PDA

View Full Version : Tires lose a grip

hans_wiz
2008.04.04, 02:29 AM
I have a problem with my tires. They lose grip after some race time dramatically. With front tires it is not so big problem, because some slipping is good, but rear tires must have good grip and they must last longer then 15 minutes. We race on RCP and my tire combination is: 3Racing 10deg front and rear and now PN Racing 15deg slick front / 8deg radial rear. GRP foam tires are better, but after some longer period they lose also grip. Must I clean them somehow? Most of our drivers use foams, but I see that silicone/rubber tires have similar grip and I don't want to glue and sand foam tires.

mk2kompressor
2008.04.04, 02:46 AM
what surface do you race on?
if mine get dusty i scrape them with a blade

hans_wiz
2008.04.04, 03:28 AM
what surface do you race on?
if mine get dusty i scrape them with a blade
Surface is RCP and it goes dirty, because Hobbyshop makes birthday events and not everybody walks around it. But, why it happens middle of the race. Yesterday was it so, that I run two 3-4 min race and made 30 min brake. Everything was fine. In final race my grip was like I'm driving on ice :eek:

Programmers
2008.04.04, 03:40 AM
Like MK2 said, tyres pick up dirt when they're a high grip compound.

Another way of cleaning them is insulation tape. However, these sort of fixes are temporary. The best approach is trying to wear them in or finding a new balance.

mleemor60
2008.04.04, 06:21 AM
Surface is RCP and it goes dirty, because Hobbyshop makes birthday events and not everybody walks around it. But, why it happens middle of the race. Yesterday was it so, that I run two 3-4 min race and made 30 min brake. Everything was fine. In final race my grip was like I'm driving on ice :eek:

Some tires are temperature and humidity sensative. From the time you started until the time you ran your Main, how much warmer did it get around the race track? Anything over 75degrees will send some tires to skidsville.

byebye
2008.04.04, 06:25 AM
The best most consistent tires I've ran are Kyosho 20 wide rear (mzw17-20) or Reflex Racing SSG2WD. In your case the SSG2WD from Reflex would be your best bet. The grooves will pick up less dirt and will warm up faster than a straight slick on a dusty track.

Kris

hans_wiz
2008.04.04, 07:14 AM
Some tires are temperature and humidity sensative. From the time you started until the time you ran your Main, how much warmer did it get around the race track? Anything over 75degrees will send some tires to skidsville.
Actually I don't know, because I don't have tool to measure it. But I believe, that over 75 degrees it goes not. We have too small track with many curves and speed is not very high. I have MR-02 with single layer 4562 fet's and with atomic stock-r motor, which is turned from Futaba 2PL transmitter to 50% of max performance. Also differential is not closed but set to slip a bit out.

DJ Kyosho
2008.04.04, 11:26 AM
I agree with byebye on running the kyosho 20s. Those are the only rear tires I run now. They are very consistent and you can run them til the spur hits the track. I haven't tried the reflex racing tires but I've heard really good things about them.

simalive
2008.04.04, 12:49 PM
I tried the tip mentioned on AtomicMods' website: which is to rub the tires with WD-40. It cleans and soften up the tires and also dramatically brings back grip with old tires.

Having said that, I did also notice that with using WD-40, the tires would loose its grip again during a race. Sometimes the grip level's drop-off rate is drastic enough to affect the car's handling during a 5 minutes heat...

EMU
2008.04.04, 01:02 PM
I have the same issue with my cars. The Kyosho 20d tires are very consistant. I have grooved a few sets and it helps them last through the race without needing to be cleaned as much.

I try not to clean them during practice, so I can find a better balance when they start to lose grip. Temperature at my track makes a big difference on the grip as well. I try to set my cars up to push just a little, so if the rear loses grip it will still be controllable.

hpgod
2008.04.04, 02:10 PM
I tried the tip mentioned on AtomicMods' website: which is to rub the tires with WD-40. It cleans and soften up the tires and also dramatically brings back grip with old tires.

Having said that, I did also notice that with using WD-40, the tires would loose its grip again during a race. Sometimes the grip level's drop-off rate is drastic enough to affect the car's handling during a 5 minutes heat...

WD40 ONLY IMPROVES GRIP FOR ~ 4 1/2 MINUTES LOCALY. Pain its a pain in the butt on a local track where kyosho 20s do not work at all, ok grip then its like driving on ice. In the 2wd its ok as other tire where available but in f1 all we had we kyosho s till this week.

CristianTabush
2008.04.04, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the good plug on our SSG's. We have found these to be the tire of choice in green tracks (new layouts, low grip) at big events, as well as cooler weather. In higher grip tracks, I love PN 10's, they actually get up to temp and wear like 8's and 6's from PN do in medium to high grip tracks. The 6's are very good, but wear out fairly quick. This is the advantage of our SSG's, they last a whole lot longer than 6's which are one run tires (as well as the 8's in certain circumstances). Kyosho 20 slicks are the only tires in slick form that work well in medium to high grip situations. Once the tread is gone in your PN's they are good for pretty much nothing.

When I ran PN tires, I remember I switched them about every 15-20 minutes of runtime, that's all they are good for to be at top performance. Tires are a disposable item, always keep a good stock of them if you want to stay competitive. In an average race night, I would use a new set for 3 qualifiers and a new set for the mains. Then I would use my tires from the mains for practice. The good thing is tires are fairly inexpensive.

hans_wiz
2008.04.06, 02:34 AM
Thx for everyone! I cleaned all my tires with technical spirit and let's see how it works. Also I have experience with WD-40, but it is temporary. It's good to know how much time some tires last and how many sets I need for one race. And I have foam tires in my box :D

color01
2008.04.06, 06:09 PM
I have the same issue with my cars. The Kyosho 20d tires are very consistant. I have grooved a few sets and it helps them last through the race without needing to be cleaned as much.
EMU, how are you grooving your tires? I have a spare pair of PN 6's I'd like to try this on.

EMU
2008.04.06, 09:43 PM
I used a comm lathe that was modified by DaveyG. I am sure that you could do something with an old diff shaft, wheel adapter chucked into a dremel...

color01
2008.04.06, 10:52 PM
Thanks EMU, I'll go looking for a suitable cutting bit. Maybe an old endmill (CNC tooling) will do the trick.

EMU
2008.04.06, 11:14 PM
With your tools, you could probably groove your name into the tires :P

hans_wiz
2008.04.07, 07:12 AM
When and why you cut tires? If tire is slick or already new tires? What is cut pattern?

EMU
2008.04.07, 12:06 PM
When I groove my tires, I do 3 shallow grooves along the length of the tires. It helps it hook up better coming out of the corner. I dont like deep grooves, since they tend to squirm too much. I would like to build my own tire groover... Since most of my grooved tires are getting worn, and I would like to groove them again.

herman
2008.04.10, 02:15 AM
'let's groove tonight'.... (ew&f)
I would like to build my own tire groover... Since most of my grooved tires are getting worn, and I would like to groove them again.
now that's groovy... :D

atallfunguy
2008.12.29, 02:37 PM

I used to do this also and it cost me races..

Now I just scrape with an xacto blade