PDA

View Full Version : Best mod motor?

pooiswyked
2008.02.10, 11:51 AM
Given no limit on FETS what is the hottest Mini motor available? I've looked at the all the Atomic models and have settled down in between the Chili R Evolution or the Atomic T2/Z2. Moeny is no issue. Just looking for insane brushed speed. Thanks!

NOMOTORLIMIT
2008.02.11, 03:08 PM
What's your application? Track, top speed?

yasuji
2008.02.11, 04:09 PM
Given no limit on FETS what is the hottest Mini motor available? I've looked at the all the Atomic models and have settled down in between the Chili R Evolution or the Atomic T2/Z2. Moeny is no issue. Just looking for insane brushed speed. Thanks!

n m l !!!!!!:D

NOMOTORLIMIT
2008.02.11, 05:02 PM
heheh! Thanks, Grant!

pinoyboy
2008.02.11, 05:54 PM
Don't forget theres also Top Secret Motors made by Flashsp-2! Flashsp-2 also can make you a motor suited for the track you run on

You can PM or email him;):D

NOMOTORLIMIT
2008.02.12, 09:50 AM
Either way you go, you can't go wrong. :)

pooiswyked
2008.02.13, 05:02 PM
i picked up a stock r for now, the track's small but it's for my tgr unit so i see no such thing as too much motor. epa's do exist.

pfcparts
2008.02.16, 01:20 PM
NML I emailed you for some quotes. :)

parts

DJ Kyosho
2008.02.17, 02:54 AM
I was able to try the NML lightning SS tonight and I'm sold. The motor stayed cool after a pack of batteries and the runtime is great. I actually got more run time with the lightning than when I was running the speedy motor on my pan car. I also had to lower my EPA to about 70 on my helios just so I can drive the car. I just started driving mod, that's why the power was too much for me. For experienced drivers, it should be just right. BTW, Mr. NML is running this motor with the 14 tooth pinion :eek:

eztuner12
2008.09.28, 02:22 PM
Greeting to all readers.
I have tested many modified motors from, Atomic, PN, PerformanceXmods, Teammnm Racing, Speedologist, Tamiya, Main-iac Motors and some others I can’t remember their names, some of them very fast and with good characteristics indeed. But only two of them achieved the right combinations of speed, torque, temperature, aggressiveness, smoothness and longativity I was seeking for.
In 1st place I prefer the Main- iac Motor hand woven 35T silver com armature, combined with Atomic BB can, Atomic Neo-magnets and Atomic silver brushes with PN 104 caps. I use this motor on very special occasions since this armature is not built anymore, this motor is really TOP of the line, extremely fast:eek:.
My 2nd favorite comes down to; PN 35T, 3rd favorite PN 37T armature, Atomic Neo-magnets, Atomic standard can silver brushes, PN ultra BB can and PN 104 caps. This particular motor will take any punishment, never gets hot and it will last forever, no mater if it is a short or long track layout or full of turns or vise-verse, it will just take any abuse and super fast:):):D.
Cheers;)

ProfoxCG
2008.11.17, 12:20 PM
what is a mod motor? what is a stock motor?
Is a xspeed or speedy07 a mod motor or am I missing something here?

I am looking at Atomic motors for example,
they have the Atomic AD
T2
Z2

then they have a few motors that say STOCK on them.. what does it all mean?

cowboysir
2008.11.17, 07:54 PM
It depends on what your club rules are...some say stock is stock Kyosho motor and nothing else but some rules allow for a "stock" fet safe motor. In this day and age of "stock" boards having 3004fet(older AM), 3010fet(newer AM) and double 3010fet(ASF) the speed will vary even if the same motor is applied to different "stock" fet boards.

Long story short(and in my opinion only), the "best" mod motor really comes down to what suits your driving style and track conditions and will vary from person to person.;)

I don't really have any advice other than try a couple different ones out with different pinion sizes and see how it goes. It gets pricey...but when it comes to fun we don't worry about price, right?:D

JuniorWKR
2008.11.19, 09:14 AM
what is a mod motor? what is a stock motor?
Is a xspeed or speedy07 a mod motor or am I missing something here?

I am looking at Atomic motors for example,
they have the Atomic AD
T2
Z2

then they have a few motors that say STOCK on them.. what does it all mean?

I believe the new rules since the 2.4 board is a stock motor is any motor that does not require fet upgrades... this will be noted on the package some of ur stock motors that u can buy off the shelf at any of ur local hobby stores r the kyosho stock, pn 70t, speedy 05, speedy 07, speedy 07 BB, atomic stock, atomic ad, atomic standard, atomic stock, atomic awd, awdII and awdIII. also atomic just released a stock bushing engine that will be the motor used in stock class at there events. the new atomic motor is somewhere between a pn 70t and speedy 07 (non BB).

