PDA

View Full Version : Two new boats...questions

Nic-Z
2008.03.08, 02:37 PM
Wow looks pretty dead in here, well worth a shot. I just bought two mini-z formula boats, their fun but I wonder if there are afermarket batteries that have a longer life to them and can I switch the stock open motor to a regular mini-z motor, even better a mod. motor? Would I fry the PCB would I need to switch to a four prop instead of a two prop? just new to the boat scene so any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

dean
2008.03.13, 08:53 AM
Wow looks pretty dead in here, well worth a shot. I just bought two mini-z formula boats, their fun but I wonder if there are afermarket batteries that have a longer life to them and can I switch the stock open motor to a regular mini-z motor, even better a mod. motor? Would I fry the PCB would I need to switch to a four prop instead of a two prop? just new to the boat scene so any help is greatly appreciated. thanks

I have the Formula boat and I am very happy with the performance after addng the aquaspeed motor and upgraded the battery.
From what I experienced the aquaspeed runs best with the stock prop. I will keep experimenting. I do so enjoy the experimenting.
As far as battery choice, I use a 300mah built for the Firebird airplanes by HobbyZone and I charge them with the Mini-T wall charger.(The blue one w/blue led)which is also an excellant choice for charging the stock battery because the trailer charger does not put out a consistant charge as the batteries in the trailer discharge. And they do discharge quick.
I use a single 12vdc automotive directional bulb to discharge my batteries and condition them. Wow what a difference. But I highly recommend to get a stop watch,time the charge and also the discharge. Keep charging the battery 15 seconds longer than the last time until you find that discharge time starts to decrease. You now found your best charge time and with the Mini-T charger it is constant and reliable.
You may disagree with my method of freezing my batteries before and after charging/discharging but it works well for me.
I am getting exactly 5 minutes of race worthy speed.
4 minute races can be especially easily achieved. The charge time is probably around 6 or 7 minutes but it was last year so Im not recolecting exactly how long it was . But It's not like Mini-Z cars that charge for as much as three times that which is a positive note for the boats.

Nic-Z
2008.03.13, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the information, I am looking at making my second boat a beast, putting an atomic stock motor in it with lipo batteries, and stacked fets, I am hoping to get a longer run time out of a larger lipo, maybe 8mins but I will have to test to find the best combo. As for my stock boat your tips on batteries are a tremendous help. I recently somehow had my working second boat go dead on me, and haven't a clue how to diagnoise so back to Kyosho customer car we go.