E-mail or call for directions.
(404) 754-3410

Race Time
-----------------
Doors Open: 10:30am
Racing Starts: 12:00pm

Classes
-------------
1/28th Stock - Stock Class HFAY Rules (http://hfay.tinyrc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=95)
1/28th Open - Open Class HFAY Rules (http://hfay.tinyrc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=97)
F1 - Any chassis mods and any FET safe motor.
Other Classes may be run if 2 or more people request them. Novice, X-Mod only, etc...

Cost
-------------
$5.00 per class

Racers will be required to have their own core transponders tags. These will be available at this race for $15 each (some still available for $10). This is a one time purchase that should last you many years. Loaners may be available for $3.

Notes
-------------
- Core lap counting system.
- Custom track (foam mat surface)
- Audio and video systems for the automated sounds, announcements and race stats display.
- We will run 3 qualifiers for each class.
- 5 minute Qualifiers and 7 minute Mains.

Use this "Race Event" thread to discuss things such as who will be attending and any other specific info pertaining to the race. After the event is over, we can continue to discuss any issues / suggestions / improvements for the next race. The results, and possibly pictures, will then be posted to this same thread.

If you think you’ll be attending, please post here so everyone will have an idea of expected attendance.

Hope to see you there!

russp
2008.02.19, 02:08 PM
I'll have to miss this one. We are down to a single car at our house for a while probably at least until next week. I'm good for the 8th however at my house if that is still the plan. Have Billy or Hank pick up the laptop if you would.

Thanks,

- Russ

pinoyboy
2008.02.19, 06:26 PM
I guess i'll be going to pick up the laptop, as well as try out some new goodies. I'm in for stock and F1.

pinoyboy
2008.02.20, 08:43 PM
I've got a quick question. If someone were to buy a 2.4ghz mini-z, would they be able to use it for the current season?;)

AtlRC
2008.02.20, 10:00 PM
I've got a quick question. If someone were to buy a 2.4ghz mini-z, would they be able to use it for the current season?;)

Hmmmmm... let's see... if we let Hank run a car with higher powered FETs in stock class, would that give him an advantage so that he might have a better chance of beating everyone?!?! :rolleyes: Maybe he would win by 10 laps instead of 5!!! :eek: ...uhhhh, I'm thinking it wouldn't matter.

Joking aside, I personally don't have a problem with it. I would like to get one too. Since there is a small number of us running and I belive that next year, we probably won't have stock FET rule anyway , we could potentially open it up now to any FETs. I would vote for that.

What do others think? Billy? Russ? Kevin? (heh, what happened to Kevin, you still out there?) Anybody else?

hpgod
2008.02.21, 11:25 AM
I am fine with opening up the fets rule as the new boards will be 3010x2. If we do change our board rules lets have a fet party one day and bump up all our boards at the same time to 1 high power fet or 2x3010s. It costs ~$10 in fets to do 2 boards.

The down side is bottom end is speed increase will jump up laptime to similar times to what we run on the stock boards in mod with stock safe mod motors. This is ok for our current group of racers but bad for if we get back to a more open track location where we get newbies in with us.

I do feel the stock class may be getting to fast for newcomers.
We might want to consider all getting the new kyosho eco motor(its like 70 turns) for the stock class if we do this. I read somewhere the difference was ~ 1 seconds a lap on 5.5 seconds a lap track on 3010 fets. Food for thought. This would bring the speeds back down to where they were before the latest wave of fets and batteries.

pinoyboy
2008.02.21, 11:34 AM
I'm fine with no fet limitation. As for rules, I like salt lake mini-zs rules for their stock class, but tweak it a little. Hopefully, Brian is ok with me copying and pasting:p

Motor: Any motor > 39T arm. New club members are required to run the Kyosho stock motor until given permission to upgrade. The stock motor is plenty fast and alot easier to learn to drive with. If you feel you are ready please discuss with Patrick.

PCB: No fet limitation.

Drive train: Any gears, shafts or diffs allowed.
Bearings: Allowed, any brand or type. (Rear axle, front wheels only.)

Chassis: Stock, direct replacement alloy parts allowed.

Tires/wheels: No Foams, No traction compounds allowed.

Suspension: Anything goes as long as the stock configuration and stock chassis are maintained.

Body: Any Kyosho Mini-z, Iwaver, or Xmod bodies. Custom model car bodies allowed as long as they meet the stock dimensions. No Lexan bodies. Mininal material may be removed to prevent bodies from snagging RCP rails or interfering with rear suspension travel. Judges reserve the right to disqualify a body for excessive material removal.

