PDA

View Full Version : i guss im the only one with a firelap

yamar6
2008.04.02, 01:41 AM
my firelap.i guss im the only one with a firelap

EMU
2008.04.02, 02:00 AM
You will find that many have had them, but upgraded to Mini-Z's. I have had many Iwaver 01s and a couple 02s, which became Firelap. None of them worked correctly. Allways something with the electronics. Back then, the plastic was very brittle. Plastic has improved, but from what I have seen, electronics are the same.

As a toy to play with in the house, they work fine. To race on a track, you become a spectator with a headache quickly.

If Firelap/Iwaver can pull their act together, I would get another. Although right now, I cant consider it, unless I want to gut it and make it a project car.

I hope your car works well, and wish you the best in racing it. It looks good ;) If looks would win races (not my looks, my cars)... I would be the first loser! I stopped caring about how my cars look, just about how they perform.

Jebroni
2008.04.02, 08:03 AM
You will find that many have had them, but upgraded to Mini-Z's. I have had many Iwaver 01s and a couple 02s, which became Firelap. None of them worked correctly. Allways something with the electronics. Back then, the plastic was very brittle. Plastic has improved, but from what I have seen, electronics are the same.

As a toy to play with in the house, they work fine. To race on a track, you become a spectator with a headache quickly.

If Firelap/Iwaver can pull their act together, I would get another. Although right now, I cant consider it, unless I want to gut it and make it a project car.

I hope your car works well, and wish you the best in racing it. It looks good ;) If looks would win races (not my looks, my cars)... I would be the first loser! I stopped caring about how my cars look, just about how they perform.

I can vouch for Emu's statement. I met him in PA a month ago and his cars are a work of art, and he is the most knowledgeable person I have met. With that in mind, get yourself a Z, but lock your doors tight, lol. About him saying he doesn't care about looks, he had all his cars in 3 duffle bags, and used a potato chip as a front windshield for his mod car....... ok, just kidding about the chip thing, but still, this guy knows his s#^t

yamar6
2008.04.02, 10:48 AM
thanks, i bought it to see if i like it.if the car is junk. i was going to put a 2.4 but to much money.Im going with a atomic board i found them around 50.00. there getting good feedback.i think the plastic will hold up.

yamar6
2008.04.02, 10:50 AM
EMU 1 Q.i have a mini z boat with FM.can i put that in the firelap or it won't work.or just go with the atomic electronics.You will find that many have had them, but upgraded to Mini-Z's. I have had many Iwaver 01s and a couple 02s, which became Firelap. None of them worked correctly. Allways something with the electronics. Back then, the plastic was very brittle. Plastic has improved, but from what I have seen, electronics are the same.

EMU
2008.04.02, 12:47 PM
I have never even seen a boat in person... I think that if you can fit the boats electronics into the chassis, it should work. You may have to make some wiring adjustments... I would stick with the car PCBs personally.

yamar6
2008.04.02, 03:39 PM
did you ever try the new atomic board.I have never even seen a boat in person... I think that if you can fit the boats electronics into the chassis, it should work. You may have to make some wiring adjustments... I would stick with the car PCBs personally.

neweraz84
2008.04.02, 05:28 PM
interested in selling ur firelap? lol jus curious

yamar6
2008.04.02, 07:30 PM
how much.it's never been used.interested in selling ur firelap? lol jus curious

hrdrvr
2008.04.02, 08:37 PM
Ive got a Firelap Im taking on as a project. All the soldering to the board has been redone (its never good) and the FETs have been replaced with 4562s. So far I havent been able to run it much. Ive got one of the new porsche 962s and the tires dont hook up good enough to race. Im going to be switching it over the a different body and giving it a chance on the track.

yamar6
2008.04.02, 09:36 PM
im going to the track friday see how it goes.i found toyeast is selling the 2.4 radio and board for 135.00.thats not bad if the plastic holds up i might do that.i thought it would be alot more money.someone asked if i would sell it i don't know i realy like to get back into racing.where do you race.plus resoldering did that help any.Ive got a Firelap Im taking on as a project. All the soldering to the board has been redone (its never good) and the FETs have been replaced with 4562s. So far I havent been able to run it much. Ive got one of the new porsche 962s and the tires dont hook up good enough to race. Im going to be switching it over the a different body and giving it a chance on the track.

hrdrvr
2008.04.03, 07:53 AM
A few of the guys at my office are into Zs too, so we built a track room and track out back :D Its a cool set up. I think Ill get a thread started in the track section later today showing some pics.

