PDA

View Full Version : GPM Alloy Servo Case/Front Gearbox

ss220
2008.02.13, 01:33 AM
To everyone out there with GPM alloy front G/box.

Hows your steering?

I have the GPM alloy servo gears and just recently got a gpm alloy front g/box.
At the moment i am only using the top half of the alloy g/box because when I used both the steering was really tight and unresponsive.

As it is I have had to loosen the screws that hold both parts of the top half of the GPM g/box together just to get my steering back to useable.

With the original plastic g/box and GPM gears the steering was fine.
The GPM gears are not as smooth as the originals but at least I won't be strippping the gears in a hurry :p.

Has anyone else encountered this with the alloy upgrades??
What did you do to fix it??

All the rest of the GPM goodies on the truck are a great fit:D.

SS220

HammerZ
2008.02.13, 09:01 AM
I to use a top half GPM alloy case on my Monster. But I have all stock parts inside. The tie rod and servo saver rack do fit a little tight. I sanded them down a little bit with fine (#600- #1000) sandpaper to allow free movement. It is still a bit tight next to my other all stock parts truck, but at least it will move with the controler.

Supraman93
2008.02.13, 05:41 PM
Have any idea were I can find the alloy front gear box in Silver?

Thank You

ss220
2008.02.13, 06:43 PM
Thanks for that Hammer, I might give that a go.

I had a bit of a play around with it last night and found that I can use top and bottom half of the Alloy front gearbox if i only do all the screws up finger "tight". I then used threadlock to keep them in place. I am still using my homemade gasket between the 2 sections of the top half as well. Its not perfect but it is a useable work around. My steering now moves freely and the wheels can be turned by hand.

Supraman93 I buy all my GPM parts direct from GPM in Hong Kong Clicky here (http://www.gpmracing.com.hk).
They have been very good to deal with.
Although they don't show the alloy gearbox's as available parts on their website they do have them. Ask for a price list for monster parts and they will be on it. :D

SS220

Supraman93
2008.02.13, 07:04 PM
"Supraman93 I buy all my GPM parts direct from GPM in Hong Kong Clicky here.
They have been very good to deal with.
Although they don't show the alloy gearbox's as available parts on their website they do have them. Ask for a price list for monster parts and they will be on it. "

SS220

GPM just sent me a quote for the alloy gear box today and I couldn't believe that they want $74.30 US. Another Asian company had the gear boxes a couple of weeks ago for $35.00 which they are out of stock now and I would have thought the manufacturer would be around the same price.

ss220
2008.02.13, 07:27 PM
Supraman93 can you send me a link for that company?
PM me if you don't want to put it on the forum.

Yeh it was an expensive part but I keep breaking the stock plastic ones so I figured it was worth it.

SS220

Supraman93
2008.02.13, 07:35 PM
SS220,

Here is the email I got from GPM today. I wanted 2-sets of the 5-spoke alloy rims in silver but the only quoted me for one set.

Dear Rick,

Thank you very much for your confirm of order. The following is the final quote of your order. Please kindly provide your shipping address,so I can issue the Invoice to you accordingly.

MMZ012 Silver ALLOY FRONT GEAR BOX - 1PC SET USD74.3
MMZ0502K Silver ALLOY FRONT/REAR FLAT RIMS(STAR) - 1PR USD9.8
Total=USD84.1
Postage by the registered mail=USD15
4.5% bank charge by credit card=USD4.46
Grand Total=USD103.56

Thank you and hope to hear back from you soon.

Best Regards,
Queenie Tsang
Chin Ngai Hobby & Co.
www.gpmracing.com.hk

Here is the other company:
http://www.*******.com/product_info.php?cPath=5_27&products_id=146&osCsid=d5ecd7abff9b2eb6f6553606f7079782

Supraman93
2008.02.13, 07:36 PM
I'll PM you the other company

ss220
2008.02.13, 07:42 PM
Thanks for that.

I have tried to deal with them before but got screwed around by them so much that I told them to stick it in the end.

Hope you have better luck than me.

SS220

kryten
2008.02.15, 01:33 PM
I use the complete front alloy gearbox on my monster and did notice it didn't turn quite as well as before (i still use stock internals) but i found a +1 degree toe bar fixed that.:D i think the site you couldn't post is where i got it from.
I also ordered a rear gearbox and i'm still waiting for that to come back into stock.
I've talked to a few monster owners who've had real problems sourcing this part.Good luck i hope you get it sorted.