PDA

View Full Version : 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship

mini-z
2008.03.19, 05:57 AM
Just wondering who else is watching this season and what everyone thinks etc.? :)

wwwes
2008.03.19, 06:40 AM
Hamilton's win was not so surprising, what was surprising to me was the failure of all of the Ferrari cars and their motors. With no traction control we get to see the true skill of the drivers and I was a little surprised at how well Alonso did with what was described as a somewhat slow car. The racing to me is more indicitive of what the fans need more of , actual racing, I hope this is just the start of a great season where there are more than two teams battling for the championship.

simalive
2008.03.19, 07:36 AM
I agree with wwwes.

Also, seems like BMW is really coming up strong this season. They just need better luck next race though.

Massa doesn't look too good at all without traction control this year. I'm buying into the rumor that Vettel to replace Massa for 2009.

Other little tidbits that had me laughing were:

Rosberg's first podium, only had him so excited that he forgot to take off his cap during the national anthem.

And what's up with McLaren's steering wheel buttons? Another "mistake hit" by Hekki this time?

hrdrvr
2008.03.19, 07:43 AM
Pretty exciting race, but from a ferrari fans point of view, it was horrible. I hope 7 finishers isnt a sign of whats to come without drivers aids. Im sure every one will get used to driving without them though.

Massa and Kimi were both ones to slightly overdrive their cars last year. They were both exciting to watch because of that. Their overdriving techniques didnt pay off this race with Massa running off the road in turn one, and Kimi overshooting two different turns while trying to make up time (something he was exceptionally good at last year).

I hope they get it together, and I also hope that Hamilton doesnt run away from the field too much. With a season of experience he could be tough to catch if he builds an early season lead this year. I dont forsee him making rookie mistakes (like he did last year) and giving the championship away.

briankstan
2008.03.19, 10:48 AM
I thought that the race was quite exciting, I'm also a ferrari fan and was a bit disappointed in the ferrari's finishes or lack there of.

I think they will improve on the car for sure. It seems that Kimi had the same problem at the end of the race that he had in qualifying. :mad:

the BMW's had a great race, So did Alonzo for having a car with bad pace, I like that because I can't stand Him :D

My only hope is that more cars can finish the race, more than half the feild crashed out our had technical problems. :eek:

pedrocamp
2008.03.19, 10:55 AM
Bourdais had a great performance, a talanted and smart driver. He is used to driving cars without all the driver aids. Wish his car had not let him down...

DJ Kyosho
2008.03.19, 04:38 PM
That was a very exciting first race. I'm glad they removed traction control this year as F1 has become boring after the first few laps in the last couple of years.

I thought McLaren did really well, better than I expected. I'm an Alonso fan and I was sad not to see him in the top 3. I'm also a honda fan and well, they didn't do too well last race (just like the last few years lol) but the addition of Ross Brawn at least seems promising. Glad to see Sebastian Bourdais score some points also. Been watching him at long beach for the past 3 years.

ruf
2008.03.19, 05:29 PM
Dunno about Bourdais. Off the pace all preseason and all weekend. He did keep his cool and his team got through to the points in a race of attrition, so kudos to him for that. He definitely has the experience and cool, and he did a whole lot better than Piquet, but I don't think he has the pace yet.

Dusty Weasle
2008.03.20, 01:36 AM
It was raining anvils.

Poor Barrichello. The only thing that could have made that pit stop worse was the car bursting into flames.

Renault will be kicking themselves for letting Heikki go. He was such a dedicated team player and they cut him loose for Alonso. Heikki fought well and helped his teammate. If it weren't for that heartbreaking mistake at the end he would have beat Fernando.

Kimi, Kimi, Kimi, what happened at that corner? I have to imagine he went charging in with that fantastic Ice Man confidence to make a thrilling pass. Then, 'round about the apex, thinks “oh, right, no traction control this year”.

Go Hamilton! Go McLaren!

simalive
2008.03.20, 08:22 AM
Kimi, Kimi, Kimi, what happened at that corner? I have to imagine he went charging in with that fantastic Ice Man confidence to make a thrilling pass. Then, 'round about the apex, thinks “oh, right, no traction control this year”.

Yes, surprising to see Kimi made multiple mistakes during a race like that.

