PDA

View Full Version : Offset on different tracks

Jebroni
2008.04.05, 11:13 AM
have any of you guys experienced traction loss due to offsets being too small? I am just wondering because it seems the more I go bigger in the back, the more stability. may sound dumb, but I never thought about it in terms of traction.... steering yes... but not traction

marc
2008.04.05, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure about this. I do know wider bodies handle the turn better, and narrower bodies tend to flip if you go to fast around turn's. The Mini Cooper for instance really like's to flip if driven too fast. The AWD Subaru WRX I used to have would flip. I assume wider offset will help narrow bodies, might not look good, but might work effectivley. I've been wanting to do a wide bodied Mini Cooper using F1 wheel's, that should really stick to the track. Just play with it and test for your self. Post what you find.

Jebroni
2008.04.05, 01:06 PM
thanks. I am finding out wider is not only mor stable, but hops a lot less as well.

marc
2008.04.05, 02:04 PM
I have not experienced the hopping thing. Only spinning out with wrong tires, or flipping. One issue I'm having is the rubber slip's off on the front and causes steering issues. I've tried double-stick tape but it doesn't work for me. I'll have to glue my tires on for next weekend. This is especially true on the grippier AWD.

Programmers
2008.04.05, 05:43 PM
I think offset plays a massive role in faster cars.

I ran 0 all around with my open car and the handling was twitchy and uncontrollable.

I didn't change a thing... I put a VDSII on it and the difference that 6mm made was astounding. My car handled as if it was a new car. It was most noticeable in and exiting corners.

I also love the Enzo offset. :)

Jebroni
2008.04.05, 07:57 PM
I think offset plays a massive role in faster cars.

I ran 0 all around with my open car and the handling was twitchy and uncontrollable.

I didn't change a thing... I put a VDSII on it and the difference that 6mm made was astounding. My car handled as if it was a new car. It was most noticeable in and exiting corners.

I also love the Enzo offset. :)

Yeah, I spent this week and last weekend really thinking about what I wanted to go with, since I have to build a new car, and cince I am only going to have one, I decided for now to do a Red FXX AWD setup..... I hope it works out nice

byebye
2008.04.05, 09:08 PM
Someone wrote a good article or thread on wheels offsets. I think it was magic man.

The wider you go in the rear the more grip and stability. But there is also the tricycle affect. THe wider rear and narrow front help it turn in a little quicker than a car that is even width around. Tires adds to the effect.

If you run any MR-02 body on an awd(same narrow offset chassis as the mr-015) you'll need to run a +2 front to match the normal 0 offset that an MR-02 is.

You'll also need the laydown crystal adapter unless you run the ASF board.

Kris

Jebroni
2008.04.05, 09:13 PM
Someone wrote a good article or thread on wheels offsets. I think it was magic man.

The wider you go in the rear the more grip and stability. But there is also the tricycle affect. THe wider rear and narrow front help it turn in a little quicker than a car that is even width around. Tires adds to the effect.

If you run any MR-02 body on an awd(same narrow offset chassis as the mr-015) you'll need to run a +2 front to match the normal 0 offset that an MR-02 is.

You'll also need the laydown crystal adapter unless you run the ASF board.

Kris

Funny you mention that Kris, I actually am running an AWD ASF setup now. Just got it back today. MY ASF 02 was smashed to all hell, but the board worked. I had my friend in Utah (Nic Z), put the board in an AWD chassis.

So you are saying that I would need +3 in the rear, and +3 in the front?

Jebroni
2008.04.05, 09:19 PM
Also, Kris, what do you use the PDA in your pitbox for????? Music? Just curious, but I could have sworn I saw a pda in the inside lid....

byebye
2008.04.06, 03:57 AM
+3 all around sounds right. I remember running +1 Wide in the rear and 0 Wide in the front for a 350gtc body. It was really twitchy. It had good grip all around but with awd it's not about trying to get grip it's getting it to run fast and flat through the corners.

Yes LOL that was a PDA in the pitbox. I'm into gadgets and that was one of them. I put that pitbox together for the 12 hour race in Germany and thought I'd have enough time to chill and watch a movie or listen to music. Not the case I found out later. I didn't even pull it out of the suit case.

Kris

Programmers
2008.04.06, 07:22 AM
+3 all around sounds right. I remember running +1 Wide in the rear and 0 Wide in the front for a 350gtc body. It was really twitchy. It had good grip all around but with awd it's not about trying to get grip it's getting it to run fast and flat through the corners.
I ran these offsets and body on an MR02 to find the same problem... Very twitchy and unstable.

marc
2008.06.25, 12:57 PM
Think of Pontiac's add's on tv. Wider is better!