PDA

View Full Version : Have xmod, want overland. Will i be disappointed?

Jace1283
2008.02.14, 10:28 PM
i keep wanting to pull the trigger on a mercedes g overland(real g has front, middle, rear locking diffs and 4wd), love the looks. It just keeps bothering me that its 2wd. The problem is too that i have a highly modded xmod truck with lithium and 4wd with ball diffs(lim. slip), i know the mini-z will never offroad like that. I also think its likely kyosho will make a 4WD overland in the future. Makes me wonder if i'll be disappointed. Think i'll apreciate the overland? Help me decide!

the xmod, its a hummer now so it offroads better cause its shorter...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/725000-725999/725472_82_full.jpg
Now...
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/725000-725999/725472_100_full.jpg
http://www.kyosho.ru/auto/images/auto029_20.gif

greekone
2008.02.14, 10:57 PM
I have the overland and like it but, I think you would be better off with the monster since you like to offroad.You could even modify the mercedes body to fit the monster.

HammerZ
2008.02.15, 01:25 AM
One thing that impressed me was how well an Overland will off road for a 2WD truck. The gear diff has a locking plate, that can help alot as far as busting trails. I run mine most without the plate locked. I have it on the diff, but the tabs are not ingauged with the ring gear. This way I just remove that wheel flip the plate, put it back together and go. IMHO the suspension is better than the Xtruck.

fixed13
2008.02.17, 10:32 PM
I have both and find the xmod better at off road, the lock plate on the mini-z does make a big difference though. If you are running you xmod as listed I think it may be a fairly even run on both of them. My xmod is running a servo for the motor and both diffs are locked, climbs very well but if you are running a stock or hot motor that has limited torque the difference may not be that big between the two trucks. A stock xmod can not compete with a stock overland. Just another thought, how about mounting the G body on the xmod? You will have to fab body mounts but it should not be to hard.

fixed13
2008.02.17, 10:38 PM
On mounting bodys, http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16747, I have this body mounted on a xmod hummer. Wheelbase looks good for the overland also. Which means you should be able to mount the G on a xmod hummer with no problems.

Jace1283
2008.02.18, 11:00 PM
you guys werent very convincing, haha. I think i'm gonna get one anyway, i've been messin with xtrucks for like 2 years, it'll be something new.

fixed13
2008.02.19, 01:37 AM
I like my overland, like you said, it is something new. I like all the micro trucks, they all have there place.

Jace1283
2008.02.29, 12:53 AM
here it is! i like it, very precise. I have one question...how do you get the body off?? (easily)

also, what is gonna break that i should replace with alloy.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/725000-725999/725472_105_full.jpg

james399
2008.02.29, 01:36 AM
here it is! i like it, very precise. I have one question...how do you get the body off?? (easily)

also, what is gonna break that i should replace with alloy.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/725000-725999/725472_105_full.jpg

pull on the side of the body gently and pop up... as for the parts that break easily... totally depends on your driving...

first thing i would do... look up lssm mod, give the chassis a little lift...
help it got over things...

second thing i would doe fet stack... so you can run hotter motors and bigger tires...

third thing i would do, is get a set of rear wide (enzo wheels) use lego tires and or other tires, to lift it up, then your truck will be awesome...

there was this "toy" that came out called xrm, came with crazy wide, big sticky tires...

i was able to drive over finely cut grass with these tires, and a chassis lift... no joke... but
i had to
1. lift the chassis
2. fet stack to prevent frying my pcb,
3. get wheels and tires to complete the look...

hope that helps.

