Directions here:

http://www.dorksonwheels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115

Hope to see you there!

SaiTam
2008.02.20, 11:00 PM
I'm in ,.

EMU
2008.02.21, 12:44 AM
I am working on finding coverage for work... I will let you know if I can go.

lfisminiz
2008.02.21, 04:03 PM
Sounds good guys.

lfisminiz
2008.02.24, 08:16 PM
Any guys that are comming, chime in here. Let us know so we have a general idea for space. THANK YOU.:)

arch2b
2008.02.24, 08:56 PM
im confident you've picked up several more people after this past weekends racing ;)

TALLGEESE
2008.02.25, 08:08 PM
Me and VAzRACER are planning on attending this event.. It'll be good to see lfisminiz, Imxlr8ed, Gasman and Quinny again... Should be a good time.....

lfisminiz
2008.02.25, 09:32 PM
TALLGEESE, that would be cool.:) We are due to catch up.;)

Pretender
2008.02.25, 11:56 PM
may i run my new 2.4 mini-z in stock even if it does not count. i want to run two classes since i am coming from Laurel MD.

Our thread for this race is located here:

http://www.dorksonwheels.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4213#post4213

Directions here:

http://www.dorksonwheels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115

Hope to see you there!

imxlr8ed
2008.02.26, 05:32 AM
It's a strange time right now in MiniZ land... I'm not absolutely opposed to having a 2.4 in Stock with us, but some others may still be. In time... motor limitation will be the only control over these classes. If there's a stink about it, I may ask you to run it in mod... with 4 3010 fets, the AD Band is a hell of alot stronger than a stock AM with just 2 3010s. But, there is a certain curiosity to see how much of an advantage it actually is. Even so... board to board doesn't really tell us anything because it will always boil down to the tuning level of the chassis and the driver's skill level. Sai has shown up already with a near box stock Police Cruiser and we all had a rough time chasing him around in that with our race prepped MR02s.

I just fetted one of my AM boards with a double stack of 3010s just to get an idea of the RPMS generated and it was impressive, but I still pull more power with just a single layer of 8962s (the old freebie fets). I drove an AD Band a while back and have seen them run and we all know they're faster than the AMs, but I really don't think that they are incredibly faster than that, but coupled with that amazing level of control with the Spectrum band it may prove to be too much of an advantage for some.

I'm going to float it out there amongst my crew, and I'm curious to know how everyone here feels about it as well. Most of you are driving a good distance for this and I don't want to generate any weirdness by allowing a new type ESC into what is considered the current standard for Stock Class.

Either way... hope to see you there regardless of all this, at the root of it all it's just racing and I'm a big fan of seeing new technology in action. I'm sure Larry's dying to run his 2.4 in stock too, but I already told him that he should run it Mod. But if the majority objects, I may ask you to do the same.

Worst-case scenario... if you don't have a car with an AM board, I have a bunch of chassis' to choose from. :D

(sorry about the long windedness)

imxlr8ed
2008.02.26, 05:41 AM
Oh... and I would like to remind everyone to try to bring along their own fold-out tables and stools/chairs, and extension cords and power strips... we have a decent amount, but I would like to be on the safe side, this may turn out to be a packed house after all!

Really looking forward to this!

I'm going to open up the doors around 8:00am and I'm planning to start the heats at 12:00. We should finish up with the Mains around 6pm at the latest.

lfisminiz
2008.03.01, 09:13 PM
If any visitors comming to the GTG 2morrow need any help as they get closer...call me at 610-295-2169.:) Looks like good weather and nice day. :D

EMU
2008.03.02, 02:30 AM
Ed, any ruling for the ASF running in stock class? I would guess that if the ASF were permitted, that would open a new can of worms for Ad-Band to run as well... since the motor output is the same. I personally feel that it should be left for modified, but would be ok with it in stock class as long as a stock Kyosho motor was used. Should keep the speeds close to the same as a PN/Atomic stock fet motor equipped car. Either way, I will probably run mine in Mod. Mod class has to use a modified motor, that cannot be run on a stock fet car, correct?

I just finished a really long night of racing, and am looking forward to running tomorrow (later today really). It should be lots of fun. I just hope my batteries have enough time to rest :eek: I put them through a lot tonight, although I barely ran any practice since I was wrenching most of the night.

I just got my ASF tonight at Action RC (same price as online, minus shipping). I ran it in stock class without my CORE card for testing/comparison purposes in one heat, and ran my stock 02 for the rest. I do like it a lot, no glitching, at all. Speed wise, it is faster, but not by too much... maybe since it was so smooth, it felt slower than my stock car ;) I came in 2nd the same lap as the leader (phil) who won the A main as well. He is really the one to beat around here lately. I finished 3rd in that main, 1 second behind Al who had a very good run.

