PDA

View Full Version : Introductions

a7i20ci7y
2008.03.06, 08:38 AM
My name's Nate. I'm a computer tech from Virginia Beach. I started out with x-mods and quickly discovered that, while they were great fun, they weren't competitive. So with Arch's help I switched over to mini-z. I quickly discovered that, while the mini-z was competitive, I wasn't. I've been to some events up in DC and made a great mess of things while I was there. But everyone took it in stride, and I've learned quite a bit.

While not driving, I'm usually playing video or table top games.

SoundWave2501
2008.03.06, 09:03 AM
Hey all,
My name is Mike, I am friends with Nate. We try to race on a semi-regular basis, but no where near what we want. I am currently in school studying for a masters degree to the purpose of serving in the USAF as a chaplain. Not too much spare time on my hands, but when I do have it Im either gaming, racing, working, eating, or sleeping. We would like to find some more people in this area, possibly Richmond or Cville to come and race. We look forward to hearing from you.

Action B
2008.03.23, 01:11 AM
Hey everyone, I'm Brandon.

I'm a student at ODU. Its my last semester so i guess I'm going to be a biologist soon, though, I don't feel like much of a scientist. You might catch me around with my girlfriend Maya who races with me. I have been into mini-RC cars for around 5 years all of which i worked on Xmods until about a month ago. Now i sport a sweet lancia delta MA-010. I can't wait to meet up with some fellow racers from the area.
- Brandon w/lancia delta :)

arch2b
2008.03.23, 10:26 AM
nate exaggerates...you guys are not that bad. you have to remember, not everyone has the gift so to speak and some really have to work at it. it's taken me 5 years to get to the middle of the pack in the dc club so i'm by no means a natural either.

all it really takes is practice and i don't get much of that these days either.

the c'ville club is still small, contact spoon.

i'd like to see a couple races in c'vill that way all of us would travel more toward a central point.

i do know i am really looking forward to nekocon again!

a7i20ci7y
2008.03.23, 03:19 PM
Brandon showed some skills. I think with some practice he'll be the man to beat.

For now ;)

Action B
2008.03.24, 01:10 AM
Brandon showed some skills. I think with some practice he'll be the man to beat.

For now ;)

Ah! Yes... Nate, I want to win some actual events. Racing on that RCP track has got me more pumped than ever to race. I hope that we can race some more. Competition amongst us may very well be what we need, I have a feeling that if we practice seriously, we will push each other to be a whole lot better.

Thanks for the encouragement! You say your not that good but your difficult for me, thats for sure. I can see you won't go down easy for me.

dirtymex
2008.03.26, 09:52 AM
Hi i'm maya, i'm mexican. I'm a biology student at ODU graduating in december. Brandon got me into R/C cars and i got my xmod several weeks ago and am trying to improve my skills. I had fun at the first meeting since it was so casual and want to race again.

a7i20ci7y
2008.03.26, 03:41 PM
Maybe now that there's a girl driving, I can talk Angela into trying it. She has an xmod and has never driven it.

Action B
2008.03.26, 04:30 PM
Maybe now that there's a girl driving, I can talk Angela into trying it. She has an xmod and has never driven it.

Is Angela that girl that you brought with you? I can't remember her name, however, I might be bringing a couple more girls who are interested in 1/28. They are Maya's cousins, but sorry guys, considerably younger ;).

I think its a shame more girls don't have hobbies.

Is that kid Justin going to race with us too? Both him and his father seemed very nice.

a7i20ci7y
2008.03.26, 04:33 PM
Na, that was my friend Kim. She helped me get the track to the shop because somebody over slept *cough* Mike *cough*.

I don't know about Justin, I hope so though. Mike gave them contact information so he might have heard from them.

SoundWave2501
2008.03.27, 12:03 AM
I dont know about Justin and Joe. They havent contacted me at all about anything yet. I gave them all the information for the forums and what not as well as my email, but still havent heard. I will keep you posted.

