PDA

View Full Version : Widest and lightest body for MR015?

Cherub1m
2008.01.23, 10:31 AM
Hi Anyone

Just wondering what is the widest and lightest body for the MRO15 chassis. The MR015 chassis have a tendency to tip under hard cornering.

Thank you
Cherub1m

hrdrvr
2008.01.23, 11:54 AM
NSX, enzo, 575 gpc to name a few wide ones. Im not sure their weight though.

Does it need to be an 015 specific body, or just one that will fit?

HammerZ
2008.01.23, 01:41 PM
I would go with the Lamborghini LP400 as it is a low body with a little bit of offset. The LP500 is an MR02 offset car that is only 1 mm more offset. I have not run mine so I don't know for sure how it runs. I do know it will limit you on disk dampners and those setups with the body that low.

k_bojar
2008.01.23, 10:45 PM
I liked the Ferrari 250GT on mine - fairly low and had a ton of steering...

I only got it to flip over 1 time, and that was with a head of steam, turned too tight and clipped the inner barrier..

I just got one of the '91 GTR's, so we'll see how that works out...I've seen the GTI work out very well (I like it myself, but the ferrari was better), especially once you swap out the HM for the RM mount :)

Some of the guys up in Staten Island have had good luck with the Nissan Fairladys and the 300C's

EMU
2008.01.23, 11:28 PM
Where are you planning to race this? SI/NJ? The SI rules disallow an MR01 body that can be run on an MR02 without modification.

The Corvette C5R is the widest official MR01 body. Although, it is mainly used for MR02 nowadays. It is also disallowed for our MR015 class.

Which leads to the Porsche 935, being the current widest MR015 body. Although with such a short wheelbase, it doesnt have as much power on steering as you may want. It is very stable, and doesnt roll as much as the 934 since it has wider offsets.

The Lamborghini Miura (Jota) is a wide one as well. I havent tried it, but it looks like a good running body from what I have seen at ARCMS.

I am currently using an Altezza :P But have had great results with the 350Z with 94mm MM motormount and the 300c. I still want to try an R32 or GTI with the MM setup.

I find the 94mm bodies with the MM mount work better than the 90mm RM setups with our stock motor class. With the upgrade motors, RM isnt too bad.

I couldnt get the RX7 FD3S to handle to my liking. I finished 2nd or 3rd a few times... but the Altezza finished first in its debut race last saturday against some good competition. I dont necessarily think that the Altezza is the best body, just that the general setup under it is able to carry more speed. I would only look for 94mm 015 bodies.

I ran the LP400 for a while, it handles quite well, until you rub a wall. Any wall contact will spin you like a top since the corners are so sharp. That was the only reason why I stopped racing it. It is very competetive with the 94mm MM setups.

Cherub1m
2008.01.24, 12:06 AM
Thanks for all the informations guys.

I already have the Porshe 935 Martini. My only concern with it was it has a tendency to push. My guess is the big spoiler in the back makes is rear heavy and top heavy (hence more proned to tip over). After reading everyone advice I went and got the 934 Jeagermierster and believe it or not I am able to fit a +3 offset in the rear( i get no rubbing) and reduced the front to +1 offset from +1.5. It seems to be more nibble in the corners and has less push then the 935. for the class i plan on running i have to use a 015 body. I plan on running this 015 Porshe 935 or 934 body only class at MHS hobbies. And if i ever get to Al's place at Staten Island on time I may run the spec motor 015 class there. With the spec motor the car will not flip. Currenly i have a speedy 05 (i may put a Speedy 07) that gives it a lot more speed, so you have to baby it on some on the corners (especialy if there are some small bumps). Other thing I noticed, the alum wheels seem to make the 015 more stable (less tipping) I thought it would cause more tipping so i changed it to some atomic wheels of the same offset and i was tipping like crazy. I agree with you EMU about a longer wheel base 015 body, I may try one in the future.

