PDA

View Full Version : Steering Fried, but NOT fets?

stuZ
2008.03.21, 03:09 PM
Hello All,
I have a couple of MR-02's with a sticky servo box, and unfortunately it has fried the steering so that is stuck turned full to one side. This is not a mechanical problem, nor is it a fet or pot or motor problem as I have tried replacing them all. I believe I have the 'sticky gear box' problem solved, but now on to the electronics.

I believe that the added strain of turning the motor against the sticky servo gear box fried something before the fets.
If anybody knows a fix for this your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stu

Jebroni
2008.04.09, 08:29 AM
Hello All,
I have a couple of MR-02's with a sticky servo box, and unfortunately it has fried the steering so that is stuck turned full to one side. This is not a mechanical problem, nor is it a fet or pot or motor problem as I have tried replacing them all. I believe I have the 'sticky gear box' problem solved, but now on to the electronics.

I believe that the added strain of turning the motor against the sticky servo gear box fried something before the fets.
If anybody knows a fix for this your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stu

I believe you may have the same issue I have.... is it really hard to turn them back to straight with your hands once they go the side??? If so, you have pressure on wires, or a wire going into your servo or POT could be the issue... Let me know what you find out partner

stuZ
2008.04.19, 02:17 PM
That is exactly what I thought, so I took them apart, but found no stray or binding wires or anything.
What I eventually found was that the servo gearbox sometimes requires a
little shim on the shaft between the 1st and 3rd gear to keep them from binding on the 2nd.
I have 4 mr-02's. all of them have been torn down and rebuilt or just plain built from the ground up. Some require the shim, others don't. One developed the sticky steering after months of being ok, that was the most recent, and most frustrating because it fried the steering on a 3010 board and was one of my tried and true racers. I have lost 2 kyosho boards and 1 Iwaver board to this.
I have rebuilt (many times) 5 OL's, 10 mr-01's and 5 awd's as well as the 02's,
so I have a little bit of experience with these things, and this has been the most frustrating, mysterious and expensive problem that I have encountered. I really wish I could repair those boards, especially the Kyosho ones.

Whatever you do, don't run that thing until you can easily turn the wheels side to side with the batteries in (you'll be amazed how much that contributes to binding!).

Kyosho Mini-Z Servo Gear Shaft Set [Parts # MZ8-3] is what you'll need to get the shims. I got it at RCKenon. Good Luck.

Stu

pomme de terre
2008.04.19, 09:18 PM
Last resort would be to do this (halfway down the page)
http://www.minizcanada.com/tech/radio.php

stuZ
2008.04.27, 03:41 PM
Last resort would be to do this (halfway down the page)
http://www.minizcanada.com/tech/radio.php

Do you mean adjust the steering pot? I think it's beyond that. Thanks, though.