent me a photo copy of the entire English manual:D

ruf
2008.02.28, 08:53 PM
Robert @ KO is the man. It is usually VERY taboo to support a grey-market imported item. KO America made no money from the purchase of that radio, but they are still using their resources to help out. You can't get much better than that. :D

simalive
2008.03.18, 11:35 AM
Finally got a chance to install the drop-down set for my EX-1UR. Had a look at the internal mechanisms of the wheel while I was at it too. Here’re some pics.

The throw of the drop-down is identical with the original location, which is significantly lighter than the Helios. Took a bit of getting used to, but feels quite natural once I do.

You’ll also see in the pic that there’s an extra little tab button right in front of the thumb area – which is an alternate button for the BT1 switch.

simalive
2008.03.19, 08:46 AM
Hmm..don't know why the pics aren't showing up on my previous post. Here they are again attached.

pinoyboy
2008.03.29, 05:21 PM
I picked up a helios fm 75mhz module used. Its either a bad one, or its not compatible with the EX-I

simalive
2008.03.29, 08:59 PM
I picked up a helios fm 75mhz module used. Its either a bad one, or its not compatible with the EX-I

Not sure if yours is a bad one or because it's a 75mhz, but I've recently tested a Helios FM 27mhz module for my 1/10 buggy and it's working fine.

ocean rodeo
2008.03.29, 11:25 PM
Hey guys I have a question. When the 2.4 module releases for the UR will the reverse be applied the same way as the 18? I had my 2.4 for about a few weeks and I am giving up on it because the reverse sucks and it's very frustrating especially when your racing. I tried to dial it to react faster but the delay, I hate it.

Flashsp-2
2008.03.30, 12:30 AM

Must be a bad one, mine works fine with both the KR 302F 75mHz and a GWS micro 75mHz (just had to dial the speed down a bit on this one to keep the servo from spazzing).

pinoyboy
2008.03.30, 09:17 AM
Must be a bad one, mine works fine with both the KR 302F 75mHz and a GWS micro 75mHz (just had to dial the speed down a bit on this one to keep the servo from spazzing).

hmm, maybe I should try a ko rx? The guy said the module wasn't used, but who knows:confused:

ruf
2008.03.30, 08:00 PM
Check your response settings.

herman
2008.03.31, 05:45 AM
Hey guys I have a question. When the 2.4 module releases for the UR will the reverse be applied the same way as the 18? I had my 2.4 for about a few weeks and I am giving up on it because the reverse sucks and it's very frustrating especially when your racing. I tried to dial it to react faster but the delay, I hate it.

for adjusting the reverse, check out this thread http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27704

as for the new module... i just can't say... but hope it will be better than the kt-18...

- hope this helps... :D

Gigibesi
2008.03.31, 06:29 AM
Finally got a chance to install the drop-down set for my EX-1UR. Had a look at the internal mechanisms of the wheel while I was at it too. Here’re some pics.

The throw of the drop-down is identical with the original location, which is significantly lighter than the Helios. Took a bit of getting used to, but feels quite natural once I do.

You’ll also see in the pic that there’s an extra little tab button right in front of the thumb area – which is an alternate button for the BT1 switch.

is it hard to install the drop down thing?

Tjay
2008.05.05, 06:22 PM
From what I've read, AM and AD module will work on this new radio. Since ASF module is already out in Japan... Do any of you guys know if the ASF module is compatible with this radio?

Thanks!

pinoyboy
2008.05.05, 06:27 PM
From what I've read, AM and AD module will work on this new radio. Since ASF module is already out in Japan... Do any of you guys know if the ASF module is compatible with this radio?

Thanks!

I've used the AM and AD band modules for helios with this TC with no problems. The only one I had problems with is the FM version, but I think its my fault for not using a compatible rx:o

The new ASF modules should work fine

Tjay
2008.05.05, 06:35 PM
thanks pinoyboy/srt4 ;)! Now, all I have to do is take my wife to dinner and slowly tell her how important it is for me to have this radio :D! :lol:

thanks tjay/ms3 :P!

Tjay
2008.05.20, 04:31 PM
I finally got my new EX-1 UR yesterday :D! I tried it on my AD board w/ Helio AD module.