Ur modified motors ar ur pn s01, s03, so4(my personal favorite with double stack fets!!!!!), u got the anima, animaII, atomic stock r, atomic chili, and all the other companys out there hand winding 80000 rpm motors...

JuniorWKR
2008.11.19, 11:55 AM
hope this helps... keep in mind these were all on stock 2.4 boards... so alot of the more powerful enfgines performed poorly because they require fets... just goes to show a slower engine can be faster on a stock board...

eztuner12
2008.11.19, 05:05 PM
In larger scale electric motor have their difference between stock and mod; Stock come with very high number of wire turns and you can’t set deferent timing. Modified motors come with low number of turns and you can open the can and set the timing of your preference, they come with larger Comm.
Just a guess but doesn’t the 130 series electric motor differences between stock and mod are; Stock you have to race it as they come out of the box, high # of turns, if you have to replace the brushes they have to be the same that came originally. Modified motors, low # of turns, you can change magnets and brushes for better ones that will improve its performance, they can have big fat comm.
Cheers

EMU
2008.11.19, 05:11 PM
Richard, at events you cannot open the motor case. Doing so will result in a DQ. The Atomic motors you can change the brushes without opening the can, which is one reason that I have allways preferred the Atomic motors. The PN modified motor in Las Vegas was very similar to the old open endbell.

eztuner12
2008.11.19, 06:25 PM
Thx for the data EMU.
But doesn’t the # of turns has to see with the difference between a mod and stock 130 series motor as well as the Comm size?
I see that in this 130 motor stock or mod they only have 1 wire turner around on the armature, is there a reason for this?
Cheers

ProfoxCG
2008.11.19, 08:25 PM
hope this helps... keep in mind these were all on stock 2.4 boards... so alot of the more powerful enfgines performed poorly because they require fets... just goes to show a slower engine can be faster on a stock board...

thanks for the response, would an atomic Z2 and T2 be considered mod mottors? basically if you need upgraded fets to run it then its not a stock motor.

I though that a stock motor was the box stock that comes with the readysets

Action B
2008.11.19, 10:14 PM

Those were tested by a computer and monitoring equipement as far as I know. That picture is from atomicmods and they didn't test their motors in cars for those results. I'd like to see where you got that information from. Please link your source on this thread If I am incorrect.

EMU
2008.11.20, 12:15 AM
With the 2.4 boards you can run most of the modified motors without having to change the fets. The main difference between modified motors and stock motors are the amount of turns or winds on the armature.

The older AM boards, with 3004 fets had a much smaller limit on the winds than even the 3010 AM boards. The 2.4 boards can hand much higher loads than the AM boards.

Action B
2008.11.20, 02:31 AM
With the 2.4 boards you can run most of the modified motors without having to change the fets. The main difference between modified motors and stock motors are the amount of turns or winds on the armature.

The older AM boards, with 3004 fets had a much smaller limit on the winds than even the 3010 AM boards. The 2.4 boards can hand much higher loads than the AM boards.

I see, so your saying even if testing WAS on a 2.4, which I feel it was not, then there wouldn't be a severe performance lost to be attributed to the 2x2 3010 FETs limitations.

JuniorWKR
2008.11.20, 03:40 PM
Those were tested by a computer and monitoring equipement as far as I know. That picture is from atomicmods and they didn't test their motors in cars for those results. I'd like to see where you got that information from. Please link your source on this thread If I am incorrect.

That is correct... my understanding was that the engines were run through a 2.4 board?... i may be wrong but that was my impression... i have a fetted 2.4 board and my s04 is twice as fast as my stock r.... so why would the print out show the stock r to be faster... before i fetted my board my stock r was faster... what i dont understand is what did they run the engnies through to get the read out and why r the engines that we know are faster comin up slower on the printout? i still dont have a full understanding of these engines and all the specs... so much talk about turns and winding and magnets... i thought thats what gearing is for... What would u consider to be the benchmark for atomics testings...

JuniorWKR
2008.11.20, 03:42 PM

if u r correct and i believe u r... what does that test result really prove...

hrdrvr
2008.11.20, 04:30 PM
^ I think all results should come from the track ;)

FWIW, only the PN70t or Kyosho box stock motor is "stock" at our track. All other motors are considered mod, speedyo5s, 07s, all of them :D

Felix2010
2008.11.24, 03:58 AM
Richard, at events you cannot open the motor case. Doing so will result in a DQ. The Atomic motors you can change the brushes without opening the can, which is one reason that I have allways preferred the Atomic motors. The PN modified motor in Las Vegas was very similar to the old open endbell.