All the soldering helped a lot. It is a lot less glitchy now. Also Ive owned 2 Iwaivers and now 2 Firelaps, and all of them have had power problems (car shutting down on small impacts) or the steering will just go out. This new FireLap that is totally reslodered doesnt seem to have those problems right now. As I track test it more, Ill know if it can hold up.

neweraz84
2008.04.03, 02:48 PM
Give me a price. I would like to get one for great deal.

yamar6
2008.04.03, 05:43 PM
i just got back from the hobby store and bought a bunch of stuff for it.toyeast has them for 45.00 they only have the blue F4 like mineGive me a price. I would like to get one for great deal.

yamar6
2008.04.03, 06:05 PM
can the firelap board handle a speedy practice mod. motor with stock fets

yamar6
2008.04.03, 09:22 PM
your lucky i did not sell it to you.the car is a junk.i will never buy a iwaver or firelap again.the ent. button works don't work i have to hit T1 on top of the wheel then it works.i held the - & + and it still does not work.the car sometimes does not want to move.they say xmod evo's suck at least it goes when i pull the triger.i thought i could race a few but now ihave to go and buy a board or just buy a mini z Give me a price. I would like to get one for great deal.

EMU
2008.04.03, 11:56 PM
The good thing is that all of the hop ups are compatable with the MR02 :D

Many have felt the pain... Including myself, about 10x :eek: One thing to note, they are better now than they were when I got them.

yamar6
2008.04.04, 12:21 AM
i know but i found the 2.4 kit for 135.00 and a MR02 is about the same.the chassis feels like it is made with good plastic.i should of bought a mini z from start.but the radio looked sweet.The good thing is that all of the hop ups are compatable with the MR02 :D

Many have felt the pain... Including myself, about 10x :eek: One thing to note, they are better now than they were when I got them.

yamar6
2008.04.04, 12:23 AM
maybe you can help me.My car sometimes don't go when i pull the triger.if that happens i have to go in reverse then it goes.Ive got a Firelap Im taking on as a project. All the soldering to the board has been redone (its never good) and the FETs have been replaced with 4562s. So far I havent been able to run it much. Ive got one of the new porsche 962s and the tires dont hook up good enough to race. Im going to be switching it over the a different body and giving it a chance on the track.

EMU
2008.04.04, 12:28 AM
Yea, they disguise it in good packaging. I wish it was competetive with Kyosho, it would only help us. The consumers will benefit, since Kyosho would have to slash its prices a bit. Right now, they completely dominate the market. Iwaver/Firelap are not even a concern, since they cant get their act straight.

When they can get a car together, that will perform as well as it looks, then I will get another. Right now, they are basically project chassis... That you have to outfit with aftermarket electronics.

I now do more research before I purchase a product, and dont worry as much about the price. Its not worth the hassle to save a few bucks. I dont make a lot of money, but my time is very limited. I dont want to spend all my free time to get something to work the way it should out of the box.

yamar6
2008.04.06, 11:16 AM
for the guys who having problems with your radio.my problem was the buttons sometimes worked.My brother in law found the problem.tight down the stearing wheele it's working for 2 days now.so we fixed that problem now i have to see why the car some times just stops.i now it's not the radio cause i tried my traxxas one and did the same thing.

fangel
2008.04.06, 10:10 PM
A lot of interersting information and insight.
The electronics has always been a big issue with us.
It's really hard to find a good programmer or manufacture that could build us a PCB that could match up to Kyosho for a good price.
I know it's not perfect now, but we are still looking and trying to improve on the PCB.

yamar6
2008.04.06, 10:52 PM
i think it's the soldering.a couple guys told me the cars run better after they redid everything.the soldering always looks dry.but my car is coming out sweet though.i just have to see why it stops sometimesA lot of interersting information and insight.
The electronics has always been a big issue with us.
It's really hard to find a good programmer or manufacture that could build us a PCB that could match up to Kyosho for a good price.
I know it's not perfect now, but we are still looking and trying to improve on the PCB.

yamar6
2008.04.06, 11:02 PM
update on the radio it is still working so thats 1 good thing.i think the car stops because there must be something loose.it just sucks because where im going to race the owner don't want to help because it's a firelap.he says it's cheap but i have to run mod.he makes no sense.im going to try to put my servo saver in i hope i don't have to buy a new car after trying this.for the guys who having problems with your radio.my problem was the buttons sometimes worked.My brother in law found the problem.tight down the stearing wheele it's working for 2 days now.so we fixed that problem now i have to see why the car some times just stops.i now it's not the radio cause i tried my traxxas one and did the same thing.

kja812
2008.04.07, 01:22 AM
i think it's the soldering.a couple guys told me the cars run better after they redid everything.the soldering always looks dry.but my car is coming out sweet though.i just have to see why it stops sometimes

If they are using lead-free solder processes (required by law to sell into the european union as of mid-2006) the surface of the solder joints may look dull and somewhat rough.