SoundWave2501
2008.03.27, 03:44 PM
Just heard from Joe and Justin. They seem interested and were very happy that we took the time to talk to them. Nate and I have decided to donate my old MR-02 so that we keep the community spirit that we were shown by Ray going on well into the life of the club. Im going to get a 2.4 setup with my tax return as well as another MR-02 chassis and a Helios controller with the mini z module. Good times had by all.

Mike

arch2b
2008.03.27, 06:26 PM
nice to see the pay it foward concept ongoing :)

i should have an mr-02 to donate to your club as well shortly.

jazzyone
2008.03.28, 04:12 PM
my name is jason, and i have had a controller in my hand since i was young, tho i have not previously raced on or in any events. i wanted to say that i received my oval track today so now we have more rcp, even tho we didnt use all the first time, i am confident that we can use it somewhere, i am going to get another one next week. as ive said i will gladly be a part of the club, but i want to introduce you all to something differeent. time will bring all this together, and you will all see what im going for soon. i had fun, thanks for a great time, i look foward to this more and more each day. i have alot of stuff to get together but in time you will know that what im trying to accomplish will entertain you , and many others. i will race, tho i may not be quick enough in my movenents , the younger ones will always be better. here is something i need a hand with. my track is 7'6" tall, making entry into the front of hobbytown not possible, do you guys know if there is a big door that will allow the track inside, if not im gonna need a tent. lol Also, do you guts know how strict the regulations are on the tracks that we can race on, is only rcp allowed. i think the rubber i have makes a better surfaace to race on , because it gives, and i dont think there is any better traction than rubber to rubber. ill end this now, lookin foward to more racin, with comparable cars, setups, and batteries, we can succeed with racing. remember, batteries are your fuel, we all need to be on the same batteries, so we know at which level we all are, which is partially what my wooden track will show you all. soon very soon guys, and gals, a 22 degree banked oval will be at your disposal, but be warned the sides and only plastic, so try not to run into them alot, lol, easy for me to say huh. bye

a7i20ci7y
2008.03.28, 04:25 PM
Hey Jason! There isn't another door at Hobbytown, so we'd need another venue. At Nekocon the track would have no problem (you can drive a tractor trailer in the room we're in). And I know that Byebye is interested in running some nascar spec if he can make the trip. Arch2b has a nascar miniz too.

As for surface, we're only limited to the sactioning body of the event. So HFAY will be run on RCP in pre-determined track layouts and to HFAY specs. But if we host our own event, we host it to our own specifications.

jazzyone
2008.03.28, 04:40 PM
is that to race well you must start off slow, im not sure if you all know so i am going to explain something now. there are these glasses type lcd tv, that i can get, you wear them like glasses, they will be connected to a wireless mini camera mounted in the car of choice, with all intentions included, you will have a virtual front seat view to the rc car of choice. ive seen the lithium run, and my hope is to be in the drivers seat of one on a 2 hundred foot long track, a circle of course. racing with up to 12 other people, you can see the big picture now.i have one camera, and one pair of tv glasses, it might turn out to be bumpy on my current track, but i bought the rcp for the fix until i make the second track. i want to do it with the club, so i can have testers. Please.
the glasses run 170, and the cameras will differ, because i have to deal with the frequencies that they offer, maybe having several different brands to get the most out of racing. keep in mind this is what im working towards, so i dont want anyone thinking i want them to go out and get this stuff and do what im doing. by all means if you wantto do it, its easy, otherwise, ill take care of getting the stuff. id ask that you guys could drive em like ya stole em so i can get testing done. ive tested the track and cars, the tv glasses, and camera, but not yet done them together, i will be soon tho, lol. ill share, ive seen someones video on u tube from them racing the car, but the guy driving was looking at the car, i want to drive with out looking at the car. wicked idea i know, lol. sorry had to say that,lol. it will be easier than your first thought, but way more fun, with digital steering. the new mini-z 2.4 cars worry me with this tho, i will not sweat it, i just may have to do without. i talked to a guy who has 8 mini cameras that can be run independantly from one another, at the same time, i can get 2 sets of 2 which will make 12. i think with all the signals that will be floating around, it may only work in larg areas, or outside, which is ideal. this can work, i know the club is about racing, but what if we brought out own tracks to different places , and set them up outside, or what not. we can show people that it dosent always have to be flat. Ill say it now, and loud, flat racing is boring to me, i can do it, with pratice on a good car, but i prefer banked turns, the speeds are intence, and the rcp can be manipulated.
thanks for listening. break a dogbone ya'll!