I feel that the main asset that the ASF cars have is glitch free operation, and precision. I purposely used my old 2006 PNWC handout speedy 05 which was a dud motor to sandbag a little. I had a little more out of the corners, but basically matched the straight away speed of the drivers in the heat. I did not gear up the car. Kept the 9t pinion on it.

On a side note... I think that the controller feels like a toy. As other have mentioned, the spring return on the wheel has very little dampening. If you steer one direction, and let go of the wheel (which I dont do much) it will bounce side to side a few times before it recenters. This isnt too bad on a normal board, but the ASF has such a high sensitivity with the steering, that the wheels will jitter, and the car will not track straight. Reverse is a pain as well. There is a delay, and you cannot have any steering input when you are entering reverse. Once it is engaged, you can steer. So, I lost quite a bit of time due to that. Also caused a sizeable pile up when I hit an apex too tight since the steering was so responsive, and couldnt back up since I was trying to steer while engaging reverse. Hopefully these are settings that can be adjusted in the future with the link and flash with new firmware.

I am a believer in the 2.4 ASF. I had my doubts, and hopes. So far it lives up to the hype. I have been feeling that the electronics have been the weakest link for the Mini-Z for some time. Especially with AWD. I am finally satisfied. Cant wait for the module for my EX-10. It took a few minutes to figure out how to bind it. The manual for the controller only describes how to prepare the controller to bind the car. The manual for the car explains it all. Its really easy, once you know how. But I was stubborn for a few minutes... and didnt want to read the manual.

lfisminiz
2008.03.02, 10:55 PM
A BIG THANKS TO ALL THE GUYS THAT CAME TO THE RACE. It was a good turnout and good racing. Good to see some freinds from before and meet some new guys. Will do it again sometime.:)

arch2b
2008.03.03, 09:31 AM
my apologies for not being able to make it :( please keep me in the loop for next time;)

imxlr8ed
2008.03.03, 09:53 AM
I'll have the results up sometime today... incredible racing!

DDR put on a heel of a show in Mod, Rhys and Vince we're just jamming around the track like nobody's business! Two names that I'm sure are going to become quite familiar on the forums here. Sai, Willy & Bennett raced as great as they always seem to do, glad to see you guys again and looking forward to the Atomic Race. I think everyone had a great time, the last "everyone Mod" race was a little insane but it actually worked out pretty well.

The 2.4 with a Speedy07 is way too fast for stock... but with the box stock motor, it seemed right on par with the AM boards. This may be the rule for our club in the future, until the 2.4 becomes more prevalent.

Old Crow
2008.03.03, 10:06 AM
Great time, really enjoy these GTG. Thanks to those who put it together.

EMU
2008.03.03, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the racing. DOW allways puts on a good race. Love the gip on the track. Anything I run at action works well there after I switch tires for more front grip.

I think I am going to switch my 2.4 to a setup that I know better. The rear end was chattering all over the place, especially on the sweeper. Occasionally causing it to flip.

I look forward to the next one... Thanks

Oh, and Ed... you have really stepped up your racing, coming from the B main and finishing 2nd??? in the A.

Hope to see many of you at the Atomic regional in Queens.

Pretender
2008.03.03, 02:10 PM
Thanks we had a great time. We will be back. Thank for all the info and help.

I'll have the results up sometime today... incredible racing!

DDR put on a heel of a show in Mod, Rhys and Vince we're just jamming around the track like nobody's business! Two names that I'm sure are going to become quite familiar on the forums here. Sai, Willy & Bennett raced as great as they always seem to do, glad to see you guys again and looking forward to the Atomic Race. I think everyone had a great time, the last "everyone Mod" race was a little insane but it actually worked out pretty well.

The 2.4 with a Speedy07 is way too fast for stock... but with the box stock motor, it seemed right on par with the AM boards. This may be the rule for our club in the future, until the 2.4 becomes more prevalent.

imxlr8ed
2008.03.03, 06:31 PM
Results are here:

http://www.dorksonwheels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644

Hey Emu... yeah, got pretty angry about my dysfunctional transponder for all of the heats and took it out on my steering wheel for the Mains. Still scary to know that Sai walked on by in the A with 5 laps on me, an 8.80 lap!?!?... somebody tech that guy! (just kidding Sai! :p I actually can't believe I did 49 in the B)

Sorry to all for the weird Core issues... never had that happen before but it did seem to straighten out once we shut down all of the anti-virus stuff.