Lead-free solder joints look a lot different than your typical smooth and shiny "leaded" solder joint.

It could be a large number of other things as well - just a thought.

hrdrvr
2008.04.07, 08:51 AM
After I resoldered all of mine the powering off problem went away. Ony my older FireLap it went away for a while, but came back after a few monts of racing. I have recently discovered the problem and think I have it fixed again. On the older one, it was a loose battery wire connection. On the new one, all of the soldered connections were loose, so I cant say for sure which was causeing the problem.

The newer chassis plastic is allright, but I would get a Z if you can afford it. This is a good project car for me, and I like piddling, but when I get a chance to do some racing, it stays in the pit box. Im hoping I can get it together to race with Zs, but having an Iwaiver/FireLap compete consistantly has been a desire of mine for quite some time :lol:

fangel
2008.04.07, 10:21 PM
We have switched to lead free soldering process already, that is why the solder joints looks dull and rough. But then again the connection might not be too good because it is done manually and not done by machine of sonic solder.
I guess the QC is still not perfect, but we try to provide a good product at a very low cost.

hrdrvr
2008.04.08, 08:05 AM
Well, Ive said it a hundred times, if you are trying to get into competetive racing, then a Z is the only way to go. If you are looking to take a step up from Xmods, or want an around the house beater with hobby grade hop-ups, then this is the car for you. Im still set on getting one to race with (and beat) Zs, but its taking me a lot of time and effort to get it to the point of even being race dependable.

FWIW, the servo is weaker than the Z servo as well. When I have both cars off of the ground the steering throw is the same, but I dont get the same turning radius or response form the FL when on the track.

This car is a BIG step up from Xmods, but stil suffers from some QC issues. As fangel says, they are constantly working to better this situation, and from some one who has had a couple generations of Iwaivers/FireLaps, I can say, I agree. QC is getting better, but its got a LONG way to go to catch up to the likes of Kyosho. With that being said, there is a HUGE price point difference between the two models that needs to be taken into consideration when comparing the two.

kja812
2008.04.08, 09:34 PM
We have switched to lead free soldering process already, that is why the solder joints looks dull and rough. But then again the connection might not be too good because it is done manually and not done by machine of sonic solder.
I guess the QC is still not perfect, but we try to provide a good product at a very low cost.

Wow! I can't beleive that you can hand solder for less $ than an SMT line. With SMT contractors around that charge about $0.05 per part, here in North America its tough to justify hand labour. Of course the cost of labour is much lower in Asia.

fangel
2008.04.08, 10:18 PM
Hand soldering is very cheap and very common in China and other developing countries.
The problem is not the labour but it is the price of the machine. In a small to medium size factory, it is very easy to setup 10-20 people with a hand solder to do production soldering, while buying and supporting a soldering machine will cost much more. I know it sounds strange, but the thing is the investment amount.

hrdrvr,
I would agree with you, price and performance ratio is fairly high for Firelap. I know there are still some QC problem, and some of the parts are not up to par. But if you compare it with the closes competitor (Xmods) then it is a big different in terms of spec and performance. Xmods is leaning toward a "open and play" toys, while Firelap is an introductory hobby goods.

yamar6
2008.04.09, 12:20 AM
that sounds all good.a mini z is about 130.00 for a 02 don't even want to get in the price of a 2.4.but if firelap should go the fm route and charge 10.00 or 15.00 more dollars and the car runs perfect out of box like kyosho i would spend 75.00 cause the radio alone is worth it.so what im saying is a few more dollars for a great racer that will take mr02 parts i think you will sell more.iwaver is trying to come to there own but are they going to have parts out there like kyosho.all im saying is better electronics and they will buy.with xmod evo not the first junk they made.if carson comes out with a true AM or FM with the same chassis a little better plastic i think it could out handle the kyosho AWD.carson already came out with a truck that is a true AM and it has the evo chassis.Hand soldering is very cheap and very common in China and other developing countries.
The problem is not the labour but it is the price of the machine. In a small to medium size factory, it is very easy to setup 10-20 people with a hand solder to do production soldering, while buying and supporting a soldering machine will cost much more. I know it sounds strange, but the thing is the investment amount.

hrdrvr,
I would agree with you, price and performance ratio is fairly high for Firelap. I know there are still some QC problem, and some of the parts are not up to par. But if you compare it with the closes competitor (Xmods) then it is a big different in terms of spec and performance. Xmods is leaning toward a "open and play" toys, while Firelap is an introductory hobby goods.

fangel
2008.04.09, 10:51 PM
If you don't already know we sell kyosho in our store as well.
Here is a food for though, you could buy a Firelap 2.0 for the chassis and the plastic, then upgrade to a 2.4G electronics so you could switch out the weakest link. (servo and electronics), I know this is not the cheapest option for a MR-02 chassis, but it is the cheapest 2.4G combo for MR-02 chassis.