Here's what I like;

-compact/fits my hand perfectly
-radio feels balance with AA or li-po batts unlike the Helio, top heavy.
-small pouch for my lil diff tools and allen wrench
-nice sterring wheels. JDM volk racing ;)
-first thing I did when I bought my helio was adjusted the steering wheel to less tension... the kt-18's steering tension that I've been running for quite sometime feels the same as the UR. Less spring tension on the steering.
-adjustable steering radius. This is great for small tracks with mod cars.
-adjustable throttle
-30 memory!
-small steering wheel unlike the Helios... on dubs.

What I don't like as of now;

-small ass screen
-green color monitor?
-led blue light! It's hard to see where the buttons are with this thing blinding your eyes.
-the antenna... can you remove this thing? I took mine off and the lock came off. I had to open/dis-assemble my new radio to put the antenna lock back on.

The thing I noticed the most was the throttle curve... With my Helios, I can't really tell if the throttle curve's been adjusted already or not so what I end up doing is mess around with the high point. With the EX-1 UR, you can definitely tell the lag on the throttle even if I only put -15 on it. Could it be the 2-channel/ ADV feature? Maybe?

babstar
2008.05.22, 03:10 PM
Hi Guys,

After reading this thread I got so excited, also with teh switch to 2,4 I wanted a tx that could support both.

So I got mine a couple of weeks ago and yestreday teh RF-104A module for AM arrived, so I hooked them up, put the crystal in, , turned it on, did the modification config. that came with the module, perfekt responce but all mirrord!!! so forward > car goes backwards, left sterr > car goes right, etc. I was trying to find a left/rigthhand setting on it but I cant, anybody had this befor?

help is much needed thx.

EDIT:

Found it, T and S:Reverse !!! pfft why sell it in reverse mode??? beats me!

So for anyone having the same problem look in pages 18 and 26 of the manual!

grtz.

JOSEC
2008.07.16, 06:15 PM
Hi friends my new ex-1 ur with asf module arrived this morning to mi house and i trying setting to my cars now.
Can any share basicals settings configurations to start with my new radio, like brakes,abs(if works) etc..?

GREETINGS from Spain...:)

Tjay
2008.07.16, 06:22 PM
Steering balance 50-53
Steering travel 100%
Throttle normal
Steering normal

JOSEC
2008.07.16, 06:35 PM
Thank you very much for your Quick response :-)

GREETINGS FRIEND.

Tjay
2008.07.16, 07:12 PM
^ you're welcome. If you need anything, I'm pretty much here all day :D.

Btw, if not default, do Channel2 and adv respond also.

Welcome to the forum!

limbohz
2008.07.17, 12:32 AM
thanks for the setup tj!

i ordered mine and i can't wait to get it :D when i tried someone's EX-1, it was so light that i'm thinking i no longer have to do excessive lateral raise and biceps curls to keep my controller up during raises. haha :p

bermbuster
2008.07.20, 05:35 PM
one of the trickest features of the TX (it has many)
you can limit the steering wheel turn for a shorter stroke.
This way your fingers dont work as hard as well.
Under the foam on the wheel is two holes. You insert a hex wrench into the holes and you can limit the travel. Once you do this you re reference the potieniometer and now your set to race....
Im loving my UR-1.....

JOSEC
2008.07.21, 06:36 AM
hi friends, what is the your configuration for brakes? Thank you very much..

GREETINGS FROM SPAIN...
P.S This radio haves a Veeeeery good response...:)

stuZ
2008.08.19, 02:47 AM
I just got mine and love the functionality of the thing.

I have been having fun playing with the 2 way steering speed, 3 way throttle speed and the ABS. So far I just set everything to 80-90%, and it helps.

I'm sure there is way more to these features than 'set to 80-90%',
and I'd be curious to hear how (if at all) you guys use these features.