Thanks again everyone for your input
Cherub1m

Cherub1m
2008.01.25, 10:17 AM
Hi Everyone

Well, during the 015 Porshe class I noticed the +1 offset front and +3 offset rear on the 935 gave me to much steering and I would tip (the "tricycle effect") I went with the hard H-plate and noticed more stability but still got some tipping. I got some atomic dome wheels +2 for the front and +3 for the rear (stock is +2.5 and +3 respectively also, the diameter of the stock rears are to big I am worried about ride hight) we will see how that works. I hope I dont rub the front tires off, if I hit the wall. At home on my basement carpet I notice more stability and less tipping with that set up on the 935. An interesting point, I noticed the 934 is able to run this +2 front and +3 rear set-up only problem is the front tires rub. However, by reducing the steering and doing a little trimming I think that will help. I dont believe the rear suspension will move enough (especialy with the hard H-plate) to rub the rear tire. Only testing at the track will tell, and again hope the front tires dont rub off when i hit a wall :D

Thank you
Cherub1m

EMU
2008.01.25, 12:25 PM
Just so you know, the stock Kyosho motor is not a slow motor. With a 9t, I pass many cars with Speedy 05/07 on the straight during practice. It just lacks the torque and brakes that the upgrade motors have. The top end is as good if not better. And the roll is very good. As long as you setup the car to have a lot of corner speed, it could be competetive even in a field of 05/07's.

Our 015's still have issues of flipping... I try to setup my 015's so that I can try to drive them as aggressively as I can without ever having to worry about flipping. Just in case I need to push 100%. I normally drive at about 80% for consistancy reasons. The roll and lack of torque makes it a bit easier to push the car harder than with the upgraded motors.

herman
2008.01.25, 09:31 PM
Just so you know, the stock Kyosho motor is not a slow motor.
toatally agree with emu on that one... when i visited ars circuit in japan... i just couldn't believe that they were using stock motors... i guess it just the way that they prep them... :D

michvin
2008.01.26, 01:13 AM
MM motor mount. Solve all of the above problems. It leaves you with single possible body - the Chrysler. This car is also prone to flipping, but the process is different from RM. With RM you have to stay on throttle through the turn and cant really get of it. If you do it will flip. I need to say that our track has a long straight with a sweeper in the end of it: car gains significant speed when it turns. With MM you can actually slow down and take the turn nicely.
One more thing: you talk about offsets, but never mention which tires you're running. Flipping IS in the tires (and weight distribution) - Offset has much less to do with it.

Cherub1m
2008.01.28, 07:07 AM
Hi Guys

Great to hear the stock motor is just has competive has a 05 or 07 with the right set up (I have a few of the stock motor all broken-in but not run yet :D).

I run PN 20 degree fronts and pn 8 degree rears, red PN front springs, Atomic hard H plate, and the Kyosho dapner plate with no top shock. I experimented and so far Its hard to tell which is more stable the 934 or the 935. Only difference i can tell is the 935 seems a little heavier (specificaly rear heavy) but seems more stable in the straights and the 934 is lighter and maybe a little more nibble around the turns. I am also running +1 offset all around on the 934 and +2 offset all aroun on the 935. I agree with you Michvin about offset. I ran the 935 with +1 all around and did not notice any difference.

I have a question for all you MR 015 Masters. What tire compound have you guys found to work best and reduce flipping with the 015?

Thank you
Cherub1m

EMU
2008.01.28, 10:55 AM
I run Kyosho 20 wide slcks in the rear. Front tires you will have to experiment. Try Kyosho 30slick, 3Racing 10d (wear them in a little first on an 02), Atomic 30 slick. What works on our track probably will not work at yours. Our track has different grip than any other RCP I have driven on.

I am using the 3Racing 10d tires on the front of my 015. I have found them to be one of the best 015 tires at ARCMS. I havent tried them at MHS, but I believe I had to run a softer front compound when I was running my 02 there. So you may want to try the K30 or the A30 slicks. The PN tires have their own tire rating, I dont use them much because of that. Its hard to know what they are equivalent to... But you can try the 18 slicks. Its almost like the 10=20, 15=25, 18=30, 20=35 in kyosho/atomic hardness. I find Kyosho and Atomic are fairly close in grip. I have found that the PN front tires dont really have the grip I am looking for in 02. Although, it may just be our track conditions. The Kyosho 20 fronts have more bite than the PN 10s.