One thing I do notice though is people don't call him the Iceman for nothing, as demonstrated last year, he did also make mistakes, but he'd just keep driving and not having a care about previous mistakes, about all the fuss and politics around him and kept driving at his own pace. And eventually prevail (yes...with a bit of luck on his side in the end).

I was not a big Ferrari or Kimi fan, but I'm starting to become one :)
(When's kyosho gonna come out w/ the Kimi F1 autoscale?!? I'll preorder now :D)

DJ Kyosho
2008.11.02, 02:06 AM
The last race of the season is in 9 hours...

Red Team
2008.11.02, 03:42 AM
Any bets ? :D
I'd put my money on Lewis !

Either McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton or Ferrari’s Felipe Massa will be crowned 2008 drivers’ champion at this weekend’s Brazilian Grand Prix. With a seven-point lead, Hamilton is very much the favourite, but as we saw at Interlagos last year - when outsider Kimi Raikkonen came from behind to win - anything is possible. Here is what each man needs in order to take the title…

Hamilton will be champion if:
- He finishes fifth or higher
- He finishes sixth and Massa is second or lower
- He finishes seventh and Massa is second or lower
- He finishes eighth and Massa is third or lower
- He fails to score and Massa is third or lower

Massa will be champion if:
- He wins and Hamilton finishes sixth or lower
- He finishes second and Hamilton is eighth or lower

If the pair are tied on points at the end of Sunday afternoon (which would happen is Massa wins with Hamilton sixth, or if Massa finishes second with Hamilton eighth), Massa would win the title by virtue of more victories (six to Hamilton’s five) or more second-place finishes (three to Hamilton’s two).

In the constructors’ championship, Ferrari’s 11-point advantage over McLaren heading to Brazil puts them in a powerful position, while BMW Sauber’s 10-point deficit to McLaren means they still have an outside chance of stealing second place.

hrdrvr
2008.11.02, 09:25 AM
Ive got it set to record, and Im waiting on it to start. Ive only missed a few races this year (gotta luv DVR!) and dont plan on issing this one. As a ferrari fan, all I can hope for is some type of miracle like last year. I wont wish anything bad on Lewis, but I hope Massa is in position to take advantage if something should go wrong for Mclaren :D

briankstan
2008.11.02, 09:54 AM
Ive got it set to record, and Im waiting on it to start. Ive only missed a few races this year (gotta luv DVR!) and dont plan on issing this one. As a ferrari fan, all I can hope for is some type of miracle like last year. I wont wish anything bad on Lewis, but I hope Massa is in position to take advantage if something should go wrong for Mclaren :D

+1 for me.

I have nothing against Mclaren, they are a great team, but for some reason I just don't like Lewis that much, he is a great driver, a bit aggressive sometimes, but I guess that is was makes a him a great driver too. I liked when Kimi was racing for Mclaren, but they couldn't give him a reliable car.

Anyway this has been an exciting year, with BMW, Torro Rosso, and Toyota coming on strong the last half of the season. and with both BMW and Torro Rosso taking they maiden pole positions and wins this year. A Toyota is 2nd on the grid in the last race, a first on the front row for 3 years.

I'm just sad this is the last race of the season, and to think that next year they won't even have a race in North America is just terrible.

from the talk on speed they are even thinking of using a spec engine provided by a 3rd party, which both Ferrari and Toyota have stated that if that happens they would have no need to race F1 any longer. that would be a very sad day for the sport.

It looks like ferrari will take the Manufacturing Champoinship, and without something crazy happening the Divers Wold Champion will be Lewis Hamilton.

I'll finish with GO MASSA !!

hilldebrandt
2008.11.02, 12:56 PM
Well Lewis does it, the snotnosed brat ! LOL

Gee, I wonder who got paid to give him the 5th spot, being as the Panasonic car just happened to pull over and let Hamilton go by for 5th near the final turn.
Exciting ? Yes !
Politics ? YOU BETCHA !!

It was a good race though....:D

marc
2008.11.02, 02:40 PM
All I can say is Danica Patric is HOT and I hope she wins another race!

DJ Kyosho
2008.11.02, 02:45 PM
Gee, I wonder who got paid to give him the 5th spot, being as the Panasonic car just happened to pull over and let Hamilton go by for 5th near the final turn.
Exciting ? Yes !
Politics ? YOU BETCHA !!

