PDA

View Full Version : Lthium Quick Question

blt456
2008.04.07, 12:41 AM
Hello, I am new to Mini-Z, I do not own one yet, I am looking at the mr-02 series, as it is faster.

I was going to go all-out with it, MOSFETs, custom tall-gearing, lithium, atomic/pn racing parts, and a motor.

I have read it's pointless to do lithium in the Mini-Z cars and trucks, I think it wears away the board quicker compared to NiMh, but is it really that bad?

I do have some Energier 900mAh IC3's, but I wanted to go fast..
Thanks for reading, and comments!:)

mk2kompressor
2008.04.07, 01:25 AM
drive it first;)
compared to xmods these things are rapid:D
this had a stock r and 2x2 of 3010 fets,plenty quick enough:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uji7UGif4jQ

Action B
2008.04.07, 01:35 AM
I ran lithiums on my MA-010. Guys on this board convinced me it would be bad in the long run. It was very fast though, maybe too fast.

Here is the conversation, this would all apply to an MR-02 the same.

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28081

EMU
2008.04.07, 05:12 PM
There are aftermarket turbos that allow you to run 7.4v with a BEC of 5v returned to the main board. Atomicmods makes one, and there used to be a Nelly deluxe (dont know if it is still available). I had a Nelly deluxe, and liked it a lot, although I fried it stupidly by not insulating the power connector. I wish I still had it :(

EMU
2008.04.07, 05:29 PM
Its not for the fets. Its to regulate the voltage to the PCB. So you dont overvolt it and screw up the steering. Only the Nelly Deluxe had the 5v BEC. The battery power goes to the motor, but the main elecrtronics would only have 5v.

nitroman38
2008.04.07, 08:59 PM
Hello, I am new to Mini-Z, I do not own one yet, I am looking at the mr-02 series, as it is faster.

I was going to go all-out with it, MOSFETs, custom tall-gearing, lithium, atomic/pn racing parts, and a motor.

I have read it's pointless to do lithium in the Mini-Z cars and trucks, I think it wears away the board quicker compared to NiMh, but is it really that bad?

I do have some Energier 900mAh IC3's, but I wanted to go fast..
Thanks for reading, and comments!:)

when i built my mr-02 i ran lithum on it no doubt it is fast but the steering twitch is outragous i got 30+ out of mine but going in a straight line is about impossible because the front wheels twitch back and forth constantly my comment is (DON'T do it) run aaa's team orion or team scream matched cells.

Action B
2008.04.08, 02:04 AM
when i built my mr-02 i ran lithum on it no doubt it is fast but the steering twitch is outragous i got 30+ out of mine but going in a straight line is about impossible because the front wheels twitch back and forth constantly my comment is (DON'T do it) run aaa's team orion or team scream matched cells.

Was the steering twitch immediately following lithium installation?

nitroman38
2008.04.08, 04:44 PM
Was the steering twitch immediately following lithium installation?

(yes)and it was bad.when i ordered the lithum pack i was told that they would be a twitch in the front wheels but i didn't know it would be as bad as it was. not worth it if you ask me.

Action B
2008.04.08, 05:50 PM
(yes)and it was bad.when i ordered the lithum pack i was told that they would be a twitch in the front wheels but i didn't know it would be as bad as it was. not worth it if you ask me.

Interesting, what kind of board was this on? 3004 or 3010 FETs?

2 in series for 7.4 volts correct?

Sorry for all the questions, I've been researching some the effects of lithium on Mini-Zs.

nitroman38
2008.04.08, 08:49 PM
Interesting, what kind of board was this on? 3004 or 3010 FETs?

2 in series for 7.4 volts correct?

Sorry for all the questions, I've been researching some the effects of lithium on Mini-Zs.

3010 fets and yes 2 in series for 7.4 volts.

cowboysir
2008.04.08, 09:05 PM
I had an idea for you to try if you were serious about staying with li-po's...

When I did the xmod thing, there was a trick to adding steering throw in the servo where you added a couple 3.3k resistors onto the pot wires.

One of the interesting side effects of that resistor addition is that the steering twitch was reduced when you switched to li-po's (or some 7.2/7.4volt source).

Do you think you'd want to try this on your mini-z? I realize steering is more than ample but you could dial the dual rate way back to compensate...

Not that I'm afan of 7.4 volt mini-z's...I believe (now) that these cars were designed with a specific voltage and ballast weight for racing and that by over powering your voltage supply you will wreck something in the long run.

Action B
2008.04.09, 02:03 AM

Did you ever convert it back to AAAs? Its odd, I lipo'd mine for awhile, never twitched once. I changed it back more recently, but I ran for awhile with no ill effects whatsoever. I would have told everyone lipos work flawlessly, others warned me so until further notice I dont have them in.

Action B
2008.04.09, 08:45 PM
Action-B, since you have past knowledge..

In xmods, usually LiPo RWD cars spin out.
Is this the same with the mr-02, I mean I can go high on the checker, but will it just do burnouts?:o

I've never put one on an MR-02, only have experience with MA-010. However, I can tell you with AAAs on my kitchen floor (linoleum) an MR-02 is ridiculous- no traction at all. I'd assume on RCP you could actually use it as long as you didn't gear too low.

All i know is that MR-02 is pretty worthless in low grip situations in stock form even with upgrade tires. It will just burn and do a straight 180 unless you go REALLY slow and REALLY easy on the throttle.

Shadow Runner
2008.04.21, 08:42 PM
Just a quick question, does anyone here run the AM Li-ion pro kits on the Mini-Z series?:)

When you say AM do you mean Atomic Mods? If so, yes I do. I posted pics here (http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=298492&postcount=589)

Shadow Runner
2008.04.22, 07:19 AM
Yeah, AtomicMods.
Hm...how do you like it, like about how fast is it?

I do not now exactly but on my track I never get past 3/4 the top speed. (I also have a 2X2 fet stack of the atomic mods $2 fets)

And, what happened to the + wire on the Micro-Deans, it looked as if it went to hell and back.:eek:

the wire was either lose or it fell off (don't quite remmember) so I took the wrap off and soldered the wire back on.

I carved out lots of the battery area to postion the batteries closer to the middle and lower to the ground for faster turning. :)