Also try going with a harder front spring. You dont really want the body to roll as much, that will lead to flipping.

Cherub1m
2008.01.29, 07:03 AM
Hi EMU

Thanks for the information. Ill try some of your recommended set up.

Thanks
Cherub1m

rc100722
2008.02.19, 06:36 PM
i have the porsch body and i lowered the body on my 15 now can drive it like my 02 with out tipping check it out
http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e106/rc100722/th_S5032469.jpg
tucking

Ninja
2008.02.19, 09:49 PM
when I raced an 01 (015 basic dynamics) I had a narrow body R34 and I had no springs at all in the front, just a stock front wheel bushing on top of each knuckle to limit upward travel. The car would fly, and could handle the 90* turns on our RCP wide open, while carrying the inside front tire around the apex. I got stupid, and traded it off for an x-mod truck. I hate myself for it ever time I think about building another 01, or an 015

Slubben
2008.02.20, 09:20 AM
I am looking for a mount/dampner that I can use on my 015 Shelby Cobra body that will work without having to cut a hole in the body. Doesn't have to be something race worth but, I would like to be able to get it around the track fairly well. Thanks

TheRinger
2008.02.20, 07:48 PM
I am looking for a mount/dampner that I can use on my 015 Shelby Cobra body that will work without having to cut a hole in the body. Doesn't have to be something race worth but, I would like to be able to get it around the track fairly well. Thanks
Atomic sells a rml damper system that will work without modifying the body, the only problem is U have to buy a atomic 90mm motor pod to use it with the cobra because there are no adjustments on the rml damper system to let U do different wheel bases do to the design of the rml damper system.

TheRinger
2008.02.20, 07:59 PM
Hi Anyone

Just wondering what is the widest and lightest body for the MRO15 chassis. The MR015 chassis have a tendency to tip under hard cornering.

Thank you
Cherub1m

In all honesty, The best body I have used on an mr015 is the porcshe 911GT3. The 934 and 935 work well but didn't seem to work as well as the 911GT3. The clk benz works good also. I want to try the ferarri 355 body but I can't find one anywhere.

EMU
2008.02.25, 01:21 AM
In all honesty, The best body I have used on an mr015 is the porcshe 911GT3. The 934 and 935 work well but didn't seem to work as well as the 911GT3. The clk benz works good also. I want to try the ferarri 355 body but I can't find one anywhere.
I have to disagree on the 911GT3. I have never gotton a 90mm body to run nearly as well as my 94mm setup. I have had good results with the Audi TT, RX7 FD3S, LP400, 250GTO, Cobra Daytona... The LP400 was the best out of all of these bodies, as long as you could keep it off the walls. It is VERY light, and low. The Porsche 911 was alright, but not as good as any of the ones listed above, with very similar setups.

I am currently running the 350z fairlady, which is the fastest 94mm body I run. I use the Altezza and VW R32 with the same setup, and it runs well, but I cant push as hard. I am going to try the Europa next week. Its been sitting on the shelf at the local track for at least a year...

The only way I would run another 90mm body, is if I get the 355. I have wanted it for a while :P Although I would have to find the unpainted version, I really dont like the Autoscales for racing. Way too fragile.

You can get a 355 autoscale at HLJ /product/KSHMZX19R
Use the faster shipping... or you will wait for a month or two... I got a Porsche 962 Autoscale from them in less than 2 weeks with EMS shipping, my Audi unpainted body took about 2 months with SAL. HLJ used to be MUCH cheaper, about $18 for an ASC, and $10 for the unpainted bodies... Now its about the same or a little more expensive than what you would get stateside, but you can get some hard to find items...

Slubben
2008.02.25, 11:11 AM
Atomic makes two 90mm mounts. One for DPS and one that isn't for DPS. Which one works with the RML dampner?

EMU
2008.02.25, 11:43 AM
I have only used the older one, with 2 posts. I think they are very similar, except that they replaced the posts to make it a one piece design. Both should work.

Slubben
2008.02.25, 12:56 PM
Thanks! I already have one of those pods, the one that isn't for DPS.

TheRinger
2008.03.15, 11:28 PM
I finally got a 355 a it drives good. The only way I could get it was unpainted.