Hekyl
2008.12.02, 10:45 AM
Anybody want to give up their settings?

bermbuster
2008.12.02, 07:16 PM
im not home (travel for work) ill give the set ups no problem on Friday.
First off you should do the steering wheel adjustment (shorten the throw...for less movement) Then adjust the throttle trigger....It is an awesome TX....

stuZ
2008.12.03, 01:03 AM
I've had a while to get to know mine.
It definitely depends from car to car, but I always start with
s. travel 85% (keeps your car from turning too sharp)
s. curve -15% (creates a 'dead spot' in the center of your steering)
t. brake 85% (allows your car to coast more when you let off the t.)
t. curve: fwd -10% bak -25% (more 'tip of throttle' control)

after that I mess with the t. speed and t. abs, but that's just fine tuning,
and kind of overkill, at least at the beginning.
The more I use it, the more I think it's the best thing in my collection.

Gigibesi
2008.12.09, 10:45 PM
can i know whether that wheel spring tension on UR can be changed just like the EX-10 where i prefer harder steering?

JacobFeinstein
2008.12.11, 12:01 AM
You can adjust for harder wheel tension but only by cutting the spring.

Gigibesi
2008.12.12, 10:18 AM
You can adjust for harder wheel tension but only by cutting the spring.

that make me turn disadvantage toward EX-10 which is adjustable without those cutting thing..... the steering extension fixed??

ianc
2008.12.12, 04:32 PM
Just talked my fiancee into buying me one for xmas. Can't wait.

In the interim, if anyone can post or email a copy of the manual in English, that would help me get a jump on things so I'm not standing around on xmas day trying to figure it out. :D

Thanks all,

ianc

JacobFeinstein
2008.12.13, 12:23 AM
It is a little more trouble to adjust but I personally think it is worth it because the radio fits better in my hand. And yes, the wheel extension is fixed.

ianc
2008.12.26, 10:59 PM
OK, I just got this thing yesterday and have been fiddling with it since then.

The manual came in English, but as Christian says, it is 'Engrish'. Example: pg. 35, 'Exciting the throttle' (whatever that is...): '"Excitation" of throttle made by superior users is automatically added. Cornering speed can be improved.' Basically it's understandable, but not very explanatory.

A few comments about the radio, then some questions:

1) The menu system is extremely clunky. To get to a particular function, you'll likely have to press the down or up arrow keys about 20x from any particular spot. A better system would be to divide them up into 'throttle', 'steering', and 'Miscellaneous'. Or whatever. There should be a top menu key to let you select one of these categories, then you can cycle through them, instead of having to repeatedly hit up and down.

2) The battery box is pathetic. I had to carefully pry mine out with a screwdriver just so I could get the batteries in the thing. The method of connection from the battery box to the radio is not all that impressive either. I think they really want you to buy the battery pack, so you can take 16 or 17 hours to charge it.

3) When selecting a model, the name appears for about half a second on the LCD, then goes away for 5 sec, then fleetingly appears again. WHY? Just make the name solid on, so I can see what the hell I'm doing! Also, they should show the current model in the selection choices. Confusing that they don't. I'm thinking "where's the GT40?" Then I realize that's the currently selected model, so not shown. Also, the down arrow key should move to a lower model #, and up should go to the next highest #. Instead, this is backwards from what would be expected.

4) The radio itself is a bit heavy, but fits the hand well and is comfortable to use.

5) Build quality appears top notch, with everything fitting well (except for the battery box) and working smoothly.

6) In the front strut of the radio is a little box with a tiny plastic screwdriver. Handy. Except that the cover fits so tightly that I have to use a little screwdriver to open the panel so that I can get to the little screwdriver. Not so handy.

7) Pairing was very easy and the radio offers a great amount of tweaking options to custom tailor control to any of your cars. Still experimenting with these.

8) Some features such as 'idleup' and 'autostart' are really geared more toward gas powered cars than electric.

9) The buttons and switches have a nice feel, but one could wish for a button or switch that was more accessible when the hands are positioned in the driving position to activate the 'count laps' button, etc.

Now for a couple questions:

1) Pg. 14 in the manual: Adjusting the steering angle. This describes removing the sponge from the wheel and using a 2 mm allen key to tighten some screws inside. What is being accomplished with this? Can anyone explain it?

2) The ABS settings seem useful, but I'd like to have a place to start. Anyone want to share their settings for various cars? I have a couple of 86 mm Porsches that love to swap ends on hard braking so I'd like to set them up with ABS...