jazzyone
2008.03.28, 04:46 PM
the tracks we race on are way to small, by scale. its ok i guess, but i think big. even tho the cars are small.:cool:

Action B
2008.03.28, 04:54 PM
I hope nobody thought I was being unfair with my lithiums. I'd like to get that lap counter going and compare. I have a feeling there is no difference between running liths and AAA on that track we were practicing on in Hobbytown. When I ran AAA i ran about 1/2 throttle most the time. when i ran lithiums i just ran about 1/3 throttle most the time. I could be wrong though, again, why i'd like to see the lap times. Also, there are several components to the cars that make larger differences than batteries.... for instance the biggest change for me was when Mike extended my chassis. By the way... I will still be sporting the Lancia Delta... with slight body modifications :)

Furthermore, I'm rather certain for HFAY it has to be RCP, however, the lap counter will probably work on most softer surfaces, though, I'll race on anything.

Action B
2008.03.28, 05:08 PM
the tracks we race on are way to small, by scale. its ok i guess, but i think big. even tho the cars are small.:cool:

That sounds really intense man.... Is that even financially possible?

I don't mind tracks that aren't flat, I just don't really prefer tracks that only have two turns....and they both go in the same direction.

jazzyone
2008.03.28, 05:24 PM
there dosent have to be only 2 turns, and they dont have to go the same direction. think outside the oval, my first test track is an oval, but sections can be made to make thack pieces bank either way. you will see, think bigger

a7i20ci7y
2008.03.28, 05:44 PM
Nothin's mutually exclusive. We can run ovals and road courses, banked and flat.

Lithiums do offer an advantage, not just in top end but in acceleration and capacity. Not that I think it's a problem in casual practice or in open spec racing. But in spec events, we'll all need to conform to the spec. Next time I'll bring my supra, but I have my doubts about driving that thing on any track. :eek:

Action B
2008.03.28, 07:07 PM
Nothin's mutually exclusive. We can run ovals and road courses, banked and flat.

Lithiums do offer an advantage, not just in top end but in acceleration and capacity. Not that I think it's a problem in casual practice or in open spec racing. But in spec events, we'll all need to conform to the spec. Next time I'll bring my supra, but I have my doubts about driving that thing on any track. :eek:

Agreed, all types of tracks should be raced. Specs when necessary.

The capacity of lithium cells for MA-010 is 500 mah, I think the typical AAA is around 800 or 900 mah. As for the acceleration, true it is better, and lithium does have its advantages, my experience has been that on such a small track, it has more acceleration than you could ever use, and this same acceleration could have been acheived by a lower gearing on AAA batteries if you wanted to overpower your car like that.

The best advantage I saw with the lithium to my recollection was that I couldn't tell when they were going dead. Essentially, they ran the same from the first lap and last lap. This however could also be a disadvantage as mid-race, lithium low voltage cutoff could occur at unexpected times without warning, leaving you stalled on the track.

Lets get your track up and test all of this stuff! With the lap counter it could be a cinch. You could even try it in your car, I have an extra deans plug its just 2 quick soldered wires and done, lithium ready (much better than atomicmods ridiculous hard to reverse lithium setup). I do HOPE that lithium will benefit me though, I'd like the think the money I spent made my car faster on the track.