It was a good race though....:D

I was thinking the same thing lol. Either way, it was probably one of the most exciting race for me. Gives me inspiration / motivation to race f1 in the worlds. :D

cowboysir
2008.11.02, 03:22 PM
Being the hugest Felipe Massa fan on the planet, I have to give him credit for being the gracious second place finisher in the championship...not only did he sum it up perfectly by saying "that's racing" but he gave credit to where it belonged.

To the Winningest Constructor Team of all time.:D

I honestly don't see how Glock could've lost a 16 second lead in one lap but I really hope it doesn't come to an inquiry because I'm really tired of the off track drama. In my mind the better driver did what he needed to do...and lost it on the last corner to Lewis Hamilton.:D

Way to go, Massa.;)

cowboysir
2008.11.02, 03:25 PM
All I can say is Danica Patric is HOT and I hope she wins another race!

marc, you profane the F1 championship talking of a lesser driver in a lesser series...to even compare them is like saying I should be driving in the F1 championship.:rolleyes:

Sorry man but you deserve that for degrading the premier league with talk of a Cart/IRL racer...even if she's smoking hot.:D

eztuner12
2008.11.02, 07:36 PM
I am defiantly a Massa & Raikkonen fan, as well as Ferrari. I only have to say that the Ferrari team should make mayor changes in their pit crew:mad:, to me thy are the worst in the F-1 Champoinship.
Cheers

CristianTabush
2008.11.02, 10:36 PM
Glock did not slow down. It was Toyota's strategy not to change to wet tires. Trulli was also on dry tires and had a last lap in the 1:40's, just like Glock. Lewis won it properly. Got a little help in the process, but again, wouldn't have happened if no rain had been there in the first place as he was sitting comfortably in 4th.

All I have to say is go McLaren! Been a fan since I was 3 years old...

As for all you ferrari fans, thanks for celebrating!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erVfEs5-p-w Minute 2:10... Classic!

will3kgt
2008.11.03, 12:01 AM
Did you see Massa's dad's face when he realized his kid didn't win the world champoinship in their hometown?....Priceless. I guess F1 doesn't stand for Ferrari 1st this season.;) If Ferrari gets a more disciplined pit crew (and Alonso in their car) they'll have a much better shot....By the way, I can't stand Alonso but to win and podium as many times as he did in that car is nothing short of amazing, it's a shame he couldn't have co-existed w/Lewis at McLaren, they would have embarrassed Ferrari on a bi-weekly basis as they did last season before they fell out. Aside from the politics, these last two seasons have been the best I've seen in since the Senna and Prost era...That's something all of us F1 fans can agree on.

Dusty Weasle
2008.11.03, 12:32 AM
WOW! It's been a tremendous season that lived up to expectations. That final race my wife and I were shouting at the screen... and she's not into racing! (Or so she claims, but I think F1 has converted her :D).

YEAH LEWIS and McLaren! I thought he had it lost and was dumbstruck to see him fade in the rain. I couldn't believe it. Vettel charging up, and that last minute falter from Timo, the dash to the finish. A-mazing!

Now that Lewis got his championship, despite the astonishingly obvious Ferrari bias by the Stewards (though we'll have to watch the press for another week to be sure... :rolleyes:), I can safely root for Massa in '09.

It was heart wrenching to see the jubilation of Phillipe and his family ripped cruelly from their grasp. I've heard Phillipe called too erratic and a whiner, too immature for the seat. But he showed tremendous loyalty and spirit in that first drive for Ferrari, even when it looked like he'd be dumped for another driver. Massa will have his championship soon enough.

But now they all have to watchout for Vettel. Just 144 days away! :p

CristianTabush
2008.11.03, 12:53 AM
Did you see Massa's dad's face when he realized his kid didn't win the world champoinship in their hometown?....Priceless. I guess F1 doesn't stand for Ferrari 1st this season.;) If Ferrari gets a more disciplined pit crew (and Alonso in their car) they'll have a much better shot....By the way, I can't stand Alonso but to win and podium as many times as he did in that car is nothing short of amazing, it's a shame he couldn't have co-existed w/Lewis at McLaren, they would have embarrassed Ferrari on a bi-weekly basis as they did last season before they fell out. Aside from the politics, these last two seasons have been the best I've seen in since the Senna and Prost era...That's something all of us F1 fans can agree on.