Batteries: Any rechargeable NI-MH 1.2volt, or 1.25volt Alkaline (4 cells only)

If we used that, we could combine are current stock and mod class. These rules can also be applied to F1.

pinoyboy
2008.02.22, 10:57 AM
I was trying to get my car under 80 grams without doing any heavy cutting to the chassis, but being less than a gram away, I went ahead and did it.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q264/hescobal/Stock%20mr-02%20VDS/Minizsale2-21-08003.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q264/hescobal/Stock%20mr-02%20VDS/Minizsale2-21-08007.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q264/hescobal/Stock%20mr-02%20VDS/Minizsale2-21-08009.jpg

What do you guys think, legal or not legal for stock? I know lightening the body too much for other than keeping cars from snagging the rails is enforced, but nothing about the chassis. Then again, it might be a given that you shouldn't:p

I know our rules are based around HFAYs, but we don't participate, so our rules are a little more loose.

Just thought I'd bring this up, before you guys see it on the track and think I may have had the car like this for the whole season;)

hpgod
2008.02.22, 11:02 AM
Hank
Bring the 02 chassis you have for sale saterday I am interested in it. I dont know if I can make the full day of racing but I should be able to stop by and maybe run 1 heat. My wife works Saterday so I cannot spend the whole afternoon racing.:(

AtlRC
2008.02.22, 08:08 PM
I was trying to get my car under 80 grams without doing any heavy cutting to the chassis, but being less than a gram away, I went ahead and did it.

What do you guys think, legal or not legal for stock? I know lightening the body too much for other than keeping cars from snagging the rails is enforced, but nothing about the chassis. Then again, it might be a given that you shouldn't:p

I know our rules are based around HFAYs, but we don't participate, so our rules are a little more loose.

Just thought I'd bring this up, before you guys see it on the track and think I may have had the car like this for the whole season;)

I don't guess it's a problem if the HFAY rules don't prohibit it. Anyway, with the aluminum parts that most of us have, I'm sure the weight goes up... so you are most likely moving it back towards the original weight.

See ya tomorrow.

pinoyboy
2008.02.22, 08:16 PM
cool beans. Sounds like it will be a pretty small turn out tomorrow:(

AtlRC
2008.02.23, 01:53 PM
Stock A-Main (http://www.atlrcmotorsports.com/amrcr-results/2007-2008WinterSeason/022308-StockAMain.htm)

F1 A-Main (http://www.atlrcmotorsports.com/amrcr-results/2007-2008WinterSeason/022308-F1AMain.htm)

pinoyboy
2008.02.23, 04:09 PM
man, what an awesome race today in stock! Art, finally having an MR-02 in stock seems like the MR-01 was holding you back a ton! Your car was flying:eek:! . I'll admit though, my 2.4ghz car was glitching:p

I can't wait for the next race at Russ', I'll try and get a new setup done for stock to keep up with you. I can't count out Billy, who got his car hooked up practicing after the F1 main. The second half of the season looks like its gonna get fun ;)

hpgod
2008.02.23, 10:04 PM
It helped not having major glitching issues and finally getting a consistant car balance. Those rear tires from reflex racing with the pn15 s up front got me finally in the right ball park where I could drive consistant. I have your car half rebuilt already. I need to pick up a motor mount and it will be done. I had fun and thankyou for running the show quick so I could get the raceday in.

pinoyboy
2008.02.23, 10:44 PM
It helped not having major glitching issues and finally getting a consistant car balance. Those rear tires from reflex racing with the pn15 s up front got me finally in the right ball park where I could drive consistant. I have your car half rebuilt already. I need to pick up a motor mount and it will be done. I had fun and thankyou for running the show quick so I could get the raceday in.

That setup definitely looked strong, really showed me those 3 racing tires aren't up to par for Patrick's track or at least new ones front and rear isn't. I think the worn 3Racing tires I gave you were my rear tires, so they would have have helped with my understeer in corner entry. Although, with the response of the car had on throttle might have made it harder to get on it exiting corners.

I'll see if I can get an all PN racing tire setup for RCP and Patricks track and I should be good. I'm definitely looking forward to the next race:D

russp
2008.02.24, 06:50 AM
I am fine with opening up the fets rule as the new boards will be 3010x2. If we do change our board rules lets have a fet party one day and bump up all our boards at the same time to 1 high power fet or 2x3010s. It costs ~$10 in fets to do 2 boards.

