PDA

View Full Version : PN f1 rcp tires

hpgod
2008.03.27, 07:01 AM
Any one tried them yet out at PN yet. Pn6,8 rear and 15/20 fronts? I hope the grip improves like it does in the Mr02s compared to the kyosho 20 compound.

briankstan
2008.03.27, 10:41 AM
I'm also interested to know if anyone has given these a try.

hpgod
2008.03.27, 11:21 AM
We have a local rcp track where kyosho tires just do not work good. Pn and reflex are dialed on the mr02, but the F1 class is miserable due to the lack of traction. Kyosho 20s work good on my personel rcp track and other custom mat track we race on. I will have mine to test next week.

Z_408
2008.03.27, 02:48 PM
What really works well at our track are Kyosho 20 rear and Kyosho 40 front. I will be getting some of the PN's today. I will keep you posted.

mikez
2008.03.27, 11:43 PM
Today I got some rcp 8's and they are much better than the kyosho 20's! I drove about 4 packs with them and they are not fully broken in yet because I can still c the grove in the middle. These tiers are a 10/10 because they forced me to soften up the suspension in the front with kyosho 30's.:D

pinoyboy
2008.03.31, 03:45 PM
I tried the 6 rears. I think these are good replacement for the Kyosho 20 rears. My F1 feels alot more stable and should get even better when they get worn in. They're are just a bit cheaper than the Kyosho's too:p

ruf
2008.03.31, 03:47 PM
The 6's are going to be the tire to run... The 8's might be good for hot weather though. The Kyosho 20's seem to fall inbetween imo.

briankstan
2008.03.31, 03:59 PM
doesn't Kyosho have some 10 rear tires? anyone run them?

LBRC
2008.03.31, 05:18 PM

PN: MFT01-10R

Shallow ribs, very soft.

Have two F-1 daily drivers, one set up for foam rears and one for Kyosho 20’s, tried them on both but didn’t really have any use for them. Not as squirrelly as the uber soft Atomic’s and to be fair with a little work re-tuning after the shallow ribs wear down and you're left with slicks might have had possibilities.

Like the idea of the PN 6’s and 8’s being on either side of the Kyosho 20’s, that could be useful especially if there is only slightly more and less grip

VAzRACER
2008.03.31, 05:34 PM
I had a chance to use 6 degree rears and 15 degree fronts, the front tires I choose had too much grip. The 6 degree rears had plenty of grip. I normally run kyosho 30 fronts and 20 rears, when I paired the kyosho 30 front with the PN 6 rears they had the same amount of grip as the kyosho 20 rears. They are a good tire but I still prefer kyosho's for my setup.

VAzRACER
2008.03.31, 05:37 PM

Yes they do have 10 rears, I have a set but have never used them. I know one person that did try them a few weeks ago but I think the tires were old because they had no grip at all.

ruf
2008.03.31, 05:46 PM
They weren't old. The 10's are way too soft and have no grip. Tough lesson that helped me win in 05. Thanks Aaron! :p

SaiTam
2008.03.31, 08:13 PM
The Kyosho 20 works well for me for the rear.

I use either Kyosho 23; 25 or 30 in the front to adjust to the track.

Cherub1m
2008.04.01, 08:49 AM
I tried the pn 6 degree rears at the atomic race with new kyosho 30 fronts and the car over steered. With used (grove worn out) front kyosho 30 the car pushed I got the same result using used kyosho rear with that same set up. In short the used kyosho 20 degree rear and new PN 6 degrees rear seem to have the same traction. Maybe new kyosho 20's would have more grip or a better broken in PN 6 degree will have better grip.

Sai where did you get Kyosho 23, and 25 for F1? I could have used some 25 when my F1 was pushing with the 30 fronts.

hpgod
2008.04.01, 11:35 AM
I wonder if the tires getting softer compound that they are squirming on the rim causing less grip. I might try them taped to the rims. The same compounds in mr02s locally generate a tone of more grip for an speed increase of 4-5ths a lap (5 seconds)

I think this might be a small problem I have been chasing lately with really worn down kyosho 20s also that had been softened. With the mr02 44 touth spur I can run tire down really small and add rear grip on a couple of our really low bite local tracks.

I glue is needed here is how i would glue the tires
I ran so low I tore the cap off my atomic stock-r motor recently. If I try it I would glue the outside lip first, unfold the tire, spread the ca (slow dry CA) on the rim then flip the tire back over the rim. They glue the inner lip on the tire to the rim.

My testing time in usually limited to running a mr02 with a indestructable clk-d2 body so my 18 month old daughter can play with the car also. Every minute or two she wants to drive/ pick up the car. The test time for my f1and mr02 mods car is very limited to when she is sleeping.

Hank aka Pinoyboy you got time to test it? I know you are perfecting your 02s right now and been running packs every day.

ruf
2008.04.01, 12:33 PM
We've always taped F1 tires. They do squirm on the wheel otherwise. The 10's are just too soft whether grooved or worn down to slicks. I WANT them to work, but they just don't.