AMEN!!!

I concurr on Alonso being an amazing pilot. The turn-around he did in that car is nothing short of incredible. Maybe next year we will have a 3 car battle!

Hunty
2008.11.03, 01:19 AM
Well what i seen is Glock Slow right down lettin lewis hamilton passed him witch kinda annoyed me because i am a Ferrari fan aslso witch i realy hate BIG HEAD LEWIS HAMILTON :)

mini-z
2008.11.03, 05:20 AM
:eek: What an a amazing race! Definitely one of the most exciting seasons I can remember! I'm surprised I didn't damage my vocal chords with all the shouting I was doing during the last couple of laps! Check out this F1 sale we're having in celebration of this season's dramatic conclusion:

http://shop.tinyrc.com/news.php

:cool: :)

Red Team
2008.11.03, 07:27 AM
Well, another great race, the rain was again a big factor and the last laps were very exciting.
As Massa said, that's racing and if that stupid incident when refuling was not happend few races ago, Massa could be the Champion. But the show must go on. Now, they have to watch for Vettel ;)

cowboysir
2008.11.03, 07:51 AM
these last two seasons have been the best I've seen in since the Senna and Prost era...That's something all of us F1 fans can agree on.

Unfortuately, i'd have to disagree with you there...the racing and the battles have been good but i feel very strongly that the over regulation of technology and the constant changing of rules has really affected my enjoyment level of the premier class.

If it was all about saving money, why do Eccelstone and Mosley keep requiring and implementing rule changes that require epic car chnages and epic amounts of rebuilding, research, development and testing?

This year has been good (except for some minor courtroom dramas( but I'd love to see the days of a true open class, where true technological advances and a variety of engine specs (like when V8's, 10's and 12's all raced against each other) and the days of a 30 car grid and a two day pole position format.

Just wait for next years additional draconian regs:
Spec slicks (why not have a tire war again?)
huge aero changes (clean up the airflow behind the car snd lower downforce)
KERS (kinetic recovery will kill some pit crew member....just wait:rolleyes:)

On a bit of a sidenote, I'd like to thank David Coulthard and Rubens Barrichello for their racing efforts over the past 15 years. With DC retiring and Rubens future in doubt, I thought everyone should know the years spent in F1 have been very enjoyable for me to watch and it's a shame that experience like theirs can be used forever. Both of these drivers have a true understanding of their racecraft and gave real meaning to the word "Team". In this day of "driver first and team second" it's getting rarer to see fellows like them that appreiciate their team first.

They will be missed.;)

doug01n
2008.11.03, 08:09 AM
As a Brazilian man, i was shouting at the screem, and the final laps was very dramatic for me.

All I have to say is that both are great pilots, and Hammilton realy deserves the championship.

I'm expecting next year, with Massa being #1 pilot, and a better pit crew... I'm a huge fan of him, as I was of Senna.

eztuner12
2008.11.03, 10:17 AM
Seena, I knew him personally and he was a reckless driver and he new it and was very proud of it, he drove like that as an strategy to make afraid other drivers, sorry to say but fortunely he kill him self before he kill some one else, some thing many friends commented to him and he only laugh about it.
RIP Ayrton, so sorry my friend.

eztuner12
2008.12.01, 06:58 PM
So F-1 is working to change their championship points system for 2009. They intend to go by race winning positions, who ever wing more race at the end of the championship gets 1st place Year world champion, 2nd more wins Sub-champ and so on.
It sounds very fair to me. What do you think?
Cheers

cowboysir
2008.12.01, 09:44 PM
To be honest, I think it's really ridiculous. To reward drivers that finish on the podium and not other drivers for competing to their utmost(even if they have shizen cars or unfortunate incidents) means that drivers will tootle if they have no chance of getting top three. I see it being very demoralizing to drivers and teams of the second and third tier classifications.

I feel that they (FIA) should return the points system to the previous system. Points are given for the top six and the difference between first and second is a bigger gap. That way teams can still compete for standings and the reward for first is much higher...

Now that Schumi is gone (:()and the top teams are at a similar level, racing with this points system would still allow for a close finish at seasons end.

eztuner12
2008.12.01, 10:19 PM
Good point cowboysir,
But their point is, who ever wins more races in the championship, should be the champ.
Lets wait for the voting outcome.
Cheers

JacobFeinstein
2008.12.01, 11:14 PM
I think its crazy to take consistency out of the equation. This proposed system makes podiums worth far less, and despite efforts to somehow make the races more exciting the new system will undermine the reliability of the car and the drivers.