The down side is bottom end is speed increase will jump up laptime to similar times to what we run on the stock boards in mod with stock safe mod motors. This is ok for our current group of racers but bad for if we get back to a more open track location where we get newbies in with us.

I do feel the stock class may be getting to fast for newcomers.
We might want to consider all getting the new kyosho eco motor(its like 70 turns) for the stock class if we do this. I read somewhere the difference was ~ 1 seconds a lap on 5.5 seconds a lap track on 3010 fets. Food for thought. This would bring the speeds back down to where they were before the latest wave of fets and batteries.

I guess here is my concern and I'd like Billy's input on this. I would love to have upgraded Fet's in my car, however, as Billy can attest to these cars PCBs are sensitive and you can easily damage them trying to do new fets. Also, even with the nice equipment at work (ie: really nice soldering station) my attempt to replace the FETs on an old MR-01 did not go so well... Hence, I'm not likely to be willing to risk killing what is an expensive board to replace by soldering on it right now. If a new board were say $40 then I would have no issues but a new board is $100 if you screw up so the stakes are kinda high...

pinoyboy
2008.02.24, 09:04 AM
Russ, I can change your fets for you. I have some 3010s I can add to one of your boards.

When I replace my fets, I just use a Radio Shack 30watt soldering iron, flux, and a grounding strap.;)

bemoore
2008.02.24, 03:32 PM
Wow! What a difference a set of tires make. After the main, I was thinking that my Mini-Z's was losing its appeal. I decided I needed to do something. I decided to try any untried tires in my box. In talking to Hank I discovered that the PN 8's I thought I had tried was actually GPM 8's. So I tried the PN's. After about 5 laps they came in and hooked up. It felt like a totally different car. For the first time I felt like I could make use of more power. I'm really looking forward to the next race.

Congrats Art. I guess you demonstrated very well the superiority of the MR-02 over the MR-01. For you non club members, Art usually runs an MR-01 in stock, and if Art is having a bad day and I'm having a good day, with a little luck I can beat him. And I'm the slowest person in the club. Art ran an MR-02 in stock and beat Hank. The first time anyone's beaten Hank. Art, that MR-01 was really holding you back.

Regarding FETs. It would seem that there are three possibilities:
1. We open the FET rules (as is the case in all other scales) and limit the motor.
2. We limit everyone to 3010's. This would exclude the new 2.4GHz car. I don't see this as practical. I don't see how we can set the limits of a class at a particular point in time. I.e. whatever is state of the art on, say 1/1/07, and nothing developed after that is legal. I think we're just going to have to accept that every two years or so, Kyosho is going to come out with something faster.
3. We make the newer faster cars legal for only modified, as we've done with MA-010's.

I'm not sure which one I'd vote for. Except I wouldn't vote for 2. I would probably favor the cheapest path to parity with the faster cars, which at this point would be 1. But here's another thought; there's exactly one 2.4GHz car in the club. And that person has an MR-02 that would be legal under rule 3. So we could go with 3 until more than one 2.4GHz car shows up.

pinoyboy
2008.02.27, 11:32 AM
I like number 1:D If anyone needs some 3010s, I have a couple I can let you have. Is anyone still using 3004?

bemoore
2008.02.27, 03:39 PM
I like number 1:D If anyone needs some 3010s, I have a couple I can let you have. Is anyone still using 3004?

I am.

So what is the FET rule? I'm getting together an order for some stuff. I might as well add some FETs to the order, but I don't know which ones right now.

pinoyboy
2008.02.27, 03:45 PM
I am.

So what is the FET rule? I'm getting together an order for some stuff. I might as well add some FETs to the order, but I don't know which ones right now.

I think were going with 1 since in other scales, they don't limit you by your ESC, but everyone runs the same spec motor.

AtlRC
2008.02.27, 04:56 PM
OK, let's go with number 1:

1. We open the FET rules (as is the case in all other scales) and limit the motor.

I would say that for now, we stick with limiting the motor to the normal stock motor. Next season we can discuss using the new lower power motor to try and bring the speed back down a bit.

pinoyboy
2008.02.27, 05:08 PM
OK, let's go with number 1:

I would say that for now, we stick with limiting the motor to the normal stock motor. Next season we can discuss using the new lower power motor to try and bring the speed back down a bit.

sounds good, I'll be upgrading the fets on all my racers and F1:D

hpgod
2008.02.28, 07:05 AM
I will add a kyosho eco motor to my next order I get from the shop here to try out.