575racer
2008.02.29, 11:17 AM
about half an hour after i got my truck i broke the rear linkage mount. best to get an alloy motor mount/gearbox. linkages would be good but no-one makes them:mad:

Jace1283
2008.03.01, 12:58 PM
i was able to drive over finely cut grass with these tires, and a chassis lift... no joke... but
i had to
1. lift the chassis
2. fet stack to prevent frying my pcb,
3. get wheels and tires to complete the look...

hope that helps.

is the fet stack necessary? I mean my xtruck has a V2 but i have a xmod car thats 4WD and running on lithium...it has about 20 hours on it no problem, stock FETs. I'm pretty hard on it too(heavy load), I drift using hard rubber on smooth floors, and also carpet with stickies on the back. The fets can't be worse than xmods, right? You telling me a xspeed or something with neos can't power a OL with big tires?

james399
2008.03.02, 12:07 AM
is the fet stack necessary? I mean my xtruck has a V2 but i have a xmod car thats 4WD and running on lithium...it has about 20 hours on it no problem, stock FETs. I'm pretty hard on it too(heavy load), I drift using hard rubber on smooth floors, and also carpet with stickies on the back. The fets can't be worse than xmods, right? You telling me a xspeed or something with neos can't power a OL with big tires?

that will be your call to make, personally, there are guys that ran legos, and bigger tires, and never burned out there FET,s then there are guys that burned em out completely stock... the thing is, you run the risk of frying you're pcb if you run bigger tires...

do a search, on FETs, and there are tons of posts... you can do the research yourself...

Jace1283
2008.03.02, 12:25 PM
so i have a xtruck that runs on stock batteries(meaning not the one above) and it is running stage 2 with NEOs and 4WD with a lift kit and 4 oversized wheels from the lift kit. It has to overcome 6 more gears than an overland and 8 more bearings and a driveshaft and 2 more wheels but the overland might blow FETs on oversized tires?! I think i know who's sitting on the shelf, lol.

james399
2008.03.02, 11:59 PM
so i have a xtruck that runs on stock batteries(meaning not the one above) and it is running stage 2 with NEOs and 4WD with a lift kit and 4 oversized wheels from the lift kit. It has to overcome 6 more gears than an overland and 8 more bearings and a driveshaft and 2 more wheels but the overland might blow FETs on oversized tires?! I think i know who's sitting on the shelf, lol.

lol... yeah, it's expensive to fix if you fry the fets, but you might be able to run your v2 board on the overland too...

there is a ton of information out there.... read up, and decide what risks you're willing to take with your truck... personally, i liked using mine so i did what i needed to do to prevent frying the thing...

Jace1283
2008.03.03, 12:07 AM
well if you fry the FETs you can still just have them removed and replaced, right? Or can you plant some FETs on top of stock ones(same ones obviously). I've done one successful FET upgrade on a gen one xmod collecting dust...that trash. I attempted another but burned up an fet on the rear stack, i was able to return it to stock just on the rear fet, so i had a 1x2 and 1x1 stack, the truck worked fine, haha. I screwed the board up taking it off so now i have 2 stacks of fets on standby, for xmods though.

AND i just did my first upgrade! I took some stock xmod truck tires and put them on my OL, they look great and i get soo much more grip as they are quite soft. I also gained some ground clearance, im really surprised at how well they fit though, i'll post PICS soon. Someone else has got to have tried this as well. I recommend this to anyone at stock height, itll cost about 6.50-8.00(depend on if you ask for free shipping) from radio shack

james399
2008.03.03, 01:34 AM
use the search function and look up lssm... it will give your truck chassis a nice little lift... look up lego tires, and wide racer wheels... cheap grippy tires... check under the for sale section, and find my truck, the custom international scout, and you can see the articulation you can get.... a lot more than stock ol, and probably as much if not more than the xmod...:D

well if you fry the FETs you can still just have them removed and replaced, right? Or can you plant some FETs on top of stock ones(same ones obviously). I've done one successful FET upgrade on a gen one xmod collecting dust...that trash. I attempted another but burned up an fet on the rear stack, i was able to return it to stock just on the rear fet, so i had a 1x2 and 1x1 stack, the truck worked fine, haha. I screwed the board up taking it off so now i have 2 stacks of fets on standby, for xmods though.