EMU - I am really looking forward to trying the new PN motors that debuted at this year's PNWC. From some PNWC pics, at first glance the PN motor cans all looked like the PN 70t can; Then I noticed the new unique design metal cut-out on the top of the handout PNWC motor cans - And more importantly I saw the new brush & endbell design which as you said EMU are very similar to the original Atomic/EGR-type endbell type.
I too prefer the Atomic/EGR motor cans. I have been experimenting a lot with Top Secret Motors using the newer Atomic M1 motor cans, the performance gains using the M1 cans are definitely there. Adjustment of the brush spring tension, the ATM M! brush design - Great breakthrough for Mini-Zs. It takes some extra work, but when you're all about getting the most trick motor with the best performance, ATM's M1 motor can is nice. :D
Anyway, returning from that tangent..... :) ....... The question "What's the best mod motor?" -> The new PN "PNWC-design" modified-class motor (rumored to be 36t) I think might be the best off-the-shelf mod motor when it becomes available. We shall see. The comments from Tjay and other pilots about the PNWC modified handout motor are that it not only screams but runs relatively cool. I don't know about you guys, but for modified racing, I like a motor that I can dump the pack with if need be. Some mod motors just get too hot during practice & races. This is why I like designing and running my own custom pattern-handwound modified-class motors.

If mass-produced modified doesn't cut it for ya and all-out-crazy-insane speed & torque are what you're after (see "Melt-your-motor-wire-leads-off hot"), then Flashsp-2 @ Top Secret Motors can build you anything physically possible.

eztuner12
2008.11.24, 02:23 PM
EMU - but for modified racing, I like a motor that I can dump the pack with if need be. Some mod motors just get too hot during practice & races. This is why I like designing and running my own custom pattern-handwound modified-class motors.

If mass-produced modified doesn't cut it for ya and all-out-crazy-insane speed & torque are what you're after (see "Melt-your-motor-wire-leads-off hot"), then Flashsp-2 @ Top Secret Motors can build you anything physically possible.

:cool:Cool, your speaking my language man, any www.com @ so we can see what you got?;):D
Cheers

Felix2010
2008.11.25, 11:34 AM
eztuner - Let me see if I can get some motor pics & stats together. Most of my armatures are installed & built into complete motors right now, I hate to disassemble a motor once it's broken in. I always end up breaking a cap or two when I open my motors up.:eek: But I'll see if I can pull a few arms out of their cans for pics.

One thing I liked a lot about the ROAR rules Cristian posted on here awhile back was the "open motor rule" for modified class. Racing some custom motors in competition would be cool to see.

CristianTabush
2008.11.25, 03:49 PM
As stated by Landon, once the FET rules were changed, pretty much the stock motor rule is that any motor any different than a 70 Turn, bushing raced motor is a modified motor. At the time, the only 2 70T motors are the Kyosho Stock and PN Stock. It is rumored that Atomic is also working on a 70 Turn motor, and we will soon be offering tuned versions of both.

As for best modified motors; IMO, off the shelf, the best motor is the T2. Makes the best suited power for our applications. This motor is still faster than the new PN Motor and is by far the best choice for an AWD/Pan Car. In the case of the 2WD, either the PN Anima 2 or the Atomic AD stock are excellent (neither of which is a stock motor) as the power bands are mellower on the bottom end.

Cherub1m
2008.11.25, 09:12 PM
As stated by Landon, once the FET rules were changed, pretty much the stock motor rule is that any motor any different than a 70 Turn, bushing raced motor is a modified motor. At the time, the only 2 70T motors are the Kyosho Stock and PN Stock. It is rumored that Atomic is also working on a 70 Turn motor, and we will soon be offering tuned versions of both.

As for best modified motors; IMO, off the shelf, the best motor is the T2. Makes the best suited power for our applications. This motor is still faster than the new PN Motor and is by far the best choice for an AWD/Pan Car. In the case of the 2WD, either the PN Anima 2 or the Atomic AD stock are excellent (neither of which is a stock motor) as the power bands are mellower on the bottom end.

Hey Cristian

Do you know how they (Atomic Mods) tested these motors at Atomic Mods to get that graph? I figured I would ask you since you worked for them a while back. The graph seems informative but like Junior pointed out some of those motors don't perform in the cars like one would expect if you follow the graph (in all the graph seems on point with most of the motors).