3) Anyone found the speed settings for steering and throttle helpful? What problems did these help you overcome? Or is it just fun to play with them? :)

Overall, it seems like a great radio, and I've put my KT-18 back in the box. Have yet to try it on the track, but will in a couple days...

ianc

JacobFeinstein
2008.12.27, 01:04 AM
1) Pg. 14 in the manual: Adjusting the steering angle. This describes removing the sponge from the wheel and using a 2 mm allen key to tighten some screws inside. What is being accomplished with this? Can anyone explain it?

This feature allows you to adjust the amount of travel the wheel has from side to side.

color01
2008.12.27, 03:47 AM
Ian, got some responses for you. :)

1) Pressing the Func/Back button more than once will let you scroll through the Steering, Throttle, and then Misc section of the options.

6) If you press your thumb on the lower half of the toolbox cover, the top half will come out and you can open the toolbox that way. I was confused at first too, but then TJ made me feel stupid by going *pop* *that's it!* :o

9) You can use ET5 (left thumb, under the dual rate wheel) I think, just because it's an up/down button shouldn't mean that you can't assign a single function to one side of it. I think.

Q3) Don't mess with steering speed unless your car is REALLY twitchy. Otherwise you'll need the quick steering to negotiate race traffic. You can turn down throttle speed a bit if you spin heading into or exiting a corner. It softens up the throttle input a bit to make the car feel a bit more stable. I only used this one day at Inside Line Racing when it was near-freezing and the track had no grip. Otherwise, I put Quick Response to 120% for both throttle and steering, and S. Speed and T. Speed to 100%.

ianc
2008.12.27, 05:07 AM
This feature allows you to adjust the amount of travel the wheel has from side to side.

Jacob, thanks! I get it now... :D

Pressing the Func/Back button more than once will let you scroll through the Steering, Throttle, and then Misc section of the options.

Color, my bad and you are completely correct!

If you press your thumb on the lower half of the toolbox cover, the top half will come out and you can open the toolbox that way

Like magic! You rule!

You can use ET5 (left thumb, under the dual rate wheel) I think

I maintain this can't be pressed reliably when you're at part throttle conditions. At least I can't... Where it really needs to be is on the back side where your thumb rests.

Don't mess with steering speed unless your car is REALLY twitchy

Ah, my AWD is insanely twitchy. I was hoping to address this with the steering curve function. Would that not give a more predictable response than altering speed settings for various portions of the steering curve? Dunno, will have to try it...

As for my own #3, this can be mitigated by simply entering the name of the model over and over. There is a limit of 16 characters for the model name. So for example, if your model is called 934, you can just edit the name and type in:

934 934 934

and you'll see 934 scrolling by enough times to actually see what it says.

Thanks for the help guys,

ianc

color01
2008.12.27, 05:40 AM
I prefer to adjust the steering curve and total travel rather than speed. Good example, my MRCG. After I put the 2007 350Z body on, it just didn't feel aggressive enough no matter what I did, so in the end I turned up the steering curve to +45. Made the car a little sensitive on the straight, but it felt awesome in the infield and that's all I wanted.

Now I'm back to the SC430 and that's too aggressive, so I can crank steering curve back to 0. Better than turning down the steering speed, because this way I don't lose any response time, I just tone down the car's dynamics.

If your AWD is that twitchy I would try turning the steering curve to -20 and seeing what results. If you have more than enough steering you could also turn down the dual rate along with the steering curve.

I'm currently using ET5 as the lap timer button, and BT1 to start it off. My hands are medium-sized and I can comfortably hit the ET5 button when I'm on the straight at full throttle. BT1 is definitely in a bad place though, I have to use my thumbnail. :confused:

Edit: Now that I play with it a bit more, I can't seem to hit Enter when at the #Adjvol function. I'd like to be able to reset my pot at least, I've reduced the physical travel of the wheel a heck of a lot.

stuZ
2008.12.27, 08:07 PM
I don't get the lap timer thing at all.

also, my hands are kind of big, so I have to let my pinkie hang outside of the grip.

I adjust my S. Travel to about 80-90% and S. Curve to -15-20%

JacobFeinstein
2008.12.28, 12:07 AM
Edit: Now that I play with it a bit more, I can't seem to hit Enter when at the #Adjvol function. I'd like to be able to reset my pot at least, I've reduced the physical travel of the wheel a heck of a lot.