As for upgrading the Firelap for FM, since our TX is actually power by Inopo AFM2, you could buy the FM module box from us and be able to control in FM. as for the receiver we do have it in FM, but it is not in the form of ESC that you find in iwaver 02M.

marc
2008.07.08, 11:43 PM
Hi there fangel, is Iwaver going to venture in the 2.4 field?

marc
2008.07.08, 11:54 PM
So it's X-Mods= toy's, Firelap= introductory to the hobby, Kyosho Mini-Z= hobby. Right? I think the newest 02M chassis from Iwaver has potential, I like it's design despite the stiff rear, and I liked the idea of being able to use an aftermarket servo for the steering with that 3-pin connector. But the electronics is the biggest issue. I wonder what aftermarket 2.4 electronic system would work for it?

fangel
2008.07.09, 11:20 PM
I have heard from other member that you could use off the shelf micro speed controller and receiver for this.

fozhunter239
2008.07.11, 02:57 PM
is the 02m iwaver better in quality than the earlier iwaver and firelap car? also watz thee difference between firlap and iwaver? i'm looking to invest in higher quality micro than my xmod. plz donttell me get a mini-z if i wanted something that highpriced i would get atomic built xmod i dont like kyosho as since i'm more in to the biger scale of rc cars and thier not the best for bigger sacle. plus it seems that everyone has a mini-z and i dont want the same as anyone esle

marc
2008.07.12, 10:28 AM
In that case, I'd get the 02M, it is better than the earlier Iwaver's and Firelap's which are basically clones of Kyosho's MR02. So, if you want to be different than other people, why get a cheap clone of what their racing? Just get the 02M and the upgrades for it. I've got one of the Mini Cooper's and all the hop-up's for it I can sell you at a reasonable price. Don't know if it still work's though.

fozhunter239
2008.07.12, 09:43 PM
sry but no thanx i can get a brand new 02m for sixty or so dollars. so the 02m isnt a clone? but i like the design and the carbon parts you can get for it. have you had problems with it. and watz the difference between a firelap and an iwaver 01?

yamar6
2008.07.13, 10:17 PM
i have a brand new hooked up firlap car only F/S.evrything is changed im selling it for 95.00 shipped.it has over 100.00 dolars worth of hop ups.and it's all newsry but no thanx i can get a brand new 02m for sixty or so dollars. so the 02m isnt a clone? but i like the design and the carbon parts you can get for it. have you had problems with it. and watz the difference between a firelap and an iwaver 01?

fangel
2008.07.13, 10:50 PM
As far as I know, there is current no clone of iwaver 02M yet. The overall chassis design for iwaver 02M has been innovative. We are the first to incoperate a standard 3pin servo into the 1/28th scale chassis. The upgrades parts will provide many fine tune and performance upgrades for serious racer.

The overall quaility is very good, we had not been suffering from what is previously associated with Firelap.

Firelap NanoRacer 2 is a clone copy of MR-02, however it provide a better Transmitter power by Inopo AFM2. Iwaver 01 is an downgrade version of 02M. iwaver 02M is FM and iwaver 01 is AM.

fozhunter239
2008.07.16, 09:52 PM
so the 02m is the way to go? i really like it! has anyone raced one against a mini-z (both stock)? i'll check in the actual iwaver fourn also.

fangel
2008.07.17, 10:19 PM
I have replied to this post in the iwaver main forum. Please view the post from there.

Customizer
2013.01.13, 02:49 AM
All the soldering helped a lot. It is a lot less glitchy now. Also Ive owned 2 Iwaivers and now 2 Firelaps, and all of them have had power problems (car shutting down on small impacts) or the steering will just go out. This new FireLap that is totally reslodered doesnt seem to have those problems right now. As I track test it more, Ill know if it can hold up.

After I re soldered all of mine the powering off problem went away. On my my older FireLap it went away for a while, but came back after a few months of racing. I have recently discovered the problem and think I have it fixed again. On the older one, it was a loose battery wire connection. On the new one, all of the soldered connections were loose, so I cant say for sure which was causeing the problem.

The newer chassis plastic is allright, but I would get a Z if you can afford it. This is a good project car for me, and I like piddling, but when I get a chance to do some racing, it stays in the pit box. Im hoping I can get it together to race with Zs, but having an Iwaiver/FireLap compete consistantly has been a desire of mine for quite some time :lol:

I 2nd this. I went through the same thing recently and after replacing the power and GND wires leading from the battery contacts to the IW01 board the problems went away. It's quite fun to drive now actually.