Rune
2008.12.05, 03:57 AM
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72322

Really sad news guys.
Honda is pulling out of F1.

briankstan
2008.12.05, 08:10 AM
-2 more from the a small field already after Super Aguri dropped because of funding issues.

I'm hopeful that we don't have any other teams drop from the field before the season starts.

Rune
2008.12.05, 08:46 AM
-2 more from the a small field already after Super Aguri dropped because of funding issues.

I'm hopeful that we don't have any other teams drop from the field before the season starts.

The question is what will Toyota do when their biggest rival has pulled out. And if Toyota also decides to pull the plug. Then what will williams do regarding engines.

The Honda team is up for sale, and Ross Brawn are suspected to have a deal on Ferrari engines ready.

I hope that at least 18 cars will be on the grid next year, but it doesnt look good.

Cosworth has offered a standard engine for everyone for £5.49 million. This is a three year cost.

Hopefully this can save the ones with financial problems. It was also stated the the teams that wanted to use theire own engines were allowed to do that, as long as it doesnt give any performance advantage.

eztuner12
2008.12.05, 01:03 PM
Well guys.
This dose not look good since FIA is pushing for the uni-engine and Ferrari & Mercedes have announced they will pull out if this uni-engine is approved. Not a good scenario what so ever:eek::(;
Cheers

cowboysir
2008.12.05, 05:17 PM
I thought I posted the news this morning about unified engine plans...

Cosworth engine and Xtrac gearbox for everyone or own engine/xtrac gearbox for those (like ferrari0 who'd want their own engine.

either way, looks like a small field for 2010 F1 if these rules happen...it'd be unlikely any top tier team will want spec gearbox if they use their own engine.:(

cowboysir
2009.03.10, 10:22 AM
Anybody notice the news about Honda F1?

The team and essentialls have been purchased by a consortium led by Ross Brawn and will be using Mercedes engines for their powerplant.:eek:

In testing at a recent Catalunya event they posted fourth fastest with 82 laps under their belt.:eek:

I look forward to a return for Ross Brawn/Jenson Button...even though it's a Merc engine it'll be nice to see the remnants of the Honda team back in action.

eztuner12
2009.03.11, 12:28 AM
Anybody notice the news about Honda F1?

The team and essentialls have been purchased by a consortium led by Ross Brawn and will be using Mercedes engines for their powerplant.:eek:

In testing at a recent Catalunya event they posted fourth fastest with 82 laps under their belt.:eek:

I look forward to a return for Ross Brawn/Jenson Button...even though it's a Merc engine it'll be nice to see the remnants of the Honda team back in action.

Hi cowboysir
Thx for the good news man:).
Cheers

eztuner12
2009.03.20, 06:12 PM
So it was decided by FIA that the 2009 champ would be by the # of won races, not by accumulated points. I like that!:)
Cheers

Rune
2009.03.20, 06:19 PM
So it was decided by FIA that the 2008 champ would be by the # of won races, not by accumulated points. I like that!:)
Cheers
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73810

Now it looks as they will wait until 2010 to introduce this.

I am nonetheless really looking forward to the season opener. The BrawnGP car looks stunningly fast in testing, McLaren seems slow, and the team are expecting lower half of the grid (maybe they are sandbagging). Ferrari and Renault looks quite godd, and so do BMW. Red Bull is a littlebit of dark horse, but expect Vettel to shine again.

Bring it on.

eztuner12
2009.03.20, 07:44 PM
Hi Rune.
Ok ,so FIA, has said it is willing to postpone it till 2010. Well time is runing they have to make a final decision soon
Thanks for the latest up-date
Cheers
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9036.html

eztuner12
2009.03.21, 04:24 PM
Hi Rune.
Ok ,so FIA, has said it is willing to postpone it till 2010. Well time is runing they have to make a final decision soon
Thanks for the latest up-date
Cheers
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/3/9036.html

Yep it’s a fact they’ll wait until 2010.

cowboysir
2009.03.21, 07:27 PM
I think it's time to start a "2009" version of F1 discussion.;)