Brian: Just hold the ENTER button down, it takes a few seconds.

ianc: Glad you understand it better, its really a lot easier to use than many people think on a first impression.

color01
2008.12.28, 12:51 AM
Ah, got it. Thanks Jacob!

Gigibesi
2008.12.30, 11:41 AM
can i know eather the Ex-1 UR is

1.Able to program a custom menu snince the screen is small and most of time is cluttered?
2. is it any way of changing the wheel tension since it is unadjustable unlike Ex-10 (i prefer it harder then the stock)
3.is it able to fit module designed for Ex-10 or older Ko ko radio (for example super module etc). Or i need a totally new module (AM,FM 2.4) for EX-1 UR?
4. is there any way of making it heavier (can i put those weight on it?)?

JacobFeinstein
2008.12.31, 01:27 AM
Gigibesi,

1. I don't believe the menu interface is adjustable in any way.

2. The only way to increase the wheel tension is to take the wheel assembly apart and cut a coil off the spring. It is more trouble but works just as well.

3. Modules for the EX-10 Helios will work, in addition to modules for older radios with the same case as the EX-1 UR, such as the Mars, Mars R, etc.

4. The best place to add weight is probably under the small panel under the ON/OFF switch. Just pry it off and there should be enough space to add a decent amount of weight.

stuZ
2008.12.31, 02:03 AM
does anybody have any experience with spektrum modules and receivers with this radio?

ianc
2008.12.31, 06:25 PM
Here's another little quirk:

If you have a motor with the magnets installed backwards so that it runs in reverse when wired up to the correct terminals on the board, you cannot just reverse the throttle direction on the UR-1, or you will have reverse instead of brakes and the delay when trying to accelerate. This didn't happen with the KT18, but does seem to with the UR. The cure is to reverse the power wires from the motor to the board, then it will work as expected.

ianc

Gigibesi
2009.01.01, 11:32 AM
is it possible to change the steering spring from old kyosho KT-2 controller to the EX-1 UR? is it possible to open the spiring part without screwing up the whole thing?

color01
2009.01.01, 06:07 PM
If you have a motor with the magnets installed backwards so that it runs in reverse when wired up to the correct terminals on the board, you cannot just reverse the throttle direction on the UR-1, or you will have reverse instead of brakes and the delay when trying to accelerate. This didn't happen with the KT18, but does seem to with the UR. The cure is to reverse the power wires from the motor to the board, then it will work as expected.
So it runs in reverse whether or not your Tx throttle control is norm or reversed? That's definitely an odd one. However, reversing the control on the KT18 would just make the car brake first, then accelerate when you pulled the trigger. The board has its own programming, which makes it do that when you try to compensate for a reversed motor.

ianc
2009.01.02, 02:38 AM
So it runs in reverse whether or not your Tx throttle control is norm or reversed?

No, it gives the expected direction of fwd and rev when reversed on the radio, it just goes straight from fwd to rev with no brake (car instantly swaps ends), then requires the delay going from rev to fwd.

Let me put this straight: if you have the magnets in your can upside down (for example), your motor will run backwards from the expected\needed direction even though you have correctly wired it to the board. Hence, when you pull the throttle trigger, you reverse. You can cure the direction of motion issue by reversing the throttle, but you're still left with the 'goes straight from fwd to rev with no brake' and and the fwd delay issues.

Swapping the motor wires on the PCB cures this. Or did for me...

ianc

color01
2009.01.02, 03:21 AM
Ah ok, so basically the car runs backwards, and we're talking about the exact same condition. It's the board's fault. ;)

Question about Steering Quick Response: on a hacked Futaba servo (my MRCG) I can turn this up to 120% and it's fine, but on my MA010 anything over 30% and the servo starts acting erratically. Over 60-70% and I'm starting to worry about the servo. Any advice?

ianc
2009.01.02, 04:39 AM
on my MA010 anything over 30% and the servo starts acting erratically. Over 60-70% and I'm starting to worry about the servo. Any advice?