Can't wait for the next one! Going to try to see if I can make the Atomic race, I know a few of my guys are very interested.

EMU
2008.03.03, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the data. I love how my 015 got a 9.29 second best lap in the 10 minute final race :P .29s slower than my fastest lap with my 2.4ASF and .22s slower than my fastest with my MR02. Although, it beat my best MR02 laps in the heats, which was 9.30s (in each heat).

There was no way that I was going to put my ASF out on the track for that. The front end was cracked up, and needed to be reinforced again. And the reverse delay, would have been disasterous. I said jokingly to Gasman that I was going to run the 015. He wanted to see it, so I did, and it performed pretty well. I had to change my front tires to get a little more grip, at Action there is much more bite on the front end, and less bite on the rear. I really like the way your track handles, in my opinion... the best RCP track I have driven.

The A main, position 2-8 were all within 1 lap. It was a little much having 9 cars on the track, especially such a technical layout. But it was lots of fun, and a good learning experience. I havent had to make so many turns in a long time. It is definitely a track that you dont need as much straight away speed, but need the corner speed. At Action RC, straight away speed is a bit more important...

Allways look forward to racing with you guys.

SaiTam
2008.03.03, 08:26 PM
Results are here:

http://www.dorksonwheels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644

Sai walked on by in the A with 5 laps on me, an 8.80 lap!?!?... somebody tech that guy! (just kidding Sai! :p I actually can't believe I did 49 in the B)

3010 FET + Atomic Stock motor + 9T + Orion batt = Fast !!! Who needs stacked FET and 2.4ghz?

We all had fun; and the ride home was smooth.

See you next time.

In case any of you DOW guys can come over to NJ, let me know.

TALLGEESE
2008.03.03, 10:03 PM
I just wanted to hop in here real quick and say thanks to everyone at DOW for letting me and Matt{VAzRACER}come up and get a chance to run with you guys.... I had a really good time and it was good to see everyone.. It was nice to meet a few more people that I see on this site regularly such as Saitam, Emu, Old Crow and others.. I also had a good time catching up with other racer's that I've met before{Ed, Larry, Quinny and Pretender}...

I also was curious to see how old the RCP track at DOW was.. The reason I'm asking is because that track had some of the best grip I've ever seen on RCP as far as front-end bite goes.. I had to change car settings at the last second to accomodate for the different track conditions..

SaiTam
2008.03.03, 10:19 PM
I think it matters more as to when the RCP track was produced. There maybe production inconsistencies just like the rear tires.

I have run on quite a number of RCP tracks; each has its own characteristics.

TALLGEESE
2008.03.03, 10:57 PM
I think it matters more as to when the RCP track was produced. There maybe production inconsistencies just like the rear tires.

I have run on quite a number of RCP tracks; each has its own characteristics.

That's good advice, I'll keep that in mind the next time I run on a track otherwise than my own... Thanks...

imxlr8ed
2008.03.05, 01:49 AM
You know... I'm starting to think it's more of a temperature issue with our track than anything else. I do agree with Sai that there is variation from purchase to purchase, some of our tiles are noticeably "stickier" than others. The reason why I'm leaning more towards the temperature thing is because we are the only track on a second floor with a hardwood floor as well... I'm thinking that the wood floors just allow more heat transmission from the rooms downstairs (they all have their own radiators down there). We've already had people open the windows at the end of the straight and we would all notice a pretty quick change in the level of traction down there. At other tracks, concrete just seems to take the "heat" out of the tiles right away.

We constantly have to re-configure all of our cars everytime we visit other tracks. I remember having my F1 at the DC F1 Enduro last year and having to dial in about 40% more steering just to get around that track. It could be the constant vacuuming I do to the thing too, or as someone said a while back... uh-oh, here comes the Zamboni again! Probably just a combination of all of it really.

Oh well... guess I better get a track setup on some tiles to get tuned up for the Atomic Race! Or hope the mall is nice and warm for the race. I might even start taking a temp gun to events from now on.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, hopefully see you all again sometime in mid-April, but I'm sure I'll see some of you again at the Atomic Race.

Oh... and a huge thanks again to Larry for harassing all of you guys to come to this race too!

imxlr8ed
2008.03.05, 01:56 AM
3010 FET + Atomic Stock motor + 9T + Orion batt = Fast !!! Who needs stacked FET and 2.4ghz?

We all had fun; and the ride home was smooth.

See you next time.

In case any of you DOW guys can come over to NJ, let me know.

That'd be cool with me, PM or email me when you guys are racing next.