PDA

View Full Version : softer tires for the LM bodies?

stuZ
2008.02.29, 04:56 PM
I couldn't help but notice on the autoscale card that came with my ASF
that some tires are available:
MZT301-40 LM High Grip tire set (40*)
MZT302-30 LM Wide High Grip tire set (30*)

These seem to be the stock ones on the car, which are fine for the first few laps, but once dirty, they're very loose on RCP. You can sand them, but they're only good for a run, and then you start spinning and over-steering again.
The fronts are the worst.

My questions to Tim Johnson (or PN Racing and Atomic):
Are we going to see these tires in 10* and 20* compounds in both widths?
Might you have any idea when we'll see them stateside?

Thanks.

Spoon
2008.02.29, 06:36 PM
I couldn't help but notice on the autoscale card that came with my ASF
that some tires are available:
MZT301-40 LM High Grip tire set (40*)
MZT302-30 LM Wide High Grip tire set (30*)

These seem to be the stock ones on the car, which are fine for the first few laps, but once dirty, they're very loose on RCP. You can sand them, but they're only good for a run, and then you start spinning and over-steering again.
The fronts are the worst.

My questions to Tim Johnson (or PN Racing and Atomic):
Are we going to see these tires in 10* and 20* compounds in both widths?
Might you have any idea when we'll see them stateside?

Thanks.

You will definitely see them in 20*, as a matter of fact Kyosho already has part numbers for them. I have never known Kyosho to make a 10* tires so we might have to wait for an aftermarket company to step up.

Part numbers for the tires can be found here.

http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/newparts.html

arch2b
2008.02.29, 07:31 PM
you can count on these to be quick sell outs so pick up what you want when you find them

EMU
2008.02.29, 09:50 PM
I bought 20d rear and 30d front LM tires when I got my autoscale. They have 20d front tires as well. I havent tried them yet...

stuZ
2008.03.01, 01:44 AM
I bought 20d rear and 30d front LM tires when I got my autoscale. They have 20d front tires as well. I havent tried them yet...

was that at your LHS, or somewhere online?

Thanks for the link Spoon.

It looks like we'll have some blue alu. goodies too. Unfortunately no knuckles yet, although these seem like they might be stronger than previous, with that weird diagonal-cylindrical action on the tube.

EMU
2008.03.01, 02:06 AM
I got them from HLJ (Japan). Should be available here soon... They tend to get the new stuff sooner, and have more rare items that we may not see over here. I mainly get bodies from them...

herman
2008.03.06, 06:29 AM
thus the reason for this picture...
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s11/hmc_jr/porsche%20962/IMG_3821.jpg

kinda hard for me at the moment to get lm tires, well any tires at the moment...
since i got more mr02/015 tires, i figured giving the mr02lm new shoes... just to see what they look like...

gone back to the original rims for the time being, but thinking to change the originals out to something like the above... :D

stuZ
2008.03.06, 02:47 PM
herman, have you tried running that on the track?
I did last night and the spur cover kept rubbing on the track and affecting the handling, so I switched back.

arch2b
2008.03.06, 04:20 PM
switch to square inch ups or atomic 21.5mm t.s. wheels.

stuZ
2008.03.07, 05:25 PM
switch to square inch ups or atomic 21.5mm t.s. wheels.
by the time I do all that, the new tires should be here... shouldn't they?:rolleyes:

Tim Johnson
2008.03.07, 05:38 PM
the new tires will be in stock at this shop here soon. :)

EMU
2008.03.07, 05:41 PM
by the time I do all that, the new tires should be here... shouldn't they?:rolleyes:
With the PN/Atomic inch up wheels, there are many more tire options to dial the car in to the specific track you are running.

stuZ
2008.03.08, 04:19 PM
With the PN/Atomic inch up wheels, there are many more tire options to dial the car in to the specific track you are running.

true enough, but I think the Kyosho 20's and 30's will work fine for my club's rcp.
Also, compared with inch ups, the rear LM wheels have a larger OD. I kind of want to run the thing as stock as possible (for a change!).

Thanks for the Heads up Tim!! :D

EMU
2008.03.09, 03:06 AM
Outside diameter of the stock LM rear wheels is the same as standard wheels. 20mm. So the 21 and 21.5mm PN/Atomic wheels are larger. With standard tires, the inch up wheels should be the same as the LM wheels with the high profile tires. I dont know about you, but I would rather use a lower profile tire on a larger rim.

I am planning on trying out the mount/diff with standard narrow wheels for an 015 setup with a Honda Odyssey body :D Should be fun. I am currently using a stock MM motormount with +3mm narrow Atomic TS wheels, which should be about equivalent to using 0mm narrow wheels with the LM mount. Although, I may have to shave a little away on the body, or possibly use negative offset since the body/chassis will be lower.

herman
2008.03.10, 01:33 AM
hmm... just had a thought with regards to the picture i just posted above... will rules allow running different types of rims for the mr02lm chassis?

herman, have you tried running that on the track?
I did last night and the spur cover kept rubbing on the track and affecting the handling, so I switched back.
actually just put the tires on for the pic... actually haven't run it... sad to hear that you won't be able to run it if the spur protector will be affecting the handling...

stuZ
2008.03.10, 02:39 PM
Outside diameter of the stock LM rear wheels is the same as standard wheels. 20mm. So the 21 and 21.5mm PN/Atomic wheels are larger. With standard tires, the inch up wheels should be the same as the LM wheels with the high profile tires. I dont know about you, but I would rather use a lower profile tire on a larger rim.

however, the thickness of the LM wheel w/ tire vs. the 21.5 w/ low-pro tire is still larger. Also, given the scale (no air in the tire, light little toy), I don't really think the 'low-profile' tires will make much of a difference in handling. Low-Pro is to prevent the tire from rolling 'off' of the rim.

Regardless, I'm still planning on running stock wheels. Having said that, I'm having limited success using Simple Green to clean the tires before each run.
It lasts long enough for a 5 minute heat, wears off after a bit for practice though.

stuZ
2008.03.18, 02:20 PM
These are working pretty good for now...
Just Tamiya 4WD mini racer sponge tires.

ocean rodeo
2008.03.18, 11:25 PM
I run the Kyosho Slicks 20 Rear on 3 degree offset PN wheels and PN 10 Fronts on PN 2 degree wheels and my car is hooked up. This is on RCP track of course.

stuZ
2008.04.04, 02:40 AM
The ship finally came into my LHS
MZT301-, 302-20's all around works awesome.