My 2.4 LM does this. I just turn off QR for steering (not throttle). You don't really need it I'm thinking...

ianc

Felix2010
2009.01.03, 11:39 AM
Ah ok, so basically the car runs backwards, and we're talking about the exact same condition. It's the board's fault. ;)

Question about Steering Quick Response: on a hacked Futaba servo (my MRCG) I can turn this up to 120% and it's fine, but on my MA010 anything over 30% and the servo starts acting erratically. Over 60-70% and I'm starting to worry about the servo. Any advice?

Brian - I had KO Propo Staff reply to me on here, and they had this to say about 2.4ghz signal problems:

It has been brought to my attention that when using the 2.4GHz module you must have the following settings in your Tx.

1. Steering Travel Max 70
2. Steering Balance Max 70%
3. Throttle High Point Max 60
4. Throttle Brake Max 60
5. Quick ST & TH in the EX-1 UR cannot be used.

Setting your Tx above the max settings may cause the vehicle to operate incorrectly.

For example, recently we have ad a few customers say their car will not go into reverse. If the throttle settings are not set to the above settings, yes it will not go into reverse because the max endpoint settings for the ESC will get goofed-up. Some modules may get away with it, but most will not operate correctly.

Please check your settings. I have found that with the above settings, the cars do respond better.

Note point #5. I own a Helios so this doesn't apply to me. But I had a strange glitchin'/loss-of-signal prob with my Helios+2.4 module when running my 2.4ghz Mini-Zs. I tried these settings that KO recommended first; But the signal gremlins returned. As it turns out, I bought a new module and my glitching & "loss of signal" problem was resolved. Guess the RF901-SM I had must have been defective (It was an early-production module). I have used these recommended Throttle + Steering settings though with my new module+Helios just in case there's something to it. So far so good.

color01
2009.01.03, 07:11 PM
Can't use Quick steering or throttle? But I really like quick throttle, and quick steering makes the MRCG feel better. I'll try out the cars with and without, I guess. Turning up the steering curve and throttle punch seems to have a similar effect as turning up quick response, so I'll play with that.

Felix2010
2009.01.04, 12:21 AM
Brian, I don't know what to tell ya my good man... That's the info I got from KO. Since you've been using both Q.ST and Q/TH on your MRCG/ w/Futaba servo and you like it, then I would just keep using it. But with the MA010, I guess try shutting off Q.ST & Q.TH and see if it makes any difference.

Can I ask you a question though - What is the difference you feel when using Q.TH + Q.ST with your MRCG compared to not using Q.TH + Q.ST ?
Just curious since I don't own an EX-1UR.

BTW - Just a quick congrats on your MRCG project making it to market. Very cool, I know that you put an s-load of time and effort into the project. I'm glad it is paying off.

ianc
2009.01.04, 03:09 AM
Can I ask you a question though - What is the difference you feel when using Q.TH + Q.ST with your MRCG compared to not using Q.TH + Q.ST ?

For myself, I don't feel much really... This would be a tuning feature like a lot of the other ones, but I think there reaches a point where the reaction time of a radio is not the bottleneck in a particular driving situation... I'm using scurve to deaden or enliven the steering as needed. Seems to be working well. Have not played with speed yet...

ianc

color01
2009.01.04, 05:03 PM
Because it's a Mini-Z board driving the Futaba servo in the MRCG, without Quick ST the servo is slower than a standard Z's servo. So I turn Quick ST all the way to 120% and steering feels like the MA010's with Quick ST at 30%. Throttle feels sluggish without Quick TH set to at least 30%. But it's too sharp at 120% (feels like I put TH Punch to 100%) so I normally set Quick TH between 30-60%.

Quick response feels a lot like adding punch, actually, but with a bit less lag. I tend to like it better than punch, but I guess I'll play around with punch, because the MA010 seems to be glitching a bit in my dorm room with Quick ST and TH. Which seems a bit weird, because the MRCG is fine though they use the same model ASF board. :confused:

Thanks btw, I'm also glad my many sleepless nights have paid off. :D

totalazneclipse
2009.06.24, 09:29 PM
For those that need a digital copy of the manual:

http://www.kopropo.co.jp/pdf/EX-1URManual_E.pdf

Enjoy!