AND i just did my first upgrade! I took some stock xmod truck tires and put them on my OL, they look great and i get soo much more grip as they are quite soft. I also gained some ground clearance, im really surprised at how well they fit though, i'll post PICS soon. Someone else has got to have tried this as well. I recommend this to anyone at stock height, itll cost about 6.50-8.00(depend on if you ask for free shipping) from radio shack

Jace1283
2008.03.03, 01:21 PM
Here's the tires, like i said, much more grip and some more clearance. Like em? Actualy it wasn't until i put these on that i saw a lack of power because the other tires would slip before the engine had to work, it may be time to put that xspeed in...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/725000-725999/725472_109_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/725000-725999/725472_108_full.jpg

james399
2008.03.03, 01:42 PM
are there rubbing issues??

if you need an xspeed, check the forsale section i have one posted 10 dollars shipped, continental united states...

as for the lack of power, your right, the bigger and bigger tires you go, or if you add aluminum, the truck gets slower and slower... and as you noted... on the stock tires, they have a tendency to spin, if you put too much load on it...

you have to be careful with the overland, because with the bigger tires, there is a lot more load... im sure you heard the load noise.. (high pitched whine?)

Here's the tires, like i said, much more grip and some more clearance. Like em? Actualy it wasn't until i put these on that i saw a lack of power because the other tires would slip before the engine had to work, it may be time to put that xspeed in...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/725000-725999/725472_109_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/725000-725999/725472_108_full.jpg

Jace1283
2008.03.03, 02:07 PM
^there's no rubbing in the front and there's only a light rub on the back and it is only when the suspention is fully compressed. The fender rubs the outside of the tire a bit, but its not even bad. I already have the xspeed, i just didn't have a reason to put it in before, but thanks.
Anyone know if the xspeed is faster than the PN speedy 05? the 05 is in my mini-z MR-02

Apie
2008.03.03, 03:05 PM
Get a bearing set, you'll be amazed at the speed you will gain.

Jace1283
2008.03.03, 04:41 PM
bearings and rear motor mount are already on the way. That motor is practically wrapped in a blanket, needs some heat sinkage. I don't think the bearings will make a big diff since the tolerances are already tight and the wheels spin pretty free but plastic wears down, its inevitable.

HammerZ
2008.03.03, 05:22 PM
On the subject of bearings. I recommend this idler gear bearing pair if the set you have don't have them.
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=16648

I know this sounds like a sales pitch. But those things can go a long way to save your gears. The stock bushings can wear enough to allow the gear to kick out enough to shear off the teeth.

james399
2008.03.03, 06:14 PM
On the subject of bearings. I recommend this idler gear bearing pair if the set you have don't have them.

I know this sounds like a sales pitch. But those things can go a long way to save your gears. The stock bushings can wear enough to allow the gear to kick out enough to shear off the teeth.

+1, i had assumed that you already put bearings in :rolleyes:

bearings always should be the first mod... any rc...

Jace1283
2008.03.03, 07:43 PM

hey thanks, didn't know there was even an idler gear, probably would've found that out when i put the bearings in. 7.21 shipped is a pretty good price too. I got those for my xmod as well, it's pretty cool, the gpm piece has a "U" opening for the bearings so you can see them dfrom the outside...cooling i guess?

Jace1283
2008.03.18, 10:10 PM
the first thing broke on my OL and i didn't expect it to be the motor wire! I've barely used the thing and the positive lead broke right off the contact on the board. Those wires are thin! I'll probly resolder it for now or maybe put xmod motor wire in since i have a lot of it and its much thicker. That really worried me though about the servo wires which are smaller and constantly flexing. Those idler bearings did come with the set :) and the whole set cost less than $10 shipped :cool: I really like it and find the best territory for it is carpet w/pillows under it.

fixed13
2008.03.20, 12:20 AM
Glad you like the OL. I go back and forth between the OL and my Xmods. I agree with the other guys, LSSM, bearings, wide wheels and Lego tires. I ordered 12 lego tires from there website and it was like $12 shipping included. I do not have stacked fets but I am running a stock motor. Check out this thread to see my OL with the tires and wheels http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18534 Good luck with you new toy.:)