PDA

View Full Version : RM to MM conversion, help~

philophob
2008.03.10, 09:44 PM
I just got myself RM015 and am enjoying it so much!
Few issues though.
I find RM015 spinning its tail out too much and as newb as I am, I am having hard time learning to drive this thing.
So I dug up some posts here and there on this forum and found out MM is faster and easier to control then RM.
Is there way to convert my RM to MM? I couldn't find detailed posting here about RM to MM conversion.
Is it even possible? or Do I need to get whole new body set for MM?
Forgive me if I am wrong, by the looks of motor housing parts, looks like I can just get the MM015 housing and swap with the RM015 I have now.
Hmm..so much information here and I can't learn fast enough~ :confused:
Can someone here shed some light on my problem?
Mini-z is so addictive!! :D

TheRinger
2008.03.10, 10:02 PM
I just got myself RM015 and am enjoying it so much!
Few issues though.
I find RM015 spinning its tail out too much and as newb as I am, I am having hard time learning to drive this thing.
So I dug up some posts here and there on this forum and found out MM is faster and easier to control then RM.
Is there way to convert my RM to MM? I couldn't find detailed posting here about RM to MM conversion.
Is it even possible? or Do I need to get whole new body set for MM?
Forgive me if I am wrong, by the looks of motor housing parts, looks like I can just get the MM015 housing and swap with the RM015 I have now.
Hmm..so much information here and I can't learn fast enough~ :confused:
Can someone here shed some light on my problem?
Mini-z is so addictive!! :D
Yes they are addictive. I'll try to break it down the best way I can. One thing U can try is running the softest tires in the back and harder tires in the front. Along with suspension tuning, that should solve the spin out problem. For me running 8 degree tires in the back and 15 degree tires in the front with kyosho yellow springs in the front and kyosho soft suspension plate but everyone has there own personal set ups, all U can do is try different setups and see what works best for U. As far as converting your rm car to mm, U can, but U have to buy a special motor pod to do that. Both pn and atomic make a 94mm mid mount motor pod but the shortest wheelbase U can run for this set up is 94mm. If U are running a 86 or 90mm wheelbase, U can't run a mid mount motor set up, only rear or high mount motor pod. Hope this helps. BTW, what car are U running?

HammerZ
2008.03.11, 03:54 AM
Yea, wheelbase can be an issue. From the sound of it, you are using the plastic parts. My MR015 was a chassis kit, it had the MM parts with it with the RM mount installed. I have used the MM setup a few times with it for the longer wheelbased bodies. My problem with the MM is the rear suspension feels too soft for me. Aside from plunking down cash for disk dampners and such, I like the RM setup for it's firmness. RM cars do spin out so softer rear tires are good to have here. I like the RM as it is good for learning throttle control, you get a little happy with it and it tells you by spinning out. Changing the motor mounts are the easy part, and that goes quickly. I guess you have the exploded views and parts listing in your manual, if not you can download those from Kyoshos websites.

There is the option of the alloy 94MM mounts, but that's more money. Also can it be found? As those have been known to sell out fast. I have never seen one that would work on a 90 millimeter wheelbase car.

The body issue can in some ways be done with a few mods, but that can be messy. Need to figure out if there is room inside and how hard it is to relocate the rear wheel opening on the body. Some bodies with flat sides are easy and others have lines in places that a simple cut and fill isn't going to work. Buying a new body that fit's is an easier way to go. This way if you want to change back, that is a good option to keep open.