PDA

View Full Version : Atomic F1 Damper with PN F1 Motor Mount?

Spoon
2008.02.20, 08:23 PM
Does this combination work together?

briankstan
2008.02.21, 10:41 AM
I need info on this as well.

CristianTabush
2008.02.21, 12:41 PM
I don't see why it would not work. It should be fine.

ruf
2008.02.21, 07:32 PM
I've got a PN motor mount I need to try out. I'll run it tomorrow and report back.

briankstan
2008.02.22, 01:10 AM
I've got a PN motor mount I need to try out. I'll run it tomorrow and report back.

thanks, I have the PN mount and the Atomic damper is the next thing on my list.

ruf
2008.02.24, 06:54 PM
Sorry, been screwing around with the InZane Pro27AAA to mess with the F1 lately. I'll try to get a few runs in this week. I've heard both positive and negative about the motor mount. Some people say it just goes on without any setup changes, others say they just can't get it to work. These guys are running Atomic disk dampers and they are also pretty darned fast so I pay attention when they make comments like that. I'll try to get to the bottom of it.

ruf
2008.03.12, 03:16 AM
Sorry for not getting back to you guys earlier on this. Been busy with the ASF stuff, InZane and AWD setup. Anyways, I just checked out the PN mount, and I have some bad news. It will not fit the Atomic disk damper system without modifications. The area in question is the central post where the disk damper post would screw into. It is in the stock height which is way to high for the disk damper post. It would need to be cut down, drilled and threaded.

mleemor60
2008.03.12, 09:47 AM
Sorry for not getting back to you guys earlier on this. Been busy with the ASF stuff, InZane and AWD setup. Anyways, I just checked out the PN mount, and I have some bad news. It will not fit the Atomic disk damper system without modifications. The area in question is the central post where the disk damper post would screw into. It is in the stock height which is way to high for the disk damper post. It would need to be cut down, drilled and threaded.

Ruf,
How much has to be trimmed, approximately.

Do you think the difference between the plate and the PN little springy thingy is enough to warrant modification?

ruf
2008.03.12, 06:32 PM
A lot. I'll be out of the country until next week so I won't be able to take comparison pics, but it almost looks like the whole post has to be cut off, not leaving a whole lot of meat left for the damper post to attach too.

My latest setup doesn't use side springs. In the past, I've cut up old plastic motor mounts and used longer screws with the Atomic motor mount to have side spring capability. Neither is an optimal solution if your setup requires side springs.

The motor does sit lower without dragging on the PN which is nice. The Atomic has ride height adjustment, but you can't actually go lower than the middle setting (which is the standard setting - same as the old non-adjustable version) without dragging the motor, so it's kind of a useless feature IMO. The second question is would the F1 chassis benefit from being lowered in the rear? Tough to tell at this point. The silly thing is that the PN motor mount doesn't have adjustable ride height even though the motor layout means that it has the ground clearance for it to actually be functional! :confused: To me it's kind of a wash between the two, depending on your setup needs. With some hard work, the PN could be the better of both worlds, and it does have a superior wing mount.

VAzRACER
2008.03.12, 06:49 PM
Well, it sucks to find this out now, I just recived my atomic DD. I'm going to see if I can make it work anyways. I'll be taking a look at it tonight to see how much gets cut off. Even if I cut it and it still doesnt work it wont matter much for me since I dont run a rear shock anyways. If I can get it to work I will post some pics of the results.

ruf
2008.03.12, 07:47 PM
It can definitely be made to work. Let us know how it goes. I'll be back in town next week, and I'll take a swing at it then. I imagine that it will be similar to the modifications I used to to to the stock plastic motor mount.

VAzRACER
2008.03.14, 01:53 PM
Well I made it work, I'm not sold on the way I did it yet but I will wait to see how it works before I change it.

Like RUF said the post is too tall, by about an 1/8 inch. Trimming the post would not leave alot of material to attach the DPS to and seemed a little risky, so I lifted it instead. It does raise the COG a little but it shouldnt affect it too much. I put small spacers under the damper mount, this made me trim a larger hole on the body. I did not like the shock that came with the kit so I fitted the Kyosho shock intead. I had to put a small delrin spacer under the front shock mount to decrease the angle. Doing this made me move the antenna to the side of the chassis. With the side springs in place the rear of the car didnt move side to side much so I took those out and it feels really smooth now.

I have a race this weekend and will test it out then. The car would normally bounce in the rear causing the car to spin, now when I tap the rear suspension the car smoothly returns to neutral with no bounce and just a little bit of droop.

Spoon
2008.03.14, 01:57 PM
Definitely curious to see how this works. Got any pics?

VAzRACER
2008.03.14, 02:46 PM
Definitely curious to see how this works. Got any pics?

Heres the pics as requested.

VAzRACER
2008.03.15, 10:33 AM
I had a chance to put it on the track last night and it did awsome, the rear of the car is planted to the rcp. I did lose a little bit of steering input but turning up the travel fixed that. I normally ran it at about 40% and I turned it up to 50%.

LBRC
2008.07.27, 05:22 AM
Lowered Damper on PN F1 motor mount, now clears body without cutting a hole.
http://lbspd.com/v-web/gallery/albums/album186/Lowered_Damper.sized.jpg

Full bottom spring movement, disk just clears the chassis.
http://lbspd.com/v-web/gallery/albums/album186/Clearing_battery_lid_clip.sized.jpg

Please excuse the paint job itís a work in progress.
http://lbspd.com/v-web/gallery/albums/album186/Atomic_damper_mod_1.sized.jpg

No room for the Atomic damper mount or even metal battery lid clip screws and guide posts, clip is now a permanent part of the chassis, bonded with industrial strength CA then pressed plastic posts flat with a hot iron.
http://lbspd.com/v-web/gallery/albums/album186/Flatten_Posts.sized.jpg

J-B weld good stuff for all practical purposes stronger than screwing a post on. Just needs a little filing and sanding for a cleaner appearance.
http://lbspd.com/v-web/gallery/albums/album186/Post.sized.jpg