The 6's take some time to get broken in, but I think they have more grip than the 20's at Kenon. Keep in mind that you may have different results at your track. I'll have Cristian send me some grooved 6's and try those out. I have a feeling those will be the hot ticket.

pinoyboy
2008.04.01, 01:50 PM
I haven't taped/glued my 6 rears and they ran better than the Kyosho 20s. I'm sure if I do though, I'll get even better results.:D

Art, as far as my mr-02, I haven't really ran it as I've been messing with a RC18TI picked up recently. I'm not gonna bother with the ASF, as it might give me problems. I'll probably end up transferring my whole setup to my AD band car

Cherub1m
2008.04.01, 02:03 PM
I haven't taped/glued my 6 rears and they ran better than the Kyosho 20s. I'm sure if I do though, I'll get even better results.:D

Art, as far as my mr-02, I haven't really ran it as I've been messing with a RC18TI picked up recently. I'm not gonna bother with the ASF, as it might give me problems. I'll probably end up transferring my whole setup to my AD band car

Ill try taping them, and brake them in some more and see.

hpgod
2008.04.01, 03:00 PM
Time to break out the tape and the cordless drill with my groove tool to groove the tires.

hpgod
2008.04.01, 08:23 PM
I studied a set of pn6s tonight on the bench compared to a set of kyosho 20s. With a slight side pressure the sides peel up, the side walls are definately thinner and may be causing lose of grip. I ended up taping them using 2 strip of pn front tape, and gluing the side wall to the rim then shallow groving them.

Follow up. I tried a couple minute run on a dirty track mini96 track in my garage right before bed last night. gluing/taping/grooving improved forward grip noticabley. I was running very worn kyosho 30s up I was still over steering but it was consistant in the corner and not edgey. The mods are a definate plus for forward grip.

EMU
2008.04.07, 05:01 PM
I ran some PN 6d slicks in the rear with 30d Atomic slicks in the front. Car balance was very good at my local track. I only had problems with the car glitching all over the place. I am going to have to replace the electronics before I run it again. This car had issues right out of the box. I relocated the antenna to the side, and it helped... but the steering still jitters a lot.

I didnt glue the tires, just a little tire tape to hold them in place.

Cherub1m
2008.04.07, 10:20 PM
I ran some PN 6d slicks in the rear with 30d Atomic slicks in the front. Car balance was very good at my local track. I only had problems with the car glitching all over the place. I am going to have to replace the electronics before I run it again. This car had issues right out of the box. I relocated the antenna to the side, and it helped... but the steering still jitters a lot.

I didnt glue the tires, just a little tire tape to hold them in place.

Hey EMU

My F1 had jitters out of the box, to fix it I put some comm drops in the pot and worked it in well, that helped me alot. If it is a true glitch well good luck:D

RussF
2008.04.25, 09:57 AM
I got a chance to try the PN 6 rear tires and the PN front 15's at our club track. They hooked up great. I finally got my suspension working good after installing the PN motor mount and Kyosho shock. I also bought some PN 20 fronts. I think they would work well as I had plenty of front grip but could have used a smidge more rear end bite.

EMU
2008.04.25, 12:57 PM
I used the PN 20d front tires. The car pushed a bit. Granted, I have the chassis set up to push. Since I could not get enough rear grip with the 30d Kyosho front tires. After switching to the PN, now I am concidering trying the PN 8d rear tires which I have heard has less grip than the Kyosho 20d rear. As shocking as it sounds...

I will try the 15d fronts before making a switch in the rear. My 20d Kyoshos are basically slicks. I am waiting on the 6d grooved tires now. The 6d slicks had a little improvement over the 20d slicks. Now that I have the 20d PN front tires in, I had to switch back to the Kyosho 20d rear tires to get the car to rotate a little more. I guess it will take a little while to find the perfect balance for the track.

I would rather push a little than have the car fighting for rear traction. I am using the red springs in the rear with carbon side plates loose, with Kyosho top shock and PN motormount.

Bash, did you use the slicks in the rear or the grooved tires?

Philip, I tried the comm drop trick you suggested. It was an improvement, although did not solve it for me. I ended up adjusting the pot on the board, and that really helped. I adjusted my sub trim to recenter my controller. Much better. I have very little glitching now. I must have disassembled the servo about 10 times, making small adjustments and cleaning it out... I was close to changing the electronics. I am going to change the electronics on my old F1 that had a 3004 fet board. I just need to finish up the servo. But with so many other projects, that will have to wait.

briankstan
2008.04.25, 02:13 PM
Bash, did you use the slicks in the rear or the grooved tires?

he is using the 6 grooved tires. I also ran them and I'm very pleased with the way they handle.

I have not tried the fronts yet, but will be giving them a try.

Cherub1m
2008.04.29, 12:12 PM
Philip, I tried the comm drop trick you suggested. It was an improvement, although did not solve it for me. I ended up adjusting the pot on the board, and that really helped. I adjusted my sub trim to recenter my controller. Much better. I have very little glitching now. I must have disassembled the servo about 10 times, making small adjustments and cleaning it out... I was close to changing the electronics. I am going to change the electronics on my old F1 that had a 3004 fet board. I just need to finish up the servo. But with so many other projects, that will have to wait.

Hey Eugene

Glad you were able to fix it without needing new electronics.

EMU
2008.04.29, 12:57 PM
I found a good balance with the PN 20d fronts, and worn Kyosho 20d rears. With the PN 6d, I had too much push. I still have push with the PN 20d fronts, I made a mistake to use the 15d fronts during the main, and I had a little too much front bite. The rear was hard to keep from breaking traction. I felt faster on the off throttle corners, but the on throttle corners I had to fight the car too much. I am going to be using the PN 20d in front next race.

Thanks for the pointer Philip ;) the car barely had any glitching last race :D